WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Refrigerators - LG or Samsung?

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Looking at new fridges and really like the LG and Samsung side by sides, we can't do a French door one because the left side of the fridge is next to a wall and the door can't open more than 90 degrees, so the drawers on the left side won't open all the way without hitting the bottom shelf on the door. Plus the bottom freezer is just 2 big drawers, I can see that getting really disorganized real quick. Samsung has a French door one that has drawers on the lower section like a side by side, which I do like, but not yet sold on Samsung quality. We do have an LG washer and dryer that have been problem free for the last 15 years, but we did just replace the pump on the washer, but that's not a bad run for a washer. What say the inmates?

Riley1

Reaction score
We’ve got an LG in the kitchen and a Samsung in the garage. The Samsung was given to us by a neighbor who was over the problems he had with the ice maker freezing up (we don’t use that in the garage).
Can’t believe how quite the LG is compared to our 10 yr old GE. I think the inverter linear compressor has something to do with it. Only been 6 months but trouble free so far.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
LOl… Just went through a refrigerator issue... came home to a leaking one and had to replace it ASAP.

Something to consider is the shelving. Many of the brands have fixed shelving now. What we found is that Frigidaire and GE still have multiple options (Frigidaire has a metal cantilever system, GE has molded slots in the sides) where you can adjust the height of the shelves based on your needs.

We ended up with a Frigidaire side by side based on what we could pickup in the store RIGHT NOW.... Which brought up another issue. If you are into stainless you are golden pretty much anywhere you go. If you want White, stand the fuck by. You will probably be waiting for a couple weeks.

The GE fridge and LG fridges both looked nice, but the wife was stuck on movable shelves and removable water tray for cleaning.

You also have to consider counter depth versus standard.... so many options.

riverrat4lfe

Reaction score
We just purchased this Samsung we had the one with the flex drawer and the freezer door did not care for the lack of space and use restrictions with the drawers.

This one has 4 doors and the bottom right can either be a freezer or fridge I like the flexibility of that my kid calls that his section
IMG_0820.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
We just purchased this Samsung we had the one with the flex drawer and the freezer door did not care for the lack of space and use restrictions with the drawers.

This one has 4 doors and the bottom right can either be a freezer or fridge I like the flexibility of that my kid calls that his section View attachment 829244

This is the one we were looking at, but without the screen.

riverrat4lfe

Reaction score
This is the one we were looking at, but without the screen.

I had a deal I couldn’t pass 2205 OTD delivered from Lowes they had a sale for employees and my mom works there

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Neither. Both have shit for warranty customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Get415

Reaction score
I have an LG going on 8 years with no issues at all. Does its job and runs quietly

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
We have the LG 2 upper refer doors and lower freezer drawer. 4 years old, currently on 3rd compressor. All under warranty but no warranty for the food that spoils. First compressor went away slowly over a week, had time to empty contents. New compressor installed, Costco run, next day compressor went bad. Took LG 3 weeks to get new one. Never again.

shock22

Reaction score
Samsung for 10 years now no issues love the duel ice makers

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
My samsung sucked after 4yrs. Icemaker mostly but auto-defrost system too.
Cost plenty to fix and never really got fixed so it's just a garage storage fridge.
My ding/dent LG has been flawless.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
My rule of thumb is by the highest model of LG products.
Their low line stuff just doesn’t cut it.

Taboma

Reaction score
Had our Samsung French door full depth with upper and lower ice makers for just over nine years, not a single issue. One note, we shut off the upper ice maker 7 years ago and only use the lower one in the freezer section. Maybe that's helped, but with two of us, we didn't need that much ice and didn't need the in-door ice dispenser.

Our L&G front door washer and dryer are same age and have been flawless.
Honestly, if I were to go shopping for a new appliance today, I'd try to narrow it down to two --- then --- flip a friggin coin -- AND buy a great extended warranty.

Our Bosch induction cooktop and micro/oven combo are complete piles of shit and thankfully we had extended on them. Even with that the morons they send to work on them, well I've had to show them all how to repair them after they've thrown up their hands in frustration.

