WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

remembering that first paycheck.....

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
My first check was from working the school cafeteria. I had about the same reaction. At the time I had calculated what I was going to do with all that money... lol... but didn't figure in taxes on a 14 year old. Back to paper routes it was for me.

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
My first paycheck came from working at All American Home Center in Downey in the late 70;s, I was a Sophomore at Warren High and would walk to work after school. Great place to work and I would have never guessed after all these years I would still be working at a Hardware Store.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
My first paycheck came from working at All American Home Center in Downey in the late 70;s, I was a Sophomore at Warren High and would walk to work after school. Great place to work and I would have never guessed after all these years I would still be working at a Hardware Store.
True Value in GuadaLaHabra was my first real job out of high school. Learned a ton there and had a blast busting my ass everyday in the lumber yard for minimum wage. 6 days a week and I thought I was Killing It! 😂

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
First job was a hardware store. I remember asking who the hell is this FICA? Wish the store as still around. I would love to work a little after I retire, which may be soon.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I vacuumed the floor and hosed down the kitchen floor at a smorgasbord for a janitorial service. I was 14-15. Rode my bike the 2 miles there everynight.

DWC

Reaction score
First job was KFC in Chino at 16. If it was 100 outside it was hotter in back. I’m pretty sure it was $3.35 an hour. I still remember getting that stub and thinking WTF. When I registered Republican at 18 my grandpa and mom freaked. 😀
It is funny to see the look on your kids faces when they get their first stub. I’ve never told the kids how to vote. Guess they figured it out.

J 2

Reaction score
Oak Tree Gun Club at 15, got a work permit from school too. Try and do that today. Learned how to smoke weed in the trap house, keep your hand flat so when the guy with the button helicopters the machine to see if your paying attention you don't loose any fingers o_O Anyone remember Boogee? Sweet and scary lady.

termiteguy

Reaction score
First job was KFC in Chino at 16. If it was 100 outside it was hotter in back. I’m pretty sure it was $3.35 an hour. I still remember getting that stub and thinking WTF. When I registered Republican at 18 my grandpa and mom freaked. 😀
It is funny to see the look on your kids faces when they get their first stub. I’ve never told the kids how to vote. Guess they figured it out.
KFC as well in Cerritos yep 335 a hour and you are correct about that heat

Cole Brewed

Reaction score
Bobby McGees, Burbank, $3.35 ph. Dam I spent most of is going back for prime rib! Lol! Never forget those porcelain drink cups! Or the (^) & ( • ) ( • ) you could pull outta there! !

mobldj

Reaction score
worked at a rental yard in pedley,whooping 1.50 a hour.lived in mira loma ,no car.yep walked there and back 4 miles everyday ( no not uphill in the snow).back then still glad to work,not like the fkn pussys of todays blm asshats

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I had every penny spent before I got it. I was working at pac sun for minimum wage. I got it and was like wtf is this? I can't buy half the shit I want. Now I teach my kids about taxes by eating half their ice cream before they get a bite. And I enjoy it and I make them watch. They understand my pain.

DLC

Reaction score
I went from a paper route to baggin grocery at Alpha Beta - union so I got paid $3.90 hour when min wage was $3.35 hr

this was 1985

Last edited:

Magic Mike

Reaction score
I was a lifeguard at Valley college in 1986, $7 per hour.
Hustling Porsche wheels out of the Recycler classifieds and Pomona swapmeet to the Vw guys was a very lucrative hobby.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Bobby McGees, Burbank, $3.35 ph. Dam I spent most of is going back for prime rib! Lol! Never forget those porcelain drink cups! Or the (^) & ( • ) ( • ) you could pull outta there! !

My buddies first job was a bus boy then a waiter at Fox fire. Poor guy was a lamb for slaughter. Fun parties at his house lol.

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
My first real job was at 15, went to work for McDonalds I don‘t remember the wage maybe 3 bucks an hour. But man was I loaded.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
When I was 16 I had fixed/built a computer for a friend. His family owned a Steve's Burgers and he was talking to his cook about what I did for him, etc. The guy at the counter ordering overheard their conversation and he needed a tech for a business he was opening. So he got my info and I had my first real job. I worked every day after school. Bill and Linda were nice people, but they were Jesus freaks. Holy roller type people. They blasted the music every day, etc. I built new computers, fixed old, and went through piles that Bill would acquire from swap meets, etc and put them together as cheap units for sale. One day I was in the back and Bill started rolling on the ground, spitting all over, and mumbling. I was freaked out because I thought he was dying. He gets up and hes like "I just spoke with god..." The next day he had an all hands on deck meeting and our whole company shifted to making "PC-TV." This was in 1996. He bascially wanted to make the modern day DVR. Keep in mind Tivo and Replay didnt exist until 1999, 3 years later. Unfortunately the software and the hardware to encode video just wasnt there at the time and their business ultimately failed. They told me one day they couldnt afford to give me my last paycheck, they were closing. I ended up just taking a bunch of inventory home and that was it. Im not really sure what happened on the floor but it always blows my mind when I think about it.

minimum wage was $4.75 in 1996, so at 16 years old I think I was doing pretty good for a first job.
99361459_10157672080209833_4642286303201722368_o.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
First real paycheck...one with evil taxes...was an equipment yard at 16yo. Learned how to use and drive damn near anything. 6$ hr...min was 4.25:cool:

First real job, "pitching" shingles at 8, or loading rolls of torch 10...10$ a day...cash, and all the Coke I could drink before we got home.

Damn I miss the simple days...and Pops.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
When I was 16 I had fixed/built a computer for a friend. His family owned a Steve's Burgers and he was talking to his cook about what I did for him, etc. The guy at the counter ordering overheard their conversation and he needed a tech for a business he was opening. So he got my info and I had my first real job. I worked every day after school. Bill and Linda were nice people, but they were Jesus freaks. Holy roller type people. They blasted the music every day, etc. I built new computers, fixed old, and went through piles that Bill would acquire from swap meets, etc and put them together as cheap units for sale. One day I was in the back and Bill started rolling on the ground, spitting all over, and mumbling. I was freaked out because I thought he was dying. He gets up and hes like "I just spoke with god..." The next day he had an all hands on deck meeting and our whole company shifted to making "PC-TV." This was in 1996. He bascially wanted to make the modern day DVR. Keep in mind Tivo and Replay didnt exist until 1999, 3 years later. Unfortunately the software and the hardware to encode video just wasnt there at the time and their business ultimately failed. They told me one day they couldnt afford to give me my last paycheck, they were closing. I ended up just taking a bunch of inventory home and that was it. Im not really sure what happened on the floor but it always blows my mind when I think about it.

minimum wage was $4.75 in 1996, so at 16 years old I think I was doing pretty good for a first job.
99361459_10157672080209833_4642286303201722368_o.jpg

Great story and that's awesome that you still have that.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Lot boy at a new Chevy store, that was under construction. $1.35 hr plus about $6 hr playing Gun Rummy with the salesmen. My GF’s father was the GM.

Wedgy

Reaction score
Ruhm Tile and Marble, at age16. $3.00hr, min wage was $1.65 in 1973. Drove a 1970 C30 all over San Diego County installing Cultured Marble. Finished HS at night at Escondido Adult school.

Nordie

Reaction score
I graduated high school and 2 days later I started a job doing what I currently do today. $15.02 an hour starting out. In fact my graduation gift was 2 pairs of Levis and a pair of Diehard work boots.

LGETT

Diving In
Reaction score
It's not all the hard work or even the taxes that get to me (well maybe the taxes a bit), its the freeloaders that sceme on Gov. assistance programs that our taxes fund.

First job was mowing lawns with old lawnmowers I found in people's trash and fixed. Just ran into my first customer 30yrs later while conducting mock interviews at Cal State Fullerton be is Dir. of employment.

cofooter

Reaction score
My first job in high school was cleaning and fueling fishing boats at Irvine Lake in maybe 1978. I forget what they paid me, but I got to take boats out for free and fish a lot which was cool! Then I worked at Fiddlers Three in Tustin, which bacame Texas Roadhouse and is now Rockin Blues. After that Skaggs Drugstore.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
FICA and FUTA? F.U! LOL

PupnTaco on Rosemead Blvd, East Side Pasadena. Pay was $3.35 an hour. But we supplemented that by trading burritos for beer from the guys at Trader Joe's next door. LOL.
Rosemead-Thorndale 1965 | Rosemead Blvd and Thorndale 1966. … | Flickr

Wedgy

Reaction score
Classic Tale. PupnTaco! Nice picture too. Best story yet! I grew up across town, Allendale elementary, McKinley Jr. High. Swam at Blair HS, every Summer.
Ford Fairlane?

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
They sent all the kids in our neighborhood all the way across town to go to Blair HS. Also all the way up to Altadena Elementary, Elliot Jr High,. They needed white kids to put on buses. Since we didn't get to vote in Pasadena elections, us Chapman Woods kids were the lucky ones. LOL

The pic is from the internet, but that is the taco shop. The Trader Joe's used to be Don's Liquor. I shoplifted a couple 10 Cent candy bars. My folks took me back up to pay and apologize. Learned that lesson early. Pretty good times.

boatnam2

Reaction score
My first job was doing construction with my dad, zero earned, second was a paper route, don't think i made anything. I loaded catering trucks at 14 which was cash money 2am to 5am before school. Then i hit the mother load KFC $3.35 an hour and all the chicken i could eat.

Wolskis

Reaction score
8 years old working for my dad, 0.50 per hour. 1968

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Doorman at U.A. Movies in the Los Cerritos Mall. $2.65. 1977

KevinR

Reaction score
The thread reminded me of a paystub/envelope I have from my Great Grandfather.

Not the greatest photo (too lazy to remove from frame), but he was the Building and Restaurant Maintenance Manager at Boos Bros. Cafeteria, located on Hill St. across from Pershing Square in downtown L.A.

From January 15, 1956, six months before I was born, gross pay for the week $68.40. Check out the $1.29 deduction for “Fed. Old Age Tax”. Other taxes State Unemployment Tax, Witholding Tax and finally Meals for the week.

My Grandma said he would dress in his suit, get on the train in Monterey Park to go downtown, change into his work clothes and come home in his suit.

8B9B077A-9E35-46B4-AA20-CEA4E2F095C4.jpeg

dave29

Reaction score
Rams Horn Car wash in Encino Calif. in the 60's. I was 15. My job was washing the inside windows. I was 6'2 and back the there were a lot of station wagons. Paid $1.35 per hour. Figure that out after taxes.

Familyties

Reaction score
In 1968 working at McDonald's for $1.10 per hour minus .10 cents hour for food. The minimum wage was $1.65 but they had a student wage of $1.10 for part time work of less than 3 hours a day. After a month went to work at L&L maintenance for $4.00 an hour. I was rich back then.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I had a lawn route and worked at Mark C Bloome in Downey, the triangle where Bellflower Blvd runs into Lakewood blvd. I started busting tires at 14 and a half my brother in law was the manager, he flaked they divorced and I kept working, one day the new manager asks me how old I was, at this time I was two weeks from being 16 and getting my licence...well the only two week vacation I have ever taken :) I guess driving cars into the bays wasn't a good idea with no drivers licence.