WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RIP Eddie Van Halen

sprintcvx

Reaction score
RIP Eddie😟 Graduating in 1982 Van Halen was a huge part of our lives. Hearing the news yesterday my wife went into her bag of old concert shirts and pulled out a VH '81 World Tour shirt to wear to the store last night.
Eddie Van Halen.jpg

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Only saw them once, in ‘88 at the Monsters of Rock and it was the first tour with Sammy.

I wish I’d seen them with Dave. I know some folks (prolly more than a few inmates, I’m guessing) who saw them playing backyard high school parties when they were just starting out. That would’ve been epic...

IMG_5478.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Captain Dan

Reaction score
I saw Van Halen for their first world tour at the San Diego Sports Arena in 1978 (Van Halen 1). They didn't sell out, it was only half-arena.. That changed quickly.

Last edited:

GETBOATS

Reaction score
Van Halen was and still is RIVER! to me. Buddy and I twice a month in the early 80's Van Halen could be heard at Echo any time of day or night. yea we were those guys :p over and over and over..................listen to it now headed to Parker, gotta be careful though, speeds can get up there, very motivating music for sure! band was not the same when Roth left.

GETBOATS

Reaction score
As a matter of fact, if you listen closely, you can hear Val Halen clearly. LOL and yea we did clean up! always brought a rake and shovel. 1981 second to last tree upriver from the launch ramp at Echo Lodge. back in the day you were lucky if you got a spot with a picnic table.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Incredible talent for sure. But as a person, just an asshole. The way he treated Sammy and Mike is unforgivable, and yet both of those guys would have played with him for a reunion concert anytime anywhere. Mike even had to agree to a pay cut, just to be allowed to play with VH in the end, and his backing vocals are every bit as big of a contribution as Eddie's guitar was to the Van Halen sound. In his alcoholic stupor he couldn't/wouldn't play, and really hindered the rest of the band even at home practicing. Endless hours in the studio just noodling and getting nothing actually recorded. He was so drunk he literally couldn't play things he himself had composed. Forced Alex to do a tour when he should have been getting a much needed hip replacement. Went on drunken rants on stage to tarnish the VH legacy before the more recent tours, and then finally went out with Dave who never could sing, instead of sucking up his pride and asking Sammy to forgive him.
Yeah he made some of the very finest rock songs of the 70's and 80's, but he actually kept the band from acheiving even greater things that were within their grasp. Sad for sure. I hope he finds peace finally.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Sad he passed at a fairly young age but oh what a life he must have had as a rock and roll star.

Any of you guys remember Michael bringing his Hallet into copper canyon and hanging out back in the early 90s?

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Sad he passed at a fairly young age but oh what a life he must have had as a rock and roll star.

Any of you guys remember Michael bringing his Hallet into copper canyon and hanging out back in the early 90s?
Yes I remember Michael in Copper Canyon. He had a couple nice Halletts and had a condo at the Isles in the channel.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Yes I remember Michael in Copper Canyon. He had a couple nice Halletts and had a condo at the Isles in the channel.
Now he hangs with Sammy in Cabo. Damn. I should have practiced my guitar a hell of a lot more. :(

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Seen Van Halen at a few backyard parties when I was a kid back in the late 70's. This hit me a lot harder than I thought it would. Brought up a lot of memories of hanging with friends at the river. Gods Speed EVH. You will always be the GOAT in my book!!!

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
Interesting how it affected me. Never met the guy, but always loved the music and that guitar playing. I remember the first time I heard Van Halen, my friend came back from vacation with this casette tape he bought at a kMart and we played it on my little Panasonic tape player. I had never heard anything like it before, I was 12 years old. That and AC/DC opened up a whole new world for me with music. Brought back a lot of good memories growing up, reflected on a lot of old times, brings feelings up you never knew you felt or had in you.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
I have been listening to various tributes throughout the week...but.......If I hear the beginning of Jump again I may jump out the window. :D

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of concerts, and maybe Bruce Springsteen came close, but no band ever looked like they enjoyed their time on stage, more than Van Hagar. Watching Sammy climbing into the rafters, non stop running, jumping, rolling while still singing. And as rock drummers go, Alex never gets his due props. The guy is a monster. Hell of a Rock & Roll band with both Sam and DLR. That is a hard thing to do.

caribbean20

Reaction score
David Lee Roth calling the rental car company “Come pick up your car.” Agent says just drive it back to the office. Roth says” we can’t open the door, it’s stuck.” Agent, what’s the problem with the door. Roth retorts, “the car is layin on its side, can’t, won’t and will not open it. We had the damage waiver, it’s yours😀

Last edited:

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Really surprised this slipped under the RDP radar.
Agreed.... still kicking my ass for not getting out in front of this on the island. Only thing I can think of maybe it was a private [ish] gathering for close friends/ family. If they'd gone with a social media announcement Two Harbors would've had a thousand boats show up.... overwhelmed.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Great interview thanks for posting
...Agreed really great interview and as he said thanks for posting...
... He came across as a pretty down to earth musical genius👍...(if there is such a thing)???...
...I’m now starting to remember when they were playing around Pasadena and I had heard of them ...people I knew would talk about them ...I just never got around to seeing them till 2015???...glad I did...

Last edited:

Your ad here

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of concerts, and maybe Bruce Springsteen came close, but no band ever looked like they enjoyed their time on stage, more than Van Hagar. Watching Sammy climbing into the rafters, non stop running, jumping, rolling while still singing. And as rock drummers go, Alex never gets his due props. The guy is a monster. Hell of a Rock & Roll band with both Sam and DLR. That is a hard thing to do.
Van Halen was the first concert I went to and I agree with the energy Sammy had. Honda Center 2005. Bruce Dickinson was 2nd closes with energy when I saw Iron Maiden but I have not seen anything top the energy of the instrument playing that I saw at that Iron Maiden concert at Irvine Meadows.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Van Halen was the first concert I went to and I agree with the energy Sammy had. Honda Center 2005. Bruce Dickinson was 2nd closes with energy when I saw Iron Maiden but I have not seen anything top the energy of the instrument playing that I saw at that Iron Maiden concert at Irvine Meadows.

The Who was top dog when it came to energy on stage. Keith Moon was absolutely insane. Not to mention Roger Daulrty. It was like the whole band was on a dime bag of whites!!!

But if VH was your first concert, you were probably too young to remember those days.

VH will always be missed. ☹️

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
If The Frankenstrat were ever to be sold, that would break a record I would think. If EVH was my dad, I’d never sell it. No way.

The record apparently is Kurt Cobain’s left handed 1959 Martin D-18E used for MTV’s Unplugged at $6,010,000.

Such a drag that another icon in rock music has passed.