WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Repealing Prop 13

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Anyone have a direct link on this? I was talking about this to another business owner in CA and he heard that this will only effect new sales moving forward. Meaning if your property wasn't sold then you are not going to be reassessed . But if you do sell, you are reassessed every year.

I don't know. The only thing I know is we lease our building and it has been owned by the same people for 30 yrs. I'm sure the rent will jump 30% if this is passed.

https://ballotpedia.org/California_...nd_Local_Government_Funding_Initiative_(2020)

redone76

Reaction score
This is awesome! Wonder how it'll affect commercial restaurant properties??? My inlaws own both properties that their restaurants sit on here in San Gabriel Valley. They operate on such a tight budget this could possibly close the doors...:(

Tank

Reaction score
Interesting read:

http://www.capoliticalreview.com/top-stories/california-is-taxing-our-patience/

January 10, 2020

It’s a new year and for Californians, that invariably means new taxes. But there are many questions the tax-grabbing state bureaucrats should be forced to answer first.

Why is California the only state in the country that stubbornly refuses to reveal public spending records to a government watchdog, which has now prompted threats of legal action? If California education spending is at an all-time high, why are schools still short on cash? Why is there is no way to track educational spending to ensure it is going to the right place?

To be sure, many tax dollars disappear into the bottomless hole also known as bureaucratic waste. But clearly a large chunk of that money goes for public employee pension and healthcare perks. In a paper published by the Brookings Institution in May, University of Missouri economics professor Cory Koedel writes, “California’s pension debt is harming teachers and students now — and it’s going to get worse.” He explains that the California State Teachers Retirement System’s total unfunded liability is over $100 billion, “which is greater than the total amount of money spent to educate all of California’s public K-12 students for a year ($97.2 billion).”

Robert Fellner, executive director of Transparent California, reports that “Nearly 80,000 California retirees are receiving $100,000 or more in pension pay.” He adds, “Spending 52 percent more than the market average for public employees’ medical insurance is costing California taxpayers at least $3.3 billion annually.”

Additionally, San Diego taxpayer activist Richard Rider reminds us that California already has by far the nation’s highest state income tax rate. And the highest state sales tax rate. And the highest gas tax. What qualifies as “good news” is that our capital gains tax is second highest…in the industrialized world.

No matter. The Sacramento tax machine is oiled up and ready for more plunder. In fact, two of the grabs to be put directly to voter curiously and confusingly invoke “Prop. 13.” In November, pending signatures, we will be treated to the “split roll” initiative which would gut Prop. 13 protections for businesses. What split roll proponents fail to acknowledge is that when business costs increase, they are passed on to customers.

The “Schools and Communities First” initiative would provide more money for “education and local services. Since 1978, Prop. 13 has limited property taxes on all forms of property to 1 percent of assessed value, and limits increases in that value to no more than 2 percent a year, except when properties change hands.

The second Prop. 13, which will be on the ballot March 3rd, has absolutely nothing to do with the 1978 version. The 2020 Prop. 13, a “School and College Facilities Bond,” would authorize $15 billion in general obligation bonds for school and college facilities.

Clearly, the new Prop. 13, unlike its predecessor, is no friend to taxpayers. As Howard Jarvis Taxpayer Association president Jon Coupal notes, the $15 billion figure “reflects typical credit card math” because the money would be borrowed from Wall Street, and taxpayers would pay it back plus 80 percent in total interest costs. Hence, the stated $15 billion eventually becomes $27 billion.

Many Californians have had it. Business are leaving. In 2018, 1,800 companies left the state, with most bound for Texas. California is regularly No. 50 on “Best States to do Business” lists. Such longtime big taxpaying firms like Toyota, Charles Schwab and Carl’s Jr. have left for tax-friendlier states recently.

Golden State taxpayers may have finally reached a tipping point. Measure EE, a parcel tax that needed a two-thirds majority, failed to pass last June. Not only didn’t it get the required two-thirds, it couldn’t even garner a simple majority. Also, in tony Marin County, residents have formed an advocacy group. The mission of the Coalition of Sensible Taxpayers (CO$T) is to “pressure school districts to rethink their spending and funding.”