All of our area homes were rebuilt 9 years ago post-wildfire, the appliance repair trucks are in here A LOT.

Funny how my parent's home had the same appliances in it from the time I was just starting school until they passed away at ripe old ages. We replaced a couple of electric stove elements and an oven one -- that's it.

Crap, it's all crap, some is just more expensive crap than others. :mad: Good Luck !!!!!! :D

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Had our Samsung French door full depth with upper and lower ice makers for just over nine years, not a single issue. One note, we shut off the upper ice maker 7 years ago and only use the lower one in the freezer section. Maybe that's helped, but with two of us, we didn't need that much ice and didn't need the in-door ice dispenser.

Our L&G front door washer and dryer are same age and have been flawless.
Honestly, if I were to go shopping for a new appliance today, I'd try to narrow it down to two --- then --- flip a friggin coin -- AND buy a great extended warranty.

Our Bosch induction cooktop and micro/oven combo are complete piles of shit and thankfully we had extended on them. Even with that the morons they send to work on them, well I've had to show them all how to repair them after they've thrown up their hands in frustration.

All of our area homes were rebuilt 9 years ago post-wildfire, the appliance repair trucks are in here A LOT.

Funny how my parent's home had the same appliances in it from the time I was just starting school until they passed away at ripe old ages. We replaced a couple of electric stove elements and an oven one -- that's it.

Crap, it's all crap, some is just more expensive crap than others. :mad: Good Luck !!!!!! :D
Many brands share internals, they just put different lipstick on all the pigs:)

Last edited:

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
Samsung with a single ice maker are junk..... ours was so bad they gave us a total refund and told us to keep it

28Eliminator

Reaction score
They all suck.. all are made with the same electronics, timers, defrosters etc. Every single one of them.. unless you go up to dual compressor like Viking, Subzero etc. the only thing that matters is who is offering the best CS and warranty.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
We’ve got LG now - barn door with lower freezer. We like it a lot so far 1 ½ years - it has a slim ice maker in the door and a 2nd ice maker in the freezer - a feature we really like (can’t have too much ice)

LakeBeard

Reaction score
Looking at new fridges and really like the LG and Samsung side by sides, we can't do a French door one because the left side of the fridge is next to a wall and the door can't open more than 90 degrees, so the drawers on the left side won't open all the way without hitting the bottom shelf on the door. Plus the bottom freezer is just 2 big drawers, I can see that getting really disorganized real quick. Samsung has a French door one that has drawers on the lower section like a side by side, which I do like, but not yet sold on Samsung quality. We do have an LG washer and dryer that have been problem free for the last 15 years, but we did just replace the pump on the washer, but that's not a bad run for a washer. What say the inmates?
We have a Samsung, paid 2k for it, the water from the door is barely cold and it stopped making ice right after the warranty went out. I would not recommend.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
We have a Maytag. Drip line from the ice machine clogged and would create a sheet of ice in the bottom of the freezer (bottom drawer). Had a repair guy come out and said it was a common problem and a new part was out to fix it.

Been solid since going on 8 years.

I’ve heard nothing but trouble from Samsung friends.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
I had a French Door Samsung. After 4 years, it completely took a crap and the coils developed a leak. There was ice always forming under the bottom slide out tray. I listened to a lot of people on here and talked to service guys. The recommendation was LG. I bought this on Black Friday at Lowe’s. It was $1,200 off for $1,399. Out the door was $1,500 delivered and installed. At the time, got $150 rebate in the mail. Had Jenn Aire, Kitchenaid, Frigidaire, Kenmore and Samsung. The LG is really nice, quiet and has a lot more room. The cooling is superb. I didn’t want a water dispenser too. Hope it last, we’ll see.

