WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

River Story

W.O.T

Reaction score
I guess I'll break the cherry in here. So a few years back I met a good looking blonde and we start talking. I came up with the idea, hey lets go out to the river Sunday, I'll call in sick on Monday well stay the night since she was off those days. She agreed and has never been. She stayed the night at my place Saturday night and Sunday morning we leave.

I have my 19' Daytona in tow two full tanks of race gas. We make it all the way out there and drop the boat in the water at Martinez Lake. Park the Truck and I walk back to the lady and the boat in the water. Fire the boat up she's running cherry. She Has My Labrador Puppy in her lap and all is well were idling out of Martinez lake.

There were quite a few boats on the water and a line of boats pulling out of Martinez onto the river. I was in line and idling out of the Marina onto the river. Here's where things get shitty. Several boats were coming off plane and entering the Marina. Me being at idle in a low freeboard Daytona, started taking on Rollers. Looking back I should have gunned it and blew by everyone. But it would have been risky with as many boats I was behind. Within seconds two or three rollers made it into the boat and I saw water up to the back seat. I knew I was Fucked I gunned it into the toolies and killed the motor. Down she went.

We lost everything. Our shoes, backpack with my keys our cell phones, Wallets, a brand new Glock pistol and my Dept. Badge. We were treading water. Luckily the tow and rescue guy from Martinez saw us and quickly got his boat to pull my boat up river with the plugs out etc.

What a mess. Luckily Farmer John a board member on the PB forums saw me and gave me his shoes and loaned me some money. Also used his truck to pull my boat out of the water.

The lady and I headed home. I tore into the boat throwing everything electrical into the trash and opening the motor up. Cost me a few bucks to get her going again. The lady and I didn't go anywhere from that point haha, but she was a good sport about it. I think I was more concerned with the boat at the time.

I'll see if I have any pics from this mess.

W.O.T

Reaction score
I'm always imagining what that day/nite would have been like if things went good..........

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That's a shitty story, but not all memories are good times.. LOL

RD

FARMER JOHN

Can't Remember
Reaction score
I guess I'll break the cherry in here. So a few years back I met a good looking blonde and we start talking. I came up with the idea, hey lets go out to the river Sunday, I'll call in sick on Monday well stay the night since she was off those days. She agreed and has never been. She stayed the night at my place Saturday night and Sunday morning we leave.

I have my 19' Daytona in tow two full tanks of race gas. We make it all the way out there and drop the boat in the water at Martinez Lake. Park the Truck and I walk back to the lady and the boat in the water. Fire the boat up she's running cherry. She Has My Labrador Puppy in her lap and all is well were idling out of Martinez lake.

There were quite a few boats on the water and a line of boats pulling out of Martinez onto the river. I was in line and idling out of the Marina onto the river. Here's where things get shitty. Several boats were coming off plane and entering the Marina. Me being at idle in a low freeboard Daytona, started taking on Rollers. Looking back I should have gunned it and blew by everyone. But it would have been risky with as many boats I was behind. Within seconds two or three rollers made it into the boat and I saw water up to the back seat. I knew I was Fucked I gunned it into the toolies and killed the motor. Down she went.

We lost everything. Our shoes, backpack with my keys our cell phones, Wallets, a brand new Glock pistol and my Dept. Badge. We were treading water. Luckily the tow and rescue guy from Martinez saw us and quickly got his boat to pull my boat up river with the plugs out etc.

What a mess. Luckily Farmer John a board member on the PB forums saw me and gave me his shoes and loaned me some money. Also used his truck to pull my boat out of the water.

The lady and I headed home. I tore into the boat throwing everything electrical into the trash and opening the motor up. Cost me a few bucks to get her going again. The lady and I didn't go anywhere from that point haha, but she was a good sport about it. I think I was more concerned with the boat at the time.

I remember that day, I was just coming in off the water and I'm trying to figure out why it would take about 6 law enforcement officers to give a ticket, not knowing his boat had sunk, and yes, the blonde was hot...

W.O.T

Reaction score
I remember that day, I was just coming in off the water and I'm trying to figure out why it would take about 6 law enforcement officers to give a ticket, not knowing his boat had sunk, and yes, the blonde was hot...

Thanks again John. You really helped us out that day. I learned an expensive lesson that day on what NOT to bring with me on the boat. I was left with nothing after losing my backpack. I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't been there to help me.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Thanks again John. You really helped us out that day. I learned an expensive lesson that day on what NOT to bring with me on the boat. I was left with nothing after losing my backpack. I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't been there to help me.

Kinna sucks, but that is a great story about helping a guy out. Doesn't get much better than that. :thumbup:

W.O.T

Reaction score
Kinna sucks, but that is a great story about helping a guy out. Doesn't get much better than that. :thumbup:

Thanks yes I've met more good people boating than any other of my hobbies.
It was a lousy trip but I have many more good trips and stories than bad.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Damn sucks luckily there were people to help you out

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Who in their right mind takes a gun on the boat with them at the river?:D Glad you didn't lose everything.

W.O.T

Reaction score
Who in their right mind takes a gun on the boat with them at the river?:D Glad you didn't lose everything.

