WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Retirement, would love to hear from the guys that have pulled it off.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
I agree 100%. My Pops put all his cash into 2% C.D.s. Not the greatest hedge against inflation, lol. One thing to look at when trying to determine retirement money needs is to look at your family history for average age at time of death. I don't think he ever planned to live to 86. Everybody in his family besides him died before 65. Thinking he figured he only needed a few years worth of expenses to close it out. Damn if he didn't he fool himself, lol.
Well my Dad only lived to be 46 but my Mom live to almost 92 so if I average that out I should make it to 69. SHIT! I better go turn in my resignation this afternoon.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I recognize the name. I continue to have second thoughts about investing outside my area.

The challenge is partnering with someone you know and trust, not a faceless company.

There are several high net worth people in a different aspect of my mentorship program. They’re from all over the country.

They get turn-key rentals that begin as distressed properties. After renovations, they have $20-30k in equity and are cash flow positive ($300-500/month), zero to a little money in the deal, and the homes are managed either my mentor, or other students in the program who have property management companies.

And because they’re fresh rehabs, CapX is minimized or eliminated for at least 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RichL

Reaction score
The challenge is partnering with someone you know and trust, not a faceless company.

There are several high net worth people in a different aspect of my mentorship program. They’re from all over the country.

They get turn-key rentals that begin as distressed properties. After renovations, they have $20-30k in equity and are cash flow positive ($300-500/month), zero to a little money in the deal, and the homes are managed either my mentor, or other students in the program who have property management companies.

And because they’re fresh rehabs, CapX is minimized or eliminated for at least 5 years.

This is how I picked up my first. All cash purchase and full rehab mostly by myself in my spare time. With today's inflated market in this area, I'm just biding my time.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
I continue to have second thoughts about investing outside my area.
I'm having that same concern and thoughts about investing in another Country right now. LOL
Been looking for 10 years and just can't seem to pull the trigger at least until I have more time to spend in the other Country to be able to keep an eye on things more closely but the tax advantages and exchange rate advantage is HUGE.

fmo24

Reaction score
We opted to maximize our savings and not go the rental route no headaches from property and a nice income from savings. Pension, 401 rolled to IRA’s and investment accounts. Debt free is definitely high on the scale. We have a cell phone bill, direct tv bill and whatever we spend on fuel traveling. Ordinary grocery expenses and the occasional Mexican restaurant lol.
When we're on the road it can be 200$ a day in fuel but we do rest stops or truck stops or occasional Walmart parking lot.

clarence

Reaction score
"Spending paralysis" is real. You don't just wake up retired and start spending money when you have been saving for 30 years or more.

My situation is a little unique in that I lived and worked overseas for a long time with high compensation and low fixed expenses (company-provided housing, transportation). Single too, so pretty much zero responsibilities.

Spent a lot traveling, but didn't own much.

Now retired, it's something of a burden to find myself with a condo, furniture, two cars, property tax/HOA/utilities/cable/phone bills, car registration, etc.

Felt some responsibility at first to spend the money I'd saved, but I'm over that. Don't have to do anything with it if I don't want to (just makes me wish I'd retired earlier).

Have decided against the light sport plane (and hanger) I'd planned on, and now even debating whether to get a boat (and slip) or not.

Right now seems more like work than fun. Wouldn't make sense to buy them only to end up relieved like Dilligaf when get rid of.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
We opted to maximize our savings and not go the rental route no headaches from property and a nice income from savings. Pension, 401 rolled to IRA’s and investment accounts. Debt free is definitely high on the scale. We have a cell phone bill, direct tv bill and whatever we spend on fuel traveling. Ordinary grocery expenses and the occasional Mexican restaurant lol.
When we're on the road it can be 200$ a day in fuel but we do rest stops or truck stops or occasional Walmart parking lot.
Ran this through the misses a few years ago and she basically told me to stop by to say high when I was in town...she ain't leaving those grandkids...

fmo24

Reaction score
Ran this through the misses a few years ago and she basically told me to stop by to say high when I was in town...she ain't leaving those grandkids...
No kids and no parents for us. I understand as my older brothers are in the same boat. We have totally enjoyed our time on the road so far

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Pronstar got it right....I was just having the conversation yesterday. I tell most young guys that I work with buy ANY real-estate you can afford ASAP. Not one has done it yet. If you did it the first thing is that you are pay equity to you not your landlord. Fix it up and then rent it out. If you are not married get a 2 bedroom and have a roommate. It is only for the first couple of years And you will free up some cash. Then move out and rent the unit

Work kind of got in the way for the reply. I hate when that happens. LOL

I only go the route of the 2br condo because in Hawaii that is kind of your first option. Alright so as I left it you now have a condo that you lived in and fixed up for a couple of years you can do a couple of things. Sell it and move on up the with quite built OR pull cash out for a down payment of the second property. Rent the first and fix up the next. There are several benefits doing it this way. Interest rates lower on owner occupied and you can cash out any time with the ability to minimize capital gains.

