WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Registration Renewal

colenighthawk

Reaction score
Got a letter from the DMV that in order to renewl my truck registration I need a Valid Weight Certificate by an authorized California weightmaster.
What the fuck??????
Has anyone gotten this shit before?

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Just go to a cat scale. Make sure it’s empty on fuel. Some of the newer trucks like duallys are heavy and CA wants the extra money.

4Waters

Reaction score
Drop the rear bumper, hitch and spare tire and all the crap that goes with that, remove the back seat, go in there with as little of fuel as possible. Anything else you can think of take out as well

lantz

Reaction score
Isn't that just for commercial trucks?

colenighthawk

Reaction score
Drop the rear bumper, hitch and spare tire and all the crap that goes with that, remove the back seat, go in there with as little of fuel as possible. Anything else you can think of take out as well
Dropping off the spare tire is not a problem, I don't know if I'll drop off the rear bumper. Might be a pain in the ass.
I wonder how much they charge you per lb?
Fucking DMV

Singleton

Reaction score
Dropping off the spare tire is not a problem, I don't know if I'll drop off the rear bumper. Might be a pain in the ass.
Fucking DMV
What model truck and what stickers do you currently have.
My F350 required 15k stickers minimum, but since my ToyHauler is custom with perm plates I end up paying for 35k stickers.

4Waters

Reaction score
Fucking DMV
IDK how much they charge but I would get it as lite as possible, I know a guy that removed everything in the cab but the drivers seat. LOL

colenighthawk

Reaction score
What model truck and what stickers do you currently have.
My F350 required 15k stickers minimum, but since my ToyHauler is custom with perm plates I end up paying for 35k stickers.
2019 F250 6.7
Don't know the current stickers

lantz

Reaction score
My registration says commercial, don't know why
2019 F250
I don't have the answer for you. I just looked up CA DMV REGISTRATION TRUCK WEIGHT, and all I got was the requirements for commercial vehicles. Do you own a business that your truck is listed under?

Icky

Reaction score
Download the cat scale app and set up an account. You can use the app when you roll onto the cat scales, makes it easier and you don't have to get out of your vehicle. There's a few you tube videos on it

Socalx09

Reaction score
This happened with my RAM 2500 when I went to a kiosk to register it and it wanted the reg 4008 form for weight filled out. I contacted the ca dmv through the new virtual portal messaging on their website. They stated all picks up are commercial in California and once I told them it was under 10k pounds, they sent me a link to pay and it was done. It was actually pretty painless.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Unless something has changed. All pickups in ca are commercial. And if you get around that like having a shell or camper with sink or stove I think, technically you can be cited if caught without it and carrying anything in the bed.
Does it happen I don’t know.
I buy 3/4or 1 ton “passenger“ vans for my business then install all my racks and shelves saves a lot of $ on weight fees, so far it’s worked.

FishSniper

Reaction score
Got a letter from the DMV that in order to renewl my truck registration I need a Valid Weight Certificate by an authorized California weightmaster.
What the fuck??????
Has anyone gotten this shit before?
This seems weird have you recently changed it from out of state reg to CA ? When I bought my Ram that was Colorado reg I had to get a weight certificate to register it in Commefornia but never had to on any of my other trucks that already had been registered in CA.

hallett21

Reaction score
I got the same notice for my 26k registered 3500. Went to DMV and they said to disregard because the truck was under 50k pounds. I think they had an error with commercial trucks this past year.

The girl did have to do something in the system though

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Isn't that just for commercial trucks?
Nearly all trucks are commercial trucks in Kalifornia. You can't haul a bag of mulch in the back unless you register it as commercial.

77charger

Reaction score
My dad had to get his old ford weighed in the early 80s he just about did the same thing took out the seat spare tire bumpers and anything else he could think of. 😂

Singleton

Reaction score
Nope
I give up
I'll post after I get it weighted
If your GVW was originally submitted at 10k, DMV is doing validation activities.
A F250 should be classified as GVW 10k and under, BUT to qualify the unladen weight of the truck cannot exceed 8k lbs and GVW must be under 11,500 (check door sticker). If at 12k GVWR, you need 15k stickers with the DMV. Ford caused this issue, since you can option out a F250 to have a GVWR of 14k (which triggers 15k stickers and weight fees).

