WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Replacing swim steps on Ultra custom boat

branier

Reaction score
On our last trip out at Parker, my buddy noticed that the swim steps on his 21' 01 Ultra LX had a good bit of corrosion on the bottoms of them. He was thinking that he might try and replace them himself, and it looks like Eddies Marine may carry his style of swim step off the shelf. I took a quick look before we stored it, and to me it doesn't look like it would be that easy of a replacement job.

Anyone have experience replacing swim steps that can tell me if this fix would be an easier DIY type thing for a fairly handy person? Or should he just take it to a shop? And if it is a shop type fix, then any recommendations on a shop that does this kind of work would be appreciated! Thanks!

B59

Reaction score
I know where you shouldn't take it. Rusty at Ultra, he's a lying lier that lies. And a F...... thief. I may be captain obvious on this opinion, but if feels right to post it.

UltraLucky

Reaction score
On our last trip out at Parker, my buddy noticed that the swim steps on his 21' 01 Ultra LX had a good bit of corrosion on the bottoms of them. He was thinking that he might try and replace them himself, and it looks like Eddies Marine may carry his style of swim step off the shelf. I took a quick look before we stored it, and to me it doesn't look like it would be that easy of a replacement job.

Anyone have experience replacing swim steps that can tell me if this fix would be an easier DIY type thing for a fairly handy person? Or should he just take it to a shop? And if it is a shop type fix, then any recommendations on a shop that does this kind of work would be appreciated! Thanks!

Are the steps corroded or the brackets? Billet Aluminum or Wood on stainless steel brackets? most of the steps will unbolt from the brackets with out much trouble and can be refinished.

comfortably numb

Reaction score
Pic's would help, shouldn't be that hard once he gets the right parts in.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Are the steps corroded or the brackets? Billet Aluminum or Wood on stainless steel brackets? most of the steps will unbolt from the brackets with out much trouble and can be refinished.

This.

The problem you are up against is that the step bases need to be in the exact same spots. If you want to fully replace them take careful measurements.

You may be better off having the originals refinished, or if they are that bad, just recreate the bases or steps with a machinist.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Unbolt everything, sand blast repolish and powder and re seal with 5200 and put it back together.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Don’t use 5200 on that. If something ever happens you’ll fuck up your transom getting it apart. Silicon is more than sufficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backlash

Reaction score
As stated, remove, refinish and reinstall. But dont use 5200 or silicone. Use butyl tape instead . The silicone will dry out and pull away from the gelcoat over time allowing water in the transom. The butyl tape will stay soft, sticky and flexible for years and wont allow any water inside the transom if it's done correctly. The steps arent hard to remove or reinstall either. For Eddie's billet steps, there are two bolts that attach each led on each step. Four bolts per side going through the transom. Easy fix as long as the transom isn't wet.

branier

Reaction score
From what I remember (it was 3 months ago) it was the brackets that had the most corrosion, although the steps had a little too. I remember not seeing any obvious mounting screws on the brackets on the outside of the boat, so I assume the screws to the mounts/brackets are accessible through the engine compartment. It also appeared to me that the brackets almost looked embedded into the boat which is what worried me about trying to remove and/or replace them ourselves.

Of course I don't have a pic of the actual boat steps and my buddy is asleep right now because he works nights. When he gets up later I will hit him up to see if he has any pics. I was trolling around the net trying to find a pic of an Ultra with the same steps, now realizing that steps were not the same on most boats. =/ I figured they would be much more "factory" than what I am seeing!

I did find an Ultra that has appears to have the same steps here:
https://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/12708 if you scroll down to the bottom of the ad the pic of the steps are dead ringers for his, he just has a step assist on the left one. Hard to see the brackets, even in that pic so I apologize but they are exactly the same shape and style.

No, I wouldn't take it to Rusty just from all the dirt posted here which kind of makes me sad. We love the boat, it has always taken care of us and given us many great boating trips so we are partial to Ultras.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Don’t use 5200 on that. If something ever happens you’ll fuck up your transom getting it apart. Silicon is more than sufficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5200 everything!!! :D

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
From what I remember (it was 3 months ago) it was the brackets that had the most corrosion, although the steps had a little too. I remember not seeing any obvious mounting screws on the brackets on the outside of the boat, so I assume the screws to the mounts/brackets are accessible through the engine compartment. It also appeared to me that the brackets almost looked embedded into the boat which is what worried me about trying to remove and/or replace them ourselves.

Of course I don't have a pic of the actual boat steps and my buddy is asleep right now because he works nights. When he gets up later I will hit him up to see if he has any pics. I was trolling around the net trying to find a pic of an Ultra with the same steps, now realizing that steps were not the same on most boats. =/ I figured they would be much more "factory" than what I am seeing!

I did find an Ultra that has appears to have the same steps here:
https://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/12708 if you scroll down to the bottom of the ad the pic of the steps are dead ringers for his, he just has a step assist on the left one. Hard to see the brackets, even in that pic so I apologize but they are exactly the same shape and style.

No, I wouldn't take it to Rusty just from all the dirt posted here which kind of makes me sad. We love the boat, it has always taken care of us and given us many great boating trips so we are partial to Ultras.

I would just strip them, sand blast them and recoat them personally.

RD

sirbob

Reaction score
The ones in this pic look like the ones on my Ultra shown below
SAM_0376.jpg

Those are standard off the shelf brackets and steps - pretty sure they are Dana. As said earlier, it would be a pretty easy job assuming you can get to the bolts inside the engine hatch / transom. You could get new ones or just refinish as has been said.

IMG_0280.JPG

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If you soak them in jasco the powder coat will brush right off with a paint brush. Then sandblast and revolt unless you have one of those deep colors.. then it’s polish and recoat.

That all said sometimes you can find them on the cheap and if you don’t want to deal with it? New ones, but if the holes don’t line up your screwed.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
If you soak them in jasco the powder coat will brush right off with a paint brush. Then sandblast and revolt unless you have one of those deep colors.. then it’s polish and recoat.

Will any of these work?

280x265_solvents-and-thinners_280_265_80.jpg