WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Removing powder coat

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I’m starting another project soon and in this boat all of the deck hardware, cleats, handles, swim steps, etc, have been powder coated white and it looks awful. Can the powder be removed so I can have all of the parts anodized?

Icky

Reaction score
I've used paint stripper in the past with good success. Or whoever does the anodizing can probably have it sand/ bead blasted off

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Yes. But always had it burned off or blasted off to be re coated. The finish stripped product looks dull, so not sure how anodizing would look after.

wzuber

Reaction score
you could ...carefully..... burn it off with a rosebud torch head with oxy/acetylene gas but you will really have to visually manage the temp/time etc. and that process is generally reserved for durable items that will be blasted off as the excessive heat can damage/warp alum. parts quickly. The hi heat shrinks and makes the paint material very brittle to promote rapid breakdown for the blasting process. Typical P.C. burn off ovens for the process run at 800-900 degrees for 1-2 hrs. For your type parts it may be more trouble than it's worth and could potentially warp your parts. The parts will need to be re-polished before anodizing in the ano. process so Aircraft paint stripper will likely by your best, fastest and least surface damaging process. Mek and acetone will work too but have fire/flash risks associated with them too. I recommend doing one piece at a time to start and monitor the time duration of paint break down (wrinkle, bubble etc.) . You will want a plastic scraper or even a wood paint stir stick to gently scrape away areas that want to stick longer than the bulk areas. Rinse with clean water as you go and when complete. With all chemical processes mentioned good rubber gloves are your friend. I hope this helps.

Ultra247

Reaction score
Hey Walt, I have a new project as well and the hardware is also pealing the powder coat. I talked to Marine Industries west and Bob gave me a "rough estimate" that it costs about 50% of the cost of the part to strip and repowder coat. I also checked and there are quite a few "strippers" in Anaheim that will take off powder coat etc. I'm definitely going to have it done vs fighting it myself. I agree that the chemical stripping will work but the polishing, etc is going to be a lot of labor. Easier to either have them recoat or to simply put new hardware.

rvrrun

Reaction score
Like others have said, chemical stripping is the way to go. It's messy, so I'd source it out to whoever is recording or anodizing the parts.

Americoat (near the Pond in Anaheim) is who we use. To give an idea, my wife curbed a wheel on her mini and it was $140 for strip, repair and recoat.

If you want to do it yourself and have the time, try coating them as well. All it takes is a used electric range and some inexpensive equipment. I use mine all the time for little things around the house. They have candy powders that look similar to anodize.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Let the coater deal with it, more $$ but they will know what who how and prep for them will be easier. I talked to Eddie Marine as well MWI and both said they could easily do it, but by the time you’re done your prolly better selling all old on eBay etc and just buying all new as recoating will run 1/2-3/5 the cost of new.

28Eliminator

Reaction score
Put it in a bucket of acetone for awhile. Powder coat will come right off.

This^^^. I stripped all my hardware on my boat a couple years ago (purple) with acetone. soak it for a while, then just brush/rinse it off. Mine was all polished underneath, so just gacve it a quick re-polish and it still looks good.

22tunnel

Reaction score
Its easy use Air Craft paint remover By Klean Strip just brush on let sit for a minute or two and spry off with water hose

Enen

Reaction score
I just stripped the aluminum in my bilge to have it powder coated a new color. I took it to a professional metal stripping company in Phoenix. It wasn't expensive at all.

IMG_0774.JPG
IMG_0777.JPG
tIvAro3MSzmb5EaM6FfoxQ.jpg