WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Referrals for a fitted suit?

HBCraig

Reaction score
Guys
I am looking to buy another suit, but a but more fitted this time around. If you have a referral please send it to me here or in a PM.

I have been to David August and they are getting me pricing now but it will be just under 4K

I don't mind paying for a quality product but I want one that is well made.

Thanks in advance

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Brook Brothers? or Hiras Bespoke Suits out of Hong Kong, they do trip fittings all the time in CA.

JayBreww

Reaction score
Used men’s warehouse for my wedding party, they gave me a free suit. Fits great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BingerFang

Reaction score
You can not go wrong with David August. One of my close friends is a professional fighter and is sponsored by DA. His suites are impeccable.

TBulger

Reaction score
I like the suits and fitting at Neiman Marcus, give it a try.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I bought a set of suits from jos a banks and then took them all to a tailor to be modified/fitted. You're either gonna start from scratch and have it made to fit, or buy a general suit and have it modified to fit. The later gets you close without breaking the bank.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I did a quick browse through Gucci as they come up for quality suits and about shit my pants at the stuff they offer. I really thought I was on some sort of gag site; I swear.

Hover over the photos and see the stuff being worn. It is a nice comic relief. I'm no style guru but I know that stuff is lame.

This particular one made me laugh my ass off.
https://www.gucci.com/us/en/pr/men/...yPath=Men/Ready-To-Wear-for-Men/Suits-for-Men

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I bought a set of suits from jos a banks and then took them all to a tailor to be modified/fitted. You're either gonna start from scratch and have it made to fit, or buy a general suit and have it modified to fit. The later gets you close without breaking the bank.

This has been my strategy in the past.. seems like it works for everything.

calkid

Reaction score
Jos A Banks does a great job of fitting you for a final tailoring. An off the rack suit needs a final tailoring for most men. Treat yourself to a great suit, you won't be sorry.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
My son has a guy that comes to him measure done in a couple weeks pm me if interested in socal

gqchris

Reaction score
I have been using the Mtailor app for my tshirts, and have been very impressed. The app takes pics of you, and ill be damned if the shirts arent dead on! Now, I cant vouch for the suits, but for 500$ bucks, seems worth a shot. Their customer service is top notch also.

If anyone does try it, use my link for 20% off for both of us below;

Get 20% off your first order of MTailor custom shirts, suits or jeans. Your phone's camera measures you for the perfect fit. https://www.mtailor.com/signup/?code=ntpddlqapu

hawgty55

Reaction score
Where are you located? My brother and his buddy have a guy they use there out of apple valley. So im sure hes in the IE.

JDKRXW

Reaction score

This is a Hong Kong based outfit that comes to most cities in the US and Canada. The guy you visit at a hotel will have lots of samples, and he'll take your measurements.
Pick what you want - and about 3 weeks later, you'll get the stuff in the mail.
I use them and the have some really nice stuff.
They also make some really nice women's business attire.

HBCraig

Reaction score
You can not go wrong with David August. One of my close friends is a professional fighter and is sponsored by DA. His suites are impeccable.
Yeh. They sent me the final price.

$5470.

Wow

ekbearly

Reaction score
Spier and Mackey or Suit Supply and a good local tailor to fine-tune is a way to get a high quality suit at a great price.

Black Lapel is a nice way to go if you want a step up and a more custom experience.

Full custom looks like an awesome experience but I haven’t been able to justify it for myself.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Brook Brothers? or Hiras Bespoke Suits out of Hong Kong, they do trip fittings all the time in CA.

The Hong Kong tailors are the way to go- catch one on a trip in town, get fitted and the goods arrive afterward in a twined bag.

Heres my go to Hong Kong suit fitter http://www.ashsamtani.com/Ash/Our_Location.html

I've used Ash Samtani for decades and am always the best dressed best-fitted guy around.

Catch them on a fitting trip.
By the time you buy something off the rack and then pay to make it fit the prices aren't that much different and something fitted to you will NEVER fit as well as something made for you.

I'm short, fat and ugly - a well-fitted suit wears like pajamas and works like armor in a business meeting.

Dave headshot 1.jpg
IMG_3165.jpg

Done-it-again

Reaction score
The Hong Kong tailors are the way to go- catch one on a trip in town, get fitted and the goods arrive afterward in a twined bag.

Heres my go to Hong Kong suit fitter http://www.ashsamtani.com/Ash/Our_Location.html

I've used Ash Samtani for decades and am always the best dressed best-fitted guy around.

Catch them on a fitting trip.
By the time you buy something off the rack and then pay to make it fit the prices aren't that much different and something fitted to you will NEVER fit as well as something made for you.

I'm short, fat and ugly - a well-fitted suit wears like pajamas and works like armor in a business meeting.

View attachment 848025 View attachment 848026

My father gets suits made in Hong Kong and they are great....For me I cant stay a consistent weight so either they are to small or to big to quickly. I also don't wear suits really, maybe 2x a year.

The blue suit is sharp.....like the pattern.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
My father gets suits made in Hong Kong and they are great....For me I cant stay a consistent weight so either they are to small or to big to quickly. I also don't wear suits really, maybe 2x a year.

