WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Registrating you Car/Truck to AZ - Do you have trouble with CHP??

asa400ex

Reaction score
I now am going to leave my truck full time in AZ at the lake house. Since it is there most of the time I figured I should get AZ car insurance on it and I also wanted to put AZ plates on it. My question is:

What are the laws if I drive it back to CA for a shot time?

Will I get a ticket by CHP if I have a CA drivers license?

Does anybody know of a website that has this type of info?

Thanks

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
More informed inmates will correct me.......my understanding is that California wants ALL of your vehicles registered here. But, if it never comes back to CA.....fuck 'em

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
If it's in your name and you are caught driving it in ca with a ca dl and az plates you will be looking at hefty fines.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
If it's in your name and you are caught driving it in ca with a ca dl and az plates you will be looking at hefty fines.
I'd really like to hear what BoatCop has to say here but I was told when I was leaving my truck in AZ all the time and had AZ insurance that I was supposed to have it registered in AZ. I did drive it back and forth to CA once or twice only in like 8 years prior to moving to AZ full time but I'm sure even if it is legal it would be a hassle!!

I think Joler was saying that he just went through this recently......maybe he can chime in too!

26LAVEY525

Reaction score
CA Law says you have to register vehicles where you reside. It's also like tinted windows, is it illegal yes, 9 out of 10 cops won't say a word. If you get stopped by the one that feels like it you can and will get a ticket. If you never bring it back nothing to worry about.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I'd really like to hear what BoatCop has to say here but I was told when I was leaving my truck in AZ all the time and had AZ insurance that I was supposed to have it registered in AZ. I did drive it back and forth to CA once or twice only in like 8 years prior to moving to AZ full time but I'm sure even if it is legal it would be a hassle!!

I think Joler was saying that he just went through this recently......maybe he can chime in too!

He has posted on it multiple times. In a nutshell if you have a ca license and you are caught driving a vehicle registered out of state that's in your name. And chp pulls you over you will be looking at hefty fines. That's the sole reason I never moved my truck to AZ reg. now that it's paid off I have considered putting it in the company name and registering it in AZ. But after all is said and done it's just not worth the hassle.

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score

^^^^ This is correct. If you NEVER drive it in CA or NEVER get caught them no problem. :D Your other option would be to trailer it while in CA. I think the law applies to what is touching the road.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
^^^^ This is correct. If you NEVER drive it in CA or NEVER get caught them no problem. :D Your other option would be to trailer it while in CA. I think the law applies to what is touching the road.

Yup. It's for vehicles on the road. Ca is actively pursuing this and I have seen numerous instances where ChP has reached out and asked for people to report their neighbors with out of state plates.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
He has posted on it multiple times. In a nutshell if you have a ca license and you are caught driving a vehicle registered out of state that's in your name. And chp pulls you over you will be looking at hefty fines. That's the sole reason I never moved my truck to AZ reg. now that it's paid off I have considered putting it in the company name and registering it in AZ. But after all is said and done it's just not worth the hassle.
Yeah I've seen his posts a couple of times too but I think if you also own a residence in another state, and the rest of your vehicles are registered in CA you can work your way around it.....they are bullies about it but it can be done.......now on the other hand if you're playing a game with vehicles that are in CA more than once a year for maintenance I think it's an issue.......bottom line is CA will try to get you to pay but you don't have to if the car is truly spending almost all of it;s time out of state.

In my case I have an AZ license now and all vehicles are registered in AZ, so not an issue for me.......FUCK the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia :finger

Joker

Reaction score
The last time I was given a letter, I was required to send a copy of my AZ DL along with utility bills. The only reason I received a letter was for having CA trailer plates and AZ plates on the truck. A couple of years back, they called as result of me having a DL in both states so I forfeited CA.
Not once have I been harassed in CA for this by any officer. Once I get pulled over for tint, etc, I show em my DL and insurance and off I go. :thumbsup
The CA home is really just for vacation though. :)

koenig

Reaction score
Its not just California. Oregon has no sales tax and their vehicle registration is cheaper then Washington. Lots of Washingtonians register cars and boats in Oregon and then use them in Washington. If they don't have an Oregon drivers license its big fines.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
My truck is in my wife's name using our ARIZONA address. Boats and trailer and motorhome are Montana, never had an issue.

Sun burners

Reaction score
Not to Hijack the this thread, But last week I saw a lifted Dually with Cali plates towing a 30+ foot Daytona with Motorcycle "small AZ plates" in Santa Clarita. I thought that was a ticket in the making!

NAFLASH

Reaction score
I never had an issue for a year. I plan to register my current truck in AZ when I come back.

koenig

Reaction score
What is the fine in CA, in WA its a $1,122 infraction.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
My truck is in my wife's name using our ARIZONA address. Boats and trailer and motorhome are Montana, never had an issue.

Walt, it gets better. When the moho is 15 years old, it qualifies for a permanent tag.....it was about 2.5 times the last renewal (and that, for me had been +/- $60 per year. I got the permanent tag about 3 years ago and I think it cost about $150.00

h2o225

Reaction score
Have been driving my dads car az registered for about a month. Don't know how long I can do it legally though. He lives in Az.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
If you don't get stopped how will they ever know?

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Not to Hijack the this thread, But last week I saw a lifted Dually with Cali plates towing a 30+ foot Daytona with Motorcycle "small AZ plates" in Santa Clarita. I thought that was a ticket in the making!

A small AZ motorcyle plate on the boat trailer?

When I bought my boat it had a small NV plate on the trailer. I hear that some states give them out if you request one. The smaller ones are less likely to get dented and curled up like the normal size ones when you back up/down a steep driveway or pull the trailer off a curb.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Have been driving my dads car az registered for about a month. Don't know how long I can do it legally though. He lives in Az.

My daughter got a ticket in california for driving a car owned by me and registered and insured by me, who is a full time AZ resident. I ultimately just signed the car over to her and she had to pay back registration from the time she got her california drivers license.

So for me the irony is that she is not considered a resident of california for something like school, that car became one the day she drove it to california. She was going to go spend a summer out in CA to decide if she liked it and wanted to stay and go to school. But even though she was a dependant of mine, for taxes etc.. CA forced me to somewhat give them the car...

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Why couldn't you just create a family trust called the "None destript name that's not my Lastname Arizona Resident Family Trust".. and title and register your junk to that trust. Then if you drove to it California occasionally, wouldn't you just be barrowing the car from the entity that is just like any other person (ie a Corporation) etc...

As far as I know, I could lend any of my vehicles to any of my california friends for a couple weeks at a time and if they got pulled over they would just hand the registration and insurance car to the officer and not be required to provide them with any additional explanation...