My plan in my 20s was a property every 5 years. It is totally doable. It you are in a market that is less expensive one a year is doable.

Then you also have the added benefit of appreciation and rental income. Our first property that we bought 25 years ago when our son was born has tripled in value in addition to the rent that we have collected for 15 years.

My mother did this with a couple of condos when I was growing up and retired at 50 years old.

In addition to our homes the wife and I have maxed out her 401 at work. We started with the minimum with matching and each year we added a couple of % points until she maxed it out in 5-8 years.

Bottom line is that you need to squirrel away money any and each way over the years before you go out and blow your money. If you do it right people will be aying your bills. That is of course until the government changes everything.

brgrcru

Reaction score
Well I was in a forced retirement by the Covid BS for 9 months. After selling our business with property . I probably could retire .
But not working 8 months , I don't know how you retired people do it? I need to work . Until my mind and body tell me that's it .

Bottom line . I like to work .

pronstar

Reaction score
I'm having that same concern and thoughts about investing in another Country right now. LOL
Been looking for 10 years and just can't seem to pull the trigger at least until I have more time to spend in the other Country to be able to keep an eye on things more closely but the tax advantages and exchange rate advantage is HUGE.

Once I can get my business systems in place, we’d love to travel around and actually live in some LCOL (low cost of living) countries for a few months here, a few months there. Sorta like nomads...

You can live like a king for a grand or two a month in many countries.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
So far a lot of input from peeps who havent done it.

all good though
Basically it's all bull shit. Those that have retired are hating life, you wont hear from them. Us working suckers are holding out hope for a better life, a life where we one day sit in leasure and women with big breasts bring us beer and say "Master, you are so smart planning retirement so good, what is your wish?"

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Wife pulled her companies retirement plan and re invested it all about 2 years ago.
It wasn't producing very well and the company allowed this. We did a complete financial shake down from freshening trust funds to paying off the house, to who gets what in wills, to investments. She covered it all.

She sat down with a planner, set a money goal and spread out her re-investments.
Oppenheimer fund has (had) stolen a lot of money from investors and it took well over a year to claw it all back and it was a brutal, stressful experience.. A substantial sum. Oppenheimer is defunct now BTW.

Doing OK so far she's on track to achieve her goal of about $5 million in principal and to live a long life as a crazy cat, dog and burro lady.

Clinton promised to pay our kids college, haven't seen a dime of that money.

Wife vetted retirement planners extensively. She really researched their history, their backgrounds, their track records, their performance, their reviews and weeded out the planners with fake reviews and cooked numbers.
She rolled with one up in Santa Barbara and so far looks legit and is flowing nicely.

Maynard is the tough tight wad in the family and will handle it all when we're gone. His favorite scene in movies is when Harry Potter entered Gringots bank for a withdrawal.
"Money? Withdraw money? Money? No one's ever withdrawn money." Yeah,, That's maynard.

Last edited:

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
We are on year 4 of retirement. I went at 49.

We were savers. We typically hit 30% of our income per year. Max 401K's at about 15-20% depending on plan and another 10% in post tax savings. We set it up to get about what we were earning each year with about 4% increase per year. Medical is a big one and luckily we get that through my wife's pension, although still pay about $500 per month.

We were very surprised that we are actually still saving money every month. I guess our many years of living below our means is hard to stop. We had 3 rentals many years ago, but didn't like it, so got out of them.

As far as not having enough to do depends on what you do now. Do you sit home and watch tv all the time or do you go out and meet people? Try new stuff? We spend winters at a resort that has about 100 activities a week. We are so busy we don't have any time to worry about being bored. In summer we go to the lake house and boat, fish , use the smoker a lot and just kind of relax after having a busy winter. I am going to set up a wood shop next summer and see if I like wood working as a hobby.

