WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Resurrecting 1995 Mariner 3.0L 225 EFI

PESCAHOLIC

Reaction score
My bass boat has been sitting for at least 5 years and I'm going through it so I can get back out on the water.

The engine has not been run in at least 4 years, but has just 200 hours. Just before the last time it ran I had it at a dealer and they put it on the computer and replaced a faulty Crank Position Sensor and checked the timing. Immediately after that one of the OEM metal reeds broke, which I repaired and replaced with Boysen 2 stage and made sure there were no fragments in the cylinders. I ran the boat after that on the trailer, but have not run it in the water or at load since.

I'm an electrician, mechanically inclined and have run large yachts for much of my life, so generally speaking, I have the non-Mercury/Mariner or outboard specific stuff like safety, batteries, connections, switches and such handled. But I'm not so bold as to profess to know-it-all or assume I haven't missed anything. Therefore, I would appreciate any advice or recommendations/reminders as to what I should check for before firing it up and starting to use it again.

Here is what I have on my list so far:

1) I have drained the fuel in the tanks and fuel filter
2) Rinsed fuel tanks with fresh fuel and drained that fuel
3) Drained and rinsed the 2-stroke oil tank and reservoir
4) Checked tanks, hoses and clamps for fuel and oil
5) Removed gearcase for oil and impeller change
6) Checked trim motor and hydraulics
7) Checked steering (Sea Star Pro)

Of the things I have checked so far I have found the following:

1) Slop in the steering which I will bleed-any other recommendations with steering?
2) The audible alarms on the engine are not working. The light indicators work, but the audible alarms that always sound when the key is turned to the 'on' position are not. Recommendations?
3) Which outboard oil do you recommend for this vintage motor that I will typically run above 5,000 RPM's?

Based upon what you know so far, I would sincerely appreciate any and all advice and recommendations before I light her up again.

Thanks in advance.