WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Referrals for Kitchen Cabinets and Counter tops, and advice

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Hello Inmates,
I can see that most in home improvement trades are slammed right now with business, but I would like to get in line in the new year to redo my kitchen cabinets and counter tops. Unfortunately I am not working with a 30k budget, and its just a standard L shaped condo kitchen and can't justify the expense. I am hearing a very wide range on cabinetry costs and can't quite tie it to quality levels as I am seeing MDF stuff as expensive at some places and proper maple stuff looking like a price I can pay at another place. Countertops seem pretty consistent so I am not freaking out about that right now.

Any referrals, or advice, or anyone in the trade that would be in my budget that could be recommended, or is the idea of doing this for under 15k just a stupid idea? I have a friend who is a handy man that routinely hangs cabinets and such, so I do have the avenue of utilizing his services as well and purchase the cabinets independently. Any advice is appreciated. Located in Brea, North Orange County.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I will text you my guys number. He did a killer job and our cabinets were all handbuilt for the same price we could buy pre fab.

Stone is where the money can get crazy.

sintax

Reaction score
why not paint the cabs and put on new hardware like handle and soft close, thats what we did

thats my plans, I'd like to get new faces setup with hidden hinges and soft close. I plan on retaining my existing framework, and just darkening the color and reshooting a top coat.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
why not paint the cabs and put on new hardware like handle and soft close, thats what we did

I had originally thought about doing that, but they are beat to shit if I am honest. I work with wood as a hobby and the thought of the amount of sanding and filler needed to fix the gashes in them, ruled the option out for me. Since I am going with new cabinets mentally, I would also like to move the dishwasher to the other side of the sink and change sink location as well as I have the opportunity. 👍

NicPaus

Reaction score
I can sell you prefab all wood construction cabinets with soft close. I have a house closing escrow today for 1.95 million i just put them in. Half the price of my custom cabinet builder. Message me the dimensions and ceiling height. I can get you prefab counter tops as well and the sink. You are to far from me but you would just need a cabinet installer and counter top fabricator.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
I will text you my guys number. He did a killer job and our cabinets were all handbuilt for the same price we could buy pre fab.
Stone is where the money can get crazy.

As a cabinet guy I find a lot of humor in this statement.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
As a cabinet guy I find a lot of humor in this statement.

Maybe my terminology was wrong?

All I know is I walked in there and the guy was showing me my cabinets that were built and a pile of wood that was the cabinets not made yet.

This guy did my whole Kitchen for the price I had been quoted for pre built depot cabinets installed. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
There's Builder's Surplus in Santa Ana. You can go see them, pick em out and load them up. The only issue I had there was they didn't always have all the sizes I needed. So I was redesigning the kitchens to fit what they had in stock.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Maybe my terminology was wrong?

All I know is I walked in there and the guy was showing me my cabinets that were built and a pile of wood that was the cabinets not made yet.

This guy did my whole Kitchen for the price I had been quoted for pre built depot cabinets installed. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah, it's terminology that is commonly thrown around. I totally get what you're saying and if the guy did the satisfactory job you're saying he did then you got the perfect cabinet job. The "by hand" term is a funny one. It's even better when customers demand they be made out of solid wood with no "fiber board." :p :p :p

I'm glad you got a good job by a good carpenter. My biggest pet peeve is guys that over promise and way under deliver.

boatpi

Reaction score
405 cabinets fountain Valley right alongside the freeway from China but extremely high-quality I have them in one of my kitchens for seven years not a mark on aluminum oxide clearcoat finish over the top. They even install

WildHorses24

Reaction score
405 cabinets fountain Valley right alongside the freeway from China but extremely high-quality I have them in one of my kitchens for seven years not a mark on aluminum oxide clearcoat finish over the top. They even install

Just finished our kitchen with 405. I installed them but it’s well worth the $ to have them pre-assembled. I assembled the 72” vanity and damn near took me 2hours! We didn’t have the coin for “kustom” cabinets, we gutted the entire house and had to save somewhere but pleasantly surprised how nice they are for China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DLC

Reaction score
Any hardWOOD store should be able to supply hinges and drawer guides. Google hardwood & hardware cabinet supply. You don’t want a big box store. Molding and trim speciality stores should be able to give you a referral also

this one store in San Diego

D6ACD345-728E-445C-A5AB-6F9A13E6FC59.jpeg

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Decent cabinets come with built in hardware. It's called the lip.
To be honest. I have a few friends with what I will call "Very" high end kitchens. I never use the handles. They are simple decorations. Imagine walking up to someones Christmas tree and fondling the the decor. It's just not natural as far as I'm concerned.

With that, DLC offered real hardware such as slides and hinges. to me that is important. I was at a friends house where when you pulled a drawer open it almost fell off the hinge but that was how it was designed. A little freaky but the damn drawer opened up all the way. It took a few times but I got used to it and silently laughed to myself every time.