WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Reset: Pet Medical Insurance. Any takes?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Wife is reading up on it and Nationwide gets all Zeros.
Anyone have any takes?

We got the impression the Vet is more interest in the Juice they get on the policy when they sell it.
Any good experiences or is it a waste of money?

Seems like none cover normal stuff like Hip Dysplasia at an affordable rate.

Last edited:

Universal Elements

Reaction score
We have Healthy Paws. Had it for previous dogs and present new. Had/have no problems. Don’t know about Hip Dysplasia coverage.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Reactions: TPC

Singleton

Reaction score
Good for general stuff
Once you get above the routine items, usually it is not covered

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
We have Trupanion, on our dogs.

Cover's 90% of all: Diagnostic tests, Surgeries, Vet stays, and Medications.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Been to a vet lately? $100 is peanuts compared to what is charged. We pay $23 or $27 a month.
14 month old puppy. $1200 year, probably set in in 8 years from now,, not really worth it.
Though, a 6 day stay for the last cat was 5 figures we doubt any insurance would have picked up that tab on a 12 year old shop worn cat. Might be worth it for some.

Seems kinda like paying for treatment in advance. Maybe a push or damn near close.

Last edited:

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Petplan saved us over $8K when we were losing our golden to cancer. I'll never not have pet insurance....

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
14 month old puppy. $1200 year, probably set in in 8 years from now,, not really worth it.
Though, a 6 day stay for the last cat was 5 figures we doubt any insurance would have picked up that tab on a 12 year old shop worn cat. Might be worth it for some.

Seems kinda like paying for treatment in advance. Maybe a push or damn near close.
This has been my experience over eight dogs in the last 40 years two of which have had serious health issues. In my case I think it has all equaled out in the end. If you’re unlucky and have a string of chronically ill dogs it might be worth it if coverage is good.
I choose to pay as you go.

ridebig

Reaction score
My son has nationwide. Happy so far. I will be looking with the baby coming. Good information!

Socalx09

Reaction score
The dogs have FIGO. Easy app too. Once the dog is over 7, the rate goes up. Still worth it. Last year, one of the dogs had pancreatitis, and it was up to 3k in bills. He likes to get into things and cause trouble so his insurance has paid for itself.

River Runnin

Reaction score
We saved $150 bucks for 2 dogs just by using a different Zip code than the CA one!

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
We have Healthy Paws. Had it for previous dogs and present new. Had/have no problems. Don’t know about Hip Dysplasia coverage.
I have Healthy Paws as well and have used it twice. Very easy and fast to get a reimbursement. 2 dogs at 90% is $135/mo. right now. It’s probably better to self insure from the get go but I’m not that disciplined. I like the security this provides, and the ability to go all out should something happen.

Gelcoater

Reaction score

Couple years ago we had Rocky at the vet for a possible intestinal blockage.
An x Ray
BIPS administered, then another x Ray a couple days later. Drugs, after hours visit upcharge, etc, was a $1,200 deal.
And that was no surgery.
A Doberman gal I know had a female that ate a stocking. Was a $2,400 deal out the door plus post surgery follow ups. Adds up quick.

HBCraig

Reaction score
TPC
I had a bad scare recently with our golden. Got super bad pneumonia and we damn near lost him. Spent 2 days in the hospital and the whole thing was just under 6K. If it was something we couldn't cure then I would have put him down but not for an illness that has a cure.

Long winded sorry..... we then looked at insurance but only briefly because it was about $150-$175 per month For a 10 year old golden, no way. The dollars didnt work

JM21

Reaction score
We use pets best insurance. You can cater a plan to fit your budget/coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MissHavasuCig

Reaction score
Highly recommend having pet insurance! It takes away that OMG shock when you get hit with a nasty, always unforeseen, bill for your fur baby.

We’ve had 6 dogs and 2 cats over the years and vet bills are no joke. It’s always something. We’ve had pet insurance for about 15 years and they’ve paid out more than we’ve paid them. Win!!

I suggest getting a good policy with a high deductible if you want to keep your costs down. You can usually adjust the deductible annually, but once the pet has any medical issues you won’t want to change plans because another plan won’t cover pre-existing problems.

We currently have Trupanion. Covers everything except the vet evaluation and your deductible, paid back at 90% with no payout limit! Pets Best was good too... but they had payout limits. Both good companies - need to see what plan works best for you...

mobldj

Reaction score
I should have said affordable.
$100 a month. Not really worth it.
year ago coming home from parker dog fell in backseat,caught his leg just perfect and broke it.7000 vet bill .dog insurance paid half.worth it !
jax broken leg.jpg

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Good takes thanks for the tips.

boater250s

Reaction score
If you only have one dog, it may be worth it. But what happens when you have two, three even four dogs? It can get quite costly. For every dog that has a very expensive vet procedure, I'd say there are 9 dogs that don't. Just my opinion.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Wife has a few cats.
We used to have pet insurance, but got tired of them denying claims.

So we did a pivot and upped the quality of their food.

Cats no longer get sick.
Wife is happy [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mobldj

Reaction score
mine is 80 bucks for 3 dogs.500 deductable