WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

rhino 660 top speed

LomitaBob

Reaction score
I have an 08 rhino 660 carbureted. I have no clue whats been done to it besides the k&n and exhaust. it has a full cage and high back prp seats. bigger than stock wheels, Baja style front bumper and a metal ( tin) roof. im sure its a bit heavier then stock. best I saw was about 49mph and I may have been going down a slight hill. I seemed to be in the high 40's on flat ground

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
I have an 08 rhino 660 carbureted. I have no clue whats been done to it besides the k&n and exhaust. it has a full cage and high back prp seats. bigger than stock wheels, Baja style front bumper and a metal ( tin) roof. im sure its a bit heavier then stock. best I saw was about 49mph and I may have been going down a slight hill. I seemed to be in the high 40's on flat ground

If it's an 08 it should be EFI. That was the 1st year they offered it. Stock it will do 41mph. A clutch sheeve mod will make it go 50-51.

ultra26shadow

Reaction score

Aren't the 08's and newer fuel injected? The 660's are typically faster from what I hear compared to the 700's FI. You should be at mid 40's with a stock rhino. Add a exhaust and tune and sheave and be done

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
660s did not come with EFI.

The 660 was a slug with no mods, and mods turned it into a grenade! Sell it and buy a used 700. You'll be a lot happier that way. ;)

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
:eek: ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tap That Ass

Last edited by a moderator:

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
660s did not come with EFI.

The 660 was a slug with no mods, and mods turned it into a grenade! Sell it and buy a used 700. You'll be a lot happier that way. ;)

My 660 with mild mods crushes my brothers 700 and has been pretty dam bulletproof. And I beat it like a red headed step child. :D

LomitaBob

Reaction score
maybe its an 07 I don't know..... I looked at like 400 of them before I bought mine

I was more or less trying to get an idea of whats been done to it ( its new to us ). I think its fast enough for what it is. the only time I went more than 30 was when I was lucky enough to go alone. my wife just like to put and I have a 2 year old so we just cruised with him

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
At everywhere. We've been up in big bear a few times. I'm a little fat up there but still make him look silly.

Something is wrong with this picture. He have real tall tires or something?

Anything carbed won't even run over 9600ft. Ask me how I know. :mad:

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Something is wrong with this picture. He have real tall tires or something?

Anything carbed won't even run over 9600ft. Ask me how I know. :mad:

Bone stock. Original tires. All he has is a 4 seat cage. I have bigger tires. Mid travel heavy cage etc. the 660's tuned right run. I have spent many trips up in Gorman, Frazier, big bear and lake arrowhead. Mine has always ran great in the higher altitude.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
That's definitely fast in a Rhino......They're pretty narrow to be going that fast (even with Long Travel) :thumbup::thumbup:

Mine is squirrely as shit over 50.......I get 56 out of my 08 (700 EFI flat out), but then again mine is turbocharged!!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Bone stock. Original tires. All he has is a 4 seat cage. I have bigger tires. Mid travel heavy cage etc. the 660's tuned right run. I have spent many trips up in Gorman, Frazier, big bear and lake arrowhead. Mine has always ran great in the higher altitude.

Nice. Knowing you, I'm sure you did all the homework.

Quit being a dick and find out what's wrong with his ride! You know it should run better than that. :p

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
My 700 runs mid 60s 42 when it was stock.m. And has been reliable other than some belt issues I had last season. Do not use anything tie than the stock Yamaha belt in these things.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Nice. Knowing you, I'm sure you did all the homework.

Quit being a dick and find out what's wrong with his ride! You know it should run better than that. :p

All my brothers has is a sheave with a duners spring to give it a little better downshift climbing hills. It's runs like a stock 700 should. Just not as good as a well tuned 660. ;)

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score

What exhaust is on it? Does it have an aftermarket CDI? More than likely its not jetted right. The 660's must be jetted perfect to make them run right with intake and exhaust mods. If not you'll actually lose power with them. Take it to the pro shop. Spend the $200 for a dyno tune. You won't regret it trust me.

LomitaBob

Reaction score
What exhaust is on it? Does it have an aftermarket CDI? More than likely its not jetted right. The 660's must be jetted perfect to make them run right with intake and exhaust mods. If not you'll actually lose power with them. Take it to the pro shop. Spend the $200 for a dyno tune. You won't regret it trust me.

I haven't even taken the seats off to look at the motor. I saw the big ass air filter sticking out behind the drivers seat and that's how I know it has a k&N. today or tomorrow I will pull it apart to clean everything and see what I can.

where is that shop?

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I haven't even taken the seats off to look at the motor. I saw the big ass air filter sticking out behind the drivers seat and that's how I know it has a k&N. today or tomorrow I will pull it apart to clean everything and see what I can.

where is that shop?

The filter behind the seat isn't for the engine. That's the belt intake. That filter keeps the dust out of the clutch. On a 660 the air filter is under the center console. The pro shop is in Stanton.

Last edited:

LowRiver2

Reaction score
It should be able to do low 50's easily if tuned/jetted right. It's a bit of a drive but I'll spam John at Proshop here because he get's results. He's had rhinos since inception and has a dyno to show you what it's actually doing. A clutch kit/Ron Woods pipe/Dynatek box really helped my 660 for the dunes.

On another note, anyone in this thread want a stock CDI box for a 660? I'm about to throw it in the recycling bin/lol.

LowRiver2

Reaction score

Just posted after you,
X2

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
All my brothers has is a sheave with a duners spring to give it a little better downshift climbing hills. It's runs like a stock 700 should. Just not as good as a well tuned 660. ;)

Yeah yeah. And your boat is bone stock too...

:rolleyes:D

GET SOME

Reaction score
My Rhino is 100% bone stock minus bolt on mods. Only thing ever apart on the engine itself was valve covers to adjust the valves. ;)

He has the beast of rhinos.. Some times you just get lucky..
Pro shop does one hell of a time.. Best $200 I have spent..

GET SOME

Reaction score
I think we need a race... I've had bills rhino up too 75 ... On my trailer..

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I think we need a race... I've had bills rhino up too 75 ... On my trailer..

Mines a heavy family hauler.
Very heavy cage
Back seat.
Full stereo
Extra batteries.

Had to do some minor engine work just so it can get out of its own way.

LomitaBob

Reaction score
so I pulled the seats and spent 3 hours washing the bike. found a dynatek cdi ( I think, had a few beers by the time I started checking it all out ) K&N intake, im guessing by the big ass aftermarket filter on the CVT that it has clutch / sheve work done, and it has a big ass stainless exhaust, the name of which I cant remember to save my life.

Im guessing the loss of top end is from the weight of the full cage (cooler rack and the whole 9) the bumper, the giant roof which im sure doesn't help the air flow, and my big butt. I am gonna take it down to the ProShop when we get our trailer back from service. we found a bunch of outlets that don't work and a leaky sink on our first trip out :(

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The fastest you can see is around 63-65...you simply run out of revs at that point.

A great mod is a duner's spring...it acts like a higher-stall torque converter, allowing your engine to spin a bit faster before the clutch engages.

If you run a CVT filter, make sure you beat the dust off of it often. If it gets plugged up even a little, you restrict airflow and you'll start to cook things. Most guys don't run a filter for this reason.