WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rest in Peace Ken Meyers B&K Boats

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
its with a very sad heart that I start this post as we lost a great man this morning.

To so many people Kenny was a great friend and even though he was an only child he was an Uncle to dozens of us and of course to a very special group he was Dad and Grandpa!

I have so many memories of Ken and his shop in Bellflower from my Dad and I hopping a fence at night because we saw his lights on in the spray booth and we were hoping to see a cool tape fade just laid down, always making sure I drove down Bellflower boulevard to see if there was something cool sitting in the yard or just to pop in and say hello and watch them lay up some glass or catching the gang next door at Tams for lunch. I grew up popping in and out of the shop, my wife laughs at me because I could always find a reason to stop by and see Ken. There was always someone stopping by the shop to say hello, B&K was the equivalent to the small town Barber Shop.

The man truly had the heart of a teacher and so many people learned a skill from Ken, myself included, although just a novice I will never pick up a sanding block without thinking of him and smiling, that man loved to sand.

So many friends and so many years I feel blessed to have know him, learned from him and called him Uncle Ken!

I wanted to drop in some pictures of just a few of the boats Ken did over the years, I would love to hear some stories and see some more pictures from folks who have had work done by Ken.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 777
  • 4.2.JPG
    4.2.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 8-19-2006-12.jpg
    8-19-2006-12.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Magoo1.jpg
    Magoo1.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Halletts Boat.jpg
    Halletts Boat.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_0439.jpg
    100_0439.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 45

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Never met the man, but talented for sure.
I believe that wood deck with yellow cap is the boat in Halletts showroom?
The floors and bilge of that boat are literally clean enough to eat off, and have a shine you have to see to believe.

R.I.P Ken.

kiethco

Reaction score
They did the floor of my Carlson 20 years ago. That part of the restoration always stood out like a sore thumb, far superior workmanship, and they didn't mind taking in what my wife called "an old boat carcass".

ikester

Reaction score
speaking of tape fade.... in 1977 I was a junior in high school and Ken did my chevy shortbed in a tape fade scheme. It was a cool paint and I was a lucky kid. He also painted a couple of my dads drag boats. Ken was one of a kind and a great person to be around.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Never met the man, but talented for sure.
I believe that wood deck with yellow cap is the boat in Halletts showroom?
The floors and bilge of that boat are literally clean enough to eat off, and have a shine you have to see to believe.

R.I.P Ken.

That is the same boat.

Kenny worked on my dads boats, grew up in Long Beach. That and pops worked down the street for some time machining airplane parts. So drove past nearly daily. I still to this day love the smell of resin, brings back good memories:thumbsup

Couple years ago had Tony ( new owner of B+K) replace floor, and some other minor work. Ken stopped by every couple of days. Seems that if he couldn't work on em anymore he still wanted to be around em. We talked for a while and he had a smile that was contagious. Just a great guy!! May he Rest In Peace, and prayers to family and friends!
May the smell of resin and sanded fiberglass float to the heavens so he can keep that smile to share with everyone above.

dryhoze1

Reaction score
Godspeed Ken !
Kenny was great man. So sorry to read this. I do however feel lucky to have known him.
We lost one of the good ones.
He definitely gave me some input on my 4 year Sanger restoration.
He will be missed..

Attachments

• IMG_1526.JPG
    IMG_1526.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 28

rivergames

Reaction score
Ken, was a great guy and did great work on our cracker!

May Ken rest in peace :-(

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Ken did work on a couple of our race boats as early as the late 1960s. Then in 1970 we had Leonard Schiada build us the first custom 24' flatdeck and Ken did the paint on the wood deck. Great talent and excellent quality. He will be missed by many.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Rip and thoughts to all his family and friends [emoji202]

BDMar

B & D Marine
Reaction score
I've known Ken since the mid 70's. He was one of the ones you remember with a genuine heart. We would call each other about every 6 months just to shoot the shit. RIP :cry:

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
So I wanted to share this, Ken's service was today and it was an awesome event a ton of friends and great memories, what is way cool is that Ken Son In Law, Lou Contreras had recently put the finishing touches on Kens 69' C10, the only new truck Ken ever owned. This was sitting right up front out side the church today, just way cool!

Attachments

• IMG_0513.jpg
    IMG_0513.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0514.jpg
    IMG_0514.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0515.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 37