WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RIP - Tragic Boating Accident

JLG614

Signature Garage Design / Epoxy Flooring
Reaction score
If you go to the link there is a woman that was a witness to it. She says the boat caught air and flipped. I know the MTI's are quick but I don't think it would pack that much air to flip with no other factors involved. We boat up there every summer and there are always lots of big logs floating around the whole lake especially right now with the runoff. I think its possible they hit a log which caused the boat to catch air or possibly hit a big wake. Alot of times its extremely hard to see the logs before you are right up on them. I have no idea what happened and i am Not trying to speculate just giving some input of my experience on that lake. RIP to all involved such a sad incident, Its unimaginable what their families are going through right now

Last edited:

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Will the Legends run still take place I wonder?

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
If you go to the link there is a woman that was a witness to it. She says the boat caught air and flipped. I know the MTI's are quick but I don't think it would pack that much air to flip. We boat up there every summer and there are always lots of big logs floating around the whole lake especially right now with the runoff. I think its possible they hit a log which caused the boat to catch air or possibly hit a big wake. Alot of times its extremely hard to see the logs before you are right up on them. Not trying to speculate just giving some input of my experience on that lake. RIP to all involved such a sad incident, Its unimaginable what their families are going through right now
How fast do boats need to be moving typically for enough lift to occur?

Warparty36

Reaction score
Condolences to all involved. It's awful to watch them trying to find your friends after an accident.

Hoodoo

Reaction score
Will the Legends run still take place I wonder?

It goes without saying this kind of thing is devastating to all involved. Although I hadn’t met him, he had a place just up river and I knew the boat. It will impact the community and possibly the Legends run, which has always faced considerable headwinds from a few very vocal locals. Especially on the river. Sad situation.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
They start packing air at 60 or so. Depending on boat size and conditions. To do a blow over. Can happen at 80 or 180 a lot depends there

McKay

Reaction score
If you over trimmed, headwind, hit and unexpected wake, etc they can start to lift dangerously a lot slower than you would think. Not saying any of that happened here. Lots of people with cats love to over trim.

chadzilla

Legend Performance Marine
Reaction score

Tony DCB Boats

Reaction score
Some of you guys should really think before you type.. one person is confirmed dead, the other three I would presume to be dead (missing) they boated in Havasu.. it’s highly likely their friends and family are reading this thread.. and you got some comments here that are pretty…. 🤨
This is one of the best posts on your website @RiverDave. So sad and sometimes things should be found out on their own and not posted on the World Wide Web. Keyboard cowboys think they are funny and they are not. God Speed to those involved. Very unfortunate.
-Tony

4Waters

Reaction score
I’m sitting here shaking right now as I read this thread. This is my good buddy Greg’s boat. I’m lost for words right now. Rip buddy and whoever was with him.
Sorry for you loss😔

kurtis500

Reaction score
Horrible. If they are all gone I hope it was quick and painless

Like a Corporate jet, one small thing can be costly.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Depends on the boat and conditions, I have a friend who flipped his 38 MTI only doing 60 in Florida about 2 months ago. Says a little cyclone caught the nose. They were all OK with some bruises and broken iPhones.

havasu5150

Reaction score
Tragic, RIP to those who lost their life. My thoughts and prayers for the families and friends.

renodaytona

Reaction score
It’s doesn’t take much, gust of wind trimmed up and it only takes seconds. There was a video on Instagram some one caught of a OB Skater that almost went over going up River a couple weeks ago.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
It’s doesn’t take much, gust of wind trimmed up and it only takes seconds. There was a video on Instagram some one caught of a OB Skater that almost went over going up River a couple weeks ago.

Yeah I saw that.. it went up but still had a ways to go before blow over.. Either way it would get my undivided attention.

Rd

Roosky01

Reaction score
Hanging around on this site gets me (and I'm pretty sure others?) thinking I really want and can handle a 80+ mph cat with my current skillset. It is extremely unfortunate incidents such as this that bring a guy like me back to reality and magnify my limitations at this moment in time. With training and more seasoning, maybe...

Things such as this happen in every high performance activity (or everyday life for that matter), but it still sucks big time to see this. Prayers to the families and those lost. RiP. 😥

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Sadly, if they can’t find them then they didn’t have jackets on.

THE Cat Sass

Reaction score
Stuff like this really gets me thinking. I’ve owned many fast tunnel hulls in the 120-130 speed range, from 21 Daytona’s to a 28 Speedster and now a twin 450 OB cat. The closest calls I’ve had were with the 21 and that was purely operator disdain for anything that could go wrong back when I thought I was bullet proof.