432AFCB9-127A-4DD8-993C-5929D160D014.jpeg
42608061-FEA4-49E9-89B6-BC0224AA3BEB.jpeg
E18A4839-8222-4C36-9384-0341C07A0ADF.jpeg
A2B8D710-911D-4B27-B359-475ADFBCF09B.jpeg
58AA5D54-1BAA-4C4D-AD58-26AE2FB7817D.jpeg

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I had a French Door Samsung. After 4 years, it completely took a crap and the coils developed a leak. There was ice always forming under the bottom slide out tray. I listened to a lot of people on here and talked to service guys. The recommendation was LG. I bought this on Black Friday at Lowe’s. It was $1,200 off for $1,399. Out the door was $1,500 delivered and installed. At the time, got $150 rebate in the mail. Had Jenn Aire, Kitchenaid, Frigidaire, Kenmore and Samsung. The LG is really nice, quiet and has a lot more room. The cooling is superb. I didn’t want a water dispenser too. Hope it last, we’ll see.

View attachment 829257 View attachment 829258 View attachment 829259 View attachment 829260 View attachment 829261
Ice below drawer was one of my issues with my samsung. But once the icemaker crapped out, I just turned it off and the glacier quit forming.
As said earlier, it's just used as a garage drink/food storage now.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I'm not reading all the replies.....

DO NOT BUY A SAMSUNG REFRIGERATOR!!

Have not met a single person that has NOT had issues with one. A friend of mine who sells appliances for a living told me the exact same thing. LG is one of the best consumer grade units in his opinion.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

johnnyC

Reaction score
most of the new refs are all the same, from what i have been told viking are junk sub zero have gotten over their previous problems, fridigid air amana kitchen aid all use the same parts, have 2 kitchen aids both have problems

Icky

Reaction score
I'm not reading all the replies.....

DO NOT BUY A SAMSUNG REFRIGERATOR!!

Have not met a single person that has NOT had issues with one. A friend of mine who sells appliances for a living told me the exact same thing. LG is one of the best consumer grade units in his opinion.

Mines going on 7 years :)

Mcchevy69ss

Reaction score
I have replaced both of my Samsung’s with LG. Samsung ice makers are useless and freeze up all the time. Last year model I had the compressors failed both freezer and fridge area. Bought two new LG and have not had any issues.

Icky

Reaction score
7 years of problems? If it's 7 year of none.... You are in extremely rare company....

No problems, mines the counter depth with the dual ice makers

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
It seems that a lot of the problems are ice maker related, I really wish that you could get an ice maker/water dispenser as an option due to the amount of space that they take up. I have an Amana fridge that's going on 26 years, the ice maker took a dump after 7 years and we had it replaced, then about 6 months later the water holding tank sprung a leak and filled the kitchen with floor with water one morning. Luckily I was leaving to work and turned off the water and dammed the water with car towels before any real damage was done. Now we buy ice (for the wife) at the store and put it in the ice maker holder and use that to dispense the ice. The compressor is still chugging along.

As far as getting a fridge without an ice maker or water dispenser, those are just your basic freezer on top, fridge on the bottom basic fridge. I want the features of the latest models without the stupid ice maker, but they are just not available that way.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Samsung should stick to cell phones.

bocco

Reaction score

This one has 4 doors and the bottom right can either be a freezer or fridge I like the flexibility of that my kid calls that his section View attachment 829244

We have a similar model but without the screen. We got counter depth. We like everything but the ice maker. The problem is the ice maker in the fridge section. It's hard to keep it cold enough and the ice gets soggy and then freezes hard. Ours is 3 years old. I kept up the extended warranty. They actually brought out a whole new fridge and it still had the same problem. Recently I raised hell again and Lowes actually got guy to come out. He installed some upgrade parts and sealed some gaps and it appears to be working OK now. I keep a long screw driver in the cabinet the fridge just for chipping loose the ice clumps.

The capacity still sucks. If you have a party or even serve ice tea to a bible study group your going to run out of ice.

Get the extended warranty.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
2007 built in 42" Kitchenaid here. No fancy water/ice dispenser or other shit to go wrong. Ice maker works great. Did have an issue with the main control board last year, sent it to Circuit Board Medics for a $99 repair and been running fine since.

untitled10.png

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Dont buy anything from Samsung. All their appliances will have problems. Lg is better. GE is the best for appliances.

Wish Samsung would make TV DVD players and appliances like they make their phones.