Over the next year, you are going to hear all kinds of sob stories about needing more money for “the children.” It’s way past time to ignore them and instead, vote your already depleted wallet. You can start by just saying No to Prop. 13 on March 3rd.

sintax

Reaction score
yup, some young girl hit me up to sign the petition in front of a Targert here in So.Cal. She said "would you mind signing this petition to increase funding for schools and teachers??" I mean i'm not a total asshole, so I read the fine print on it. It took me about 30 seconds to realize this was a Prop 13 repeal effort. These fucking assholes keep hiding this shit and tricking these idiots into voting this stuff in.

Its no different than what Newsome did with the gas tax repeal, when it actually showed up on the ballot it was worded as "Remove 500 million from road repair funds" and had no mention of "gas tax" in there. Fuck these clowns.

bripar77

Reaction score
Typical Liberal Legislators taking money from successful people and giving it to others so they get their votes.
"Takers from the Makers"
They do this by constantly bagging on successful companies and people. Anybody that makes good money is Evil.
Sure is the wrong message to send to young people. Hard Work pays off isn't the message anymore it is the government
will give you free stuff and pay off Loans that you agreed to pay back so no reason to work hard.
This tax will effect me as a Business Owner that owns the building we operate from. Our Property Taxes on this
building currently is $ 24,000 a year for a 20,000 sq ft building. This is way to high as it is, especially the way the government
spends it.
But this will effect all business's in California even if you rent. Rents will go up to cover this increase to building owners.
Costs of all products and services will go up.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Typical Liberal Legislators taking money from successful people and giving it to others so they get their votes.
"Takers from the Makers"
They do this by constantly bagging on successful companies and people. Anybody that makes good money is Evil.
Sure is the wrong message to send to young people. Hard Work pays off isn't the message anymore it is the government
will give you free stuff and pay off Loans that you agreed to pay back so no reason to work hard.
This tax will effect me as a Business Owner that owns the building we operate from. Our Property Taxes on this
building currently is $ 24,000 a year for a 20,000 sq ft building. This is way to high as it is, especially the way the government
spends it.
But this will effect all business's in California even if you rent. Rents will go up to cover this increase to building owners.
Costs of all products and services will go up.

Yes sir. And this is what fools like Rod don't see. Farms are commercial properties. Dairies are commercial properties. Gas stations, truck stops, grocery stores, everything and everyone will be affected. It makes zero fucking sense to anyone with a brain...

Fuck Rod. @RodnJen

Anyone notice how quiet he suddenly got? He gets off on fucking other people over, while he cheats on his on properties.

@LargeOrangeFont figured him out pretty quick. The rest of you need to catch on.

WildHorses24

Reaction score
Yes sir. And this is what fools like Rod don't see. Farms are commercial properties. Dairies are commercial properties. Gas stations, truck stops, grocery stores, everything and everyone will be affected. It makes zero fucking sense to anyone with a brain...

Fuck Rod. @RodnJen

Anyone notice how quiet he suddenly got? He gets off on fucking other people over, while he cheats on his on properties.

@LargeOrangeFont figured him out pretty quick. The rest of you need to catch on.

This.... the little guy gets fucked. Every small business owner (like myself) on a NNN lease will pay the price as the owner passes the burden on to the tenant. I will most likely cut a part time employee to make up the difference. So the “Evil” wealthy property owners they set out to tax don’t feel it unless they’re owner occupied business.

“You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cdog

Reaction score
I suppose this would be an appropriate time to remind everybody that I am a commercial real estate broker in the great state of Arizona located in Scottsdale. We have low personal income tax, low corporate tax and low property taxes so if you’re ready to flee taxaFornia hit me up for both commercial property and your private residence in Scottsdale Phoenix area.

Cheers!

TeamGreene

Reaction score
Really astounding that the amount of money taken is never enough for the POS's in Sacramento. The funny part is that most of the people in favor, read public union members, are the first one's to high tail it to a low tax state the moment that they retire.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

I think farms are exempt Joe.

A "yes" vote supports this constitutional amendment to require commercial and industrial properties, except those zoned as commercial agriculture, to be taxed based on their market value, rather than their purchase price.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Folks that work for local and state government have no idea how the real world works. Had a conversation about this sometime back with a fellow that had a degree in economics and worked for the state of CA.
His response to these taxes targeted to business was “Well, I pay taxes, they should too.”

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I think farms are exempt Joe.

A "yes" vote supports this constitutional amendment to require commercial and industrial properties, except those zoned as commercial agriculture, to be taxed based on their market value, rather than their purchase price.

Copy that.

Prices on Everything will still go up if Rod and his cronies get their way.

Like someone else said, no matter how much they tax us for, it's never Ever enough.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
You would think anyone with half a brain would vote no on this but after the gas tax repeal didn’t happen I wouldn’t be surprised if this garbage went through. Next step after this they will be coming after the residential prop 13. One of the reasons I’m staying in my smaller house in CA and bought a second home in AZ instead of giving these crooks in ca more money.
The gas tax was Explained with lies, even from Caltrans, I know I just retired from Caltrans. Those Hwys Maintenance still will not be maintained, at least in Northern Ca.
The Hwy projects do not get approved cause the upper Supervisors Deny the projects so they get a raise for saving the state money for the year. it's bull shit

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Foke. The landlord just raised my rent on my office again.

If this passes it will go up again

Thanks alot Tards

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

lbhsbz

Reaction score

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Foke. The landlord just raised my rent on my office again.

If this passes it will go up again

Thanks alot Tards

They raised the rent on our business to the tune of 1k bucks a month, just a couple of months ago.

Landowners are getting ready for this to pass. They know how stupid the sheeple are.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I'm really curious to see what would happen if Prop 13 goes away. Literally the only thing keeping us at our current house is the low property taxes. With that gone it might be a much needed swift kick to the ass to move.

Oh No no no no no...
Don’t even THINK IT!!!!

RodnJen

Reaction score
Rod,

How do you define comprehensive tax reform? I assume you have potential outcomes you believe should be enacted?

Does this measure to change property taxes on commercial properties meet that definition? Would the same for residential taxes?

California has been relying on volatile income and sales taxes increasingly since the implementation of Prop 13. When you look at the tax rates they are both too high. The state relies heavily on high income earners that do really well in times of prosperity, like now. When things slow down revenue falls drastically.

The real issue is both what and who are being taxed. Years of lobbying by special interests have made Swiss cheese of the tax code at both the state and federal level. If special exemptions were audited/eliminated the tax rate could be lowered across the board. This is currently being looked at with regard to sales taxes.

Regarding sales tax, that part of the code was designed 70 years ago to capture the existing economy of that era that included strong agricultural and manufacturing. CA, along with the rest of the US has shifted to a service and information economy, much of which goes untaxed.

Studies show that the current sales tax structure only captures 30% of the modern economy. Again, it’s what not being taxed that is the issue. Reduce the exemptions, tax the existing economy and LOWER the tax rate.

Prop 13 has its place, no doubt, but it needs to be revisited. That’s why compressive reform in all areas makes sense. Not sure the state is capable of such a massive undertaking but that doesn’t mean it should be ignored. Lower tax rates and less volatility are the goal. And of course sufficient revenue to fund programs and services. Feel free to monitor spending all you want, the more citizens paying attention the better.

@rivermobster Not hiding, just busy.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
He did it! AG Becerra got the major property tax on the ballot. Your property tax increases are on the launch pad. California politicians are trying to repeal prop 13 by slipping it under the radar. California's Attorney General, Xavier Becerra is putting together plans to raise property tax revenue by eliminating the only thing keeping some people's property tax from sky rocketing, Prop 13.
Because they know it will be unpopular if presented as "Repeal Prop 13," Xavier Becerra has strategically relabeled it "Education and Local Government Funding." It's already on the 2020 ballot and like the gasoline tax, it will be worded in a way that misleads California voters. People renting may see it as a way to get something for nothing, but the long term result will be higher rents to pay due to the increase in property taxes.
People are leaving the state in record numbers, and many here are barely hanging on, this could be something that changes the face of California forever.
I saw on the news the other day 55% of people moving in California are moving out selling for Big$$$ and buying twice as much for 1/2$

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
California has been relying on volatile income and sales taxes increasingly since the implementation of Prop 13. When you look at the tax rates they are both too high. The state relies heavily on high income earners that do really well in times of prosperity, like now. When things slow down revenue falls drastically.

The real issue is both what and who are being taxed. Years of lobbying by special interests have made Swiss cheese of the tax code at both the state and federal level. If special exemptions were audited/eliminated the tax rate could be lowered across the board. This is currently being looked at with regard to sales taxes.

