WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Registration question

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
About 16 years back, I gifted a utility trailer to my nephew. I believe I sent in a released of liability to the DMV. Yesterday I got the trailer back. He never transfered it to his name. I have the pink , Bill of sale(gift) that I gave him originally. Do I need to register it again to me?

Last edited:

LazyLavey

Reaction score
good question

did he pay the fees over that time?

if not somebody has to pay the over due fees...at least they'll expect it but you should be able to challenge it with a
"statement of facts", not in your possession, etc....

maybe they figure if they throw it back in your lap they can get more in overdue reg fees than the trailer is worth ???.....lol

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
It is still yours if he never transferred the title.

You’d just have to change the mailing address for the trailer with the DMV.

If he didn’t pay the fees, I don’t know what you’ll have to do to prove that your own trailer was non op’ed.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
I t has a cal permanent trailer plate. He didn't do anything. I got back all the paper work I gave him, and I never got anything else from the DMV. DMV is such a mess right now, maybe I'll just wait for a bit and roll dirty.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
Post a pic of the rear of the trailer. ;)

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
I t has a cal permanent trailer plate. He didn't do anything. I got back all the paper work I gave him, and I never got anything else from the DMV. DMV is such a mess right now, maybe I'll just wait for a bit and roll dirty.
Calif permanent tag isn't permanent, you gotta renew every 5 years

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Did not know that. Just an old landscape I bought new along time back.

Attachments

• IMG_20200531_172654247.jpg
    IMG_20200531_172654247.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 56

thmterry

Reaction score
If you turned in a release of liability you have to register it in your name again.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Not sure if I did send in the release, but I usually do. This was in 2004.

95Enforcer

Reaction score
No late fees on a permanent trailer plate (according to AAA). I was late almost a six months on my Carson Racer and paid the $10 at AAA. Had no late fees and had no idea it expired until i stumbled across my renewal. Id just go to DMV and tell them what happened and pay the renewal. If you have the title should be no problem. Most likely the ROL is not attached to the reg in the system since its been so long and the whole reg may have fallen out of the system as well.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Several years ago my car trailer fell out of the DMV system because my registration check was lost in the mail. My buddies dad was using it and got pulled over. Officer gave him a warning and let me know about the problem. It only cost me $10. There isn't any penalty for paying late on your trailer. Just go to AAA. When they open and handle it

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
No late fees on a permanent trailer plate (according to AAA). I was late almost a six months on my Carson Racer and paid the $10 at AAA. Had no late fees and had no idea it expired until i stumbled across my renewal. Id just go to DMV and tell them what happened and pay the renewal. If you have the title should be no problem. Most likely the ROL is not attached to the reg in the system since its been so long and the whole reg may have fallen out of the system as well.

This was my experience too. Just pay the $10.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
I'll check out AAA when they open back up. Not really in a hurry. I bought this way Bach when I had an SUV and needed a truck. I ordered it with the big ramp gate. It was real handy. Glad it's back.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
Yeah you’ll want to hit the DMV or 3A... no biggie and there shouldn’t be any back fees.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Hey all, thanks for all the input. I did not want to get stuck paying the dmv more than it is worth.
Thanks again.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Went to AAA today. Trailer was still in my name and it was $10.00 to update registration. Thanks for all the input.