IMO there’s an un-warranted feeling of safety in this new breed of very fast tunnel hulls. From the twin Merc 1350 cats to the new twin 450 boats, I feel like these things command way more respect than they are getting today. Lots of dudes out rolling the lakes and rivers at speeds that were once relegated to only the very fastest pure race boats. Me included at times. I can’t count how many times I’ve rolled up over 120 with my entire family in the boat, none of us wearing vests. That shit ended the moment I saw this thread.

My heart hurts for these 4 souls, they were just like many of us on this site out doing what they loved.

God Speed.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Stuff like this really gets me thinking. I’ve owned many fast tunnel hulls in the 120-130 speed range, from 21 Daytona’s to a 28 Speedster and now a twin 450 OB cat. The closest calls I’ve had were with the 21 and that was purely operator disdain for anything that could go wrong back when I thought I was bullet proof.

IMO there’s an un-warranted feeling of safety in this new breed of very fast tunnel hulls. From the twin Merc 1350 cats to the new twin 450 boats, I feel like these things command way more respect than they are getting today. Lots of dudes out rolling the lakes and rivers at speeds that were once relegated to only the very fastest pure race boats. Me included at times. I can’t count how many times I’ve rolled up over 120 with my entire family in the boat, none of us wearing vests. That shit ended the moment I saw this thread.

My heart hurts for these 4 souls, they were just like many of us on this site out doing what they loved.

God Speed.

How many “fast tunnel hills” have you owned and run fast with your family and no vests on, until this thread?

Does it really take a thread like this to learn this? If so, and you’re not uncommon, then doesn’t this mean there’s a problem in the industry?

People question how kids and adults can get on watercraft and not know the basics, isn’t this a similar issue?

Note: I have read multiple threads here about the tunnel hull tracing that’s available and a number of members have spoken highly of its value.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
We boat up there every summer and there are always lots of big logs floating around the whole lake especially right now with the runoff.
The logs will get your attention. Freaks me out to think about hitting one of them. Random Tree just floating in the middle of the lake.

Joe mama

Reaction score
The logs will get your attention. Freaks me out to think about hitting one of them. Random Tree just floating in the middle of the lake.
Yep that’s all it takes and water conditions, light etc cans make that log disappear.

Hoodoo

Reaction score
Mostly a spring run off thing. I usually don’t get on the lake until July and I’ve never seen a log out on the lake. Between the float planes and all the boat traffic there can’t be much water that hasn’t been covered by then.

Mototrig

Reaction score
It put a lump in my throat to read an RDP member posted that this is their friend's boat with the name of the deceased in his description and then this popped up with confirmation

😔😔😔😔

Sorry for your loss Track Man ....and I feel bad you had to find out like this. I hope you find peace sooner than later.

Last edited:

instagator

Reaction score
RIP.....I think they may have hit a log if the engines came off. 450 s.......could of just been cruising !

rrrr

Reaction score
How many “fast tunnel hills” have you owned and run fast with your family and no vests on, until this thread?

Does it really take a thread like this to learn this? If so, and you’re not uncommon, then doesn’t this mean there’s a problem in the industry?

People question how kids and adults can get on watercraft and not know the basics, isn’t this a similar issue?

Note: I have read multiple threads here about the tunnel hull tracing that’s available and a number of members have spoken highly of its value.
Not now. Save it for another day.

Hoodoo

Reaction score
RIP.....I think they may have hit a log if the engines came off. 450 s.......could of just been cruising !
Lots of float plane guys on the river. I’m gonna fly the lake this week to check on debris. The weather has been crappy so far this summer and there hasn’t been near the normal boat traffic.

Water Romper

Reaction score

This was posted on MSN- Local Boise, ID​

Truly sorry for this tragic accident. Here are the names of the 4 occupants- Seems when the names are posted, brings it home and you know families and friends are grieving. The article does not give any details- "Under investigation"

As a side note- The article states the boat capsized at 7pm, Here in Idaho, 7pm is like 2 or 3 pm in Havasu/ So Cal, its complete daylight (gets dark at 10pm) so visibility may not have been a factor
-------------