To me the key is stay busy in retirement. You will enjoy it more. Stop moving and start dying.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I’m a good 15 years from retirement and feel like we have a realistic plan. I find this conversation coming up more and more among friends, and it’s interesting how varied the different programs are from couple to couple.

For those of you that have pulled it off and retired in style, what was your plan?

Company man for life, investing in the matched 401k? Rental income? Built and later sold a million-dollar business? Did you work with a professional money guy or do it on your own?

Did you find any surprises regarding budgeting (like, "shit, I really should have invested more") once retired?

Any advice for us guys approaching 50 and the final push?

I don't know many ranchers that retire... :D

Not So Fast

Reaction score
We are in year 18 or retirement, not particularly flush but not broke either, have some nice things with NO DEBT, we're content to be truthful.
The best advice I had when retiring was this.
Have 3 legs of income and DO NOT BE IN DEBT, pretty simple plan but so far its worked. I have a small pension from Operating Engineers, income from CD's (which aint shit nowadays) and SS for myself and wife.
Words of Wisdom "LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS)"
Good luck
NSF PS Im scared to death after this farce of an election thou!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dog boy

Reaction score
Retired at 62 five yrs ago no wife no kids had a good career A&P mechanic. Worked for multiple defense contractors and airlines but worked my last 25yrs with FEDEx.Not a big saver have a good pension 401K and SS that I took at 62.I'm a work to live guy not live to work . Enjoyed my job but enjoy not having to work anymore.I haven't wanted for anything in retirement had all the boats and motorcycles and a nice little house a block from the river in Bullhead.In July I sold all the toys and home and moved to a very small town in Idaho 69 miles south of W. Yellowstone .Henrys fork of the snake river runs fifty yards behind my house and the grand tetons are in plain view from my back yard.Spend my time hiking with my dog and enjoying the spectacular scenery and good like mined people here .My relatives are all from here and have been coming here summer and winter since I was a kid. Have had to many friends die working and for me life is to damn short in my opinion.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Retired at 62 five yrs ago no wife no kids had a good career A&P mechanic. Worked for multiple defense contractors and airlines but worked my last 25yrs with FEDEx.Not a big saver have a good pension 401K and SS that I took at 62.I'm a work to live guy not live to work . Enjoyed my job but enjoy not having to work anymore.I haven't wanted for anything in retirement had all the boats and motorcycles and a nice little house a block from the river in Bullhead.In July I sold all the toys and home and moved to a very small town in Idaho 69 miles south of W. Yellowstone .Henrys fork of the snake river runs fifty yards behind my house and the grand tetons are in plain view from my back yard.Spend my time hiking with my dog and enjoying the spectacular scenery and good like mined people here .My relatives are all from here and have been coming here summer and winter since I was a kid. Have had to many friends die working and for me life is to damn short in my opinion.

love that area where you settled.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Retirement damn ,I keep thinking about it.
I keep buy stuff .
I’ll never get there .

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Retirement damn ,I keep thinking about it.
I keep buy stuff .
I’ll never get there .

That is where discipline comes in. What helped me out is I was over the boating and providing for a lot of family. A divorce slowed my roll a bit and then the divorce helped me refocus on only being responsible for myself. I am someone who is comfortable with my self as opposed to having to have people around me all the time. I knew I was over the party scene years ago when I had a lot of people partying at the house. I brought a shotgun in the garage where everybody was and chambered it (not really but they thought so) and told them all to go.....lol

4czn10

Reaction score
I retired 3.5 years ago at 56 thinking "I did it!"... Have a couple of small pensions and about a million in 401k's, IRA's, etc...no debt. everything paid off. We sold our Cali home and mover to beautiful South Carolina(We have a lake home there). After 7 months of working with contractors remodeling the house(some of them were total ass holes), I realized I wasn't ready, and was bored as heck. (I don't have any real hobbies other than boating and skiing), I missed the personal relationships, so I went back to work. I work for a small fire and sewer special purpose district as their administrator and I really enjoy it. I also realized that i underestimated how much I really need/want to retire on. I originally thought we(Wife and 13 yr. old daughter) could live off of 80% of annual income. Wrong! Everyone is different...I know, but now I am working until I'm can comfortably pull about $100% out of all accounts, another year or 2.

There is a App I use and recommend as a great tool for retirement planning and retirement tracking. I'm sure some of you have heard about it...it's called Personal Capital. I don't have any skin in the App. Just a good tool.

I will be ready the second time. I have a plan to travel the states, do a little sub teaching, and coaching. Really looking forward to it!

pronstar

Reaction score
The great thing about assets that generate passive income, you can continue to work because you want to, not because you have to.

And if it’s generational, your kids, and their kids, can do the same.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score

Checked out some homes there. Most need work done. Interesting area

pronstar

Reaction score
Checked out some homes there. Most need work done. Interesting area

If homes need work done, it’s ripe for an investor to force appreciation thru rehabs.

And if a lot of homes need work, it’ll usually drive distressed prices down...while driving retail prices up.

Retail buyers want turn-key.

Sounds like some potential right there [emoji106]

Nordie

Reaction score
24 years to go, hopefully my annuity does well, and my pension is still there. That's if I stay in the union. Definitely pipe dreams IMHO. I'm planning on paving my own way in the next 5 years.

C-2

Reaction score
Get a government job, wait 20 years. Retire like a hero.

The hero days are over, at least at my rank and file status.

I took a State job in non-sworn law enforcement at age 50 and if I retire at 65 the pension will be $2400 month (age 70/20-years would fetch 3,079), and that's assuming I accept a position in management. (2% post-pension reform, if I become sworn then it's 2.3%)

But that's fine by me as I didn't enter public service for the retirement or pay. Admittedly, benefits did play a role in the decision. But, I worked 30-years in private sector, so I'll also receive my full SS benefits.

Day late, dollar short on the money grab, lol. 🤟:)

cxr

Reaction score
My situation is a little unique in that I lived and worked overseas for a long time with high compensation and low fixed expenses (company-provided housing, transportation). Single too, so pretty much zero responsibilities.

Spent a lot traveling, but didn't own much.

Now retired, it's something of a burden to find myself with a condo, furniture, two cars, property tax/HOA/utilities/cable/phone bills, car registration, etc.

Felt some responsibility at first to spend the money I'd saved, but I'm over that. Don't have to do anything with it if I don't want to (just makes me wish I'd retired earlier).

Have decided against the light sport plane (and hanger) I'd planned on, and now even debating whether to get a boat (and slip) or not.

Right now seems more like work than fun. Wouldn't make sense to buy them only to end up relieved like Dilligaf when get rid of.

LOl, remember that girl you slept with uh 50 years ago. she says your my dad :)

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
I'm 5 1/2 years into it. I set a plan and pretty much stuck to it. I was fortunate to choose careers that provided decent retirement plans. Coast Guard, 14 Active, 14 Reserve. Because it wasn't a Active Duty Retirement, I had to wait for age 60 for the benefits to kick in. So even though I retired from them in 2002, I wouldn't get nuthin till 2015. Based on number of "points" gained, I ended up with about 40% of base pay for an E-8 over 28.

Planned retirement from my SO job also at age 60. Contrary to what one might imagine, Non-California public service retirement isn't a Rolls Royce retirement. I got 50% of my final pay (high 3), but I paid around 7% of my salary into it from day 1. But about 15 years before I retired I started pumping money into a 457 account. Tax deferred, like a 401k, except the employer didn't pay into it.

Wife (same age as me) worked for the Federal Govt. She contributed the max into the Civil Service retirement, plus the max into the Thrift Savings Plan. She worked 2 years past to age 62, to get the max she could, plus she didn't start with them early on and only had about 15 years with them. She retired as a GS-12.

5 years ago, I refinanced to a 15 year loan on our house, for just what we owed, no cash-out. Kept payments the same as for the 30 we had. Pumped money into a Credit Union Money Market account., every chance we got (still do). Don't carry any debt except the house and vehicles. Own the River house Kathy's mom lives in, free and clear.

We aren't "rich", especially by SOCAL standards, but we've got nice things and are bringing in more retired than we were working. (w/ SS thrown into it). The most important thing is medical coverage. MEDICARE and the CG retirement TRICARE back-up, means we pay zero, no co-pays, no deductibles, no nothing on medical, except Part B premiums, that come out of SS. $10 copay for 90 day scripts for me, zero for Kathy as she gets hers through the Indian Hospital.

