WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ring Doorbell Install

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
So Sunday, I'm installing a ring doorbell at the Havasu house.

The instructions claim that you have to add this jumper cable on the chime inside to disable the chime and make sure the Ring Doorbell has power.

ring-44500525-Wired-Doorbell-fig3.jpg

Well my chime is brand new and had some small spring terminal blocks, not the blocks with screws shown above. So I cut off the fork connectors, strip the jumper cable, and put it in the terminal blocks. Chime starts going off constantly. I take off the jumper cable and put it in my pocket.

I go back to the Ring Doorbell, hook it up, and everything works fine. The chime doesn't go off when you push the Ring Doorbell. I ordered a Ring Chime that will be connected via WIFI to the doorbell.

Question: Is there any issue with not using the jumper cable?

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
I didn’t use a jumper…. Been working fine for years…. I’m thinking 8? I t think they all do the WiFi … best of luck

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I do not remember having to use a jumper either. Mine has also been working fine for years.
Sorry , i know no help....good luck

Nordie

Reaction score
I never used the jumper, just hooked up the 2 wires, it's worked fine the entire time. I do recall something about analog and digital, maybe that makes a difference. Mine is the old school low voltage stuff.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

The instructions claim that you have to add this jumper cable on the chime inside to disable the chime and make sure the Ring Doorbell has power.

View attachment 1156643

Well my chime is brand new and had some small spring terminal blocks, not the blocks with screws shown above. So I cut off the fork connectors, strip the jumper cable, and put it in the terminal blocks. Chime starts going off constantly. I take off the jumper cable and put it in my pocket.

I go back to the Ring Doorbell, hook it up, and everything works fine. The chime doesn't go off when you push the Ring Doorbell. I ordered a Ring Chime that will be connected via WIFI to the doorbell.

have had one short the chime out, it was kind of gnarly actually as it melted the plastic etc. When I do them on the side now or in a rental I pull the chime & go straight to the transformer then use a cover plate for the junction box. No reason to leave the chime. You can get a plug in chime that will tie into the wifi if you wish.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
have had one short the chime out, it was kind of gnarly actually as it melted the plastic etc. When I do them on the side now or in a rental I pull the chime & go straight to the transformer then use a cover plate for the junction box. No reason to leave the chime. You can get a plug in chime that will tie into the wifi if you wish.
Well shit, I don't know how to go straight to the transformer 😅

Wifi chime showed up at the house yesterday, so I'm good to go there.

I have Havasu Wiring coming out for some other items on Friday. I'll ask them.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Well shit, I don't know how to go straight to the transformer 😅

Wifi chime showed up at the house yesterday, so I'm good to go there.

I have Havasu Wiring coming out for some other items on Friday. I'll ask them.
Just unscrew the Chime from the wall. Behind it will be a box with the transformer inside in most cases.

Sounds like a good plan

Icky

Reaction score
If I recall correctly I had to add something to my existing doorbell for it to work

buck35

Reaction score
I don't even even have a key , but it does snow here. And a big doggy too.

badluck

Reaction score
My old ring rang the chime fine. I eventually had to install a new one and the chime hasn’t worked since. I’ll be going into the settings today!

traquer

Reaction score
My first ring died after 2 months, POS. The second one is the larger one with battery backup, and this one works a bit differently as the button provides a direct connection to the chime so it works even if you don't set up the wifi stuff first.

Good luck! It's cool having one when you're working around the house and leave things unlocked you know no one can come in without you knowing about it

badluck

Reaction score

View attachment 1156643

What is the reason for the jumper?

RVRKID

Reaction score
My old ring rang the chime fine. I eventually had to install a new one and the chime hasn’t worked since. I’ll be going into the settings today!
My chime stopped working as well and I couldn't find it in the app to turn on and off BUT after reading this thread I paired it with my Alexa and it now rings to that and you can pick a Chime.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Back tracking a little. I replaced my normal doorbell with the ring. My phone (after set up) would alert me. My original house doorbell also rang when the door bell was used. My Alexa also alerts me when someone is at the door. Works great when in the backyard.
Never did I have to do a jumper though. Hooked the two wires up by the front door and had power and everything worked fine