WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Refrigerators

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Our LG shit the bed yesterday😡
Reading stuff online shows they've had closed system failures and nightmare repairs. My regular appliance repair guy has seen it often. It went from working perfect to water running out of ice maker and no cold air blowing.
Which fricken brand has a life beyond 5-6 years nowadays?

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
So far our samsung has been rockin 8+. All I do is change the filters (i found some walmart filters that dont cost an arm and a leg...) and vacuum the dust bunnies off the back of it every 2-3 months.

Wish I could say that about the rest of my frigidaire "gallery" appliances. such junk.

Last edited:

just_floatin

Reaction score
Having good luck with Whirlpool side by side. Just make sure to change air and water filters at their scheduled intervals. A plugged air filter will cause problems.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Funny, my Samsung too a crap a few days ago too. I honestly don't think any of the freestanding fridges are designed to go beyond 5-6 years. I'm gonna be moving soon so I bought a bang and bash Samsung at lowes. MSRP was $3400, it had a small bump at the top (where my wife will put a magnet) and we got it for $1699. When we move, this will be a garage fridge.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Our previous fridge was a samsung which we put in garage. It runs ok but icemaker was a constant battle, turned that pos off. It also ices up under the bottom drawer because of a poor de-icing drain design. Luckily we had room in it to save all our food.
Guess I'm going fridge shopping today. Hope I can find a ding/dent special😊. Seems most every brand has its issues, even the high end shit has plenty of crappy reviews and rants.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
After doing a lot of ikea cabinets I got a refigerator from them. They are made by Whirlpool for them and have a 5 years warranty better than lust about anybody else. they might be worth looking into, they are just real simple ones.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
All my stuff is maytag and I am good 7 years in. One of my things when I bought fridge and washer and dryer was I avoided any that were trying to be overly smart with controls, my stuff is modern as could get with analog controls. I kept reading at the time all the failures with control boards and such that I didn't understand, so I am happy with what I have. I dunno if these are even an option anymore.

MCnParker

Reaction score
Agree, ours is 3 years old and the ice maker will be the undoing of me. I f'n hate the damn thing, but as they say "happy wife, happy life..." Kenmore/Whirpool seem to be the best unless you go with High end like mentioned above.

Never ever ever ever again Samsung. Absolute trash. They cannot make an ice maker that works (google Samsung ice maker ) and their warranty is only 1 year.

Riverhound

Reaction score
I've had great luck with Kitchen Aid... Had them in our last 3 houses and never had a problem.

HBCraig

Reaction score
zig
I you want to spend a tad extra check put Liebherr fridges. Legit

bocco

Reaction score
Never ever ever ever again Samsung. Absolute trash. They cannot make an ice maker that works (google Samsung ice maker ) and their warranty is only 1 year.

We had nothing but trouble with our Samsung ice maker as well. Samsung even sent a whole new fridge and that solved nothing. Finally got a repair guy out that sealed the ice maker properly and added an upgrade kit. It got better but not great. Then he swapped out a controller board and it has worked great ever since.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I have a kitchen aid built in that has been running for at least 8 years now? If it quit, I'd buy another or go the subzero route... I have heard those last for decades.

shunter2005

Reaction score
We bought a new GE with no frickin' icemaker in the door. First they are a waste of usable space and second those ice makers in the door are complete junk. Ours has icemaker is in the bottom freezer and there is a water spout inside the the fridge on the wall. So far, 2 yrs in and no problems.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
If it has digital settings. Push the "default mode" button. Unplug it for 10-15min. Plug it in and hit the default button again. Its workes for me on a few

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I bought a whirlpool stainless French door/bottom freezer deal at Lowe’s for $999 on a Black Friday deal about 5 years ago and it’s awesome. Has the ice maker in the freezer so it doen’t use up the whole door, and there’s a filtered chilled water dispenser in the fridge if you open the door. Had an Amana before that and it was a piece of shit...everything mechanical broke...slides, hinges, seals, etc...