Regarding sales tax, that part of the code was designed 70 years ago to capture the existing economy of that era that included strong agricultural and manufacturing. CA, along with the rest of the US has shifted to a service and information economy, much of which goes untaxed.

Studies show that the current sales tax structure only captures 30% of the modern economy. Again, it’s what not being taxed that is the issue. Reduce the exemptions, tax the existing economy and LOWER the tax rate.

Prop 13 has its place, no doubt, but it needs to be revisited. That’s why compressive reform in all areas makes sense. Not sure the state is capable of such a massive undertaking but that doesn’t mean it should be ignored. Lower tax rates and less volatility are the goal. And of course sufficient revenue to fund programs and services. Feel free to monitor spending all you want, the more citizens paying attention the better.

You are a fool to think ANYONE in CA will ever lower ANY tax rates...

How about we look at SPENDING instead?? Less sanctuary. Less waste. Less pay for the greedy politicians that are behind this effort. Less illegals being housed.

Spending is the problem, certainly not lack of income.

Did you even read the proposal??? It says the General Fund will come FIRST, along with the people to monitor all the new income. Schools are LAST on the list. You people will do and say ANYTHING to get what you want.

Gawd you are such a tool. :thumbdown:

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
You are a fool to think ANYONE in CA will ever lower ANY tax rates...

How about we look at SPENDING instead?? Less sanctuary. Less waste. Less pay for the greedy politicians that are behind this effort. Less illegals being housed.

Spending is the problem, certainly not lack of income.

Did you even read the proposal??? It says the General Fund will come FIRST, along with the people to monitor all the new income. Schools are LAST on the list. You people will do and say ANYTHING to get what you want.

Gawd you are such a tool. :thumbdown:
Salaries and pensions are paid out of the general fund , salaries and pensions account for .80 out of every dollar collected. Pension funds are woefully underfunded...I’m talking Ca govt salaries and pensions.

thetub

Reaction score
Salaries and pensions are paid out of the general fund , salaries and pensions account for .80 out of every dollar collected. Pension funds are woefully underfunded...I’m talking Ca govt salaries and pensions.

this is it in a nutshell...

trillion $ upside down for pensions...

making promises they cant keep...

pretty soon they will confiscate properties from the surfs and it still wont be enough...

billions spent on homeless "addicts". we need housing we need housing...

just in Whittier they closed the park down and offered 45 addicts housing and only 2 took up the offer...

bripar77

Reaction score

If the state could figure out how to be effecient, like we all have to be running our business's or even us working everyday, there would be no need
for added taxes. But those Bozo's don't understand what a real budget is. They solution is if we are short on money let's just tax
more. God help them if they cut their costs.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
If the state could figure out how to be effecient, like we all have to be running our business's or even us working everyday, there would be no need
for added taxes. But those Bozo's don't understand what a real budget is. They solution is if we are short on money let's just tax
more. God help them if they cut their costs.
The problem is they think every business is run like tech companies. Where the have huge profit margins and very little competition. Every one else is well under 10% and has to fight bothocal and the internet

thetub

Reaction score
The problem is they think every business is run like tech companies. Where the have huge profit margins and very little competition. Every one else is well under 10% and has to fight bothocal and the internet

this. thank you

they govnm. employees sit in their cubicles pissed off at small business owners thinking their raking in money...

they have zero clue how a business is run or costs of running one. zero

thetub

Reaction score
I have a few relatives that are 90+ still in ca that prop 13 is the only way thry can afford to stay in thier home.

hey they lived their lives time to vamoos...

its the party of the people and the older folks didnt you know... ya right...

they basically want google boy, skinny jean, thick lens glasses tech turds , prof. athletes , actors and rich foreigners living here only...

then govn. employees and the surf working class below them...

saucedaddy

Reaction score
this is it in a nutshell...

trillion $ upside down for pensions...

making promises they cant keep...

pretty soon they will confiscate properties from the surfs and it still wont be enough...

billions spent on homeless "addicts". we need housing we need housing...

just in Whittier they closed the park down and offered 45 addicts housing and only 2 took up the offer...
Ty boy to the front office! Government leaching is the topic.

redone76

Reaction score
But don’t we have a budget surplus here in California...

thetub

Reaction score
Ty boy to the front office! Government leaching is the topic.

fu-k off jizzdaddy

TY is old school and actually works for his keep ...

you liberal pukes constantly put them in harms way and handcuff them from doing their yobs right passing more and more stupid laws protecting criminals...

now the generation popos we shall see...

RCDave

Reaction score
Let's see, in the last few years: higher income tax, higher sales tax, higher gas tax, higher car registration fees, untold number of higher fees, billions in new bond debt instruments, etc.

It will never be enough for the commie pinko liberals in this state.

Reform is just a diversion from their real intent. To tax the productive into serfdom

thetub

Reaction score
Let's see, in the last few years: higher income tax, higher sales tax, higher gas tax, higher car registration fees, untold number of higher fees, billions in new bond debt instruments, etc.

It will never be enough for the commie pinko liberals in this state.

Reform is just a diversion from their real intent. To tax the productive into serfdom

wheres the lotto money?

wheres the dope money?

wheres the gambling casino money?

wheres the money?

saucedaddy

Reaction score
fu-k off jizzdaddy

TY is old school and actually works for his keep ...

you liberal pukes constantly put them in harms way and handcuff them from doing their yobs right passing more and more stupid laws protecting criminals...

now the generation popos we shall see...
He’s old school millennial! Lol
Btw... pick up a grammar book!

saucedaddy

Reaction score
fu-k off

im a caveman and proud of it...

and you got the point regardless that yore a goo gobbler and deepthroat the big D
It’s ok to write the whole word out lil tubby. Try writing without your chastity belt so tight.

thetub

Reaction score
It’s ok to write the whole word out lil tubby. Try writing without your chastity belt so tight.

out of respect of the web owner and refraining from cussing in general rather not...

dont want to stoop down to yore level loser.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
And higher wages in the last few years. ;) :)

500bbc

Reaction score
I do not want to move Rod . i like where I live . I like my business. It's not for sale anymore . We decided. To keep going for another 10 years . Don't get me wrong we thought about it. Was huge decision , on our part.
We live a simple life .
Kids are grown, on there own .
Family is here .
But this would devestate , a small business like mine.
Along with all the small mom and pop shops around us .

Just sad , that one group of people want to take so much , from a group of people, that just want to work hard and enjoy a little bit of life.
Rod is so fucking stupid that he cant grasp the simple fact that the more money Libturds steal from the populace the worse the state gets

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
I saw on the news the other day 55% of people moving in California are moving out selling for Big$$$ and buying twice as much for 1/2$

My in-laws just moved to Eagle Idaho, a suburb of Boise. They sold there house in Northridge for 1 million which was way under market and was gone the third day. They purchased a brand new 2,500 S/F house on a man made lake with all the Bell's and whistles you could want in a house for 450K. The total of all their utility's is less than 200 a month and gas is just over 2 bucks a gallon. They are living like Kings and are hard pressed to spend 1,500 - 2,000 a month. Shit, my MIL registered her brand new Chevy Colorado and it was less than 150 for two years.

It's getting harder and harder to justify staying in California. If Prop 13 gets repealed, I'm probably out of here!

saucedaddy

Reaction score
out of respect of the web owner and refraining from cussing in general rather not...

dont want to stoop down to yore level loser.
Ooops! “Respect” & “Stooping” Trumpkin style!
hey Sauceless Fuck off...
listen to you fucking idiots
listen to her fuck both businesses the old business with lower tax rates and fuck them to pay higher rates like the newer business. ya fuck them both... logic...

you guys are terrorists to this state

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
My in-laws just moved to Eagle Idaho, a suburb of Boise. They sold there house in Northridge for 1 million which was way under market and was gone the third day. They purchased a brand new 2,500 S/F house on a man made lake with all the Bell's and whistles you could want in a house for 450K. The total of all their utility's is less than 200 a month and gas is just over 2 bucks a gallon. They are living like Kings and are hard pressed to spend 1,500 - 2,000 a month. Shit, my MIL registered her brand new Chevy Colorado and it was less than 150 for two years.

It's getting harder and harder to justify staying in California. If Prop 13 gets repealed, I'm probably out of here!
My boss bought 10 acres outside Boise last year. He spent 2 weeks there over the holidays. He was telling us the other day the locals aren't to happy with the new homes that are being built and bought by CA retirees. I guess they better get used to it.