The blue suit is sharp.....like the pattern.

Thanks, that one came out great.

Yeah.. Hong Kong is the world capital for affordable custom-tailoring. (Milan and London are also great but one suite for 4-5K is a bit of a stretch)

More Italian fabric is sent to hong kong than anywhere else in the world. You get the same fabric choices and the workmanship is equal from what I can see.

I have the same weight fluctuation

When I get a suit made I always opt for a second set of pants which they will make affordably, then I have one "fat pair" and one "thin" pair - or more realistically one " less fat" pair.

UD

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
suit???? what's this thing called "suit"?

An article of clothing only worn at weddings, funerals, trade shows, or when presenting to a crowd.

The other 99.5% of the time its jeans or shorts and a T-shirt.

UD

Good Stuff

Reaction score
In the Socal Area try Grooms Grotto. Haven’t been there personally but lots of clients and friends have used them for everything. Still building up cause I’m a cheep ass who just buys separates at $50-100 a piece but their all in price at less than $400 for a tailored combo is solid. Most of my buddies use them for weddings over renting.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I’ve used Jones of NY and Jos A Banks recently. Back in the day Men’s Warehouse.

AEA

Reaction score
Do you guys like half or full canvas better?

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...You can get some pretty nice suits on the cheap from the garment district in downtown L.A....

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

In hot climates hot convention centers and meetings where you sit a lot I vastly prefer half.

Open-air tradeshows and standing in cold weather fulls are nice

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score

I have a few suits (nothing in that 4k or 5k range like the ballers here are talking about) but I found my more fitted fashion suits like I would wear to a club or dinner a half canvas is fine since the suit is much more tailored at the waist below the rib cage and a full canvas would look odd in terms of thickness of material of the suit. Modern design tends to look much thinner material wise anyways so any added liners makes it lose that sleek look. For my suit or two I would use for a job interview a full canvas would be fine as the lower edge of the jacket tends to hang more naturally. However, both my nicer business suits are half canvas.

As for the topic at hand, I feel fit and tailoring go a long way. Even a 4500.00 suit can look like shit if you don't choose the right style or have it fit you well. I don't wear suits often, but I do feel cool when I wear one that looks and fits right!

Again, I am no style pro, but I do like the best stuff I can afford. I actually have a suit from JCPenny, I kid you not! It is blue with black large plaid slim fit. I wear with no tie and usually a nice white shirt (I like a Charles Tyrwhitt slim or extra slim fit shirts). I had it tailored by this Italian guy in a small shop here in town, and I get more compliments on that suit than any other I own. I probably didn't pay more than 150.00 for the thing! hahah. JC Penny suit and and Ernst Benz watch as that is the combo. Nobody will care who made the suit if you are wearing that watch :D

My business suit I got on sale is a Hugo Boss. Was 900.00 and I got it for like 575. It's beautiful and classic. One break at the leg tailoring since its a business suit.

If guys need shirts, I like these and super slim when I am really thin or else things look like bags on me. They are not expensive like a Tom Ford (500.00!!!!) They run about 80.00 and are worth it. Very nice quality. https://www.ctshirts.com/us/classic-collar-non-iron-royal-oxford-shirt----white/FON0219WHT.html?cgid=shirts-formal-shirts&pf=browse&dwvar_FON0219WHT_fit-variation=slim_fit#prefn1=season&prefn2=status&prefv3=Slim+fit&currentPageNum=2&prefv1=SS20&prefv2=new|continuity|terminal&prefn3=trouserFit&sz=48&start=0&cgid=shirts-formal-shirts

My father is a cowboy and wears white longsleeve shirts every day. He actually found a bunch of Brooks Brothers dress shirts at Salvation Army. Many of them brand new and never worn!!! I think a few of them were 125.00 shirts!!! hahaha.

Gripside80

Reaction score
Find a j.crew near you. They sell tailored fit suits that fit me perfect. Affordable and nice.

it really boils down to your type of build... that will determine if you can slide in to an already fitted suit with minor to no alterations or if you need a full blown fitting session.

also the shirt fit is just as important as your jacket fit. Rarely will an off the shelf shirt fit anyone. They will put two darts (Seams) in the back of your shirt to form fit your build. That way you look as sharp without your jacket as you do with it. This prevents your shirt bulging out and bunching up over your belt line. It’s worth it.

I by no means wear a suit often... but I went through the battle and process of finding the look I liked for my wedding day.

You don’t need a $1000 dollar suit to look sharp. Just one that fits your build.

good luck with your search.

Last edited:

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I personally like the Regular Guy Look. "did you see that suit? LOLOLOL"

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Grooms Grotto in Costa Mesa

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I honestly stopped listening at the price reveal

I'll bet....

The actual fabric used is way more important than the name on the inside.

Almost no one has any way of knowing which logos are actually authentic and there never was any correlation I could find with quality outside of Brioni.

A tailor shop will tell you there is no more difficulty in making a 5000 suit vs a 1000 suit - the difference is the fabric used.

UD