WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Restaurant Recommendations in SD

attitude

Reaction score
Im taking my girlfriend on mini vacation to SD next weekend and want to know some nice restaurants RDP recommends. I never have been to SD other than to us the airport so I am a noob.

We will be staying at the Hyatt on the bay next to the gas Lamp District. Also, my girlfriend is allergic to shell fish and I’m not a fan of seafood so I’m sure that limits are options.

DWC

Reaction score
Too bad on the seafood exclusion, Water Grill is one of the best. Fast food: Hodads and Basic Pizza are always good. Greystone for Italian /
steaks is a good spot.
Haven’t been down in a few months. The homeless situation was pretty bad. Stick to the main streets and don’t wander too far up or over and it’s a great place.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Right next to the Gaslamp District there is Little Italy area of San Diego. This is my favorite area….. Very walkable with farmers market during the day and a vibrant street life at night. There are a lot of authentic Italian restaurants.

Once you are done and would like some nightlife……. Stroll over to the Casbah. This club has been in San Diego for many years. I have seen some unique acts there…… very eclectic, but fun! Always live music.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Head over to Bali hi and get a Mai Tai or two! Also they have really good appetizers and view! I stopped drinking but this was my wife’s before the work Christmas party this year there is NO juice or soda in this drink!
0D132906-F679-44C2-905D-F40F67F72DA5.jpeg

AEA

Reaction score
It's been a while, Mister A's served up a fine dining experience.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
What kind of food?

Lou and Mickeys in the gas lamp
Born and Raised in Little Italy
island prime
Coasterra for mexican
Del Frisco's double eagle

The above are all steakhouse type places except for coaster which is modern mexican.

There is a great speakeasy scene here too. PM me if you want a run down.

lantz

Reaction score
There are tons of really nice places to eat all over the county, and everything mentioned seems top notch. I especially liked the Little Italy followed by the Casbah comment. If your GF wants a really nice dinner out, then by all means take her, but consider all the piers. You could start in Oceanside and take two days to walk the four public piers from Oside to Imperial Beach. (There is a pier at Scripps/La Jolla, but it is not public, and I am not counting the walkable Wharfs around downtown). Almost all of them have great hole in the wall places to grab a snack, get a coffee, beer, or full meal. A lot of them have damn good restaurants really close. Just make sure that you get to Crystal Pier before Sunset. There is a hotel on the pier, and they shut it down after dark to everyone except for guests. Stop in at the Children's pool in La Jolla (see the stinky rocks), also nice places to eat there. Drive out to Cabrillo Nat. Monument, and the at least check out the tide pools at the Marine Reserve opposite the monument. Walk around for a while. You can still take home a receipt from a really nice restaurant, or you can have some cool pics too. I just walked the Ocean Beach pier today. Half of it is shut down, but you can still get out there and watch the surf and surfers. Have fun.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
New Years weekend we were in the Gaslamp district for 3 days. We probably ate/drank in 6-8 different places. We walked to all of them from our hotel. Didnt have a single complaint about any of them. Food was on point everywhere, from $ to $$$$

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I think you would dig Neighborhood. It is in Gaslamp, corner of 8th and G. TONS of restaurants around there including STK Steakhouse. Wife and I like the rooftop club at the Andaz for after dinner drinks/dancing.

boatpi

Reaction score
Try Bali Hi for a Sunday brunch, need reservations and starve yourself for a day ahead of time. Mainly seafood etc., just spectacular!!!

Magnuman

Reaction score
Cowboy Star
King & Queen
Werewolf for Breakfast - Inexpensive and great drinks
Bubs for watching sports
Craft & Commerce - Best Fried Chicken

530RL

Reaction score
For a lunch sandwich or sub, I have always loved the Mona Lisa in Little Italy. It is basically a little restaurant, deli and convenience store.

Subs are really good with great bread and when staying downtown, we typically take some stuff back from their convenience store to the room to make snacks and appetizers.

Clank123

Reaction score
All great recommendations.
I’ve been selling beer and putting on events in the Gaslamp since 1993, have to have had over 500 lunches and dinners down there.
Very few places are you going to have a bad meal down there if you pay attention.
To those that posted the Cowboy Star…you know what’s up!
I might have missed it, but the highest earning restaurant in San Diego is Barley Mash. Fun place.
I would throw in a new place called Lumi…it is Japanese with Sushi so maybe not for you but it is the new place to be seen in the Gaslamp.
Also for something different…right across the street is Cafe Seville. It’s Spanish food and it is excellent.
Again lotta great places to hit…
PS…if you like Guinness, The Field has one of the top three pints in San Diego.

Magnuman

Reaction score
All great recommendations.
I’ve been selling beer and putting on events in the Gaslamp since 1993, have to have had over 500 lunches and dinners down there.
Very few places are you going to have a bad meal down there if you pay attention.
To those that posted the Cowboy Star…you know what’s up!
I might have missed it, but the highest earning restaurant in San Diego is Barley Mash. Fun place.
I would throw in a new place called Lumi…it is Japanese with Sushi so maybe not for you but it is the new place to be seen in the Gaslamp.
Also for something different…right across the street is Cafe Seville. It’s Spanish food and it is excellent.
Again lotta great places to hit…
PS…if you like Guinness, The Field has one of the top three pints in San Diego.
Totally forgot to add Cafe Sevilla. I've been going there for at least 10-15 years. Great restaurant. Really good brunch on the weekend.
I'll have to give Lumi a try next time I'm in San Diego.
The wife and I are looking to buy a condo in The Marina District to retire.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
For a lunch sandwich or sub, I have always loved the Mona Lisa in Little Italy. It is basically a little restaurant, deli and convenience store.

Subs are really good with great bread and when staying downtown, we typically take some stuff back from their convenience store to the room to make snacks and appetizers.

Been going there since my grandparents owned the train in front of the San Diego zoo! That was my grandpas go to for a bowl of minestrone soup! But those are seriously legit sandwiches!

All the places people are saying are great but sooo many budget friendly family owned killer places to eat in San Diego!

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Head over to Bali hi and get a Mai Tai or two! Also they have really good appetizers and view! I stopped drinking but this was my wife’s before the work Christmas party this year there is NO juice or soda in this drink! View attachment 1081288
Liquid magma. We sometimes stop by the Bali Hai after the Christmas Boat parade. The troops still get those but I just can't drink them anymore.

Clank123

Reaction score
Just give me a burger and a beer @ Rocky's in Pacific Beach...
Ate there last Friday!
I did a Saturday group trip 12 years ago with 20 guys and Miller Lite spokesmodels where we hit 7 of my top Tavern Hamburger stops in San Diego.
Rocky’s was a first stop at 10am.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Cafe Sevilla (at least the Riverside location) used to have a Sevilla margarita on the menu. If it isn't still there I'm sure they could make one for you. It substitutes Licor 43 for the "mix". Adding Licor 43 to any of the usual margarita recipies will be the best margarita you have ever had. It is just over the top tasty. Trust me on this.

530RL

Reaction score
Been going there since my grandparents owned the train in front of the San Diego zoo! That was my grandpas go to for a bowl of minestrone soup! But those are seriously legit sandwiches!

All the places people are saying are great but sooo many budget friendly family owned killer places to eat in San Diego!
I love their subs but it takes two people to get them. One to run in and get them and another to circle in the car as there is never parking.

But always worth it.

The other two good places to buy meats is Iowa Meats and Siesel’s both in Mission. Same ownership and Siesel’s has a deli which is pretty good for sandwiches.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
I’m not impressed with much of any dinning out. Things changed after Covid.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
If you are looking for some of the best wallet friendly diner food around, try Rudford's in the North Park area. Breakfast should find you at Green Flash or World Famous. If you are still in Little Italy and fancy a great steak, try Born and Raised or Island Prime for bay and city views.

Last edited:

NicPaus

Reaction score
Stayed in little Italy. Lots of good Italian food. Herb and Wood was good. Lots of homeless these days in gaslamp. Smelled like piss everywhere we walked there.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
If you hit Cowboy Star know you need to get one of their special sauces for the steak, otherwise it comes completely plain and bland, Drinks there are great though.

attitude

Reaction score
We had an amazing dinner at Island Prime last night. Going to get breakfast soon, check out the midway exhibit and then somewhere along the line hit the farmers market in little Italy.

Btw she said yes

Attachments

• 43D3AC9F-B901-4379-986A-B8E453C34219.jpeg
    43D3AC9F-B901-4379-986A-B8E453C34219.jpeg
    802.1 KB · Views: 37