WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

replacement Merc cowlings?

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
I need to get a replacement top cowling for my 2004 225 Merc optimax. Any ideas about where to get one and the cost?

edit...I believe it is part #100-881288-a17 spn# 6607

Last edited:

LuvToBoat

Reaction score
Eagle One has a lite weight alien Cowling. If your looking for something Aftermarket??

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
If you have a 2.5 and want to go a little retro and have the cowling kinda match your boat......

http://www.bobsmachine.com/Products/cowling-mlc.cfm

cowl4.jpg

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I thought the opti max had the alternater one them???

I dunno if they all had them. I just know on the Bob's machine site it says for 2.4's and most 2.5's. So, if it has the alternator then he probably needs the alien cowling.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Unfortunately, my cowling is the "alien" cowling. See my sig line picture. It's a 2004 225 Opti. I would just like to get the factory replacement, but I can't locate the part on Merc Marine's site.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Unfortunately, my cowling is the "alien" cowling. See my sig line picture. It's a 2004 225 Opti. I would just like to get the factory replacement, but I can't locate the part on Merc Marine's site.

It actually might be cheaper to get an aftermarket cowling for it actually. The price Merc charges for most of its parts is pretty insane so I wouldnt be surprised. And it would look a little more aggressive too.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
It actually might be cheaper to get an aftermarket cowling for it actually. The price Merc charges for most of its parts is pretty insane so I wouldnt be surprised. And it would look a little more aggressive too.

The cowling Bob makes doesn't look like it would fit my engine. That looks more like a late 90's style. I like it, but I don't think it will fit. If you know of any other guys making good quality and affordable cowlings, please let me know. Thanks for your input FL. :thumbsup

dp85tona

Two strokes is enough
Reaction score
check out eagle one just make sure its the actual size of the original cowl i know there is one company that makes a smaller version of the alien cowl that will not give you clearance for the alternator. the one bobs has will not clear the alternator either your best bet is to call a shop and track it down that way unelss you have someone that knows someone at merc.

or check out scream and fly they have cowls for sale all the time just if you change your style of cowl you will have to change the base pan which means pulling the power head off and new gaskets

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
All I want to do is get a replacement exactly like what I had before. If anyone knows where I can get one, I would appreciate the hookup.

dp85tona

Two strokes is enough
Reaction score
All I want to do is get a replacement exactly like what I had before. If anyone knows where I can get one, I would appreciate the hookup.

call lakeland marine in Lake havasu

if they dont have one they can order you one. tell them dale palmer gave you their number

928 453 1155