WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Remembering Pearl Harbor....

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
well its December 7th, a day that lives on in infamy, when the Japanese navy bombed Pearl Harbor... I want to acknowledge the tragedy, and especially the bravery and sacrifice of all the men and women in our military, and even the innocent civilians who gave their lives on that fateful day, and to the ones who overcame the horror of that day and helped the wounded, and pulled together amidst the chaos, and became heroes, even if unrealized, they were truly heroic, and we shall forever remember these people. so to our veterans then and now, I say thank you, for you gave all you had to defend our great nation, and you are not forgotten....

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
Thanks for posting. Both my grandads were in the navy and were in Pearl Harbor when it was hit. Neither ever talked about it except my moms dad. In 2000 when my moms dad was dieing of cancer I would go to there house every weekend for about 6 months and mow the grass take out the trash and fix what ever needed to be fixed because he was bed ridden at this point. One day I said to myself, screw it I'm going to ask him about the war because if I don't I will never know what he saw. I said grandpa tell me about Pearl Harbor and the war. Grandpas eyes light up and he starts to tell me how the day (December 7th 1941) started. About that time my grandma rushed into the room and says Mark don't ask grandpa about the war it upsets him. My grandpa says, Betty get out of the the room if I want to tell my grandson about the war I'm going to tell him. Me and him sat there for what had to been a couple of hours. Grandpa telling me stories and he had me get a sho box out of the closet that was full of old photos I had never seen before. What a great day full of heroic stories from the greatest generation that ever lived. I think of both my grand dads quite often but especially December 7th every year. Miss you both grandpas.

Hullbilly

Reaction score
My Grandpa on my mom's side was a Captain in the Navy during WWII. I never got to meet him he died 4 years before I was born.

My Grandpa on my dad's side was a LT under Patton in the 14th Armored, he wouldn't talk about his time in combat, not even with my dad. It was not until after he passed when we were cleaning out the house that we found his WWII trunk in the basement, he had some interesting artifacts in there. I found a shoe box in there full of pictures, some of just his unit smoking and jokin, and some of the aftermath following liberation a couple different towns, a labor camp and a concentration camp. I then understood why he never wanted to talk about what he lived through over there. It was a real eye opener to a high school kid, my grandpa was my most favorite man to walk this earth.

Greatest generation period.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
image.jpg

dryhoze1

Reaction score
Thanks for the post ! :thumbup:

Grandfathers boat was hit & sunk. Swam to shore & went on to fight at Guadalcanal. Boat was hit & sunk there as well. His unit took a massive hit and was one of only several that survived. Permanently disabled from this incident. Came home from the war and opened his own bar in Downey,Ca so he could drink with his friends. Family always said the bar never made a penny. Lol
Bought a place on the Parker strip in 59 and spent almost every weekend there with his 1960's era Howard later to become my fathers & family boat.
My love for v drive boats started with the Howard in 1968
He's now resting at Riverside National Cemetery.

Attachments

• IMG_1471.JPG
    IMG_1471.JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 9

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the wonderful posts. My Pap was at Pearl Harbor that day and was lucky enough to survive. He never wanted to talk about what happened and unfortunately we lost him in 1990. He was an unbelievably awesome man that would take my brother and me slalom skiing every single day ALL summer long up and down the Allegheny River in western PA. He taught us our love for the water and any kind of boat. I think of him almost daily and sure hope I'm making him proud.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
We visited Pearl Harbor in 2004 for the first time and I can say it was the most moving, gut wrenching, heart warming experience of my life much less the high point of our vacation.
When we were on the USS Arizona memorial the tour guide was explaining how the oil still seeps from the ship and dissipates on the waters surface, they call it the tears of the soldiers that lost their life that day.
It was quite clear this is true as my then 18 year old daughter snapped this photo at that moment.

Tears of the Soldiers.jpg

Constant840

Reaction score
My Grandfather turned 94 this year. He is as sharp as ever.
He was a pilot in WWII. Left center in the group shot.

Attachments

• Tom Miller_0001.jpg
    Tom Miller_0001.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Tom Miller_0002.jpg
    Tom Miller_0002.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Tom Miller_0005.jpg
    Tom Miller_0005.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 6
  • Tom Miller_0007.jpg
    Tom Miller_0007.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 10

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
Great responses all, I really like all the pics as well, those are epic! :thumbsup

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
My Father in Law (RIP) was a WWII Navy Vet, he was in Europe. I do believe he was on a support ship outside of the D-Day beachings.
Today also happens to be his birthday.:)

nowski

Reaction score
U.S. Pacific Command Commander Adm. Harry Harris says those who died during the attack on Pearl Harbor never failed to stand for the national anthem.

His remarks Wednesday at a ceremony marking the 75th anniversary of the Japanese attack generated a lengthy standing ovation from the crowd, with people whistling and hooting.

Thousands gathered for the event, held on a pier across the harbor from where the USS Arizona sank during the 1941 attack.

Harris told the crowd: "You can bet that the men and women we honor today - and those who died that fateful morning 75 years ago - never took a knee and never failed to stand whenever they heard our national anthem being played."

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. Both my grandads were in the navy and were in Pearl Harbor when it was hit. Neither ever talked about it except my moms dad. In 2000 when my moms dad was dieing of cancer I would go to there house every weekend for about 6 months and mow the grass take out the trash and fix what ever needed to be fixed because he was bed ridden at this point. One day I said to myself, screw it I'm going to ask him about the war because if I don't I will never know what he saw. I said grandpa tell me about Pearl Harbor and the war. Grandpas eyes light up and he starts to tell me how the day (December 7th 1941) started. About that time my grandma rushed into the room and says Mark don't ask grandpa about the war it upsets him. My grandpa says, Betty get out of the the room if I want to tell my grandson about the war I'm going to tell him. Me and him sat there for what had to been a couple of hours. Grandpa telling me stories and he had me get a sho box out of the closet that was full of old photos I had never seen before. What a great day full of heroic stories from the greatest generation that ever lived. I think of both my grand dads quite often but especially December 7th every year. Miss you both grandpas.

Great post! It must have been amazing to hear a first hand account from a family member like that. My dad is a Viet Nam vet and only a couple times have I gotten him to open up about his time over there. My grandfather was a bombardier on a B-29 in WWII but sadly he passed before I was born. They don't build em like that anymore...

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Thanks for the post ! :thumbup:

Grandfathers boat was hit & sunk. Swam to shore & went on to fight at Guadalcanal. Boat was hit & sunk there as well. His unit took a massive hit and was one of only several that survived. Permanently disabled from this incident. Came home from the war and opened his own bar in Downey,Ca so he could drink with his friends. Family always said the bar never made a penny. Lol
Bought a place on the Parker strip in 59 and spent almost every weekend there with his 1960's era Howard later to become my fathers & family boat.
My love for v drive boats started with the Howard in 1968
He's now resting at Riverside National Cemetery.

i grew up in downey!

thats awesome stuff

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Great thread:thumbsup

I know some of you don't get down to the P&G section, posted a thread of my utter disgust that my kids school and history class didn't even acknowledge the day yesterday.
My grandfather served in the Marines in the Pacific, he passed a year ago, on Dec 7

My father in law was in the pacific also, Army Ranger. He passed two months after my grandfather.

Both were great men.

My father in law in basic
image.jpg