TrollerDave

Reaction score
Our previous fridge was a samsung which we put in garage. It runs ok but icemaker was a constant battle, turned that pos off. It also ices up under the bottom drawer because of a poor de-icing drain design. Luckily we had room in it to save all our food.
Guess I'm going fridge shopping today. Hope I can find a ding/dent special😊. Seems most every brand has its issues, even the high end shit has plenty of crappy reviews and rants.
All my stuff is maytag and I am good 7 years in. One of my things when I bought fridge and washer and dryer was I avoided any that were trying to be overly smart with controls, my stuff is modern as could get with analog controls. I kept reading at the time all the failures with control boards and such that I didn't understand, so I am happy with what I have. I dunno if these are even an option anymore.
This.
Samsung make great TV's For appliances, stick with appliance companies. Buy the cheapest fridge with the options you want. They do not last like they used to

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Our Samsung was a pile of crap. Struggled with the ice maker pretty much since we brought it home.

Our new house will have the GE Cafe series appliances and fridge. It has an integrated Keurig and looks pretty slick. No idea if it is just another overpriced pile of crap yet. Sure hope not.

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk

Singleton

Reaction score
My GE Profile has been solid for over 12 years.
Minor issues, but I was able to fix them myself after a couple YouTube videos and part orders.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Our Samsung was a pile of crap. Struggled with the ice maker pretty much since we brought it home.

Our new house will have the GE Cafe series appliances and fridge. It has an integrated Keurig and looks pretty slick. No idea if it is just another overpriced pile of crap yet. Sure hope not.

We sold our house and are renting a condo while we home shop. This condo has a new kitchen with all GE Cafe appliances. 1/2 of them don’t work......lol

they look great though!

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Liebherr. You'll pay through the nose, but its a 20 year deal.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

The biggest complaint I read and was told is they're compressor is a bit loud. We almost bought one twice today, different stores. Same one with the Kcup holder and hot water dispenser.
We sold our house and are renting a condo while we home shop. This condo has a new kitchen with all GE Cafe appliances. 1/2 of them don’t work......lol

they look great though!
Samsung and LG are not good for longevity. Read the reviews. Buy the old school whirlpool, maytag, GE, Kitchen Aid
Our samsung still runs, icemaker does not... . isn't opened near as much as the kitchen fridge.
The LG we liked and it worked well until this sudden failure. It's just old enough not to deal with fixing it.
We purchased a Whirlpool today. Availability is actually tight, factories at limited output.

NicPaus

Reaction score
There is a fridge shortage. Pretty much ask whats available not what you want. I am waiting on 2 now and have bought 2 others in last few months. Designing kitchens based on availability so they are here in time to list the houses for sale. Spent 4k on 1 way over budget but was in stock. Another project the Thermador 1 that was not the high end model was 9k. Just whats available now.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
There is a fridge shortage. Pretty much ask whats available not what you want. I am waiting on 2 now and have bought 2 others in last few months. Designing kitchens based on availability so they are here in time to list the houses for sale. Spent 4k on 1 way over budget but was in stock. Another project the Thermador 1 that was not the high end model was 9k. Just whats available now.
In a way that's what we did. A friend works at Pacific Sales so we got a "family" discount on a unit we liked in stock at their warehouse that can be delivered to the store in a few days, then have it delivered to the house by 3rd party for a few nominal $. If we wanted their free delivery it was Sept!!🙄😁

bocco

Reaction score
If the ice maker inside looks like this then it's good. This will make plenty of ice and you can replace it for $75 on Amazon all day. T

1596287986535.png

Although our fancy Samsung now works OK, I still buy a bag of ice if we have company. Before it got repaired I actually kept an extra long screwdriver in the cabinet over the fridge just to chip out the ice clogs.

USMC2010

Reaction score
We sold our house with a 10 year old Frigidaire Gallery. It still worked great.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Bought a GE when we did our kitchen remodel. Brand new it sounded like a jet taking off when circulating fan came on. GE did a fan update changing it from a 5 blade to a 3 blade design (same fan size that is in computers). A year later and after warranty expired the new fan died. Easy to replace but 40 bucks for the fan on Amazon. Looking at complaints most fans have been taking a crap within 2 years. I bought a back up fan to be prepared if and when it stops working again.

Yet I have a 20 year old fridge in my garage is running great!

