WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RF 95 Van Diemen FC 2000 question for CDog/RCMike

spectras only

Reaction score
Cdog or RCMike. did you guys seen this car at COTA before. Car is for sale here in BC, owned by racer at Mission Raceway. He got it from Texas two years ago He wants out of Formula racing. > https://www.racing.ca/?section=view...oCxcT_Fupu9_ciBEdZNHS_4SgX8G3AfhzTXRoWxqYg3Ys

Car in this picture was taken just before arrived in Texas with number 45 on the nose. It has number 47 now
View attachment 961086
5269a4d7-a4d2-4578-a543-22eee0272f92.png

Cdog

Reaction score
I don’t personally know the car but a good friend of mine races formula continental and he might now I’ll ask him.

spectras only

Reaction score
Son wants it because of the power upgrade from a Formula 1600. My friends have the Formula BMW's that are fast and this Continental could keep up with them. My son pretty much can match their track time when he borrows their cars.
We have about 28 people in the Formula group that we'll enjoy more running with than the GTU class my son has with his S2000 Honda.

Cdog

Reaction score
Son wants it because of the power upgrade from a Formula 1600. My friends have the Formula BMW's that are fast and this Continental could keep up with them. My son pretty much can match their track time when he borrows their cars.
We have about 28 people in the Formula group that we'll enjoy more running with than the GTU class my son has with his S2000 Honda.

Pinto engine or vtech?

Cdog

Reaction score
Pinto. We like the FC 2000 because it has aero. The Van Diemen and Crossle I drive occasionally don't have aeros.

View attachment 961118

Sorry I have not been able to look at the ad because I’ve been driving around getting ready to leave tomorrow to auto club speedway Fontana Ca for the SCCA season opener. I know the VTEC cars are quite a bit faster than the Pinto cars at Buttonwillow. Here in the US they can run SCCA and a vintage association if the car under a certain chassis number. I was also told they are going to a spec tire this year.

My buddy Gray still has his Pinto FC, he just bought a formula Enterprise 2 so he can race with me. he has extensive knowledge of the formula continental class I will ask him about that car. It may take a couple days because he is a captain for an oil rig and just left Monday so we can only communicate via email.

Cheers!

spectras only

Reaction score
Looks like we're picking up the car shortly. My buddy met the guy today to check the car out for us. It turned out he actually knew the seller through the Mission Raceway events. We' re getting it for ca 11K US. Can't wait to drive it in April, enough time to sort out a few issues that aren't major, before. Funny thing is, many open wheel guys selling/giving up on them before wrecking it at Mission that has a narrow 16' wide track with a lot of concrete walls. Our track at Area27 is superior to most tracks in Canada. We have good run offs and wide tracks with very few concrete walls with tires.
Here's a video from COTA

Last edited:

Cdog

Reaction score
awesome bud! I can’t wait to go back to Cota next month in my spec racer Ford.

Congrats!!

rrrr

Reaction score
I envy you guys. If I could get a little more healthy I could go back to work at Nearburg's shop. There's nuthin cooler than turning wrenches on a 917 or a Kremer 935 and lighting it off.

Last edited:

spectras only

Reaction score
^^^
Hoping my buddy gets finally finish his 904 so I could get my hands on the wheel at area27

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Sorry rcmike has been absent, currently getting the cars ready for the season.

The Ginetta is getting the setup baseline in as we speak, while my 2002 is being updated from a single downdraft BSL to a dual side draft BSedan, part of that included putting on fenders for the extra inch of effective tire and the first new paint in many years.

that said neither of us know much about these formula cars that you are talking about, CDog has your back there.

what do you know about the “Ridge”, we have been given an event there to consider this year

spectras only

Reaction score
CDog ,congrats to the win.
We got our toy home today. S2000 will be for sale shortly. Can't wait for 1st of April
FC2000.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
For the clueless, are these two formula cars similar in horsepower, speed, track times etc. ? I see Cdog's has Mazda on the nose, I believe the new toy Formula C car has a Pinto engine. Cdog's appears more modern, but for me it's been many years since I've followed any SCCA type racing or any car racing for that matter.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Great meeting you today Corey, great run. That had to be a hell of a last lap!

spectras only

Reaction score
For the clueless, are these two formula cars similar in horsepower, speed, track times etc. ? I see Cdog's has Mazda on the nose, I believe the new toy Formula C car has a Pinto engine. Cdog's appears more modern, but for me it's been many years since I've followed any SCCA type racing or any car racing for that matter.
CDog's car is newer with Mazda engine, most likely with a sequental 6 spd and I think it has about 190 HP. Ours is a Pinto engine with 4 spd and has about 180 HP. Guy told us he has a custom grind cam in it now, but not having a dyno sheet with, max HP is unknown as of now. We got extra gears to play with for our longer straights.

Taboma

Reaction score
CDog's car is newer with Mazda engine and I think it has about 190 HP. Ours is a Pinto engine and has about 180 HP. Guy told us he has a custom grind cam in it now, but not having a dyno sheet with, max HP is unknown as of now.

So similar experience performance wise then. I'm really curious about the wheels that seem to be held on with a large hairpin cotter pin, never seen or at least noticed that before.

spectras only

Reaction score
So similar experience performance wise then. I'm really curious about the wheels that seem to be held on with a large hairpin cotter pin, never seen or at least noticed that before.
The pin is a safety only, wheel hubs are pretty standard on all Formula series. Older formula Fords have lugs. Every track is different , so gears sets must be tested for them. Our car was raced at Mission Raceway that's a short track with short straights. Our track Area27 has four longer straights , turn1 to turn2 is 1/2 mile long so we need taller gear with 4 spd box.

Formula Ford like this 1969 Merlyn 11A has a four bolt pattern. I love the old school Formula Fords.
DaveFairchild-Merlyn-11A-AA.jpg

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
The pin is a safety only, wheel hubs are pretty standard on all Formula series. Older formula Fords have lugs. Every track is different , so gears sets must be tested for them. Our car was raced at Mission Raceway that's a short track with short straights. Our track Area27 has four longer straights , turn1 to turn2 is 1/2 mile long so we need taller gear with 4 spd box.

Thanks for explaining the "Safety" pin, I kept looking at that wondering if those were the primary keeper of the wheels. :oops: Looking forward to watching some videos, looks like a fun car that shouldn't be to hard on the wallet maintenance wise.

spectras only

Reaction score
Thanks for explaining the "Safety" pin, I kept looking at that wondering if those were the primary keeper of the wheels. :oops: Looking forward to watching some videos, looks like a fun car that shouldn't be to hard on the wallet maintenance wise.
Few friends have the Formula BMW's, those are carbon fiber bodies.
Expensive to repair if gets wrecked. The steel chassies cars can be fixed if you got the tools, yourself. ;)

spectras only

Reaction score
Check this out. 1L Ecoboost Formula car
With power in the car dialed up to 202 horsepower, the FF1 managed to lap the ‘Ring in a time of just 7:22, or about three whole seconds faster than a Ferrari Enzo, when driven by racing driver Nick Tandy.

Cdog

Reaction score

So my car the Formula Enterprise 2 is the second generation of the car. Originally came out in the early 2000’s as a spec formula car. The idea is everyone has the same equipment so it comes down to driver & set up. Same engine, 6 speed sequential no lift shift trans, same brakes, control arms etc....

It’s the last of the tube frame cars. Everything post this car is and will be carbon fiber tubs.

IE: F4 & F3. F4 is the only logical next car to go to for me. It’s FIA certified which is serious cool factor. But I ran 4 seconds faster at Cal Speedway in my FE2 than the F4 guys in November.

The Formula Continentals have several generations. The newest Vtech engines which are close to the FE2, about 1-2 seconds slower. Then the pinto engines which can get very pricey to build. Older chassis thatcan run both vintage & SCCA events & newer chassis that can only run the current series/SCCA etc..

Im in deep with the SCCA spec classes due to the affordability, parts, support & always having someone to race in equal equipment.

The wheels are center hub like you see on a gt3 Porsche or Indy car. The pin is a safety device that keeps the center lug from backing out.

D947C54C-2965-4093-B7DD-D0F5A7D75F78.jpeg
A5D19DED-E6DD-4801-8B05-CC32A116FBDD.jpeg
66716AAB-CE59-4CA0-8CA4-AA5E7DDB77EB.jpeg
07E497BC-18F0-42D5-8643-2D11BEF7C051.jpeg
021847C7-1325-4A36-AE48-3F7771C217D1.jpeg
CFCC8833-E673-4B31-A381-98BB164EC927.jpeg

Taboma

Reaction score
Thanks guys, appreciate the fun info and Cory, thanks for the pics, very cool car and great job with your win. !! Reading about this jarred loose an old memory from the lake 80's, early 90's.
My best buddy's (RIP) brother is Bill Fickling, who founded and later sold Swift Engineering out of San Clemente. I guess he still has P1 racing and at 70 is till active in the sport. If I recall, Swift engineered and built Formula cars were pretty popular back in the day.

