WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Residential garage door opener

SoCalDave

Reaction score
What's the go to manufacturer/model from the big box stores, Genie, Chamberlain?
Haven't purchased one in about 15 years and need some inmate advice. Nothing to fancy either...

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Question for the AZ residents / contractors....do the garage door openers sold and installed in AZ need to have a battery backup like the ones for CA or is it only the CA residents that are too stupid to pull the red release rope and open their garage door?

TrollerDave

Reaction score
Question for the AZ residents / contractors....do the garage door openers sold and installed in AZ need to have a battery backup like the ones for CA or is it only the CA residents that are too stupid to pull the red release rope and open their garage door?
I thought those were the ones we could NOT have because of the prop 65 or whatever it is HAZMAT BS. There are some that can’t be sold in or shipped to CA because of it.

Edit: I had it wrong. Didn’t read enough into it when trying to buy my opener. Now it makes sense. 🤪

Last edited:

TrollerDave

Reaction score
What's the go to manufacturer/model from the big box stores, Genie, Chamberlain?
Haven't purchased one in about 15 years and need some inmate advice. Nothing to fancy either...
I got a Chamberlain belt driven about 2 years ago. Very quiet and pretty easy to install. Pretty simple, no smart controls. But it does have the time and temp on the controller.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

No other states do not need a battery.

I just went through this last summer.. Chamberlain, Liftmaster are the same company.

I got a Chamberlain wall mounted unit. I like it a lot. I has the non battery version on order on LHC... it was taking forever to ship so I just spent the extra $50 on the battery backup unit. it was $480. A standard style unit is between $175 and $400

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

My experience was that there are not many in stock. The Ryobi garage opener is cool because you can use a 18V drill battery as the battery backup for your garage... But that is if you have Ryobi 18V tools.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I thought those were the ones we could NOT have because of the prop 65 or whatever it is HAZMAT BS. There are some that can’t be sold in or shipped to CA because of it.

Power outages due to the fires a few years back and since the little button didn't make the door go up, people had no idea what to do and couldn't evacuate.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Yeah all openers sold in Ca have to have battery backup. Became mandatory in 2019 due to the fires and people couldn't think for themselves to pull the cord.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Yeah all openers sold in Ca have to have battery backup. Became mandatory in 2019 due to the fires and people couldn't think for themselves to pull the cord.

@squeezer : Here's another example of a liberal law to protect the stupid that costs everyone else another $50 and doesn't allow me the freedom to buy a garage door opener without a backup battery...that I'll have to replace every 5 years or less as the batteries fail.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Power outages due to the fires a few years back and since the little button didn't make the door go up, people had no idea what to do and couldn't evacuate.

I will say with the wall mount, the battery backup is a good idea. It is a 2 person job to unlock the wall mounted motor and lift the garage.. And if the person does not pull hard enough on the unlock lever, you will put slack in the the cables on the garage, the cables will move off the roller and the door will seize up completely. Then you will have to unhook the cables and manually rewind them to restore garage door functionality.

It happened to me when I was installing mine. The actual wall mount opener install was very simple. I just had to add another wall plug near the opener.

With a standard opener, completely a non issue.

Icky

Reaction score
I have the lift master wall mounted unit with the battery back up. Pretty simple to install, they have some measurements on their website to check before you order one.

It cleaned up my ceiling so I could put more shit up there 😁

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I have the lift master wall mounted unit with the battery back up. Pretty simple to install, they have some measurements on their website to check before you order one.

It cleaned up my ceiling so I could put more shit up there 😁

This. The pre-install checklist is key to see if a wall mount will work for you.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Actually one of the reasons for the bill was a older lady living alone during the fire pulled the cord but wasn't strong enough to open the door. But most like to say there too stupid to pull the cord. :rolleyes:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Actually one of the reasons for the bill was a older lady living alone during the fire pulled the cord but wasn't strong enough to open the door. But most like to say there too stupid to pull the cord. :rolleyes:

It is tragic but it is the same rationale as the Covid response.

The same thing will happen when the battery dies in a year or two and won't open the door in a power outage.

Drive the car through the garage, go outside and get help. There are options besides dying in your garage.

lbhsbz

Reaction score

Too stupid to drive the car through the garage door to escape if her life was in danger

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Too stupid to drive the car through the garage door to escape if her life was in danger
How do you know she owned a car. And if so maybe it was parked outside...lol 🤣

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

The same thing will happen when the battery dies in a year or two and won't open the door in a power outage.

Drive the car through the garage, go outside and get help. There are options besides dying in your garage.
I get it. I have newer openers, but older doors. Want to upgrade the doors but don't want to pay $1600.00 for 2 new openers when mine work fine.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Well, that State is full of liberals=commies!! :D

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I get it. I have newer openers, but older doors. Want to upgrade the doors but don't want to pay for new openers that work fine.

I am assuming you are speaking of CA? Although I can't see very many vendors installing a new door and NOT installing a new opener regardless of the state.

My new one does have an app to open it from your phone, which is pretty cool. I don't have to leave an opener out in my truck, and can get alerts if it opens or closes, etc.

In Havasu I have an older opener but installed a seperate WIFI switch for it so I can open it via a different home automation app.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score

That would never occur to a liberal!!!

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
We purchased 2 new openers earlier this year...for some reason I can’t recall the brand.

Ours are linked to the myQ app, so I can open and close the doors from my phone if I need to. There is also a timer you can set so it will automatically close after how ever many minutes you set it to. If you want to leave your door open permanently, there is a hold button you can press and the door won’t close until you hit the button again.

I also get a pop up on my phone every time it opens or closes. Could have used all of these a lot more when the girls were in high school. Lol

edit
It is a Liftmaster and is way quieter than the 25 year old openers we had. Dogs don’t even hear the door open any longer.

Last edited:

Hypnautic

Reaction score
LiftMaster Jackshaft openers.
Had mine for almost 13 years. No issues,

240Hallett

Reaction score
I’ve had good luck with the genie “quiet” belt drives. Along with the Aladdin app for one of them.
6ADAD7E1-28E9-477F-8A21-2FFC33FABAA5.png

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I am assuming you are speaking of CA? Although I can't see very many vendors installing a new door and NOT installing a new opener regardless of the state.

My new one does have an app to open it from your phone, which is pretty cool. I don't have to leave an opener out in my truck, and can get alerts if it opens or closes, etc.

In Havasu I have an older opener but installed a seperate WIFI switch for it so I can open it via a different home automation app.
Yes CA. double door and a single door.

squeezer

Reaction score
@squeezer : Here's another example of a liberal law to protect the stupid that costs everyone else another $50 and doesn't allow me the freedom to buy a garage door opener without a backup battery...that I'll have to replace every 5 years or less as the batteries fail.

Well thats it then.... Thats the last straw... I cant imagine the nerve of having to spend an extra 50 bucks every single time I want to buy a new garage door opener. Just to same some old womans life.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Well thats it then.... Thats the last straw... I cant imagine the nerve of having to spend an extra 50 bucks every single time I want to buy a new garage door opener. Just to same some old womans life.
death by 1000 cuts

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
My dad has one of like the ones that mount on the wall. Next to the door. We built a storage rack where the standard opener would mount. Sorry I don't know what brand he had.

squeezer

Reaction score
death by 1000 cuts

Doing a quick bit of math factoring how many openers are in our property portfolio and the length of ownership of the same, etc etc. I have roughly 300 years of garage door opener experience... Have replaced exactly zero openers over those years. So your "Death by 1000 cuts" thing just doesnt cut it in real life.

Reaction score
The Gennie product has become very poor quality and not installer friendly. Chamberlin makes a very good opener and is the best you will find at the box stores. Very installer friendly as well. Good luck.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
My dad has one of like the ones that mount on the wall. Next to the door. We built a storage rack where the standard opener would mount. Sorry I don't know what brand he had.
More than likely a Liftmaster but I don't want to spend 4-5 benji's on one.

Liftmaster_8500_Elite_Series_MyQ_Garage_Door_Opener__01606.1577212880.500.750.jpg

boatpi

Reaction score
I have the LiftMaster chamberlain belt drive on seven different houses not one failure the new ones have battery back up and even one link to your Wi-Fi so you can open and close the garage door from a far.

Magnuman

Reaction score
I recently istalled Chamberlain. Really like it and it has lots of remote options.
The battery backup was needed for me as I can't access the garage from my house and the only way into the garage is through the auto garage door.
Garage is built into a hillside.
You can hardly hear it open. My wife cant hear me sneak out.:)

ghansen

Reaction score
Pull the cord and ask your wife or one of your kids to open the door. $50 seems pretty reasonable.

Reaction score
Very true. If the door isn't installed correctly or has the wrong springs on it I can see this happening and the door would be very difficult to open for an older person by hand. One thing that most people don't know is that these new openers built by Chamberlin which also includes the Lift-masters, are now "smart". If the door is not working correctly and is over working the opener while going up or down, the opener will shut itself down.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Just put in one with WiFi and battery backup
Chamberlain
Works great
FYI you don’t have to put in the battery for it to work

I like being able to use my phone to open the door

also nice when I want to check and see if I forgot to close it

shock22

Reaction score
Chamberlin motion sensor on lights deadbolt for door

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I have the Liftmaster wall mount on my shop. So quiet. It auto locks too. I really like it.

Taboma

Reaction score
Can't pull the cord until I cut off the tyewraps I put on after watching the video of guys popping the latches from the outside using a coat hanger. 😁

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Can't pull the cord until I cut off the tyewraps I put on after watching the video of guys popping the latches from the outside using a coat hanger. 😁
Hell. Some people pack their garages so full of crap that can't even get to the cord. o_O

yz450mm

Reaction score
A garage door that is properly adjusted should be almost weightless ("balanced"), so once you disconnect the opener you should be able to move the garage door up or down with minimal effort. The opener is not lifting or lowering the door at its true weight, it's using the pre-loaded Springs to move it up and down the track via the attached cables.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Wall mounted unit the way to go .
No motor in middle hanging down .

Boat 405

Reaction score
Just installed a wall mount in May. Works flawless. Can open door with one hand after pulling cord. No problem.