Taboma

Reaction score
Best shot at buying American made is with Whirlpool, or it's subsidiary KitchenAid. GE appliance is not GE as we remember it, it's owned by the Chinese Haier.
Our Samsung has been problem free for 10 years, but it came with two icemakers, we shut off the upper one almost immediately and have only continued to use the freezer section one, no problems -- knock on wood. :rolleyes:

Bosch dishwasher, 10 years flawless.
Bosch induction cooktop, three of the five burners still function, two stopped working within a couple of years. Told the extended warranty wouldn't cover because it excludes burners --- despite the problem being a PC board, not the physical magnetic burner assembly itself. I have the replacement board, Bosch gave me a discount on the part, after much gnashing of teeth.
We get by fine on the three, don't want to push our luck by tearing it apart -- yet.
Bosch oven, several repairs to original unit, entire oven replaced, fucking Bosch changed the physical dimensions, cabinet mods required for replacement. (Warranty didn't cover) :mad: Replacement unit, 6 months in and bad mother board replaced, after I showed the tech HOW to replace it --- FUCK BOSCH. 🤬

L&G Tron, front loader washer and dryer, 13 years old --- not a single problem 🙏

I THINK --- I'd highly consider Whirlpool in the future.

Good Luck !!!

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Bought a GE when we did our kitchen remodel. Brand new it sounded like a jet taking off when circulating fan came on. GE did a fan update changing it from a 5 blade to a 3 blade design (same fan size that is in computers). A year later and after warranty expired the new fan died. Easy to replace but 40 bucks for the fan on Amazon. Looking at complaints most fans have been taking a crap within 2 years. I bought a back up fan to be prepared if and when it stops working again.

Yet I have a 20 year old fridge in my garage is running great!
My GE Profile went thru 4 fans. I found the identical size fan from an electronics supply place and just kept a stash of them on hand. Take the inside of fridge apart, pull all the foam insulation panels out, swap the fan ever 2 years. All too familiar!

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
My GE Profile went thru 4 fans. I found the identical size fan from an electronics supply place and just kept a stash of them on hand. Take the inside of fridge apart, pull all the foam insulation panels out, swap the fan ever 2 years. All too familiar!
$40 a fan or did you find them cheaper? I looked all over and Amazon was cheapest.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
$40 a fan or did you find them cheaper? I looked all over and Amazon was cheapest.
Cant remember, 40 sounds about right. The GE one was hard to source and more money. After a few failures I finally took the fan in to a electronics shop (the kind that look like an episode of “hoarders” - piles of electronics stacked to ceiling and only the little Asian owner guy knows where stuff is) and after a few minutes he came back with a few boxes and i bought them

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Cant remember, 40 sounds about right. The GE one was hard to source and more money. After a few failures I finally took the fan in to a electronics shop (the kind that look like an episode of “hoarders” - piles of electronics stacked to ceiling and only the little Asian owner guy knows where stuff is) and after a few minutes he came back with a few boxes and i bought them
Thanks

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
We paid good money for this bitch, but it's built rock solid.

54310.jpeg

Any repair guy will tell you LG and Samsung are crap.

If you don't have Sub Zero money, Whirlpool is probably the best value. My last one lasted 20 years.

Whirlpool 26 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator in Fingerprint Resistant Stainless Steel

Wait till HD puts it on sale. 😉

riverroyal

Reaction score
Our GE monogram built in is 16 years old. No issues

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score

15 plus year Old Samsung. Still running like a charm. That said, ice maker replaced 4 times, the latest was this Morning. All 4 cost us the deductible on the home warrantee..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 77

Times Like These

Reaction score
Kenmore Elite, Had a 20 year old one in Havasu, gave it to a buddy for his garage fridge, 7 years later and still ice cold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

84miller

Reaction score
First I have a 18 cubic foot that is going on 30 years old that I paid $275.00 from Sears. It is a roper, has nothing on it old school never been worked on or broken down. It is in the garage. I have a 26 cubic foot, 2 door side by side, water/ice in the door, 21 years old, Figitaire. Some work, ice maker replaced. Repair man told me to make sure I keep it. Repair man told me never by anything out there that has electronics on it at all. He stated that is why both of mine have lasted so long.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score

View attachment 905447

If you don't have Sub Zero money, Whirlpool is probably the best value. My last one lasted 20 years.

