WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RIP Eddie Van Halen

bonesfab

Reaction score
Rip Eddie. I am very fortunate that I got to hang out with him and hear some of the crazy stories straight from the source. Last time I saw him he was not looking good. Rip my friend and now you really are a rock god.
6E6B17CF-29EB-41E7-9FAB-8462876AC479.jpeg
B55D589E-55A7-493A-8CA2-64D1E7BB5F96.jpeg
707BE890-0F17-4D09-AC3A-116E72942F6B.jpeg
5192D36B-309F-435F-88D6-94643E7F2DAC.jpeg

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Definitely ahead of his time and an innovator. Rest in Peace.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Fuck Cancer.
R.I.P Edward Lodewijk Van Halen.
I never went to a V/H concert but I wore out many albums and tapes. It was nice when CD's came out around 83.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
RIP.

In the eighties, my friend was lucky enough to be Eddie’s roommate for 90 days while they were both in rehab at the Betty Ford Clinic together. I am not sure which one of them was the bigger bad influence on each other, but they remained very good friends for many years.

C-2

Reaction score
Every Friday or Saturday in high school, whenever you heard one of Eddie's countless, awesome riffs - you just knew you were in for a kick-ass good time. ALWAYS.

Godspeed and thanks for the decades of great music.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I can’t believe the old memories that this has brought up today. I’m really sad about it. My wife was like, are you crying??? Most celebrities pass and you say damn, another good one. VH for me was when I was in my teens, and made such an impression on me.

Best video ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Wow... a sad day.
Women in love was up there for me.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Wow, VH was one of those groups I'd listen to when I was little. As I got older, I listened to more "angry" music...probably because I was an angry person...but hearing their music now reminds me of good times in my youth. Brings a smile...

2020 really does suck...

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Fair Warning is my swan song album...14 in my sister's boyfriend's 69 Z/28 (who was 20) ripping off 100yrd Slideways drifts while blasting Van Halen.....

Fell in love and never fell out....

My sister eventually married a guitarist who went to high school with them as they formed the OG band for the first time....

He let me listen to old tape recordings of them playing at high school parties....huge fan himself!

LIfe is so bizarre sometimes, the world seems so huge, yet so many things seem to cross connect. Maybe I was just born under the right star.

RIP Eddie...you made more pivotal memories with your music in my life than practically any other band...Thank You!

KevinR

Reaction score
Such an amazing guitarist and iconic band. Wow. Hard to hear this.

I was fortunate to first see VH in 73 or 74 in our high school gym. They played after a homecoming football game. The VH Bros were from Pasadena and their bassist, Michael Anthony went to my school, Arcadia.

River Runnin

Reaction score
I was on a plane back from Florida. I met Darrell Hanna going for Splash, Eddie had to sit in the first row of coach with a ticketed seat for that guitar shown above. He bummed a smoke, gave me a set of headphones to put on and hammered out a pretty good rip! -- The funny part is! I didn't have any idea who the fuck he was! -- Until I was de-planed. My wife (picking me up) and I were at baggage claim when Trunk, after Trunk, after Trunk! at least half dozen, when Eddie and his crew wheeled out! -- Even got a "Thanks for the smoke man" as he passed by! -- She say's "you know who that was don't you? .... Not until I seen his name ALL OVER them Trunks! 😁

Elway

Reaction score
Such an amazing guitarist and iconic band. Wow. Hard to hear this.

I was fortunate to first see VH in 73 or 74 in our high school gym. They played after a homecoming football game. The VH Bros were from Pasadena and their bassist, Michael Anthony went to my school, Arcadia.

So good. I’m an Arcadia Apache too; my memories start with a backyard party at a house on Singingwood where they were jamming. RIP EVH

The Prisoner

Reaction score
What to do:
get beverages of choice
put amp to 11
play Sunday Afternoon in the Park/one foot out the door
Romeos Delight
Sinners Swing
Hear About it Later
enjoy ;)

wallnutz

Reaction score
Unchained one of the first rock songs I learned on the guitar.RIP Eddie.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
RIP Edward.
I just watched a doc on him and the group last week. I also grew up with VH from day one to the last day.
First saw them at the US festival when my buddy won a trip for 2 on the radio station in Alaska.
As drunk as they all were on that stage, every member seemingly playing or singing a different song, I was still blown away by Edwards guitar. I’d never seen anything like that that before.

That band was His period.

Last edited:

TrollerDave

Reaction score
So many great songs and riffs. Amazing musician and guitar player.
5150 is one of my favorite songs

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
RIP Edward.
I just watched a doc on him and the group last week. I also grew up with VH from day one to the last day.
First saw them at the US festival when my buddy won a trip for 2 on the radio station in Alaska.
As drunk as they all were on that stage, every member seemingly playing or singing a different song, I was still blown away by Edwards guitar. I’d never seen anything unlike that that before.

That band was His period.

There was magic in the band when they were making the first 4 albums....

Diamond Dave brought something destructive and seducing to the band, it eventually drove them apart, but man....it was stellar when they were on it.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I did shed a couple tears today. KLOS has been playing VH all day long. I hope they do it for the rest of the week...

In HS, I remembered seeing those fools at backyard parties. They never lasted long cause their music was SO FUCKING LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then after that, they would do small concerts at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium. They would have a band in each corner that got to play full blast for awhile. VH was one of those bands. All I could think at the time was, these guys suck balls, but man they are REALLY LOUD!!!!!! lol

Those guys were the soundtrack for my life growing up. And even after! When the video for Right Now came it, I thought it was the best music video I had ever seen. Actually I still think it is to this day. It's probably my all time favorite music vid.

So many songs. So many memories. It's tough to know Eddie is gone. I grew up with him. It reminds me my time is now short...

RIP Mr Van Halen. Thank for all of the awesome memories. You are without a doubt, one of the greatest guitar players of all time.

🍻

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
RIP Eddie. Those early albums were something magical. Even the ones through Balance were badass. The deep tracks were plenty and stellar. He shredded on guitar. The ultimate river music. Keep shredding Eddie.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Eddie playing Eruption with an extended guitar solo. I saw this video a few weeks ago. It's the best guitar solo in have ever heard. It really shows his level of expertise.

Sent From Tapatalk

The Prisoner

Reaction score
Eddie playing Eruption with an extended guitar solo. I saw this video a few weeks ago. It's the best guitar solo in have ever heard. It really shows his level of expertise.

Sent From Tapatalk
I‘ll check that out. I also love the Live Without a Net DVD. There’s only one way to rock was a kick ass opening and Alex‘s drum sounds were great. He had those Roland electronic ones.

SHOCKtheMONKEY

Reaction score
I watched an Instagram live show this evening where the host was telling a story of Michael Jackson calling him on the phone to do the guitar solo on Beat It and he keeps hanging up on him. Finally convinced it's the real MJ he agrees, goes to the studio and knocks out the solo in two takes. EVH does the solo for free and never gets a dime for it.
At that time Van Halen's 1984 album is rising up the charts. Goes all the way to number two... Only to be beat out by MJ's Thriller... LOL
David Lee Roth got super pissed...

Last edited:

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Only time I saw Van Halen live was on Hollywood Boulevard five or six years ago when they blocked off the street for them... I rode my motorcycle down there ...Can’t remember what the occasion was but Eddie’s work was great...
...I didn’t grow up with Van Halen as my roots were almost a decade earlier but I get them and particularly Eddie... Rest In Peace young man...

Water Romper

Reaction score
It wouldn't be a good day parked at the Havi Channel if there wasn't a boat playing VH somewhere....The end of an era. Thank goodness for CD's and you tube to keep his memory alive.