WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Repealing Prop 13

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
My boss bought 10 acres outside Boise last year. He spent 2 weeks there over the holidays. He was telling us the other day the locals aren't to happy with the new homes that are being built and bought by CA retirees. I guess they better get used to it.

All of the locals now are Republican middle class California Expats! Literally 9 out of 10 people that you meet there are from Socal.

NOTSOFAST

Reaction score
(e) (l) Provided fi-[ty percent (50%) or more of tlie occupied square footage of a commercial or industrial real property is occupied by a small business as defined in paragraph (4) of this subdivision, the provisions of paragraph (1) of subdivision (a) shall not take effect prior to the lien date for the 2025-26 fiscal year; provided, however, tliat if the Legislature establishes by statute pursuant to subdivision (b) that a real property qualified rinder tliis paragraph shall be reassessed on a lien date subseqrient to tlie 2025-26 fiscal year, tlien such property shall be reassessed commencing on that subsequent lien date.

(2) In orderto beeligible for thedeferralprovidedby paragraph(1) of this subdivision,the owner of the property sliall make a claim and ceitify aru'iually to tlie corinty assessor under

penalty of perjury tliat tlie conditions required by paragraph (1) of this subdivision for deferral from reassessment liave been met and shall be subject to audit by tlie county or the Board of Eqrialization as to that certification.
(3) Any real property for which reassessment is deferred under paragrapli (1) of tliis subdivision shall only be eligible for deferral so long as it meets the conditions imposed by paragraph (l) of this subdivision and if there is any change in the direct or indirect beneficial ownersl'iip of sucli real propeity, a new claim and ceitification must be made to the county assessor. Upon termination of the deferral, tlie propeity shall be subject to paragraph (1) of subdivision (a).

(4) For purposes of this subdivision, tl'ie term small business sliall include only those businesses whicli meet all of tlie following conditions:

1. (A) The business lias fewer tlian 50 annual full-time eqriivalent employees.

2. (B) The business is independently owned and operated such tliat tlie business ownership
interests, management and operation are not subject to control, restriction, modification or limitation by an outside source, individual or another business.

(C) Tlie business owns real propeity located in California.

I apologize for this copy. I don't know why this came out so illiterate. It is copied right from the text of the bill but I'm not a computer wiz so you can dig into the bill to find this in an easier-to-read format. This is a caveat for small business owners that will delay the assessment until 2025-2026 if I'm reading the bill correctly. The original bill exempted small businesses with 50 employees or less but Beccerra and his goons changed it up a bit. There are other parts to this in the bill that may make the small business owner, with the conditions stated above eligible for continued deferral.

saucedaddy

Reaction score
ok you win wordsmith...

yore the bestest and smartest and goodest idiot here
Got 2 hypocrites today! Winning!
Dinner time... Meatloaf on sourdough!
B6C47D9A-DA01-41A0-9CB7-C52576825BCA.jpeg

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Let's see, in the last few years: higher income tax, higher sales tax, higher gas tax, higher car registration fees, untold number of higher fees, billions in new bond debt instruments, etc.

It will never be enough for the commie pinko liberals in this state.

Reform is just a diversion from their real intent. To tax the productive into serfdom
You forgot Cap and trade , millions !!

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Exactly...so I gave them the option last week and told them to think about it...I can either start raising their rent the max allowable amount, or when my costs get a big bump, they’ll get a 30 days notice...they’re discussing which they’d prefer.
You don't have to kick them out..... It's just whenever their lease is up. And it can be as short as 6 months.
And higher wages in the last few years. ;) :)
Nowhere near enough to outpace the cost of living increases. The increase in health insurance alone FAR outpaced any income increase I had or any friends or family I spoke to. Hence the biggest reason why we left. And a good thing we did... Health insurance went up roughly 40% for the shit plan we were on there. No way in the world we would have been able to afford it and a mortgage let alone rent.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

lbhsbz

Reaction score
California has been relying on volatile income and sales taxes increasingly since the implementation of Prop 13. When you look at the tax rates they are both too high. The state relies heavily on high income earners that do really well in times of prosperity, like now. When things slow down revenue falls drastically.

The real issue is both what and who are being taxed. Years of lobbying by special interests have made Swiss cheese of the tax code at both the state and federal level. If special exemptions were audited/eliminated the tax rate could be lowered across the board. This is currently being looked at with regard to sales taxes.

Regarding sales tax, that part of the code was designed 70 years ago to capture the existing economy of that era that included strong agricultural and manufacturing. CA, along with the rest of the US has shifted to a service and information economy, much of which goes untaxed.

Studies show that the current sales tax structure only captures 30% of the modern economy. Again, it’s what not being taxed that is the issue. Reduce the exemptions, tax the existing economy and LOWER the tax rate.

