WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Retractable Awnings-Thoughts?

jbird

Reaction score
looking for more shade off the back patio and first though was to put up retractable awnings. I’ve seen some with wind detection and some that you can adjust the pitch. I’m sure they’re pricing.

Any recommendations on companies I should look at?

Thinking of going full width across the patio and would like the awning to go out 10’-12’
C31B13B6-6EA5-422E-A4AB-D6FAAA46F1A1.jpeg

Singleton

Reaction score
We have an area in our backyard that needs something. I am tempted to use a RV awning setup to accomplish what I need.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
As seen on TV. LOL I’ve always been kind of intrigued by the commercials but don’t know anything about the quality and have never seen one installed.

spectras only

Reaction score
20190602_152440.jpg
20190602_152411.jpg
I have a motorized awning on my upper deck that came with wind sensor. It's 19' and can be pitched like my TT awning. Being the longest one piece before multiple setups required over 19' span. It works awesome. I'll look up the brand.

Last edited:

rrrr

Reaction score
I got estimates a couple of years ago indicating a motorized 12' X 10' will cost around $2,300 installed.

spectras only

Reaction score
How far out do they go ?
I'll go check. I have a deep overhang over my deck and the awning goes past the railing.
19'X7'. When it's pitched down, it works great blocking when the Sun goes down over the mountain peaks.
20190602_153709.jpg

Last edited:

jbird

Reaction score
I have a motorized awning on my upper deck that came with wind sensor. It's 19' and can be pitched like my TT awning. Being the longest one piece before multiple setups required over 19' span. It works awesome. I'll look up the brand.
Did you purchase and install or was it on your home already?
Please let me know the brand when you can. Thanks!

DC-88

Reaction score
As seen on TV. LOL I’ve always been kind of intrigued by the commercials but don’t know anything about the quality and have never seen one installed.
Just did a big remodel near my house that we had prepped for one of these, and I got talked into installing it. It was a 12' er, no problem with 2 guys. I had a 110 outlet ready under the eave with a low profile bubble cover, and the sunsetter came with a long pigtail. I had my electrician throw a shorter low profile pigtail on it which looked and worked much better and fit into the low profile cover. Quality seemed ok , and it did have the wind sensor. We had to stuff this one under an eave with an 8' plate height and it barely fit, but was easy to adjust.

spectras only

Reaction score
I got my pergola from Costco [ it's made here in Penticton by Outdoors living co ] and put it together myself. It came with retractable canopy, manual pull with a rod. Got the solar shade from my son, he saved it from a office reno job, they were going to toss it in the garbage.:rolleyes: Good for me:).
20190602_161337.jpg
20190602_161329.jpg
20190602_161320.jpg
20190602_161311.jpg
20190602_161214.jpg
20190602_161158.jpg

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
Screenshot_20190602-163515_Chrome.jpg

I have always wanted to try the cable shades. In your case I would go all the way over the pool too. You could then pick where to apply shade.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I have motorized 12' wide that extends out 8' in my garage that was a takeout from a home remodel in Belmont Shores that my nephew gave me. I had plans for it but it didnt work out. Canopy is a bit weathered but no holes and works awesome. Even has the wireless remote. It is a medium brown color.
I have some.pics somewhere that I can send you if needed. Thing list for about $3k.
I'm in north OC, it's yours (free) if you want it.

It's a Somfy.
https://www.somfysystems.com/en-us/products/deck-patio

Metropolitanawnings

Reaction score
looking for more shade off the back patio and first though was to put up retractable awnings. I’ve seen some with wind detection and some that you can adjust the pitch. I’m sure they’re pricing.

Any recommendations on companies I should look at?

Thinking of going full width across the patio and would like the awning to go out 10’-12’
View attachment 760309

Hi there I own an awning company in New York so I can be of help.
I see the area looks like at least 25 feet to 35 feet wide depending on exactly how big you want it to be. I saw a lot of recommendations for sunsetter awning which I wouldn't recommend. There prices for a 20 ft x 11 ft awning with a motor is close to $4000 and this doesn't include the wind sensor OR installation. Now most retractable awnings these days have a pitch adjustment on the side that is very easy to adjust. Motorized and wind sensors are add-ons usually but if your going to go out 10 to 12 ft it's more of a need as it's very annoying to turn the awning 10 times to roll it out and in.
Make sure you get am acrylic dyed solution like sunbrella fabric. The Awning frame must have a steel tube that holds the fabric as well. Also Somfy is a motor company that makes the motor and remote.
You will pay a premium for Somfy. Motors which really are over priced as a motor is a motor and one half the price can do the same job easily.
A lot of awnings are made with parts from many different companies.
As I explained A lot of companies will get the fabric from sunbrella and motor from somfy, then get the frame from another company and put it all together to make your awning.
I'm not sure where you live but the wind sensor is usually overkill and not needed.
Also make sure you awning is cassette or at least has a hood to cover the fabric roll so it's not unprotected when it's not in use.
Also watch out for companies that tell you they are using expensive sunbrella fabric but then buy look a likes for half the price and you end up needing to replace the fabric in 3 years for half what you paid for the awning.
Any other questions I would be happy to help.

boatpi

Reaction score
Metro-awing has some excellent points. No one answer or resolution exists a times when it comes to shading. Sometimes two devices are necessary for two different results.

