WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Redoing a failed fiberglass patch

lantz

Reaction score
I need advice now more than anything...not really a project.

I've got a 97 Kawasaki 750SS. My younger sister tagged a standup about 15 years ago and softened up a 6"x6" inch portion of the bow under the rail about 12" back from the front.

We ground down the edges of the of the part that was pushed in..inside and out. Then we just put down new fiberglass and sanded things and repainted white.

After 15 years of pounding wakes, the inside of the patch just popped off in one piece, and the outside ripped off and pulled the initially soft part all the way out, including some of the outside layer of glass. I've now got a sizeable hole in the bow.

I know...I should post pics...I will....

Can some one point me to the ABC's of patching a larger hole? This is going to be done in the garage out here at the river...probably after it cools off. It's going to stay in the family, so it doesn't have to be a work of art. I just want it to be stronger....

Thanks

lantz

Reaction score
An hour ago, this forum wasn't called home remodels/ new builds...move it...next time, i'm just posting in the lounge....

jetboatmatt

Reaction score
West Marine has a system called the West system of fiberglass repair. It works really well. You have to clean it really well, grind down to the clean white fibers. Then its a matter of layering from small to big. they have plenty of books on it. Did it to the bottom of my jet boat and lasted for 14 years till I sold it. you do the inside and out to sandwich it!!! Goodluck:D