Prop 13 has its place, no doubt, but it needs to be revisited. That’s why compressive reform in all areas makes sense. Not sure the state is capable of such a massive undertaking but that doesn’t mean it should be ignored. Lower tax rates and less volatility are the goal. And of course sufficient revenue to fund programs and services. Feel free to monitor spending all you want, the more citizens paying attention the better.

@rivermobster Not hiding, just busy.

No you idiot, the real issue is out of control spending

KevinR

Reaction score
“Lower tax rates and less volatility are the goal.”

Rod I agree!

Along with less spending. Although they have pretty much made that damn near impossible with all the pensions and other fixed costs of the budget.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
You don't have to kick them out..... It's just whenever their lease is up. And it can be as short as 6 months.Nowhere near enough to outpace the cost of living increases. The increase in health insurance alone FAR outpaced any income increase I had or any friends or family I spoke to. Hence the biggest reason why we left. And a good thing we did... Health insurance went up roughly 40% for the shit plan we were on there. No way in the world we would have been able to afford it and a mortgage let alone rent.

Maybe not in your case. But many of my friends and coworkers are making more then the increases you are referring to.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Maybe not in your case. But many of my friends and coworkers are making more then the increases you are referring to.
None of my friends and most family aren't either. Most of them had their health insurance jump up yet again this year along with PG&E increasing electricity rates and gas prices going up and all that as well, MANY are hurting. But then again, most my friends and family are making right around $100k/year. Which is likely where most of that difference comes in at?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So let's get this straight...

This bill has zero to do with the schools. It's a way for the libtards to chop away at prop 13. (they need more money for entitlement programs/more votes)

@RodnJen think's that the way to reduce taxes, is by increasing them. (clearly, Rod is a moron)

It wouldn't be so bad if the libtards came out and said exactly WHY this needs to be done, but they don't. They lie, and spin bullshit into something the sheeples hearts will latch on to, so they can get their way.

My wife is in the accounting department at a college. She is actually in charge of the grant money that the schools get. There is NO shortage of funds.

So fuck all you lying sacks of shit. One day karma will eat you alive. (if the rest of us don't get to you first)

dribble

Reaction score
Folks that work for local and state government have no idea how the real world works. Had a conversation about this sometime back with a fellow that had a degree in economics and worked for the state of CA.
His response to these taxes targeted to business was “Well, I pay taxes, they should too.”

THat is a general statement that is not entirely true. The state agency I worked at was at least 90 percent anti-tax, conservative republican, hot rodding, boat owning motorcycle riding gearheads.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Am I the 1st to see the Prop 13 commercials starting to air? And they make no mention of property tax increases whatsoever. They do inform viewers that all of the money is to be used for school improvements and I think that is how they intend to sway voters on this measure.

I am all of helping schools, and making improvements, etc... but what happened to all of the CA Lottery funding that was also to be used? What about cutting funding on the bullet train abortion and putting that money to schools? Things are just getting out of hand...

Not looking to debate with anyone, but if this bill goes thru its going to have a huge impact on home owners and people not being able to afford current homes

I was looking for a clip of the commercial I saw but was unsuccessful. I did come across this video and thought it was interesting to hear a students perspective of the proposal.

And is there really confusion around Prop 13 from 1978 and 2020 or is this the way the government is trying to slide this in under the radar?

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Am I the 1st to see the Prop 13 commercials starting to air? And they make no mention of property tax increases whatsoever. They do inform viewers that all of the money is to be used for school improvements and I think that is how they intend to sway voters on this measure.

I am all of helping schools, and making improvements, etc... but what happened to all of the CA Lottery funding that was also to be used? What about cutting funding on the bullet train abortion and putting that money to schools? Things are just getting out of hand...

Not looking to debate with anyone, but if this bill goes thru its going to have a huge impact on home owners and people not being able to afford current homes

I was looking for a clip of the commercial I saw but was unsuccessful. I did come across this video and thought it was interesting to hear a students perspective of the proposal.

And is there really confusion around Prop 13 from 1978 and 2020 or is this the way the government is trying to slide this in under the radar?

They are bombarding people with positive propaganda so when it passes we won’t be shocked and surprised. I firmly believe that elections are corrupt and hacked .

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I think they may have ammended the bill?

When I read what came in the mail, it was all about selling bonds to pay for the (supposed) school improvements.

Anyone know for sure??

Meaney77

Reaction score
They are bombarding people with positive propaganda so when it passes we won’t be shocked and surprised. I firmly believe that elections are corrupt and hacked .
Totally agree....So with that being said do we error on the conservative side and vote against it?

Something tells me this is going to end up just like the gas tax...