Whirlpool 26 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator in Fingerprint Resistant Stainless Steel

All my appliances were purchased individually, and it was either when HD put it on sale, or I found someone else that did, and they have price match guarantee. Remember though, you might find cheaper prices elsewhere that want to nickel and dime with delivery fee, install fee, and removal of old fee, to get a nice headline price. HD includes all that except hookup on dishwasher, but their price match don't care, they just look at the number. If you have the luxury of time, its amazing how much you can save if you time it right. Average discount on my maytags was usually 40% with free everything, again, spread out over a couple of years.

Reactions: DWC

MCnParker

Reaction score
Please pass along this info or where to find out what is needed. If I could get this resolved I would be stoked to say the least.

We had nothing but trouble with our Samsung ice maker as well. Samsung even sent a whole new fridge and that solved nothing. Finally got a repair guy out that sealed the ice maker properly and added an upgrade kit. It got better but not great. Then he swapped out a controller board and it has worked great ever since.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
We installed a 42" builtin Kitchenaid in 2015 that was a floor model at Sears, it's a 2009 model. No fancy ice maker/water in the door. One of the boards had some bad components and was a known issue with the Whirlpool/Kitchenaid of that error. Sent the board to Circuit Board Medics in SC and for $99 they fixed it and NDA it back to me. That was a couple of years ago and haven't had a problem since.

untitled7.png

Beerme

Retired...Time for a cold one!
Reaction score
My GE Profile has been solid for over 12 years.
Minor issues, but I was able to fix them myself after a couple YouTube videos and part orders.
Us too with a GE Profile, going on 13 years old. Only problem is the water at the bottom inside the fridge. I have to soak up about once a month during summer
, but i'm cheap 😁

NicPaus

Reaction score
I just put a 5 year old GE profile out and free on Craigslist yesterday. Had 5 hits in 20 minutes. Probably a easy fix. The replacement fridge cost me $3300. Mom needed 1 asap so had to buy a counter depth that was available.

ultrajet

Reaction score
Times have changed . I have a 1995 Whirlpool still working in my garage . Don’t think today’s models would last . I have a Sub Zero that’s currently 16 years old without any trouble

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Here's my story. Bought a Whirlpool French Door with pull out bottom freezer about 4 1/2 years ago. Made in USA all over the thing.
Year 1. Froze up 3x under factory warranty. Your overloading it, OK fridge police guy. Changed the defrost thermostat on the second call, third call I was blamed for overloading the fridge causing the freeze up and sent a bill from Whirlpool for the service call. Fucking assholes so I buy an extended warranty. Works fine 6 months and then just shuts off. Replaced compressor capacitor.

Now year 3 and it freezes up ( hear the circ. fan hitting the ice) buildup on the coil) up and destroys food another 2x. Called service tech both times, Defrost cycle is not capable in this Fridge. Its a defect thats in a million fridges. Keep less food in it were told. Nothing happens as we unplug it for a day and start the bullshit again.

Year 4 - Now no warranty. Freezes up again so I call around looking for a REAL fridge guy. I'm turning into a fridge hater, making plans to shoot it, possibly get some c4 and make a memory. Get referred to a guy who knows his shit. Comes out and tears the whole thing apart and this time I pay attention. That coil behind the freezer, behind the panel is a solid chunk of ice. He tests the heating element and the thermostat that run the defrost cycle which is supposed to run once a day. They work. Goes into a box back there and pulls out a circuit board and says well replace it. $575 later its working. Guess who proudly pad prints their name on the circuit board.....SAMSUNG. Fast forward 3 happy months to last week and the fucker froze up again. Another new board under warranty.

The moral of the story SAMSUNG. All you guys in this thread are my hero's if you picked something that works.

Paid $1985 delivered
$275 in extended warranties
$575 Defrost cycle control board
$145 cracked Ice dispenser bucket
$248 labor to put in board #2
$500 in food easily

TOTAL PIECE OF SHIT. Fuck you Samsung, A company to avoid.

UltraLucky

Reaction score

View attachment 905447

we have the same Whirlpool model. Been about 3 years no issues, $1599 on sale at Lowe’s. Damn water filters are expensive though. Like $45. try to reset before the wife notices and they last twice as long.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
I was told by a repair guy whirlpool is the best for the average home owner.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk