WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Restaurant Suggestions For Ventura County

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
My dad is turning 70 next week and we are looking to do a nice dinner with about 15 people this Sunday.

I reached out to Maestro's in Thousand Oaks and they have a private room but require $2k minimum for the room or $1,400 min for table in the restaurant.

Just looking for some suggestions as I really don't know a ton of places out that way. Looking for something semi upscale that might have a private room for all of us between Calabasas and Thousand Oaks.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
My dad is turning 70 next week and we are looking to do a nice dinner with about 15 people this Sunday.

I reached out to Maestro's in Thousand Oaks and they have a private room but require $2k minimum for the room or $1,400 min for table in the restaurant.

Just looking for some suggestions as I really don't know a ton of places out that way. Looking for something semi upscale that might have a private room for all of us between Calabasas and Thousand Oaks.
You can try a Fleming’s as they have private rooms. But all private rooms will have a min of a couple grand.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
a bit further north but a GREAT meal!!!! Either Jockos in Nipomo or Far Western in Orcutt/Santa Maria

Totally would have been open to something farther but it is already a 2 hour drive for us to get to his house in Agoura Hills.

hallett21

Reaction score
If you’re headed to Agoura I’d say Maestos, Geoffrey’s or Nobu in Malibu.

Wood Ranch in Agoura is good but I’m assuming that’s a regular spot for you guys.

Are you against chains? Lure in Westlake or Kings Fish House in Calabasas for fish. Or bring you’re own table cloth and booze and eat at Malibu Seafood.

Moody Rooster in Westlake has good food, can’t remember the drink options.

Mexican food

Cafe Habana in Malibu or Plata Cantina by Canyon Club.

I’ll keep adding options

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
If you’re headed to Agoura I’d say Maestos, Geoffrey’s or Nobu in Malibu.

Wood Ranch in Agoura is good but I’m assuming that’s a regular spot for you guys.

Are you against chains? Lure in Westlake or Kings Fish House in Calabasas for fish.

Moody Rooster in Westlake has good food, can’t remember the drink options.

Mexican food

Cafe Habana in Malibu or Plata Cantina by Canyon Club.

I’ll keep adding options

We go to WR all the time when out there and Kings as well. Trying to stay between Calabasas and TO. Not willing to go farther out because of a few factors.

Looks like Mastros might be the one but going to do the Ole Google search at the office tomorrow and see what else we can dig up.

hallett21

Reaction score
We go to WR all the time when out there and Kings as well. Trying to stay between Calabasas and TO. Not willing to go farther out because of a few factors.

Looks like Mastros might be the one but going to do the Ole Google search at the office tomorrow and see what else we can dig up.
Geoffrey’s is off of Kanan (south about a mile) if you’re trying to minimize driving. Might be the same distance as maestro’s (I’m assuming you’re talking about the TO one)?

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Geoffrey’s is off of Kanan (south about a mile) if you’re trying to minimize driving. Might be the same distance as maestro’s (I’m assuming you’re talking about the TO one)?

Yeah the one in TO. Yeah Kanan is one exit north of my dad. Will check that one out tomorrow.

4Waters

Reaction score
Sutters Mill or Larsens, both steakhouses in Simi Valley. Sutters is a small family owned restaurant with a cool feel, there is also MB Grille in Simi for seafood. Woodranch is great but I would do the 2 steakhouses that I mentioned, before WR. Thousand Oaks also has Bandits BBQ.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score

15 person drinks and dinner you should hit that no problem

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

you will hit that, and likely 2k with zero issue if people have 2-3 drinks each.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
you will hit that, and likely 2k with zero issue if people have 2-3 drinks each.

6 of our group is kids and not everyone drinks.

We have 14 and are doing this menu if we go with Mastro's

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230606_181029_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230606_181029_Drive.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 63

Tank

Reaction score
Maestros is tasty. But way over priced.

There’s a Paul Martin’s in Westlake that is supposed to be really good. May want to check on that.

There’s also a Holdrens in Newbury park. Either of those would meet your expectations with quality of food that isn’t overpriced and can get you a room.

If you want to drive all The way to Ventura there’s rumfish or casa bella down town that I’d recommend.

On a side note, not that you’re going to nipomo but we ate at jockos a while back. Still bomb amazing BBQ. Not the type of place to do a dinner like you’re doing but definitely worth the drive for you if you’ve never been. They don’t fuck around. And it’s not bougey or expensive.

IMG_2559.jpeg
IMG_2558.jpeg

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Maestros is tasty. But way over priced.

There’s a Paul Martin’s in Westlake that is supposed to be really good. May want to check on that.

There’s also a Holdrens in Newbury park. Either of those would meet your expectations with quality of food that isn’t overpriced and can get you a room.

If you want to drive all The way to Ventura there’s rumfish or casa bella down town that I’d recommend.

On a side note, not that you’re going to nipomo but we ate at jockos a while back. Still bomb amazing BBQ. Not the type of place to do a dinner like you’re doing but definitely worth the drive for you if you’ve never been. They don’t fuck around. And it’s not bougey or expensive.

View attachment 1239212 View attachment 1239213

Thanks brother, some solid options. Jumping on the phone tomorrow to see what we can do.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
So, I live in the area, I also agree with Tank, Holdrens is a nice place, I was gonna suggest this before I saw his post... You can't go wrong there. It's an old fashion restaurant with great food. Kind of upper scale but not really...

Last edited:

Aces & Eights

Reaction score
Lure Fish House in Westlake Village

30970 Russell Ranch Rd
Westlake Village, CA 91362
United States

lurefishhouse.com

Tank

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for this one. Looks like their dining room is just enough for our party. Will reach out tomorrow!
Lure is good for sure and it’s not a National chain only regional so quality control is usually spot on.

Meaney77

Reaction score
A few other suggestions in Westlake area-
Novo cafe- Italian
Nonna's- Italian
Casa Nostra- Italian
Boccaccio's - everything overlooking Westlake lake
Zin Bistro- everything overlooking Westlake lake.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Sutters Mill or Larsens, both steakhouses in Simi Valley. Sutters is a small family owned restaurant with a cool feel, there is also MB Grille in Simi for seafood. Woodranch is great but I would do the 2 steakhouses that I mentioned, before WR. Thousand Oaks also has Bandits BBQ.
We used to go to Sutters Mill when it was in Mission Hills.

Lure Fish House in Westlake Village

30970 Russell Ranch Rd
Westlake Village, CA 91362
United States

We go to Lure in Ventura quite often when we are in the area.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Paul Martins makes good cocktails, but I find their dinner menu ok and not worth it. I find them more of a social gathering place to drink.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
We go to Lure in Ventura quite often when we are in the area.
Us as well, always a good meal. with just the two us it's always up at the bar.

I wish i could remember the Italian place right next door. very good as well and nice sized patio that would hold a group of 15.
Edit. Cafe Fiore

bluebleeder

Reaction score
Boccaccio's on Westlake is a sloid choice. I also vote for Lure though.