WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Remote Filters and Cooler

BassLakeCruiser

Reaction score
Came across this on another forum i frequent. Guy was having oil and bearing issues and everyone was pointing to his remote filter and oil cooler being the culprit. Any truth or experience here on the boards? I see a lot of Olson/Teague coolers and remote filters on many boats including my Schiada. After reading this I’m considering getting rid of my dual remote filters and doing a single filter at the Olson cooler.

Attachments

• 7CA9C323-48AA-4B8A-9E03-05C84B6FAAB7.png
    7CA9C323-48AA-4B8A-9E03-05C84B6FAAB7.png
    399 KB · Views: 84

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Too many guys successfully running remote filters to buy into that. Running -12 lines is a good idea. When he mentions opening the bypass in the oil pump, that's a pressure related thing, not volume.

The block mount coolers do tend to neaten up the boat, but it can be real difficult to access the oil filter in a V drive setup.

BassLakeCruiser

Reaction score
Too many guys successfully running remote filters to buy into that. Running -12 lines is a good idea. When he mentions opening the bypass in the oil pump, that's a pressure related thing, not volume.

The block mount coolers do tend to neaten up the boat, but it can be real difficult to access the oil filter in a V drive setup.
Same with dual remotes? All good?

Western Flyer

Reaction score

This. ^
Pressure vs volume. Hydraulics 101.
If the guy was having bearing issues, it was from his assembly tolerances or faulty parts.

Last edited:

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Came across this on another forum i frequent. Guy was having oil and bearing issues and everyone was pointing to his remote filter and oil cooler being the culprit. Any truth or experience here on the boards? I see a lot of Olson/Teague coolers and remote filters on many boats including my Schiada. After reading this I’m considering getting rid of my dual remote filters and doing a single filter at the Olson cooler.
By the way, are you having any bearing issues? Cut open the first oil filter in line if you have any doubts.

TexasJet

Reaction score
I have remote filters and oil coolers on both engines in my boats. 65 to 70 lbs oil pressure. I don't think remote installation is the cause of your issues.

BassLakeCruiser

Reaction score
By the way, are you having any bearing issues? Cut open the first oil filter in line if you have any doubts.
No. But on a prior build I did in the past. had 1 season on it but not a reputable builder. Now I’m with a well known builder. Just saw this and started thinking it it could have lead to the issues.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
No. But on a prior build I did in the past. had 1 season on it but not a reputable builder. Now I’m with a well known builder. Just saw this and started thinking it it could have lead to the issues.
If you have large oil lines, I had mentioned -12 but -10 may possibly suffice, and good quality filters, you shouldn't have a problem. To set your mind at ease, do as I said above, cut open the first filter that gets oil from the engine.

BassLakeCruiser

Reaction score
If you have large oil lines, I had mentioned -12 but -10 may possibly suffice, and good quality filters, you shouldn't have a problem. To set your mind at ease, do as I said above, cut open the first filter that gets oil from the engine.
-12 and WIX 51515r

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Every single wet sump Brummett motor we have ever installed in a boat has had a remote filter and cooler. Never once had any issues.

Properly sized lines, and properly sized filter head that doesn't neck down to 1/4pipe.

You want -12 lines and 3/4 NPT (-12 ORB is better)

motormonkey

Reaction score
There was a bad run of pumps where the bypass piston depths were wrong.

BassLakeCruiser

Reaction score
Every single wet sump Brummett motor we have ever installed in a boat has had a remote filter and cooler. Never once had any issues.

Properly sized lines, and properly sized filter head that doesn't neck down to 1/4pipe.

You want -12 lines and 3/4 NPT (-12 ORB is better)
Single remote filter or dual?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Single remote filter or dual?
There is no need i have ever seen for a dual oio filter, just run a filter with an appropriate flow rate for your demands. All our NA or Race Aero motors run B279 baldwins, Gentry stuff runs HP6 size filter.