Mikes56

Reaction score
Morning Cory, sorry we couldn’t make it on Friday. I’m glad the weekend went well for you.

I have a similiar toy hauler. How do you get the car inside with it being so low? Long ramps? Loading wheels that you swap out on the car? Do you pull it in with a winch inside the trailer?

Cdog

Reaction score
Morning Cory, sorry we couldn’t make it on Friday. I’m glad the weekend went well for you.

I have a similiar toy hauler. How do you get the car inside with it being so low? Long ramps? Loading wheels that you swap out on the car? Do you pull it in with a winch inside the trailer?

Extend the front landing gear all the way up, 11inch tall race ramps & I bought the largest set of transport wheels I could find. It just taps the bottom as I pull out of the trailer.

CD2214E3-1AAD-45B0-905A-C14070FA9A3B.jpeg
87D7F557-7A7B-4A2D-BCF6-36DEBC9198A8.jpeg

Taboma

Reaction score
Extend the front landing gear all the way up, 11inch tall race ramps & I bought the largest set of transport wheels I could find. It just taps the bottom as I pull out of the trailer.

View attachment 962997 View attachment 962998

Thanks for explaining what those tires and wheels are for. Saw a pic you posted recently with these tires and I was thinking WTF ??????? 😂

Cdog

Reaction score
Thanks guys, appreciate the fun info and Cory, thanks for the pics, very cool car and great job with your win. !! Reading about this jarred loose an old memory from the lake 80's, early 90's.
My best buddy's (RIP) brother is Bill Fickling, who founded and later sold Swift Engineering out of San Clemente. I guess he still has P1 racing and at 70 is till active in the sport. If I recall, Swift engineered and built Formula cars were pretty popular back in the day.

very cool! So my race group is generically called big bore open wheel which includes P1, P2, FE2, FC & FX. The local CSR for CA is Bull dog/Jason. He has 1 or 2 swifts he takes care of for arrive & drive customers. Freaking awesome cars. Very fast! The P1 yesterday did a 1:36 where my best lap was a low 1:40.

P1’s are the fastest race group in SCCA. FE2 is the second.

Cdog

Reaction score
That's friggin' awesome. Winning in a spec series like FE2 requires car and driver to be at the peak of performance, and that's not easy to do. Salute!

thank you! So this guy TJ is a Havasu guy too. He’s very low profile. I don’t think he’s on here.

This guy has been running spec racer for two decades. Won Srf3 yesterday, poled at the run offs in Srf3 at Road America and led all but two laps. He’s a contender to win in any race anywhere. Great guy too.

I do all my own set up & my pit guy is my buddy Chad who I grew up with. We’re considered privateers. To top it off yesterday was my 44th birthday & I absolutely earned that one.

Cheers!

Taboma

Reaction score
very cool! So my race group is generically called big bore open wheel which includes P1, P2, FE2, FC & FX. The local CSR for CA is Bull dog/Jason. He has 1 or 2 swifts he takes care of for arrive & drive customers. Freaking awesome cars. Very fast! The P1 yesterday did a 1:36 where my best lap was a low 1:40.

P1’s are the fastest race group in SCCA. FE2 is the second.

I recall my buddy talking about the Swift "Arrive and drive" program way back when. When my buddy lived and worked in San Diego, I was always wanting to hook up with him on a weekend and go visit his Bro's shop. Shit happens, life speeds by and we never did it. Then buddy moved to Georgia, brother sold the business and it just became a fading memory.
Every now and then a thread or post revives an old fun memory. 👍

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
So are they really going to take that track away? It looks like a good track.

spectras only

Reaction score
Cdog, where's the fuel filler located on your FC2000? Ours is on the right side front of the headers. Should we move the filler to the cold side? Don't understand why it is on the hot side.

Cdog

Reaction score
Cdog, where's the fuel filler located on your FC2000? Ours is on the right side front of the headers. Should we move the filler to the cold side? Don't understand why it is on the hot side.

I would move it. Hot fuel = less power. Mine is on the intake side.

spectras only

Reaction score
The fuel cell is sitting low, only the filler tube is my concern if I need to re fill the tank while the engine/headers are hot.. Do you have a picture of the filler tube on the cold side?