WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Residential standing seem metal roofing

Kbach

Reaction score
Anybody ever install any metal roofing? Any contractors on here that do it or have done it?

I'm in a spot where the old asphalt shingle roof on our house has served its purpose so it's time to start looking for a new roof. The winds this week left what seems like more shingles on the lawn and driveway then the roof 😡

I'm partial to the look of standing seem metal roofing and think it could look good on our house style. It seems like it is something that is becoming more common on residential structures. I've even thought about buying the materials and doing it myself. I work with sheet metal fabrication almost daily but on cars, off-road stuff, etc so know my way around sheet materials.

Am I crazy for thinking this is something I could do myself? Smart 🤣? What say the RDP experts?

scottchbrite

Reaction score
My house has it. The biggest issue we had was finding a roofer that would do it. It is expensive. I wouldnt say it’s “hard” to do. I would say it depends on roof pitch, hips/valleys, size, etc.
Then there’s the cleaning of the roof because it’s black, but that’s not what you’re asking!

Attachments

• D66B8082-8A39-45AA-AA58-E06EB4099591.png
    D66B8082-8A39-45AA-AA58-E06EB4099591.png
    1 MB · Views: 259

4Waters

Reaction score
Anybody ever install any metal roofing? Any contractors on here that do it or have done it?

I'm in a spot where the old asphalt shingle roof on our house has served its purpose so it's time to start looking for a new roof. The winds this week left what seems like more shingles on the lawn and driveway then the roof 😡

I'm partial to the look of standing seem metal roofing and think it could look good on our house style. It seems like it is something that is becoming more common on residential structures. I've even thought about buying the materials and doing it myself. I work with sheet metal fabrication almost daily but on cars, off-road stuff, etc so know my way around sheet materials.

Am I crazy for thinking this is something I could do myself? Smart 🤣? What say the RDP experts?
Not bashing metal roofs because I would like one on my house but they are loud when it rains. That's the only complaint my in-laws have about the roof on their house, it hailed today at their house and they said they thought the house was coming down. LOL.

scottchbrite

Reaction score
Not bashing metal roofs because I would like one on my house but they are loud when it rains. That's the only complaint my in-laws have about the roof on their house, it hailed today at their house and they said they thought the house was coming down. LOL.
Not the case for me. I’m not sure if it is all the added insulation, the attic size and the ceiling height, but my house is really quiet (<2 years old). I hear the rain gutters outside my bedroom window more than anything.

cakemoto

Reaction score
I have done a copper garage roof. Was about 4 years ago

stingray11

Reaction score
We just had standing seam done on our house.We went with a light color to reflect the sun because we have a 3rd floor bed room. The nice thing about it is it will last 50 years or more and requires no maintance. The corrugated metal roof is nice And less expensive but requires maintenance every several years to keep the screws or nails tight so they don't leak.

Attachments

• 20200926_131323.jpg
    20200926_131323.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 171

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score

No Problem in Arizona, It Never Rains. 😠

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
We just had standing seam done on our house.We went with a light color to reflect the sun because we have a 3rd floor bed room. The nice thing about it is it will last 50 years or more and requires no maintance. The corrugated metal roof is nice And less expensive but requires maintenance every several years to keep the screws or nails tight so they don't leak.
What are those little flaps for? Hold back snow?

scottchbrite

Reaction score
Why is this stuff so expensive?
The only thing I could figure was that there wasnt much in the way of competition In SoCal. We could only find 2 companies that would do it, that were experienced. A couple said they “could” do it but not much in the way of actual experience.

BajaMike

Reaction score

I like the idea of 50 year life and no maintenance.

BajaMike

Reaction score

Here’s some manufactures on Facebook. Most are East coast or mid-west but they advertise local installers.

9B2B14A6-3923-42ED-A742-17E7A5CD069D.jpeg

rrrr

Reaction score

Standing seam metal roofs are fairly common around here, particularly in the hill country around Austin and San Antonio. When combined with natural Texas limestone, the result is really nice.

ext1.jpg

Ranch-Style-Home-Furman-Keil-Architects-01-1-Kindesign.jpg

Kbach

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies and info.

I'm not to worried about the noise since it is SoCal and only rains once every few years 😂 Plus I like the sound of rain.

As far as cost, I'm thinking it's because there's only a few peeps doing it so not a lot of competition. I have some emails out to a few direct to consumer manufacturers to see what the actual material costs are. Seems like it shouldn't be crazy expensive but I guess I'll find out sooner or later.

I'm not sure why it hasn't really caught on out here in SoCal much. I really like the look of it and the lifespan of it is a definite plus.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies and info.

I'm not to worried about the noise since it is SoCal and only rains once every few years 😂 Plus I like the sound of rain.

As far as cost, I'm thinking it's because there's only a few peeps doing it so not a lot of competition. I have some emails out to a few direct to consumer manufacturers to see what the actual material costs are. Seems like it shouldn't be crazy expensive but I guess I'll find out sooner or later.

I'm not sure why it hasn't really caught on out here in SoCal much. I really like the look of it and the lifespan of it is a definite plus.

PLUS!!, Zero fire threat!

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

I live in an area that we get HARD rain... I have a metal standing seam roof... Our house is also spray foam. It's gotta be raining very very heavy to hear it..and even that is faint.. I sleep through thunderstorms etc.

OP its more expensive but worth it.. get silver or a color that reflects heat.

4Waters

Reaction score
I live in an area that we get HARD rain... I have a metal standing seam roof... Our house is also spray foam. It's gotta be raining very very heavy to hear it..and even that is faint.. I sleep through thunderstorms etc.

OP its more expensive but worth it.. get silver or a color that reflects heat.
Their house is insulated very well but with standard fiberglass insulation

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
3x the cost of a concrete tile roof....

Total material costs are more.... more labor intensive....

Min cost 15.00 per foot. .

Do NOT SKIMP on the underlayment.... min. Carlisle 300 HP WIP....

I need to go into the metal roofing business where you are... We broker a lot of them for clients on top of us having one. I've never paid $15... Where is that at?

It's less work than a tile roof...by far. One of the guys I've used previously shows up with a helper, but does 90% of the job by himself.

Last edited:

scottchbrite

Reaction score
I need to go into the metal roofing business where you are... We broker a lot of them for clients on top of us having one. I've never paid $15... Where is that at?

It's less work than a tile roof...by far. One of the guys I've used previously shows up with a helper, but does 90% of the job by himself.
SoCal for me and rmarion is close on the 3x tile here. Mine was about 2.5x. I was floored when I found out The prices. I tried to change my wifes mind but she was all in on it. Worse part was- the roof was my idea.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
SoCal for me and rmarion is close on the 3x tile here. Mine was about 2.5x. I was floored when I found out The prices. I tried to change my wifes mind but she was all in on it. Worse part was- the roof was my idea.

Thats just crazy, I would have never expected that. Metal roofs are all over here (TX), we get a ton of hail so it's cheaper on insurance than asphalt. Honestly after this house, I'll never have a house that isn't foam with a metal roof. My utilities are dirt cheap bc of it, hell the plug in car is most of the bill!

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score

Good Luck

Hear ya go...

You can start here...LOL

BTW..Material is 4.00 - 5.00 per foot... before tax..

there's also something called, O/P, G/L, Umbrella, Smog insurances just to name a few.... not even talking about w/c, vehicle, ... owning seamers, for over 100 different panels,... add labor, ..

Were in So-Cal...Come in down...

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
Just hire someone contractor out a state.... I heard they can install them all day long for under $5 a foot......

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Were in So-Cal...Come in down...

You can keep california lol, I'm well aware of the costs of doing business. I just thought it was crazy to have that much disparity between tile and metal. We see very few tile roofs here anymore, I can't remember the last time we installed on one.. Im guessing the tile installs are a lot cheaper out there than they are here which makes sense with volume.. Metal is the rage here..and I love installing on those since we have no penetrations to warranty. Last invoice to us was $11, your cost of business is higher so it makes sense.

BajaMike

Reaction score

Standing seam metal roofs are fairly common around here, particularly in the hill country around Austin and San Antonio. When combined with natural Texas limestone, the result is really nice.

ext1.jpg

Ranch-Style-Home-Furman-Keil-Architects-01-1-Kindesign.jpg

I love it with that beautiful Texas limestone!

rrrr

Reaction score
I love it with that beautiful Texas limestone!

Depending on where it's quarried, some Texas limestone has multitudes of small fossils in it. While most limestone has a yellowish tint with some brown veins in it, the variety with fossils is also available in an almost pure white. It's fascinating to look at the stone's surface and all of the fossils, the imprint of small gastropods being the most common.

I found this photo on the University of Texas Bureau of Economic Geology website. It teaches petroleum engineering courses and other geology related subjects. As an aside, I was the mechanical superintendent on the building that houses the BEG on the North Austin campus, it was built in 1985.

central_limestone3.jpg
o

scottchbrite

Reaction score
Just hire someone contractor out a state.... I heard they can install them all day long for under $5 a foot......
Yeah no thanks.
That was one of the biggest hurdles we had because it isn’t “conventional“ in SoCal, yet. Along with the Hardie siding also. I wish I knew you did this 3.5 years ago when I was bidding my project.

Thats just crazy, I would have never expected that. Metal roofs are all over here (TX), we get a ton of hail so it's cheaper on insurance than asphalt. Honestly after this house, I'll never have a house that isn't foam with a metal roof. My utilities are dirt cheap bc of it, hell the plug in car is most of the bill!
I too am shocked at how inexpensive my utilities are. I almost doubled my square footage over my last house and my utilities are damn near the same.

stingray11

Reaction score
What are those little flaps for? Hold back snow?

Yes they are snow cleats to keep the snow and ice from sliding off and tearing the rainspout off. As far as noise it is not noisy if installed properly. It must be installed on plywood with a vapor barrier then the metal has a deadening sound because it is not suspended in the air. And should not be installed over shingles because it will not only be noisy but the air gaps under the metal will cause hot spots on the metal and shorten it's life.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Depending on where it's quarried, some Texas limestone has multitudes of small fossils in it. While most limestone has a yellowish tint with some brown veins in it, the variety with fossils is also available in an almost pure white. It's fascinating to look at the stone's surface and all of the fossils, the imprint of small gastropods being the most common.

I found this photo on the University of Texas Bureau of Economic Geology website. It teaches petroleum engineering courses and other geology related subjects. As an aside, I was the mechanical superintendent on the building that houses the BEG on the North Austin campus, it was built in 1985.

central_limestone3.jpg
o

I love the look and feel and coolness in the summer of Texas Lime stone. Ever been in the bars on 6th street in Austin in the summer? The ones built with 12” by 12” cubes of limestone? Touch the cubes, it’s 98 outside the cube is 72. Cool stuff.

RodnJen

Reaction score
How does a roof like that work with solar, or does it? My panels will be on the back of the house so I won’t lose the aesthetic benefit of the metal roof.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
How does a roof like that work with solar, or does it? My panels will be on the back of the house so I won’t lose the aesthetic benefit of the metal roof.

I prefer standing seam..no penetration. It’s about a $0.25 a watt price difference for materials.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Not a fan of metal roofs. Mostly because I didn't install many, and at least one of them was measured by another idiot, not this one. There are some outfits back east that will use satellite imagery to do the measurements, than pre-cut the pieces for your valleys and dormers. They used to send out pallets and labled bundles. If doing it yourself, that is what I would suggest. If you just want to get linear runs, lots of cutting, and cut sides get to be interesting.
There are also different thicknesses, so keep that in mind while pricing. Thinner stuff may look like a golf ball after hail, depending on underlayment and thermal expansion (like monsoons, warm days with hail. Weird, but it happens.) Depending on pitch of roof, a little dust will turn it into a slide. I found it good to put a floormat at the top of the ladder, to make sure your shoes are clean. Scraps of metal or pebbles will mar the surface, and stepping on a screw may puncture the metal, or at least dent it. It's not difficult to do. Wind is an enemy during any install, so a helper monkey is highly advisable.

stingray11

Reaction score
Quality standing seam metal you can't pound a nail through it with a hammer.It is thick

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk