WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Replace upper unit cost?

Briley

Reaction score
Cobra 280 Python, with 525. Upper unit gear broke and damaged hosing. Do I need to replace with Teague Platinum upper. They believe the weight of boat was a factor of breaking Mercury XR.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
$8500 for max machine to rebuild my upper with all of their trick shit. I also bought a complete new XR as well for $7500.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Cobra 280 Python, with 525. Upper unit gear broke and damaged hosing. Do I need to replace with Teague Platinum upper. They believe the weight of boat was a factor of breaking Mercury XR.

How many hours were on the drive? They all break, its just a matter of when. And yes, the gear sets are no different in the Teague, they all use the same gear merc gear sets.

farmo83

Reaction score
Don't teague/max machine shim them differently so the gears hold up better ?

Briley

Reaction score
Teague platinum upper is using the same exact gear as what just broke FYI
Wel
How many hours were on the drive? They all break, its just a matter of when. And yes, the gear sets are no different in the Teague, they all use the same gear merc gear sets.
Just over 300 hours. And I didn't realize same gears... so why wouldn't I use same model mercury XR upper housing?

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Wel

Just over 300 hours. And I didn't realize same gears... so why wouldn't I use same model mercury XR upper housing?
Teague does use their own shafts and they blue print the drive to make bearing clearances and shaft clearances are perfect

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Wel

At over 300 hours you did very well. If you can get 300 out of a stock XR the boat isnt too heavy, its just routine failure basically, I would just buy another XR upper. I found a brand new, still in the box XR on ebay at a dealer up in washington state for $7500, and then sold the lower that I didnt need which got me $2200 back.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I’d call MMW or Teague whoever’s closet to you, then price a rebuild then a beefed up rebuild. When i redid my whole drive, had i left the lower alone and done only the upper, the difference between rebuilding at a stock Xr parts or the MMWxR really wasn’t a big $ difference. And the only thing those two guys do 5+ days a week is build build build drives so they can do with their eyes closed and have a great turnaround time

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I’d call MMW or Teague whoever’s closet to you, then price a rebuild then a beefed up rebuild. When i redid my whole drive, had i left the lower alone and done only the upper, the difference between rebuilding at a stock Xr parts or the MMWxR really wasn’t a big $ difference. And the only thing those two guys do 5+ days a week is build build build drives so they can do with their eyes closed and have a great turnaround time

If you have a chance take a tour of MMW its very impressive all of the advancements that they have thought up and incorporated into a bravo, its always bugged me that Mercury doesnt adopt some of the things that they are doing.

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
$8500 for max machine to rebuild my upper with all of their trick shit. I also bought a complete new XR as well for $7500.

Where did you find a full complete new XR for that price????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rayson1971

Reaction score
Problem is too if not mentioned already is that metal pieces can get into lower and mess it up down there. Should be opened up also to make sure it didn't do anything to the gears. At least clean it out of any debris. At least that's what was told. Could be wrong.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Just step up and bolt on an SCX drive and don’t look back . Sell your old drive for parts . Who wants to be in the middle of lake Mead and blow a drive . It will happen again . The rebuilds seem to blow quicker .

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Where did you find a full complete new XR for that price????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eBay, dealer in Washington state had it in inventory for a few years, we activated the warranty when I got it

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Problem is too if not mentioned already is that metal pieces can get into lower and mess it up down there. Should be opened up also to make sure it didn't do anything to the gears. At least clean it out of any debris. At least that's what was told. Could be wrong.
Someone recently (I think it was Jeff Harris) posted on FB where gear material can hide and doing a “flush” of a lower/upper won’t get it out. So yes, everything needs to be pulled apart, inspected, and cleaned if you had a drive fail. That includes the reservoir bottle believe it or not. I’ll try to find the post

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Found it

99235515-F939-4D96-B1C6-D4B530DED8AF.png
72625FC3-0BA8-4C4E-B159-0C09FA33AE3C.jpeg
0B837FD4-F041-4AB7-A588-5D9ECC5A91E7.jpeg
06340E7F-368D-455C-B2EB-8475FA422D36.jpeg

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
If you have a chance take a tour of MMW its very impressive all of the advancements that they have thought up and incorporated into a bravo, its always bugged me that Mercury doesnt adopt some of the things that they are doing.
Yes he was very adamant of the tour before they did the build. He really seems to want you to see and know what you are getting for the extra cost. Will show the difference between B1/XR/and MMW parts do you can see what why and how.