I think this is why alot of people simply dont vote- all of these props are confusing and not very black and white so people go to the polls and rush through the process not fully understanding what it is they are voting for or they just choose not to vote at all.

They need a scaled down cliff notes version for some of this stuff

Last edited:

hawgty55

Reaction score
When it passes im sure it will cause another big movement out of California

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score

When I read what came in the mail, it was all about selling bonds to pay for the (supposed) school improvements.

Anyone know for sure??

that's how I read it as well...selling bonds for the $15B in funding. I read the text of this Prop 13 measure and unless I missed it, there was nothing saying Business Property Tax would change. Maybe there's some tricky wording in there giving the State the green light if it passes to switch from bond selling to re-structuring business property tax. It wouldn't surprise me. Seems like most ballot measures end up confusing the voter, which is the goal of politicians apparently.

More bond measures that end up not funding their intended purposes. But, it's for the schools folks. So they say....

LuauLounge

Reaction score
So, Prop 13 on the 2020 ballot is a school bond measure, nothing more.

California Tax on Commercial and Industrial Properties for Education and Local Government Funding Initiative (2020)
This is the split roll assault on Prop 13, passed in the 70's.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
And the Dems currently have a 13 BILLION budget $ surplus!
If that is truly the case then it looks like it's time for the Feds to pull back their funding. No need to support this state with Fed money if it can handle it on its own.

Last edited:

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Simple solution. No on further government funding. They apparently have a huge surplus now, should be able to manage it just fine. And can you imagine if all that funding only went to legal citizens, or those that actually contribute legally.

NOTSOFAST

Reaction score
I have been voting in the state of California long before we approved a lottery here that was " for the schools" Do not be fooled by these propositions. Very little of the promised money from these bonds actually help the schools. For over 40 years, the voters here have been blindly approving bonds for schools in the guise of helping the kids, and why not, they are our future, but it's bullshit! If the politicians truly cared about the kids, our education system would not be 48th in the nation! Don't buy in! Make these fuckers look in the mirror!

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
So, Prop 13 on the 2020 ballot is a school bond measure, nothing more.

California Tax on Commercial and Industrial Properties for Education and Local Government Funding Initiative (2020)
This is the split roll assault on Prop 13, passed in the 70's.

^^^^^^^^^This. "The Prop 13" bill is on the March 3rd ballot. The CA tax on Commercial Properties is on the Nov ballot.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

Anyone know for sure??
See post #118. ;)

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Rod's going to be here any minute now to tell you ALL, this is the best thing since sliced bread!!!!! The guy want's nothing more than to throw YOUR Grandparents out of their house they've been in over 50 years. Take it to the bank, here he comes yelling Prop 13 isn't fair and YOU ALL should vote against Prop 13!!!!.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Rod's going to be here any minute now to tell you ALL, this is the best thing since sliced bread!!!!! The guy want's nothing more than to throw YOUR Grandparents out of their house they've been in over 50 years. Take it to the bank, here he comes yelling Prop 13 isn't fair and YOU ALL should vote against Prop 13!!!!.
See post #118..:rolleyes:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
See post #118. ;)

Well I was hoping for more than a post on the interweb...

Like a link to the revised proposition? Something solid and credible?

Wanna make Sure I didn't read it wrong. Not that I'm going to vote for it with way...

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Well I was hoping for more than a post on the interweb...

Like a link to the revised proposition? Something solid and credible?

Wanna make Sure I didn't read it wrong. Not that I'm going to vote for it with way...

Not sure what was revised. There are 2 different props for 2 separate elections. 1 in March and 1 in Nov. The commercial property tax prop is in Nov.

The campaign for the California Schools and Local Communities Funding Act of 2020, also known as the "split-roll" measure, is still gathering signatures to qualify for the November ballot. It is backed by a group of union and social justice organizations.

California Proposition 13, the School and College Facilities Bond, is on the ballot in California as a legislatively referred bond question on March 3, 2020.[1]

RCDave

Reaction score
Not sure what was revised. There are 2 different props for 2 separate elections. 1 in March and 1 in Nov. The commercial property tax prop is in Nov.

The campaign for the California Schools and Local Communities Funding Act of 2020, also known as the "split-roll" measure, is still gathering signatures to qualify for the November ballot. It is backed by a group of union and social justice organizations.

Both designed by evil money stealing scum

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

California Proposition 13, the School and College Facilities Bond, is on the ballot in California as a legislatively referred bond question on March 3, 2020.[1]

Ah. Ok. Copy that.

Thanks..

thetub

Reaction score
that's how I read it as well...selling bonds for the $15B in funding. I read the text of this Prop 13 measure and unless I missed it, there was nothing saying Business Property Tax would change. Maybe there's some tricky wording in there giving the State the green light if it passes to switch from bond selling to re-structuring business property tax. It wouldn't surprise me. Seems like most ballot measures end up confusing the voter, which is the goal of politicians apparently.

