WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Replaced gimbal ring on my Bravo III this weekend...

WTRR

Not On The Boat
Reaction score
Mine had been experiencing some play in it for a couple of years. Last summer I had to take the boat to the local Merc shop to get my aft prop repaired. They noticed the play in the unit and gave me an estimate of $2800 to repair it. I passed and decided I'd do it myself. Picked up a gimbal ring from a guy that was parting out several boats and paid $125 for it. They run around $800 or so from Merc. Hooked up with these guys while doing research on the web: http://www.jrmarine.com/

They sell a template kit and replacement hinge pin and U bolt to do the job. I'd seen replacements done by drilling two holes in the sides of the transom and wasn't too crazy about it. While I had the drive off I also replaced the gimbal bearing,drive bellows and shifter cable boot. Took me and a friend about 8 hours to do the work. Had about $700 in parts. If yours needs replacing, JR Marine has some good videos showing how to do it.

Here is a pic after I drilled out the access hole and cut it open with a drimel tool. This is to access the hinge pin hut and loosen the steering arm bolt.

Columbia-20130126-00239.jpg

Here is the top of the gimbal ring showing wear from the hinge pin. I could swing the outdrive about 5 inches left and right without moving the steering wheel. I don't know how far it goes before you would experience steering control failure.

Columbia-20130126-00241.jpg

This is showing the cover plate with the JR Marine kit. You drill and tap the transom and mount the plate using silicone and the SS cap screws. Looks better than plugging a hole on each side of the transom with plastic caps. Absolutely no play in the drive at all now. Just waiting for warm weather now... :D :D

Camden-20130127-00243.jpg

Eroc5150

Reaction score
Nice work! I've been thinking about doing this kit for a while now. The videos make it look pretty easy but I've never done any serious mechanical work before. I got a quote from a local shop said they'd do it for $1800. $700 sure seems a lot better. Did that $700 include sending him the new ring to get worked? He sends the wrenches, drills and everything you need, right?

WTRR

Not On The Boat
Reaction score
Nice work! I've been thinking about doing this kit for a while now. The videos make it look pretty easy but I've never done any serious mechanical work before. I got a quote from a local shop said they'd do it for $1800. $700 sure seems a lot better. Did that $700 include sending him the new ring to get worked? He sends the wrenches, drills and everything you need, right?

I didn't send my old ring in to them. I found a guy local that was parting out some boats and bought a Magnum gimbal ring from him for $125. I ordered their kit and wrenches that they have modified to make it easier to get to the steering arm bolt.

The rest of the money was used to buy new u-joint bellows, shifter cable bellows gimbal bearing and seal kit for the outdrive. Figured while I had it apart, I'd replace everything I could. It all came up to $670 or so...not including beer. :D

If you've ever pulled your drive or replaced an engine...you won't have any problems. You WILL need somebody to help you. Removing the outdrive and putting it back on can be a bitch if you do it by yourself. It's a heavy mf'er and doesn't have any handles...

Eroc5150

Reaction score
Cool, thanks man!
That's a killer deal on a good ring. I've been keeping an eye out for one cause I would rather just replace it like you did. Looks like I need to start buying some other parts too. Smart to just replace it all while you have it apart.
Well I've never pulled a drive but it doesn't look too bad if you have some help or a nice drive stand. :D

WTRR

Not On The Boat
Reaction score
The only thing I would really caution you on is be careful when removing the bell housing from the gimbal ring. There is a hose that runs from the transom to the bell housing that carries the gear oil from the internal resivoir to the lower unit. The fitting on the transom side is made of plastic and if you break the hose barb off you are fucked...I wound up cutting the hose with a razor knife and replacing the hose. Why they didn't use a brass fitting on this is beyond me. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward...

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I had my gimbal done a few years ago at AME in Glendora, it cost me about $1200. I don't have the space at home or the time to do do it. It worked out pretty good, he did the seasonal service while he had it. I had a price from an authorized Mercruiser facility (Pro Boats in San Dimas) and he wanted over $2500 to do it. Dale uses all Mercruiser parts so I don't know where all the the extra $1300 was going except in the other guys pocket.

Last edited: