WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Replica Vehicles / Kit cars...

Tank

Reaction score
The Ford V Ferrari thread had me thinking again - Anyone have a replica car? I know @PlanB has a really nice Cobra. Anyone else have anything?

I plan on eventually buying a 61 - 63 Ferrari 250 Ca. Spyder Replica or a 66-73 Lambo Muira Replica (since I can't afford the 5-8+ mil price tag on a real one). Most likely after I retire. I'll expect to pay 100k for a nice one, even though some of the truly high end replicas are north of that.

What'cha got?

121089339_9e32033521_z.jpg
DSCF3176_edit_2000x850_crop_center.jpg
Ferrari-250-GT-SWB-California-Spyder.jpg
Miura-Replica-A10_e4bbe50e47a1a7b5de93f94f7d58d876.jpg

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
RCR's stuff IMHO is the best of the best. My Dad built an Coyote powered RCR GT-R and the quality is very impressive and the billet suspension components are over the top

Tank

Reaction score
Yeah, both the RCR and FactoryFive stuff is top notch. Unfortunately no shop is doing the Ca. Spyder's any longer. There was a place in L.A. that was doing them about 15 years ago but they went out of biz. And the Miura replicas are hit and miss. No shops that I know of that specialize in those either.

Either way, most likely would have to buy something used not new.

norcalLmo

Reaction score
What every kit car you buy - if it doesn't already have the SB-100 DO YOUR HOMEWORK on registering it. Factory Five's Forum has alot of good details on the SB-100 process - The certs are available - BARR is really tracking down on "professionally built" kit cars being sold to 'Joe Public' -

rvrrun

Reaction score
What constitutes a replica. My ‘32 has a gennie body, hood and a few other pieces. The serial/vin is from ‘32 and original to the car, but the original chassis (which now lives under Richards phaeton) is where that number was stamped. All other parts on my car are from 2015 with exception of the 1965 engine block and crank.

I never knew they made a Miura replica. If I ever have a garage big enough for all of the toys we want, that and a Superformance GT 40 are on the list.

Tank

Reaction score
What every kit car you buy - if it doesn't already have the SB-100 DO YOUR HOMEWORK on registering it. Factory Five's Forum has alot of good details on the SB-100 process - The certs are available - BARR is really tracking down on "professionally built" kit cars being sold to 'Joe Public' -
Yeah, you definitely need to be wary of registering these in Ca. especially.

Tank

Reaction score
What constitutes a replica. My ‘32 has a gennie body, hood and a few other pieces. The serial/vin is from ‘32 and original to the car, but the original chassis (which now lives under Richards phaeton) is where that number was stamped. All other parts on my car are from 2015 with exception of the 1965 engine block and crank.

I never knew they made a Miura replica. If I ever have a garage big enough for all of the toys we want, that and a Superformance GT 40 are on the list.

I'm not really talking a vehicle like your 32. I don't consider that a replica or kit. That's an actual car that has just been rebuilt on top. That would be simliar to getting a destroyed frame of a 250 Ferrari and rebuilding the shell. It's still a real 250 Ferrari in my opinon. Just like your 32 is still a real 32 even if it has a fiberglass shell or whatever else. I'm talking an actual replica. Using a donor vehicle or even better starting from scratch.

rvrrun

Reaction score
I'm not really talking a vehicle like your 32. I don't consider that a replica or kit. That's an actual car that has just been rebuilt on top. That would be simliar to getting a destroyed frame of a 250 Ferrari and rebuilding the shell. It's still a real 250 Ferrari in my opinon. Just like your 32 is still a real 32 even if it has a fiberglass shell or whatever else. I'm talking an actual replica. Using a donor vehicle or even better starting from scratch.
I’d put the ones with a fiberglass body solidly in the kit car realm, just like a cobra with a glass body. My FIL has a ‘31 A with one of the nicest glass bodies I’ve seen. It’s on an original chassis with XKE front and rear and the body has external hinges, opening windshield and rain gutters. It has ‘31 registration but it’s still a kit car (and the value reflects that). There’s a gray area in there.

oldschool

Reaction score
I’d put the ones with a fiberglass body solidly in the kit car realm, just like a cobra with a glass body. My FIL has a ‘31 A with one of the nicest glass bodies I’ve seen. It’s on an original chassis with XKE front and rear and the body has external hinges, opening windshield and rain gutters. It has ‘31 registration but it’s still a kit car (and the value reflects that). There’s a gray area in there.

or is it grey?