Bodies of 4 men who died in boating accident are recovered​

SANDPOINT, Idaho (AP)— Officials in northern Idaho have recovered the bodies of all four victims who were killed after their boat capsized on the Pend Oreille River.
The Bonner County Sheriff’s Office has identified the victims as Gregory J. Daiker, 59, of Laclede, Idaho; Aaron J. Faulhaber, 49, of Laclede; Jason L. Maxson, 51, of Laclede; and John R. Shulte, 59, of Sandpoint, Idaho.
The sheriff’s office says next of kin for all four men have been notified.
KREM-TV reports the high-performance boat capsized on the river at approximately 7 p.m. on Tuesday night.
1656850870463.png

1656850995034.png

Track Man

Reaction score
Good morning guys. Greg was a good friend of mine. It’s been a tough week. He came down to Havasu in 2018 Desert storm and purchased the build on this boat. Didn’t get the boat until 2019 Midsummer. He to wait for the new 450s to come out. We went up to Idaho and ran the boat. We had an awesome time. it was losing water pressure and going into limp mode. we didn’t get up there to thousand 2020 because of Covid. He brought the boat down to Desert storm in 2021. They paid for everything and took the boat back to Lake of the Ozarks to fix it. Last summer we went to Idaho and did the poker run. He put 35 inch props on the boat and it ran awesome. I drove it a couple times and I had over 120 miles an hour very stable boat. This year he decided to put 36 inch props on the boat. He told me he was hoping to get more lift out of the boat. I talk to him last weekend and he was just getting the boat in the water as the water was slow coming up. He mentioned to me before he didn’t like early spring because of all the debris in the water. I found out on Thursday when I read this thread that he crashed the boat. I assumed one of the people on the boat was his girlfriend. At 4 o’clock Thursday she called me. She told me she didn’t make it out on the boat because she had a hair appointment. She also told me Greg was the one they found. The witnesses said the boat went straight up in the air and landed upside down. Also said it was windy. I’m thinking if you would’ve hit a log it would’ve barrel rolled. I’m thinking too much trim with the new props. I love you buddy Greg I’m gonna miss you. My thoughts and prayers go out to the other three guys and their families.

dave29

Reaction score
Hanging around on this site gets me (and I'm pretty sure others?) thinking I really want and can handle a 80+ mph cat with my current skillset. It is extremely unfortunate incidents such as this that bring a guy like me back to reality and magnify my limitations at this moment in time. With training and more seasoning, maybe...

Things such as this happen in every high performance activity (or everyday life for that matter), but it still sucks big time to see this. Prayers to the families and those lost. RiP. 😥
Tres Martin school will teach you a lot.
Prayers for all involved in this tragedy.

Water Romper

Reaction score
I drove it a couple times and I had over 120 miles an hour very stable boat ...damn, that's flat-out hauling ass and it wasn't even your boat. I would assume your buddy, the owner, would have pushed it a bit harder because he knew the boat. just an unfortunate accident

rrrr

Reaction score
Greg was a good friend of mine. It’s been a tough week.
I can only offer condolences, and hope the monstrous grief that families and friends are feeling will recede quickly.

Think of bright sunny days on the water, cold beers and a sunburn shared after the day ended, and laughter as you told stories about dumb things and adventures. Those memories will be with you forever.

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
Investigation has been completed.

First off -
RIP to all involved in this unfortunate accident. Condolences to all those left behind.

I'm not posting this to stir the pot, more so to hopefully open some peoples eyes to the effects of excessive alcohol consumption and operating a vehicle, whether it's a boat like this situation, or car, or side-by-side, or whatever it may be. If we can learn anything from this crash and subsequent investigation, it's don't drink excessive amounts and operate your boat. Key word here is "excessive".

After an extensive investigation, the Bonner County Sheriff’s Office has concluded that the boat accident that occurred on June 28th, 2022 on the Pend Oreille River in Thama, Bonner County, Idaho was caused by excessive speed likely complicated by gusty winds reported in the area at the time.
Evidence indicates the boat was traveling about 100 miles per hour (MPH) at the time of the accident. Furthermore, it has been determined that alcohol was a contributing factor in this accident. The vessel’s owner, Gregory Daiker, was found to have a blood alcohol level of 0.228 BAC, which is well over the legal limit of 0.08 BAC, as well as small levels of Diazepam. Lastly, the boat lacked enough life jackets for the number of people onboard the vessel as required by law.

WildWilly

Reaction score
.22 isn't just a couple beers or a little buzzed. Either every other occupant had consumed just as much so their judgement was impaired, or they are just as at fault for allowing the driver to take the wheel after consuming that much. They all put that on those they left behind, thats the worst part in this and accidents similar.

Such a shame for the friends and loved ones.