WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Restoring an old bmx bike

Husqy510

Reaction score
I just pulled my old Robinson bmx bike out of my parent's backyard and I want to rebuild it. What's a good place to buy parents. Looking for bars, 3 piece cranks, seat, seat post, etc...

DLC

Reaction score
SE racing has some parts. They don’t have a huge selection

one of the other inmates will be in shortly and give you better direction

i just googled this...

Last edited:

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score

Husqy510

Reaction score
Are parts universal? For instance the cranks and seat post

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Are parts universal? For instance the cranks and seat post
Alot of it interchanges amongst BMX bikes, but you need to know what your working with. Figure out what you have on the bike currently so you can cross reference diameters, heights, bearings, etc

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
I just built this for my youngest ground up HARO 118 Powdercoated everything and got all parts from- bmxguru.com really knowledgable folks- best pricing around and had all the parts considering these BS times.

Attachments

• levi.jpg
    levi.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 85

Tank

Reaction score
What year Robinson? Pics? If it’s vintage 80’s / 90’s it’ll most likey have an American bottom bracket (the bigger one). Euro BB is the smaller one and what most post 2000’s bike companies use now even on new production retro bikes (SE’s line etc.).

For parts I always enjoy hunting on eBay and Craigslist. The online stores mentioned here are good. I’ve used dans comp and planet BMX before too. For the stuff you find on eBay those type sites are good to confirm the price is good. Sometimes you can find a full bike on CL that has two of the parts you’re looking for, say handle bars and cranks, for the price you were ready to pay for just cranks. Then you can sell off the other stuff. eBay has a lot of NOS (new old stock), used and new stuff. I’ve built up 80’s bikes with 80’s parts I’ve hunted down and I’ve built up 80’s and 90’s bikes with a mix of old and new parts. Just depends on what you prefer but the hunt is half the fun for me.
Post some pics. I had a 91ish 20” Robinson for a little bit. Fun bike.

Husqy510

Reaction score
What year Robinson? Pics? If it’s vintage 80’s / 90’s it’ll most likey have an American bottom bracket (the bigger one). Euro BB is the smaller one and what most post 2000’s bike companies use now even on new production retro bikes (SE’s line etc.).

For parts I always enjoy hunting on eBay and Craigslist. The online stores mentioned here are good. I’ve used dans comp and planet BMX before too. For the stuff you find on eBay those type sites are good to confirm the price is good. Sometimes you can find a full bike on CL that has two of the parts you’re looking for, say handle bars and cranks, for the price you were ready to pay for just cranks. Then you can sell off the other stuff. eBay has a lot of NOS (new old stock), used and new stuff. I’ve built up 80’s bikes with 80’s parts I’ve hunted down and I’ve built up 80’s and 90’s bikes with a mix of old and new parts. Just depends on what you prefer but the hunt is half the fun for me.
Post some pics. I had a 91ish 20” Robinson for a little bit. Fun bike.
Its a mid 90s bike for sure. Frame looks pretty good, but the bars and forks are rusty. I'll probably do a custom build, rather than restore it.

I'll post some pics tomorrow. Thanks for the reply

Tank

Reaction score
Its a mid 90s bike for sure. Frame looks pretty good, but the bars and forks are rusty. I'll probably do a custom build, rather than restore it.

frankly, it’s more fun to do custom builds than try to track down NOS parts. Especially when there’s so much cool newer stuff out there.
Have fun! Building them up is the best part.

Kahunajuice

Reaction score

My son took that same bike (Robinson 4140 Chrome Moley Steel) last year and took it all apart and put all the parts including the frame in a big plastic bin (he got from Wallmart) and just let it soak in Vinegar for a couple of days. After a couple of days he was able to just wipe everything off including the rust.

E4L

Reaction score
I just pulled my old Robinson bmx bike out of my parent's backyard and I want to rebuild it. What's a good place to buy parents. Looking for bars, 3 piece cranks, seat, seat post, etc...

Contact Bill Holman at Bassett bikes he has all the old cool stuff. I would never put SE parts on a rebuild old school

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Husqy510

Reaction score
Here's a pic. Looks like mine is an SST.

I'll break it down today and make some calls about powder coating and chrome