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Weird, I registered my 07 Dually in March and didn't have this on the instructions. But the weight fee went up around $60 from last year 🖕

Jimmyv

Reaction score
Ahh, the California weight tax on personal ‘commercial’ trucks…

I have handicap plates on our diesel just because it excludes you from the extra weight tax.
(I don’t like handicap plates on my cars, I prefer to just hang my placard when I need to)

The trade off is not having use of my left foot,
but the alternative is the state taxing me an arm and a leg 😂

Last edited:

colenighthawk

Reaction score
Well, I went and my truck weight in this morning, came in at 7400lb without spare tire.
Went to DMV to finish the registration, the lady at the counter had no idea why is the weight certificate needed. She had to call DMV in Sacramento and they advised her to send them the paperwork.
What a fucking mess....

Last edited:

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Well, I went and my my truck weight in this morning, came in at 7400lb without spare tire.
Went to DMV to finish the registration, the lady at the counter had no idea why is the weight certificate needed. She had to call DMV in Sacramento and they advised her to send them the paperwork.
What a fucking mess....

they wanted you to weigh in over 8000lbs for more money...

I suspect it has more to do with truck manufacturers posting "big numbers" so they can have the heaviest towing vehicle competitively. yet CA wants to charge the most amount based on weight ratings, etc. so you have those 2 things going against each other.

you ever see those hotshot trucks? they literally remove the entire bed and anything that isnt needed to drop weight.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
you ever see those hotshot trucks? they literally remove the entire bed and anything that isnt needed to drop weight.

I have a buddy that is a Hotshot. He left the bed on his Ram dually. I asked him why he hasn't removed it like most of the others. He said once you take the bed off, it triggers some other requirement, or cost, or something. I can't remember what the downside was. I will have to ask him again.

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
2017 GMC 2500 on the weight scale with low fuel at the time came in at 7700 lbs…No letters from DMV though… The only thing I wasn’t able to do with any of the 3 2500’s (2017, 2919, 2020) was pay the DMV registration using their website, said not eligible… Had to walk in the registration payments.🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• 7D0652CE-006A-488E-B312-CA5277FCB0AC.jpeg
    7D0652CE-006A-488E-B312-CA5277FCB0AC.jpeg
    443.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 9DA66553-1D6B-479A-835F-E12CC4D093C6.jpeg
    9DA66553-1D6B-479A-835F-E12CC4D093C6.jpeg
    794 KB · Views: 11
  • 7E45F6E0-1F69-46CF-8922-E4059214F5A9.jpeg
    7E45F6E0-1F69-46CF-8922-E4059214F5A9.jpeg
    540 KB · Views: 11

Singleton

Reaction score
I have a buddy that is a Hotshot. He left the bed on his Ram dually. I asked him why he hasn't removed it like most of the others. He said once you take the bed off, it triggers some other requirement, or cost, or something. I can't remember what the downside was. I will have to ask him again.
Triggers having to enter all scales even if driving for personal reasons and not getting paid

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
The only time I have had to get a weight certificate to register a vehicle, was replating a 1 ton van from from Washington to California. I had to get a weight certificate and a VIN verification, to get it registered in CA. The van was a Ford E350 with a V10.

I wanted to register the van in Oregon, where I was going to keep it, and use it. Even though i had an address in Oregon, they wouldn't let me register it there because I wasn't a permanent resident of the state. I ended up having to fly to Seattle, drive the van to Sacramento to get the a smog check, the ViN verification (because I had a CHP contact in Sac that could get me right in to do the verification), and the weight certificate. I got the new plates, and then had to drive the van back to Portland and fly home.

I had to get it smogged in Sacramento because California has different smog requirements depending on what region you will register the vehicle in. Sacramento was the closest location to Oregon, that had the same requirements I needed.

colenighthawk

Reaction score
Now the DMV wants another $150 for penalties, what fucking penalties????and I need to fill out a form stating why my weight changed from the original weight. I already paid $815.
I hate the DMV
Next renewal I'll look in to register in Havasu

fmo24

Reaction score
Haha I paid 185 for a 50000 lbs moho and 85 for an f150. That is for two years. I fucking hate commiefornia

4Waters

Reaction score
Now the DMV wants another $150 for penalties, what fucking penalties????and I need to fill out a form stating why my weight changed from the original weight. I already paid $815.
I hate the DMV
Next renewal I'll look in to register in Havasu
The original weight, then why did they need a weight on it? Tell them IDK ask ford why it weighed so much

colenighthawk

Reaction score
I did replace my rims and tires with bigger tires, thats where the additional weight it's coming from. But still, don't understand why they're charging me a penalty fee. It's only 420lb more than what my registration says.