More bond measures that end up not funding their intended purposes. But, it's for the schools folks. So they say....

pretty much spot on. Its a free country and people can vote the way they want, but would advise to vote against it.

this is probably the opening or precursor to the real prop 13 for Nov.

either way all these bond measures are ways to steal money from tax payers and give them to buddy buddy back room deal contracts to relatives or friends...

you know fire sprinkler installers and so on...

Mikes56

Reaction score
Anyone else suspicious about them calling it Proposition 13? Why would they name it the same if it was completely different? It just doesn't make sense.
Anyone else think the description is a complete lie? God I hope I'm wrong.

schiadastan

Reaction score
You need to look into prop FD that prop if it go’s thru will raise your property tax .6 cents a square yard on your whole property, not the house line , property line

schiadastan

Reaction score
You need to look into prop FD that prop if it go’s thru will raise your property tax .6 cents a square yard on your whole property, not the house line , property line
I’m sorry 6 cents a square foot NOT yard

schiadastan

Reaction score
It will raise my property tax over 2 K a year I’m on a little over a Third of an acre

84miller

Reaction score
I did my standard vote. I always vote no on any new taxes or bonds period. In regards to the prop13 on the current ballot I did read it. "The school bonds will be repaid for the next 20 years via property tax", meaning 2 to 5 hundred as a "addon" to your current bill. It will past because most voters see school and say yes. News alert, schools have too much money already. It pisses me off, but there is nothing I can do but place my vote. I really wish people would think before voting. Remember, CA has such a huge surplus of funds, it was voted to provide health coverage for illegals up to age 25 then a break in age, then age 65 or older. Lookout because what is happening in CA will spread to other states faster then you can imagine. TX will go dem in 2024....

RodnJen

Reaction score
I did my standard vote. I always vote no on any new taxes or bonds period. In regards to the prop13 on the current ballot I did read it. "The school bonds will be repaid for the next 20 years via property tax", meaning 2 to 5 hundred as a "addon" to your current bill. It will past because most voters see school and say yes. News alert, schools have too much money already. It pisses me off, but there is nothing I can do but place my vote. I really wish people would think before voting. Remember, CA has such a huge surplus of funds, it was voted to provide health coverage for illegals up to age 25 then a break in age, then age 65 or older. Lookout because what is happening in CA will spread to other states faster then you can imagine. TX will go dem in 2024....

Wrong. Bonds are issued on the ability to pay based on existing pledged revenues.

socal0487

Reaction score
Anyone else suspicious about them calling it Proposition 13? Why would they name it the same if it was completely different? It just doesn't make sense.
Anyone else think the description is a complete lie? God I hope I'm wrong.

it’s likely to deceive everyone like it currently is with people in here. People will vote down prop 13 on March 3rd thinking they’re in the clear then come November the real Prop 13 with no mention of the prop in the name gets less attention. I hope I’m wrong but Xavier Becerra is a jackass and wouldn’t put it past him

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
Hopefully some of these tax increases will go to finishing the bullet train.

Reactions: t&y

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I don't need to start any posts about how focked up California is. There's one on here every few days and this proposition which likely will pass will add a bunch more nails to the coffin that is the Golden State.

FishSniper

Reaction score
Just watch , it’ll miraculously pass just like the gas tax ! And then try to tell me voting hasn’t been hacked ...
Only property owners should be able to vote whether or not to repeal prop 13. Why should anyone that doesn’t own property have a say ? Non property owners will vote to repeal it hoping their handouts from the state will get better without any affect to themselves not realizing prices of everything will rise.

84miller

Reaction score
Wrong. Bonds are issued on the ability to pay based on existing pledged revenues.

Normally I would agree with you, however from my understanding the payback on this will be a addon to the property tax billing. It is a way to increase your property tax bill by passing the "old" prop13 increase limits. Which concerned me greatly when I read it. Hope you are right, and I am wrong....

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Normally I would agree with you, however from my understanding the payback on this will be a addon to the property tax billing. It is a way to increase your property tax bill by passing the "old" prop13 increase limits. Which concerned me greatly when I read it. Hope you are right, and I am wrong....
Where did you read this?

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
The only thing wrong around here is you...

Get lost libtard.
With all due respect Joe. You didn’t know the difference between the new Prop 13 on the March ballot and the Split Roll Commercial Property Tax measure on the Nov. ballot..Just saying. :cool: :cool:

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I don't need to start any posts about how focked up California is. There's one on here every few days and this proposition which likely will pass will add a bunch more nails to the coffin that is the Golden State.
Check your CA. ballot info. Never mind you couldn’t make it it in CA. MMD Lol :p