Yes I know haha. I've had one stolen from my truck in the past and thought this was a better option. Imperial County Sheriffs did a dive for a training exercise looking for my backpack but had negative results. Or someone ended up with a new pistol jk. It probably made its way pretty far down river the current is pretty strong there. After that trip all I took with me was my drivers license in my board shorts pocket no phones or wallets etc.

outboardrick

Reaction score

I have a pretty similar story......Was camped at Crazy Horse with my blown hemi Placecraft anchored off the beach. We had gone to the showers at dusk and when we came out a storm was brewing. I told everyone (another couple and myself with a first date) that we need to get back to the beach and get the boats out of the water. By the time we got to the beach a monsoon had hit and scattered everything. My friend (16ft Tahiti) and I went for the boats and sent the girls with the trucks to the launch ramp. My friend was smart and put his ski vest on but I just jumped in the boat and started for the ramp. It was completely dark by now and at least 3ft rollers were coming in. I had a mini mag light to try to find my way in and just hoped I didn't get swamped, I would have drowned for sure in that weather. I finally found the inlet to the ramp and gassed it up onto the shore next to the pavement. The girl I brought, first date and first time to the river, was driving my El Camino down to the ramp but she had only been there once, and the rain was falling so hard that there was a 2ft mist bouncing off the ground. If you've ever been to the Crazy Horse ramp you know that the road basically runs right into the ramp. So while I'm sitting there with my boat 3/4 on the dirt since I stuck it waaay high due to the waves, here comes my Camino right down the road and right down the ramp into the lake. So far that the trailer is floating in the water. The chick bails out the window and is hysterical and all my shit in the bed of the Camino is floating out into the lake. I throw my vest on and start swimming for my water skis and anything else that was in the bed that I can salvage but soon realize that the wind is blowing me out faster than I can swim back in.....So I toss my shit and swim to shore. Not long after the weather turns calm and as we're all trying to regain our composure, a couple of fishermen come in with a little tiller steer outboard and drive over the top of my truck, which still has the headlights on underwater, and look down like WTF??

outboardrick

Reaction score
Oh, and WOT, you have a direct splash off my old 21 Pickl'd Pink :D
453.jpg

W.O.T

Reaction score
Oh, and WOT, you have a direct splash off my old 21 Pickl'd Pink :D
View attachment 422240

Wow exact color scheme! I have since sold the Daytona which I regret. That is for sure a wild story and a bummer but glad you guys were ok.
After that incident I started wearing my vest at all times in the boat. Before I would only throw it on when I was going to open her up. But that incident taught me that shit can happen at any time. And when it does happen its too late to toss the vest on usually.
Thanks for sharing your story.

W.O.T

Reaction score
I have a pretty similar story......Was camped at Crazy Horse with my blown hemi Placecraft anchored off the beach. We had gone to the showers at dusk and when we came out a storm was brewing. I told everyone (another couple and myself with a first date) that we need to get back to the beach and get the boats out of the water. By the time we got to the beach a monsoon had hit and scattered everything. My friend (16ft Tahiti) and I went for the boats and sent the girls with the trucks to the launch ramp. My friend was smart and put his ski vest on but I just jumped in the boat and started for the ramp. It was completely dark by now and at least 3ft rollers were coming in. I had a mini mag light to try to find my way in and just hoped I didn't get swamped, I would have drowned for sure in that weather. I finally found the inlet to the ramp and gassed it up onto the shore next to the pavement. The girl I brought, first date and first time to the river, was driving my El Camino down to the ramp but she had only been there once, and the rain was falling so hard that there was a 2ft mist bouncing off the ground. If you've ever been to the Crazy Horse ramp you know that the road basically runs right into the ramp. So while I'm sitting there with my boat 3/4 on the dirt since I stuck it waaay high due to the waves, here comes my Camino right down the road and right down the ramp into the lake. So far that the trailer is floating in the water. The chick bails out the window and is hysterical and all my shit in the bed of the Camino is floating out into the lake. I throw my vest on and start swimming for my water skis and anything else that was in the bed that I can salvage but soon realize that the wind is blowing me out faster than I can swim back in.....So I toss my shit and swim to shore. Not long after the weather turns calm and as we're all trying to regain our composure, a couple of fishermen come in with a little tiller steer outboard and drive over the top of my truck, which still has the headlights on underwater, and look down like WTF??

I'm Curious What Happened With You And The Lady After That Trip? Did You Guys Ever Have A Do-Over?

outboardrick

Reaction score
I'm Curious What Happened With You And The Lady After That Trip? Did You Guys Ever Have A Do-Over?

Lol.....Yes, she was a great girl but a bit goofy. I really liked her and tried to find a way but it just didn't happen. Thanks for asking :thumbup:

LAVEYNICK

Reaction score
Yes I know haha. I've had one stolen from my truck in the past and thought this was a better option. Imperial County Sheriffs did a dive for a training exercise looking for my backpack but had negative results. Or someone ended up with a new pistol jk. It probably made its way pretty far down river the current is pretty strong there. After that trip all I took with me was my drivers license in my board shorts pocket no phones or wallets etc.

"but had negative results" you must be a copper lol