Go back 25 years and we were living pay-check to paycheck, barely keeping the house out of foreclosure, nothing in savings, <400 FICO, shuffling bills and just hoping that one check wouldn't clear that would overdraw us for ANOTHER month. Dodging credit bureau and repo calls. Only credit card was a Capitol One secured card. Sucked paying interest to use MY OWN money, but it was all we could get. I think back and wonder how we got through it all.

As soon as Kathy's mom goes to that Elks Club open bar in the sky, we're out of here. After the happenings of last week, and my beloved Arizona going blue, Wyoming's looking damn good. My kids' are looking at getting out of Oregon too, so a family compound in the mountains might be the way to go.

We're lucky that our main retirement is perpetual and not reliant on funds saved. As long as the market stays reasonable, Kathy's TSP will stay profitable. We've been pulling from it for over 3 years and only dug $5k into the principle. As we are now, were bringing in about $120k a year and still able to squirrel away 1-2 thou a month. House is below $100,000 balance, $230,000+ value. She's sporting a 2020 Acadia Denali, and I'm in a '19 Silverado. Paid off Pontoon boat. We're both 65 and in above average shape, health wise. We don't have to worry about outgrowing our retirement income. I don't know how we managed it, but whatever we did, I did NOT want to be like my parents, who had to work till they died.

wash11

Reaction score
I'm 5 1/2 years into it. I set a plan and pretty much stuck to it. I was fortunate to choose careers that provided decent retirement plans. Coast Guard, 14 Active, 14 Reserve. Because it wasn't a Active Duty Retirement, I had to wait for age 60 for the benefits to kick in. So even though I retired from them in 2002, I wouldn't get nuthin till 2015. Based on number of "points" gained, I ended up with about 40% of base pay for an E-8 over 28.

Planned retirement from my SO job also at age 60. Contrary to what one might imagine, Non-California public service retirement isn't a Rolls Royce retirement. I got 50% of my final pay (high 3), but I paid around 7% of my salary into it from day 1. But about 15 years before I retired I started pumping money into a 457 account. Tax deferred, like a 401k, except the employer didn't pay into it.

Wife (same age as me) worked for the Federal Govt. She contributed the max into the Civil Service retirement, plus the max into the Thrift Savings Plan. She worked 2 years past to age 62, to get the max she could, plus she didn't start with them early on and only had about 15 years with them. She retired as a GS-12.

5 years ago, I refinanced to a 15 year loan on our house, for just what we owed, no cash-out. Kept payments the same as for the 30 we had. Pumped money into a Credit Union Money Market account., every chance we got (still do). Don't carry any debt except the house and vehicles. Own the River house Kathy's mom lives in, free and clear.

We aren't "rich", especially by SOCAL standards, but we've got nice things and are bringing in more retired than we were working. (w/ SS thrown into it). The most important thing is medical coverage. MEDICARE and the CG retirement TRICARE back-up, means we pay zero, no co-pays, no deductibles, no nothing on medical, except Part B premiums, that come out of SS. $10 copay for 90 day scripts for me, zero for Kathy as she gets hers through the Indian Hospital.

Go back 25 years and we were living pay-check to paycheck, barely keeping the house out of foreclosure, nothing in savings, <400 FICO, shuffling bills and just hoping that one check wouldn't clear that would overdraw us for ANOTHER month. Dodging credit bureau and repo calls. Only credit card was a Capitol One secured card. Sucked paying interest to use MY OWN money, but it was all we could get. I think back and wonder how we got through it all.

As soon as Kathy's mom goes to that Elks Club open bar in the sky, we're out of here. After the happenings of last week, and my beloved Arizona going blue, Wyoming's looking damn good. My kids' are looking at getting out of Oregon too, so a family compound in the mountains might be the way to go.

We're lucky that our main retirement is perpetual and not reliant on funds saved. As long as the market stays reasonable, Kathy's TSP will stay profitable. We've been pulling from it for over 3 years and only dug $5k into the principle. As we are now, were bringing in about $120k a year and still able to squirrel away 1-2 thou a month. House is below $100,000 balance, $230,000+ value. She's sporting a 2020 Acadia Denali, and I'm in a '19 Silverado. Paid off Pontoon boat. We're both 65 and in above average shape, health wise. We don't have to worry about outgrowing our retirement income. I don't know how we managed it, but whatever we did, I did NOT want to be like my parents, who had to work till they died.

Inspiring, real world stuff. Hopefully some of the younger inmates see this. Thank you for the detailed response👍