WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Risking life and limb for your entertainment.. LOL

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'm not much of a "safety nazi" but truthfully I think I'm going to get some noeprene life jackets for the boats and start making people wear them for anything over 60 mph.

As some of ya know at the Schiada Notta Regatta I went out with Lee for some video. We were cruising down river between 40 - 70 mph (depending) and luckily there were some good conditions ahead.. He had slowed down to about 60 mph for what I suspect was going to be a little acceleration run when we came upon what looked to be a water jug floating in the river. (I'm taking his word on that becuase I was looking through a video camera and never saw it coming) No big Deal or so we thought. Went around the water jug to find that the it must've been hooked to something heavy as hell sitting on the bottom of the river.

We're unsure what it hooked on the boat becuase there's no visible damage to any of the under water gear what so ever. It basically grabbed something though and took us from 60 - 70, down to 20 in a hurry.. You can see that after the initial slow down the boat is listing heavily to my side. After that the boat runs kind of sideways leaning towards me for every bit of 4 seconds before I turned the camera off. I didn't notice how heavy it was running sideways until after I edited it. I'll be editing another one later today and putting it up with the additional 4 seconds after impact.

LeeVid.flv video by RiverDavesPlace - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vid307.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid307.photobucket.com/albums/nn317/RiverDavesPlace/LeeVid.flv@@AMEPARAM@@vid307@@AMEPARAM@@307@@AMEPARAM@@nn317/RiverDavesPlace/LeeVid

Whatever it was finally let go and the boat went back to business as usual, but had it not let go, then it's pretty concievable that ole RD and his video camera woulda gone for a swim. Had it not been for the billet foot rest that I was pinned against I'd probably have a guage imprint on my chest right now, and at a minimum a broken video camera. LOL

Wear your life jackets if your gonna haul ass guys.. You never know!

RD

RodnJen

Reaction score
I feel the same, although we never wear ours. I bought my boat, used it twice, then my wife got pregnant for the first time. I'm not even sure how fast my boat goes, but when you have loved ones aboard speeds above 50 can be a little unsettling. IMHO.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
On the flipside though, I think upwards of 150+ mph for you big boat guys.. LOL It's a moot point as they say.

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Thats crazy. After reading your description and before watching the video I was expecting you guys to be a lot closer to shore to hook a rope like that.

We were out in the middle of the river, just a little to the right of center.. Right where we should be.

Kinda blew me away that we hit a mooring out there..

RD

BNB2008

Banned
Reaction score
What ever you hit, it was something, look at the bow as it reenters the water off plane....little faster, you might have burried it.....down to 8 lives bro...glad to see your ok....boat make it out ok?? Ever figure what it got caught on?

Director...
Reaction score
I'm not much of a "safety nazi" but truthfully I think I'm going to get some noeprene life jackets for the boats and start making people wear them for anything over 60 mph.

As some of ya know at the Schiada Notta Regatta I went out with Lee for some video. We were cruising down river between 40 - 70 mph (depending) and luckily there were some good conditions ahead.. He had slowed down to about 60 mph for what I suspect was going to be a little acceleration run when we came upon what looked to be a water jug floating in the river. (I'm taking his word on that becuase I was looking through a video camera and never saw it coming) No big Deal or so we thought. Went around the water jug to find that the it must've been hooked to something heavy as hell sitting on the bottom of the river.

We're unsure what it hooked on the boat becuase there's no visible damage to any of the under water gear what so ever. It basically grabbed something though and took us from 60 - 70, down to 20 in a hurry.. You can see that after the initial slow down the boat is listing heavily to my side. After that the boat runs kind of sideways leaning towards me for every bit of 4 seconds before I turned the camera off. I didn't notice how heavy it was running sideways until after I edited it. I'll be editing another one later today and putting it up with the additional 4 seconds after impact.

Whatever it was finally let go and the boat went back to business as usual, but had it not let go, then it's pretty concievable that ole RD and his video camera woulda gone for a swim. Had it not been for the billet foot rest that I was pinned against I'd probably have a guage imprint on my chest right now, and at a minimum a broken video camera. LOL

Wear your life jackets if your gonna haul ass guys.. You never know!

RD

I bet the rope hung on the front of the drive.....Now if the industry would have taken ol Johnsons advice .....and put the props on the front of the drive.....it would have cut the rope and you would have been on your way...un interrupted...:beer

PVHCA

Reaction score
Pretty crazy RD. Did your boy ever think of shutting the engine down? Or did he and I couldn't tell. Thats some freaky shit, my pussy ass would have shut down immediately. Hope the boat was OK!!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What ever you hit, it was something, look at the bow as it reenters the water off plane....little faster, you might have burried it.....down to 8 lives bro...glad to see your ok....boat make it out ok?? Ever figure what it got caught on?

Pretty sure it was a mooring or something.. No damage to the boat.

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I bet the rope hung on the front of the drive.....Now if the industry would have taken ol Johnsons advice .....and put the props on the front of the drive.....it would have cut the rope and you would have been on your way...un interrupted...:beer

V-Drive Brian.. ;) can't you hear it (the v-drive) throughout the whole video? That's what that high pitch noise is..

