WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Recommendations for Places to Live in San Diego

Shorty

Reaction score
So I will be moving down to San Diego in November and I am starting to do some research on where would be a good place to live. I will be working across the street from the Airport and will be commuting in morning traffic (have to be at work by 7:30) so looking for somewhere that won't be too bad on traffic. I would like to keep my commute under 45 Minutes

Right now I am looking for a 2 Bedroom Apartment or Condo under $1400 a month. I would really like somewhere that is not "ghetto", somewhere I know I can park my car and truck outside without having to worry about anyone trying to break into it.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated of areas to stay away from. So far I have been looking at places online off Friars north of the 8, and then off the 94 before you make it into La Mesa, though never actually living and commuting in the area its tough to gauge where is nice and how the commute would be.

Thanks in advance for the input.

2Driver

Reaction score
Scripps ranch is nice I worked there and my wife commuted to downtown with relative ease

J.T.

Reaction score
Poway is GREAT accept you might be on the edge of that commute time. Mission Valley is not bad but Rent is higher in the area. Don't discount the beach areas if you are looking at apartments IIRC OB and PB rent is not to shabby plus you get the benefit of walking to some GREAT little eateries and bars.

Lemon Grove, Spring Valley are great options as well. not to bad on the commute

laynhose

Reaction score
Its tough to find a 2 bedroom for that price in SD. Try a condo complex called rancho mission trails. It is about 5 years old privately owned units in your price range. 7659 mission gorge rd sd 92120. good luck

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I've heard Hillcrest is a nice area. :D

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I'd look at Bay Park or West end of Clairemont.

You want amenitities? House or apartment? Garage?

FASTJTBT144

Reaction score
Try to stay out of east county its nice out there but very hot

Fltplan

Reaction score
Friars road just north of the 8 is good for apartments and centralized. You can get anywhere fast and plenty of entertainment close. Work would only be 10 minutes if that! Just you or a family as well?

HotRod82

Reaction score
Friars road just north of the 8 is good for apartments and centralized. You can get anywhere fast and plenty of entertainment close. Work would only be 10 minutes if that! Just you or a family as well?

X2.

IMO I would stay away from Spring Valley and Lemon Grove unless you like replacing your car stereo every week. Most of Hillcrest actually IS very nice unless you are a homophobe. BTW you know who hangs out with gay men? HOT CHICKS! There is more (straight) talent in Hillcrest than in PB.....just sayin.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
My wife is a realtor and I am a lender in San Diego. Give us a call. 619-255-3182.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Before I got married, I was living in La Mesa and loved the area. I had an apartment on Lake Murray Blvd, just north of the 8 fwy. I loved the location because it was across the street from Lake Murray and was pretty much a 15 minute drive from everything. They have just recently updated the apartments http://www.adagioapthomes.com/ Lots of other nice rental places in that area too. Good luck to you!

Shorty

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the large amount of input. To add a little more to my additional post.

The apartment will be just for myself, 21 year old, no family yet. Not too picky on amenities, would like A/C, in unit laundry would be a big plus, and a Garage or Carport would be a plus but it would not be a determining factor.

Anyone from the area what are the freeways like getting into downtown in the morning, I am thinking something like the 91 in rush hour traffic, is it that bad, or is it going to be at least moving everyday?

BarryMac

An Adelanto 9...
Reaction score
I live in Poway, takes my GF around 20 minutes to get to Pt. Loma area for work, I would guess that downtown may be 10 more minutes if that. Good luck, you're gonna love living in SD...

TOBTEK

Reaction score
I live in Poway, takes my GF around 20 minutes to get to Pt. Loma area for work, I would guess that downtown may be 10 more minutes if that. Good luck, you're gonna love living in SD...

Working in Pt Loma ?????? What happend in Carlsbad?

Or you now at Les Girls/body shop..:champagne:

BarryMac

An Adelanto 9...
Reaction score
Working in Pt Loma ?????? What happend in Carlsbad?

Or you now at Les Girls/body shop..:champagne:

Reading comprehension 101 brother. My GF works in Pt. Loma... :D

W.O.T MARINE

Reaction score
Try looking for a place in the Carlsbad lagoon. The drive to work may be a bit more than your looking for but the location is worth it. Ive been there for 7 years and love it. Its a small area with all privately owned condos that are right on the water and its boating friendly. It should be in your price range and most places have garages.

Attachments

• CIMG0007.jpg
    CIMG0007.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 72

Dave Sammons

Reaction score
Try looking for a place in the Carlsbad lagoon. The drive to work may be a bit more than your looking for but the location is worth it. Ive been there for 7 years and love it. Its a small area with all privately owned condos that are right on the water and its boating friendly. It should be in your price range and most places have garages.
Pretty sure Carlsbad is closed....:D:D

Singleton

Reaction score

Carlsbad is great. I rented a 4 bedroom house for 1800 before I purchased my current place. Lagoon is nice (boats under 20 feet only), only issue the drive to the airport is 45 minutes no traffic.