Look at our aircraft alloy extruded aluminum pergola/patio covers and panels shade structures at www.4kaluminum.com

If designed properly it can be made to do this;

1. Over the end of a end beam extend 2" X 2" or 2" X 4" slats (square aluminum) as much as 5'+ over a pool, or span the entire pool width up to 20'-24' wide depending on engineers approval.

2. Depending on spacing you get up to 85% shade, or more if you desire.

3. NEVER worry about wind or the sun damaging the structure as it is engineered to a 130 MPH wind standard and powder coat has a 20 year guarantee. Just hose it off, never paint or replace any part, no screws showing.

By the end of this week I will have 57,000 pounds of material in stock. You are welcome to e mail me for specifics or come by the warehouse in Las Vegas.

I will be around Las Vegas for a soft opening all month. The engineer is just 2 miles away with a quick low set price turnaround.

More to follow but through the end of August all RDP members get contractors pricing.

[email protected]

jbird

Reaction score
I see the area looks like at least 25 feet to 35 feet wide depending on exactly how big you want it to be. I saw a lot of recommendations for sunsetter awning which I wouldn't recommend. There prices for a 20 ft x 11 ft awning with a motor is close to $4000 and this doesn't include the wind sensor OR installation. Now most retractable awnings these days have a pitch adjustment on the side that is very easy to adjust. Motorized and wind sensors are add-ons usually but if your going to go out 10 to 12 ft it's more of a need as it's very annoying to turn the awning 10 times to roll it out and in.
Make sure you get am acrylic dyed solution like sunbrella fabric. The Awning frame must have a steel tube that holds the fabric as well. Also Somfy is a motor company that makes the motor and remote.
You will pay a premium for Somfy. Motors which really are over priced as a motor is a motor and one half the price can do the same job easily.
As I explained A lot of companies will get the fabric from sunbrella and motor from somfy, then get the frame from another company and put it all together to make your awning.
I'm not sure where you live but the wind sensor is usually overkill and not needed.
Also make sure you awning is cassette or at least has a hood to cover the fabric roll so it's not unprotected when it's not in use.
Also watch out for companies that tell you they are using expensive sunbrella fabric but then buy look a likes for half the price and you end up needing to replace the fabric in 3 years for half what you paid for the awning.
Any other questions I would be happy

I appreciate you sharing the info. All good points and things to check before I buy. I found your website and will be reaching out as I have a few more questions. Thanks

jbird

Reaction score
Metro-awing has some excellent points. No one answer or resolution exists a times when it comes to shading. Sometimes two devices are necessary for two different results.

Look at our aircraft alloy extruded aluminum pergola/patio covers and panels shade structures at www.4kaluminum.com

If designed properly it can be made to do this;

1. Over the end of a end beam extend 2" X 2" or 2" X 4" slats (square aluminum) as much as 5'+ over a pool, or span the entire pool width up to 20'-24' wide depending on engineers approval.

2. Depending on spacing you get up to 85% shade, or more if you desire.

3. NEVER worry about wind or the sun damaging the structure as it is engineered to a 130 MPH wind standard and powder coat has a 20 year guarantee. Just hose it off, never paint or replace any part, no screws showing.

By the end of this week I will have 57,000 pounds of material in stock. You are welcome to e mail me for specifics or come by the warehouse in Las Vegas.

I will be around Las Vegas for a soft opening all month. The engineer is just 2 miles away with a quick low set price turnaround.

More to follow but through the end of August all RDP members get contractors pricing.

[email protected]

Hey BPI

I’ve been following your other posts and look at your website a couple weeks back. Glad to see the new business is launching. I wouldn’t mind entertaining some pricing versus the retractable awnings.

Really looking at all options at this point. Just want more shade!

boatpi

Reaction score
Another problem that I see could be an issue with a retractable on your house, height. If it mounts just under the facia you need to figure out the drop as it extends as almost all drop. So if the facia is 9' it could hang way too low when extended, and if you have a view, you could loose that too.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
If he has no interest in it I could surely use it here in Parker. Shade is always in short supply. :D

I have motorized 12' wide that extends out 8' in my garage that was a takeout from a home remodel in Belmont Shores that my nephew gave me. I had plans for it but it didnt work out. Canopy is a bit weathered but no holes and works awesome. Even has the wireless remote. It is a medium brown color.
I have some.pics somewhere that I can send you if needed. Thing list for about $3k.

It's a Somfy.
https://www.somfysystems.com/en-us/products/deck-patio

boatpi

Reaction score
J Bird, come up with a design/drawing and e mail to me with your phone, [email protected]
As a note posts are 8', 10' and 12' tall, most other pieces are 10-20'.
Let me know when to call (evening) and I will call to discuss options/pricing.

AEA

Reaction score

Can you further explain why you do not like the Sunsetter?

jbird

Reaction score
J Bird, come up with a design/drawing and e mail to me with your phone, [email protected]
As a note posts are 8', 10' and 12' tall, most other pieces are 10-20'.
Let me know when to call (evening) and I will call to discuss options/pricing.
I’ll email you tonight or in the morning. Thanks

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
I have motorized 12' wide that extends out 8' in my garage that was a takeout from a home remodel in Belmont Shores that my nephew gave me. I had plans for it but it didn't work out. Canopy is a bit weathered but no holes and works awesome. Even has the wireless remote. It is a medium brown color.

Dave, thanks for throwing a little shade my way! :)

IMG_7442.JPG