WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Resto long deck Biesemeyer

Reservoir Dog

Reaction score
So this passed spring i took my old Biesemeyer to Norco, Ca. to Stew at Tracer Marine. This old girl was in pretty bad shape, the balsa floors were rotten to the piot of decentagration, the bulk heads and dash had moss growing out of them, and the stringers were twisted. This hull had never been rigged, no holes in dash, stringers , or transom (other than drains). Someone had drilled the holes for a drag style strut and cut the hole for the prop shaft (no hole for the rudder box). She sat outside for what looks like most of her life. With out further ado, here ya go. Hope you like, thanks Trevor. :drool:drool:drool

Attachments

FlatNv

Reaction score
saw your boat a few months back @ Stu's, its coming along :thumbsup keep posting progress
cool bringing her back..cant believe anyone would let one deteriorate that bad.:eek:.. and never rigged @ that

Reservoir Dog

Reaction score
saw your boat a few months back @ Stu's, its coming along :thumbsup keep posting progress
cool bringing her back..cant believe anyone would let one deteriorate that bad.:eek:.. and never rigged @ that
Thanks, the things people do. :boo: Well with any luck and time, i should have her together for new years day weekend at CFW this year. I have some parts gathered up; v-drive, rudder box, steering post w/ windshield, 1" prop strut, double drop threw fin, some cav plate hard wear, skid fins, and a bunch of misc. fittins and ss bolts.

Oh and some more pics:D

Attachments

Reservoir Dog

Reaction score
After all that crap was removed, Stew laid a layer of cloth and then the strong back down the center of the deck, battens for the gunnel under the deck, and a nice coat of black gel . I had him do acouple of thing diffrent that by my reasoning would be better. I had him add a solid 1\2" x 6" oak dash backing instead of ply wood. MY exeriance is that over the years plywood kinda smashes because i ts not very dense. Im always tightening my steering post on my cole. I also had him leave off most of the wood around the dack along with the foam that was down the center tring to lighten this thing up. :D

Attachments

Reservoir Dog

Reaction score
There was some funky business happening at the bow, lots of glass globbed around the bow eye. You can see the floors were pretty bad.

Attachments

wrighton

Reaction score
WoW! Talking about starting from Scratch. Thanks for sharing your project and the pics. Very Cool:thumbsup

Reservoir Dog

Reaction score
Thanks guys, shes almost finished as far as the hull goes. I should have her back home in about a month, and start the rigging.

vd cruiser ya it would have been cheaper to buy a new hull, but let me know where to find a long deck Biesemeyer brand new. I dont believe anyone make this hull any more. I have not seen any one with the molds for a old style long deck. These have different gunnels and decks than the new ones do. Im not sure, but i think they were only made for a couple of years (70-71?) Since this one has never been rigged, i have thought about making a splash of it though. :)

Reservoir Dog

Reaction score
After all the bad glass was removed from the floor, the transom was cut to relieve it for straitening. The two bottom pics are backwards. Since there was so much material removed form the inside, a small dam was built as a mold to build up the cav/blast plate recess area. Once the new floors are in they will get a couple more layers of glass on top of that.

Attachments

Last edited:

vdcruiser

Reaction score
I understand, the long decks look so good. Some mighty impressive work going on here.:thumbsup

Reservoir Dog

Reaction score
Thanks cruiser, the hull is getting so close. Cant wait to get it home,and start the rigging. I think Im going to do most of the rigging before i flow coat the floors and paint the hull.

Any how here is some more pics to keep you all salivating like me. Here all the wood has now been covered in glass

Attachments

Deangang

v-drive row member
Reaction score
How's the progress ? Let's see come more pic's .

Darren

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Please update when you can. This is one of those incredible builds we love.

sirbob

Reaction score
Well I hope the lack of reply means he is busy and doing well.

My fear is that for some reason or another the project has stalled... I hope not! I am looking forward to seeing this come together.:thumbsup

PS his last post on RDP was 10-27-12

Reservoir Dog

Reaction score
Well folks its been a while since ive been on here. Work has progressed, and i moved to idaho 3 years ago. So with out further ado here are some more up to date pics.

Attachments

BUSTI

Reaction score
Wow! Looking great. Glad this is still going. Keep the pics coming.

sirbob

Reaction score
Welcome back !

Glad to see this one moving forward - love the floor.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Can I ask you what you bedded the stringers with? Did you tab the stringers in before you put the balsa down? I can't tell from the pics. And how did you lay the floor? Just wet it out and lay it in?
Love those hulls.

Reservoir Dog

Reaction score
The stringers were cut to fit the bottom, lay down glass mat 2" wde full lenghth of stringer w/ heavy resin and build jig to hold in place and to set weights on, glass over stringers acouple of times, lay down more matting w/ heavy resin lay down balsa, add weights, then glass over all.

Backlash

Reaction score
Very nice work Sir! Thank you for posting the updates! ;)

J DUNN

Hallett 240 Owner
Reaction score
It would be so sick to see what Billy B would do with this thing. He painted 2 of my dads boats, Cole "Main Squeze" and Mandella 18' long deck, back in the day and they came out phenomenal!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice pics, it's cool to see a good slow build going in all the right directions. Keep up the good work.

Do you have power worked out yet?

Sherpa

Reaction score
No updates for quite some time........ hmm...... Boise huh-? Good Ole "Leaky Peak."

I'm torn between selling my long deck (project) I put an ad on performance boats... I guy came to look. another saw pics and is looking for a cleaner start. like drop in motor and go.

looking at the pics, I would like to pay Stu to cut off the deck. And I could start all the crap removal. then with a little guidance I could redo the stringers. balsa. veneer over balsa.,
etc.

I started scraping off the paint on my hull, and have gone thru about 4 or five paint layers plus primers..... it's about 3/32" thick.......... down to original gelcoat.........

This hull was laid up in light green metalflake gell......... kinda neat, not exactly my taste.......... but until someone knocks on the door and says I just gotta have that boat and here's
the cash, I guess I'll put time in when I can, and buy materials when I can.....

--So Resevoirdog, what was the decision to move to Boise-? I was there from 89--91 ish timeframe working at Micron and living in hotels. ;lol. took my boat up for a summer. had a blast.
--Sherpa

Reservoir Dog

Reaction score
Glelcoater yeah it Stu Sutherland who did all the resto work and the bottom.

Reservoir Dog

Reaction score
Sherpa cutting the deck off is easy part, but befor you remove the stringers make sure the bottom of hull is braced/ supported so tha it dose not change when you pull the stringers out. The hull will flex a little with no bracing (stringers) in it, so you need to be able to keep the shape while workin in it. I think there some pics of it sitting on a dolly with block underneath to support the shape in this thread.

Reservoir Dog

Reaction score
Sorry for not having many up dates on the boat, up its cold out side and no garage to work in. I was able to build a new part, didn't really like any of the options out there for the calvplate rod transome fitting so I made one that I thought looks pretty bitchen. image.jpg image.jpg

MOUZER

Reaction score
looking good............havent seen mine its back at paint for final cut and buff

Joe King

Reaction score
So this passed spring i took my old Biesemeyer to Norco, Ca. to Stew at Tracer Marine. This old girl was in pretty bad shape, the balsa floors were rotten to the piot of decentagration, the bulk heads and dash had moss growing out of them, and the stringers were twisted. This hull had never been rigged, no holes in dash, stringers , or transom (other than drains). Someone had drilled the holes for a drag style strut and cut the hole for the prop shaft (no hole for the rudder box). She sat outside for what looks like most of her life. With out further ado, here ya go. Hope you like, thanks Trevor. :drool:drool:drool
I want to THANK YOU for showing your rebuild. Thank GOD for people like you!

Joe King

Reaction score
Thanks guys, shes almost finished as far as the hull goes. I should have her back home in about a month, and start the rigging.

vd cruiser ya it would have been cheaper to buy a new hull, but let me know where to find a long deck Biesemeyer brand new. I dont believe anyone make this hull any more. I have not seen any one with the molds for a old style long deck. These have different gunnels and decks than the new ones do. Im not sure, but i think they were only made for a couple of years (70-71?) Since this one has never been rigged, i have thought about making a splash of it though. :)
I would too...

Joe King

Reaction score
I've watched your restoration from the start. You did well. I appreciate more than you know the task of the job in hand. More pics would be awesome!

Joe King

Reaction score
If you EVER have the urge to do another resto...PLEASE DO!