Tank

Reaction score
I get that. Just personally, if it's an original frame built up, I'd consider it not a kit car but a refurbished original or resto-mod even. Now if it's just the Vin tags from an orignal car stamped onto a whole new frame, etc. then no, that's a kit / replica. I agree, gray area and yes, fiberglass shells are obviously not going to get the money that original steel bodies demand.

Tank

Reaction score
Grey and Gray mean the same thing. Neither is wrong. However, Grey is used primarily in Europe while Gray is used primarily in the US.

El Rojo

Reaction score
I've always had a soft spot for Mcburnie's, even though I've heard they're POS....
h97pdzlkwswb2uoekojm.jpg

outboard_256

Reaction score
I don't think I would ever get one. I don't have anything against them but rather own the real thing and many other real cars on my list for the price of a good replica car. Only way I would own a replica is if I owned the original but didn't want to drive it so I drive the replica. Since I will never be able to afford the originals its a moot point.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Tank,

IMO you would be better served finding someone else's Kit Miura or 250 already done, most likely would have the bugs worked out etc.

There are builders out there who can reconstruct anything you want...you just need to have the budget for it...;)

If you are taking in your retirement era, why not just build it yourself? The information is readily available to get the dimensions of the body mounts.

Build or at least design your own chassis/suspension/power train and then find the body pieces.

Here's an article that mentions one of the several companies that provides body/shell pieces in fiberglass for a Lambo Miura: https://www.rcnmag.com/garage/ferocious-bull

Reactions: TPC

Tank

Reaction score
I've always had a soft spot for Mcburnie's, even though I've heard they're POS....
h97pdzlkwswb2uoekojm.jpg

My buddy that won the lotto and had every exotic car at the time owned one of those. Don't know if it was a Mcburnies but it was pretty nice. Fun driver. Think it was on a Vette chasis with Vette motor.

Tank

Reaction score
Tank,

IMO you would be better served finding someone else's Kit Miura or 250 already done, most likely would have the bugs worked out etc.

There are builders out there who can reconstruct anything you want...you just need to have the budget for it...;)

If you are taking in your retirement era, why not just build it yourself? The information is readily available to get the dimensions of the body mounts.

Build or at least design your own chassis/suspension/power train and then find the body pieces.

Here's an article that mentions one of the several companies that provides body/shell pieces in fiberglass for a Lambo Miura: https://www.rcnmag.com/garage/ferocious-bull

I LOVE the idea of doing it myself. However, I know myself and know I don't have the patience and tend to rush things and just "good enough" it or "make it work" so it'll come out half assed. Just an honest assessment of my hands-on skill. LOL

First choice would definitely be to find one done for sure.

Funny this article was just published today on the auction of one of the original Ferris Bueller 250s. Funny thing is, I remember when the car they're refering to was on the market about 10 years ago for 100k and I was like, "no fuckin' way, waaaaaay to much for a replica". Guess I called that one wrong.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/cla...ct-less-than-a-real-one/ar-BBZgGni?li=BBnbfcL

In the classic 1980s movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off, young protagonist Ferris recommends picking up a Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder—if you have the means, of course—because "It is so choice." While you might not want to take the advice of a Ferrari-stealing, joyriding truant for much else, Bueller was right on this one point, at least. The genuine article, meaning a real 250 GT California, is a drop-dead classic worth millions of dollars. This 1985 Modena Spyder California, better known to the world as one of the three Ferrari replicas used in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, is nearly as good thanks to its movie fame and sold for a more attainable $396,000 at the 2020 Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale auction on Saturday.

BBZgAl8.img
© Automobile Magazine Staff
As the story tends to go, the movie's director John Hughes wanted to use a Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder as the star car of his new movie. Only problem was, a genuine Ferrari was too expensive even back then. Factor in the unkind treatment the car would receive in the film, from jumps to being launched backwards out of a suburban Chicago home into a ravine, and it's easy to see why a replica was used instead.

Research the latest from Ferrari on MSN Autos | Compare prices on Ferrari models near you

Hughes discovered Modena Design, a company founded in 1980s California, that was seeking to produce replicas of the fabled car (essentially a drop-top version of the 250 GT "Tour de France," one of which we drove. Three cars were commissioned for the movie, each in various states of completion. Only one of them was returned to Modena Design, where movie damage was repaired and the car was resold several times, most recently to an American at a 2010 Bonhams auction in England for the equivalent of roughly $100,000. Today, that car is listed with the National Historic Vehicle Registry. But the car that sold at Barrett-Jackson isn't that car.

BBZgEtI.img
© Automobile Magazine Staff
Instead, this is one of the two chassis that led more mysterious lives after Ferris Buellerwrapped production. While the third car, chassis 003, was unsold at Mecum's 2019 Monterey auction with a high bid of $225,000, this car, chassis 001, recently received a full restoration by Modena Design co-founder Neil Glassmoyer. Various mechanical components were updated and the car's cosmetics were refurbished to the condition you see here. Powered by a 7.0-liter Chevy V-8 engine with a five-speed manual transmission and riding on chrome 16-inch wire spoke wheels and a coil-over suspension, we're guessing this non-Italian Ferrari is still plenty of fun to drive. Various memorabilia was included in the sale alongside the car, including a signed certificate of authenticity from Modena Design.

Enthusiastic bidding at Barrett-Jackson resulted in a final price of $396,000 with the buyer's premium included. While it is unclear exactly which scenes chassis 001 appeared in for in the film, there's no denying its place in history as a movie icon and an expensive one at that.

Last edited:

530RL

Reaction score
What the hell is that?

It was at the Quail this year and was quite a chuckle.

Looked like it was on a Fiero chassis, with some Nissan wheels and about 2,000 bucks of accessories and fiberglass out of a JC Whitney catalog.

Pretty funny.

Most of the knock off Ferrari stuff is no longer made as Ferrari really protects their branding. There were 3 "modenas" made which were the 250 cal spider knock offs. The maker of knock off Daytona spiders on C3 corvettes like El Rojo posted got sued also.

There are some nice "recreations" out there that were built on similar donor chassis that can pull some money that were not built for resale and commercial purposes but for projects. But they are not really kit cars but recreations where the builder probably gets pennies on the dollar back.

Tank

Reaction score
I don't think I would ever get one. I don't have anything against them but rather own the real thing and many other real cars on my list for the price of a good replica car. Only way I would own a replica is if I owned the original but didn't want to drive it so I drive the replica. Since I will never be able to afford the originals its a moot point.
I get that. And I would agree for nearly 99% of the cars out there. Except for examples like the 250 Ca Spyder and the Miura. To me, the early 60's Ferrari 250 Spyder and the late 60's Lamborghini Miura are two of the most beautiful cars ever created. I'd like to look at one in my garage every day. :D They are SO astronomically priced that unless the lotto comes through, I'll never be able to pay 8 plus million for a car. So, next option....

spectras only

Reaction score
Another of my favourite sleeper is the Ultima GTR. Friend had one over ten years ago with 383 troker Chevy he sold to buy a 308 Ferrari. Those reported 0-100-0 in 10 second.

Guy I knew in Vancouver had one built like this one.He autocrossed it for a couple of years befor selling it for 90K cdn.

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The Ford V Ferrari thread had me thinking again - Anyone have a replica car? I know @PlanB has a really nice Cobra. Anyone else have anything?

I plan on eventually buying a 61 - 63 Ferrari 250 Ca. Spyder Replica or a 66-73 Lambo Muira Replica (since I can't afford the 5-8+ mil price tag on a real one). Most likely after I retire. I'll expect to pay 100k for a nice one, even though some of the truly high end replicas are north of that.

What'cha got?

View attachment 838595 View attachment 838596 View attachment 838597 View attachment 838598

I don't have one, but I service a few different models. Get my number from Jerry and give me a call. I can probably answer a few questions.

spectras only

Reaction score
In the US, you have to have replicas registered SB100. My friend with the only one Noble M400 in Canada, could not set up a dealer application. He had to get his car dismantled in the US to bring it to Canada and register it as U-built here.I think governments on both sides of the border will over reach eventually and stop allowing replicas on public roads.:rolleyes:
Viper%20Noble%20head%20to%20head

Ouderkirk

Reaction score

What'cha got?]

I would suggest a Pantera. A hot vehicle that can be had for a reasonable $$$ and you can still work on it.

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
Well I just wasted 30 minutes on eBay. Thanks.

I absolutely want a Daytona and a Cobra. Anyone find parking as their largest issue?

Tank

Reaction score
I would suggest a Pantera. A hot vehicle that can be had for a reasonable $$$ and you can still work on it.

I do like Panteras. Can’t believe how much they’ve gone up in price over the past 15 years. There’s some nice updated models out there.

but I’m not looking for for just something to buy. I’ll
Be buying a 250 ca spider or a Miura when the time comes. Whichever comes up first when I’m ready will be the one I buy.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
@Tank , Being located where you are, is both good and bad. State DOT and CARB can make some things a bit difficult. The good part is you live in a state with a massive population, good weather and many individuals moving up and down the ladder of cars. A safer bet would be finding either an unfinished project, or a completed one, that has already been registered. You can save a lot of time and money by swapping interior or changing the color, as opposed to a ground-up build by you or a shop.

Last week I saw a repro bodied Camaro roll across the block at 200k. It was titled as a "Special Construction". People buy or build what they want, and it's good to see them doing it;)

rvrrun

Reaction score
CCAA0C5E-0F60-43C9-B3FD-5FA2392B570E.jpeg
9AD8C554-A119-4ACF-B5F9-4EA8C2CE891B.jpeg
We don’t get many kit cars in the shop, but this one was ok. The door hinges were sloppy, it had a straight front axle and parallel leafs, and was powered by an 8 cylinder BMW if I remember correctly. It had more than enough power but stopped and handled like crap. It was no fun to drive but looked good and was much cheaper than the original.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
View attachment 838838 View attachment 838839 We don’t get many kit cars in the shop, but this one was ok. The door hinges were sloppy, it had a straight front axle and parallel leafs, and was powered by an 8 cylinder BMW if I remember correctly. It had more than enough power but stopped and handled like crap. It was no fun to drive but looked good and was much cheaper than the original.
Wasn't the original a riveted magnesium body, or something to that effect?

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Love it when the guy asks....Seriously?
And the the driver....I mean it identifies as an Enzo. Classic!!!

nameisbond

Reaction score
In the US, you have to have replicas registered SB100. My friend with the only one Noble M400 in Canada, could not set up a dealer application. He had to get his car dismantled in the US to bring it to Canada and register it as U-built here.I think governments on both sides of the border will over reach eventually and stop allowing replicas on public roads.:rolleyes:
Viper%20Noble%20head%20to%20head

That picture looks like it was taken in Abbotsford. I've eaten at all three of the restaurants pictured...…………………

If I was to buy a replica, it would be one of these: https://www.bobpetersenengineering.co.uk/boat-tail

PlanB

Reaction score
7CC1040F-415A-4E2F-ABA0-3FEC35339799.jpeg
I don’t know a lot about other replicas / kits other than Cobras, GT-40’s, and Coupes. Tank, you should go to Hillbank in Irvine. Lance is the owner and also Owns Superformance. He has a lot of nice inventory and can also give you info on other replicas out there . Super cool guy.

When I bought our Cobra it was a lot like ordering a custom boat. You can either pick a car in stock or you can order one. Pick your car, options, color and power. The car comes complete minus motor and transmission for legal reasons.

There is a shop near Hillbank that does the power installs. Lance is a Roush dealer, so a lot of the cars go with Roush power. They will do whatever you want though.

SB100 has already been talked about. They offer 500 permits a year, and they used to sell out day one. With the good economy I would think they still go quick. You have to have all your paperwork lined up and ready to go on January 2nd for your trip to the DMV. It’s good though because you are smog exempt once you get it. Run whatever crazy power you want.

Our car has been a lot of fun. The motor is in a few pieces right now getting all the aluminum re-polished.

PlanB

Reaction score
2B8EE286-E65B-4F7C-A923-5F00EF19E6D3.jpeg
9E4CED16-D846-4E4A-A7AF-409BB5B63CB4.jpeg
7B100E3B-1E66-4160-8AEC-D64BD9C8E778.jpeg
4C1E3CFA-9146-45DC-BE7E-C6C7724B8A0F.jpeg
Some pics of an original Cobra that’s at the same shop mine is at right now. Original owner car. The guy bought it new for 7k. Worth north of a million now.

Pics taken of it on display at the SD auto show.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
There is a D-Type posted up above, and IMHO, they are the most beautiful cars ever made...

But if I were to do a Kit (and I might), it would be a Lotus 7/ CATERHAM variant. The WCM s2k version is exciting, but bike engined and stock looking would be more likely. The MEV Atomic is really an exciting car too!

Last edited:

spectras only

Reaction score
^^^
Have two friends, one with a original 68 Lotus 7, Cortina engine and the other is a Caterham with 2000 Toyota twin cam. Needless to say, only the Hayabusa engined Lotus 7 would beat almost anything on the track. ;):)
The Hayabusa engined Radicals on our track are the speed demons.