WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

recommendations on 502 heads?

RJB

Reaction score
I'm considering replacing the top end on my stock 1996 MAG 502MPI, (Black motor). I'm Looking at cost and performance so I think it may be a better choice to go with a new set of alum heads rather them gone through the originals. I's to keep it close to the original 8.75:1 compression. with so many choices out there these days, I'm looking for a recommendation on brand part number. So far it looks like Brodix makes a decent product. Not seeing the same reviews for Eddleborck.
Thanks

BUSTI

Reaction score
I'm considering replacing the top end on my stock 1996 MAG 502MPI, (Black motor). I'm Looking at cost and performance so I think it may be a better choice to go with a new set of alum heads rather them gone through the originals. I's to keep it close to the original 8.75:1 compression. with so many choices out there these days, I'm looking for a recommendation on brand part number. So far it looks like Brodix makes a decent product. Not seeing the same reviews for Eddleborck.
Thanks
Call Teague. They'll get you set up. I believe they have AFR and Edelbrock options. Both with hard anodized jackets. Even the Colorado river will cause aluminum heads to corrode a little and I have seen the most corrosion on the Brodix heads. They will have a cam selection to go with your set up too.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Call GT Performance. Gary has plenty of great combos depending on budget/needs.

Husqy510

Reaction score
I'm curious why you want to stick with the low compression? You can easily get away with more with aluminum heads in a marine application.

RJB

Reaction score
Thank you folks. I’ll give both Teague and GT performance a call.

Thoughts behind sticking with lower original compression: ability to run on pump gasoline offered in California. I don’t mind running the 91 octane, it’s just the crappy gas that’s available here . Do you feel I could get away with 9.5 to 10:1

Husqy510

Reaction score
We're running 10.4:1 on crappy CA gas. Aluminum heads and endless amounts of cold water to cool the motor really helps.

RJB

Reaction score
Ok I’ll definitely consider it; next to using the right cam, that Is probably the most efficient way to gain HP.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
The edelbrock head are a good piece. Edelbrock makes the heads for GM that are on the 525 efi motor.

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks

If you match a cam and tune we prefer a Brodix bb3cnc snd our calibration. Edelbrock is good if you not changing much [emoji1303]

Sent from my Efi Beacon!