WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Restoring the Silverwing Tunnel

UAV.Pilot

Reaction score
6D40B6DE-522D-4744-B531-4D9FA7216128.jpeg
Its been a while, I’ve been collecting parts as I can afford them.
This was a complete rig but the guys sold it off in pieces.
It took a while but I nearly have everything to put it back together.

I got a pretty clean SSM 3A complete, thatnwill be connected to a SCS “shiftable” crash box, then to a Crower Clutch and Flywheel.
9C295421-C58B-4362-AC82-72CB79C731FE.jpeg

AFE47AE2-0F27-4BA1-AD4D-B815BD47F1B7.jpeg

This boat has Stainless tube stringers, very different to rig.
A0AB5423-5079-45FE-9AE0-5549E050FF99.jpeg

For the engine I wanted to keep it simple with a 540 BBC, but I came across a Banks Twin Turbo Bbc, complete engine assembly with 40hrs in the hobbs, not sure if it’s correct time but I’ll have it gone through from top to bottom.
2B6FCD8D-1D48-433F-BF9C-5D862FDF4F8D.jpeg

I’m super excited about this boat, back in the day my dad had a “Liberty” Tunnel, and was about to step up to a Silverwing, but he was involved in a bad accident and it ended out family boating.
7657A5F2-4070-455E-88A5-EBE9F93CEE14.jpeg

4399DC4F-7044-40BF-9931-0CC36E6DFE7B.jpeg

I’ve been an outboard guy for the past 25’years so been leaning on a few ppl for guidance.
Over all looks straight forward...

I’ve been told by the previous owner with 900hp he saw 135 mph any day of the week...

I’ll set the Banks engine to 850hp and possibly upgrade it to EFI...not sure just yet...

UAV.Pilot

Reaction score
I would be interested if anyone knows about this boat, and if there is anyone that could re rig it for me. It’s not that I can’t but I’m just so busy with work and other things...

UAV.Pilot

Reaction score
Yes it looks worse than it is really. Lots of pieces which I dont like, I like the fewest pieces to make something come together.
Unfortunately I’m not the one who built this, and it is what it is, I’ll just use plenty of loctite and torq everything correctly.

The transmission is very trick, it’s a zero hp loss unit “Air Shiftable” so I have a airbag compressor and small tank that will actuate the throw out bearing and clutch.

The banks TT engine is an old school cool power plant! Boostpower has done several and said he will update and dial in this thing.

The engine look super clean inside, I don’t think it needs much, we will see

UAV.Pilot

Reaction score
This is similar to mine, except I have the large inter cooler like the offshore unit below., but unlike the one below I have the shorter elbow’s and the single 850 cfm carb.
There are no waistgates on these but rather they have a bleed hole drilled into the turbine housings, the rayjays are small but will provide enough boost to achieve the 850hp, and the fact they are smaller they spool up pretty quick from what I hear.
61068A6B-0D44-482A-9EBA-5861BA30540B.jpeg

This is his 1000hp offshore version back in the day.
4B507478-B7C0-409F-B1BD-D6B469CFE0D2.png

Last edited:

nrbr

Reaction score
Jim Wilkes from Wilkes marine was heavily involved in these boats. He' in Santa Ana I'd give him a ring of I were doing this project. I grew up around the races where art Williams had the et 80 sasquatch boat. Thing was bad to the bone

UAV.Pilot

Reaction score
I will, you are the second person to recommend this.

outboardrick

Reaction score
I've always loved these boats. A friend had one years ago with a V8 Johnson on the back, one of the smoothest boats I've ever driven.

UAV.Pilot

Reaction score
So last time I was home I made some progress by collecting all my parts.
Now they are all Together I was able to really check them out. I’m super stoked about what I was able to pick up!

Found a Gale Banks Twin Turbo engine that came from the late owner of Circus Circus, it was one of a few engines in his collection for sale.
I cracked it open and by the looks of it the guy was right when he said it was never used in anything, but a spare for one of their several boats they had.

C3A3563F-00D3-4F40-B144-DF378E0D4938.jpeg

4C6B44C3-20FE-45F9-A835-2AFC0B84974F.jpeg

9DEDBBB0-0AD5-42F0-977B-CE5AF69215FD.jpeg

The outdrive I found in So Cal, it’s a Super Speedmaster 3A complete outdrive.
As far as these drives are concerned this looks very strong almost over kill!

AA48A060-9162-4ACB-882F-4057FCFDFC8D.jpeg

Slow process for sure trying to find the right stuff without spending my sons college tuition, not easy at all. Should be a fun cruiser I hope?

outboardrick

Reaction score
Always thought a Blackhawk drive on one of those would be killer.

UAV.Pilot

Reaction score
Finding a Blackhawk drive is one thing, but finding props is where it gets really tricky.

Rick I think we know each other from a distant past, did you know the late Dave Bettis aka biker Dave?
If so I was his friend with the old school red Daytona, from way back...

outboardrick

Reaction score
Finding a Blackhawk drive is one thing, but finding props is where it gets really tricky.

Rick I think we know each other from a distant past, did you know the late Dave Bettis aka biker Dave?
If so I was his friend with the old school red Daytona, from way back...
I'm sure we have crossed paths.... I had worked with a Dave Bettis, don't know if it's the same person and didn't know he passed away. I used to have a pink 21 Daytona with a V8 Johnson, Pickl'd Pink.

UAV.Pilot

Reaction score
Yeah we all hung out a few times if you remember he had the Tri-toon I had the red and burgundy 21 Daytona with a V8 Evenrude hanging off the back...

Dave and his wife passed away within 6 months of each other, both with brain tumor...seriously a crazy deal, I believe it was those stinky ferrets they raised...but who knows?

outboardrick

Reaction score
Yeah we all hung out a few times if you remember he had the Tri-toon I had the red and burgundy 21 Daytona with a V8 Evenrude hanging off the back...

Dave and his wife passed away within 6 months of each other, both with brain tumor...seriously a crazy deal, I believe it was those stinky ferrets they raised...but who knows?
The red Daytona just isn't ringing a bell, and I never remember seeing Dave on the lake at all. Maybe if I ever run into you I'll recognize you.

Really looking forward to your project, just always loved the Silverwings!

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Wilkes built this one and if anyone knows about the stringer setup its him. To my knowledge this is one of a kind. I have no experience with this type of setup so hopefully someone who does will chime in. The prior owner was putting up some good numbers so it sounds like it works. I'm excited to see this one come together. As always let me know if there is anything that I can help with.

UAV.Pilot

Reaction score
No Rick I’m afraid I haven’t turned a wrench in a long time. My life is kinda scattered at the present, just trying to keep it all together in this difficult time. Divorce is not easy or cheap! And all my time is spent working or fixing other projects that need my attention first.
I’ll get back to it full steam real soon though, I think by this winter it will all come together nicely!
I’ve been collecting everything needed to put it back together. I could use someone’s help in rewiring it, the current wire situation is that it’s all original, or I could just clean it up and roll with it. I’ll see once I get into it a little more.
I can say this, the parts that I have gotten so far are really nice!
For sure this boat is unique and it’s going to rip no doubt!
Can’t wait you know, it’s truly an awesome rig!

outboardrick

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your difficulties, stay strong and work it out.....I'm sure things will come together for you!