WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

River Lodge 1962-3

old rigger

Reaction score
I lost an uncle 2 months ago and along with inheriting one of his cars (he bought it new the year he graduated high school in '65, a Formula S Barracuda. Only has 27,000 miles on the speedo) and his ski, (it's already in our place at the river) I've also been able to go through some of his photo albums. Nothing spectacular about the pics, some are out of focus, but they gives a small glimpse to the early 60's on the strip. A much simpler time for sure. My uncle was 16 at the time and on the back of the pic of him holding the catfish he snagged it says it weighed 14 lbs 5 oz.

The Flying Scott on the the back of that Wizard is pretty cool. I wonder if it was one of McCulloch's 3 cylinder 75hp versions?

If I'm not mistaken the old restrooms behind the Ford pickup are still there? Found an old shaving razor blade there once on a sink when I was a kid and used it to try and carve a tiki head on a piece of driftwood. Sliced my thumb open enough to make the trip to the hospital to get stitched up. That was in '65.

fullsizeoutput_3161.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3164.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_316d.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3162.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3167.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3165.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3160.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3166.jpeg

Last edited:

KevinR

Reaction score
So cool. Thanks for sharing.

I had the exact same Velmar ski with my name inlaid. Learned to shore start at River Lodge in 68 at 12 years old. What a great place that was back then!

brgrcru

Reaction score
Those are great pictures
Yep those rest rooms are still there. Never been renovated . Since then .

old rigger

Reaction score
So cool. Thanks for sharing.

I had the exact same Velmar ski with my name inlaid. Learned to shore start at River Lodge in 68 at 12 years old. What a great place that was back then!

I was 12 the same year. Remember the old lagoon and the bar? There was a shuffleboard game in the bar, the kind where it hit the bottom of boiling pins and they'd swing up. All the kids would be in the bar playing that game and drinking Roy Rogers at night. Parents drinking in camp.
I'd love to find one of those games for our place now.

Last edited:

old rigger

Reaction score
Haha. Yes I do! Seemed like we would play that game forever. To find one would be terrific.

I can’t remember what it looked like. Something like this?

https://images.app.goo.gl/4ptnc9J6YvLt55yo7

Yes! As far as I can remember it was just like that. After seeing your pic I started to look around and there's one on eBay very near me. If I can get an address from the seller I'm going to go look at it. Showed my wife your pic too and she's all for it, plus it'll be one less story she'll have to hear about the old days at the river.

One2go

Reaction score
Those are great pictures and memories,the Honda step through 90s are so cool.My dad had one in the 70s that I learned to ride on.

grumpy88

Reaction score
20190526_174507.jpg
I tried to take the same picture as one you posted above . The island is there but the trees are gone . Thanks for sharing the great pictures