RD

R

Retired Member

I'd say it was a rope attach to the jug. I doubt it had an anchor attached to it. You slow that prop at any good clip and the boat will do funny things.

500bbc

Reaction score
Just to hazard a guess but I'll bet it was some dumb ass ocean boater that hooked up to someones buoy and got blown out in the river channel.
It happens to buoys at Echo frequently although the only ones we've found were down the beach up to 100 yards or so away from where they were set. We'll set bouys that'll hold a 21' or 25' but Fountain boy will roll in with a 42'+ and fawk it all up.

That would have fcked someone up in a smaller boat or going faster.:swear:swear

BNB2008

Banned
Reaction score
Gotta get me one of those boats, just love the sound of that thing...v-drive schiada that is....I would trade the Hallett straight across for a decent schiada anyday.....of course take it to Dave first for a good once over....:D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Gotta get me one of those boats, just love the sound of that thing...v-drive schiada that is....I would trade the Hallett straight across for a decent schiada anyday.....of course take it to Dave first for a good once over....:D

I wouldn't take it to me for a once over.. LOL I'm not a mechanic by any means. I'd take it to Prestige, or Lee at Schiada etc..

RD

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Holy shit that's scary!!!!!!!!!!

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
DANM, that could've been really bad. Glad everyone & everything is alright :thumbsup

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Holy shit that's scary!!!!!!!!!!

Glad we weren't doing 100+ when it happened, otherwise boatcop would probably be posting the footage right now.. LOL

RD

spectras only

Reaction score
You guys are lucky there are no logs in your river . I hit a log that must have been sitting straight up in the riverbed , taking off my drive while going only 40 mph . My boat weighs around 6500 lbs empty , yet its stopped immediately upon striking the damn log .Looks like you were still going for a bit dragging whatever was attached [ anchor ?] to the line before stopping .Always wear life jackets going over 50 .

broken%20bellhousing

Last edited:

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
always feaks me out after a good flash flood, I usally give it a day or so to let all the debri float on by

R

Retired Member

No comment.

D

Deleted Account

Sometime I'm gonna have to tell ya how we stuffed a 38' coming into Newport right at dark... Broke my arm, again...:thumbsdown

D

Deleted Account

Killed the 500's and it wouldn't start after. Found all four batteries got tore out of the battery boxes (ripped them apart) and ripped the ends off the cables...:eek: Found one good batt that wasn't broken and held the wires on to get one motor going again.

That's a hell of a ride back from Catalina. Guy got it fixed and drove back over there the next day to play with the bachelorette party we found...:cool:

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
Killed the 500's and it wouldn't start after. Found all four batteries got tore out of the battery boxes (ripped them apart) and ripped the ends off the cables...:eek: Found one good batt that wasn't broken and held the wires on to get one motor going again.

That's a hell of a ride back from Catalina. Guy got it fixed and drove back over there the next day to play with the bachelorette party we found...:cool:

Now that's what I call a trooper...broken boat and arm but no broken spirit...nice:beer

D

Deleted Account

That boat died a sad death...

Attachments

• DSC00081.JPG
    DSC00081.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 173
D

Deleted Account

In front of the lido racks. Came home late on Sunday from another island run, tied her up and covered it. Got a call at 0500 and they said the boat was under the dock. Found out the gimbal on the stand off box got loose and it let water start coming in overnight. Got in quicker than the bilge pump could get it out... Game over.

SKIA36

Reaction score
On the flipside though, I think upwards of 150+ mph for you big boat guys.. LOL It's a moot point as they say.

RD
Helps to find the body so the mortuary can sell you a box with all the trimings, just another excuse for an Irish Wake
Ive been wet a few times going fast, but only at sanctioned races the lifeline always worked.

D

Deleted Account

I got pitched out of a nice turbo 19 spectra in a race at Elsinore at about 90. Good thing I was a kid in '84 cause that hurt a bunch... ;)

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
Helps to find the body so the mortuary can sell you a box with all the trimings, just another excuse for an Irish Wake
Ive been wet a few times going fast, but only at sanctioned races the lifeline always worked.

You mean an excuse to get sloppy drunk :beer

R

Retired Member

I got pitched out of a nice turbo 19 spectra in a race at Elsinore at about 90. Good thing I was a kid in '84 cause that hurt a bunch... ;)

Is that why you are scared to use your boat now? ;)

D

Deleted Account

Is that why you are scared to use your boat now? ;)

You've been in it. You definitley need new material.:thumbsup

Almost got your ass with the bungie dealio last time.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Retired Member

You've been in it. You definitley need new material.:thumbsup

Almost got your ass with the bungie dealio last time.:D

Yeah, who the hell uses a bungie anchor......... let alone uses it as a tow rope? :D:eek:

SuperDave013

Reaction score
I bet the rope or what ever caught the turn fin.
Anyway that was bad ass up to that point.