WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Road Trip Socal to the FL Key? Am I Crazy?

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
2020 has been fairly gnarly to our family and we need a change of pace to clear our heads and see some new scenery for a bit so as the title suggests I thought a road trip from Socal to the Florida Keys sounded fun.

Plan is 5 days out with the 5th wheel, stopping at night (6-7 hours a day driving to not kill ourselves) at KOA campgrounds. Then spend 5 days in the keys. Pop up to NC to visit my brother for Thanksgiving for another 5 days, then 4-5 days back driving home the same route we headed out to avoid snow across the midwest (we are taking the route 10).

Does this sound insane?

I used the road tripper website to map everything out so from a logistics point of view it seems easy. I just haven't done a long haul "vacation" like this and am wondering if it will be too much.

The road trip idea sounded good so we can bring our dogs along. But would I be better off just boarding them and visiting the keys for 5 days via plane and hotels instead?

Anyone do anything similar?

fmo24

Reaction score
Road trip would be awesome. Check to see if Keys have opened up completely. Lot of stuff here in central Florida are open but some places still require those damn masks. We travel full time and love it. Just being two of us we mostly overnight in rest stops. There are some really nice ones on the 10 thru Louisiana and Mississippi

beerrun

Reaction score
When I was driving OTR leaving San Diego would take 4 hard days to Orlando/ Daytona. 11hrs driving 700 plus miles a day @75 mph so i don't think you could make it towing to the keys in 4 days

Havasu Hangin'

Lord of the Drinks
Reaction score
I contemplate this often- is it ok to spend valuable vacation days on the road vs flying and spending those days at your destination? I guess it really depends on how much time you have, and how much you appreciate the KOA campgrounds (fun factor) against being in the Keys in a hotel. You'll have 10 driving days, and 5 destination days. if you do the drive, try to find local landmarks to go see at every stop- it will be much more interesting if you see more of the landmarks across the country, over a KOA that looks the same from the inside wherever you are.

How big is your fifth wheel? Keys can be tight roads. You probably have backup spares, etc.

PS- I pulled my boat from back east on the 40...weather is only a factor in a couple areas. Crappy roads were the bigger issue (don't tow in the right lane unless you absolutely have to).

beerrun

Reaction score
but hey I think my wife and I are going to fly down to the keys for Thanksgiving

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
When I was driving OTR leaving San Diego would take 4 hard days to Orlando/ Daytona. 11hrs driving 700 plus miles a day @75 mph so i don't think you could make it towing to the keys in 4 days

We planned 5 nights to they keys at 6-7 hours a day 400-500 miles per day.

It is home from NC that we were planning on slamming it back in 4 days but there is always wiggle room for that.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
I contemplate this often- is it ok to spend valuable vacation days on the road vs flying and spending those days at your destination? I guess it really depends on how much time you have, and how much you appreciate the KOA campgrounds (fun factor) against being in the Keys in a hotel. You'll have 10 driving days, and 5 destination days. if you do the drive, try to find local landmarks to go see at every stop- it will be much more interesting if you see more of the landmarks across the country, over a KOA that looks the same from the inside wherever you are.

How big is your fifth wheel? Keys can be tight roads. You probably have backup spares, etc.

PS- I pulled my boat from back east on the 40...weather is only a factor in a couple areas. Crappy roads were the bigger issue (don't tow in the right lane unless you absolutely have to).

it would be 5 days to the keys, 5 days at the keys, 2 days to NC, 5 days in NC over thanksgiving to visit brother's family, then 5 days home. So 11-12 days driving and 10 days of being "on the ground".

5th wheel is a 34 footer. we bought smaller just to be able to go most places.

Good thing is being outside commission only sales, i don't have vacation days. Come and go as i please as long as i get work done from the road.

PaPaG

Reaction score
2020 has been fairly gnarly to our family and we need a change of pace to clear our heads and see some new scenery for a bit so as the title suggests I thought a road trip from Socal to the Florida Keys sounded fun.

Plan is 5 days out with the 5th wheel, stopping at night (6-7 hours a day driving to not kill ourselves) at KOA campgrounds. Then spend 5 days in the keys. Pop up to NC to visit my brother for Thanksgiving for another 5 days, then 4-5 days back driving home the same route we headed out to avoid snow across the midwest (we are taking the route 10).

Does this sound insane?

I used the road tripper website to map everything out so from a logistics point of view it seems easy. I just haven't done a long haul "vacation" like this and am wondering if it will be too much.

The road trip idea sounded good so we can bring our dogs along. But would I be better off just boarding them and visiting the keys for 5 days via plane and hotels instead?

Sounds Great if you can do it, you and your family will remember that family trip forever.

RodnJen

Reaction score
Sounds like a great trip. Take your time and enjoy it.

X-rated

Reaction score
How big is your fam? Long days on the road with little kids can be very tough and don't forget....Just because you are digging it doesn't necessarily mean anybody else is!!

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
We are headed to Florida this coming Saturday but we are flying. 3 days in Ft Myers, 3 days in Key West, back to Ft Myers and home.

Can’t wait. Good thing about driving Is that you can change your plans at any point i would think.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
We just did a road trip from Phoenix to New Jersey - my wife and I and our dog. Rented an Expedition XL Ltd with unlimited miles and we made the drive in 2 ½ days (about 14 hours a day for the 1st 2 days and a ½ day on day 3). Spent 3 days there and then came back.

We stopped in Gettysburg, PA on the way there - hadn't been there before it is an amazing place - very powerful and inspiring to be there. We got to see a lot of the fall foliage - leaves changing colors - and my wife got to see this great country as she'd never been on a cross-country road trip before.

Road trip was awesome - no airports, no gestapo flight attendants or UnAmerican Airlines - it was a great thing to do this year.

Go do your trip and let us know how it's going! Safe travels!

Done-it-again

Reaction score
My parents do this every year, but to Orlando... I would say 5 days is pushing it and would say 7 is more realistic. You can hit some bad traffic that will cut your diving time down... Also trying to get a spot in the keys if available is $$$$ like 2-3k a week for a RV spot.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I’ve taken a road trip across the bottom of the us, to the tip of Florida, up to dc, across to Rushmore and back across down thru Vegas. It was a blast. Some of the best things I saw weren’t in the major stops but the random gas stations with a lion cage etc. There isn’t much between here and mid Texas. Then on the east side stuff starts to get green. New Orleans. Plantations. Florida has its beaches and we did one of those Everglades fan boat tours. Plenty of Cracker Barrel’s.

I think the big thing is how much will be open with covid etc. as far as Florida, I think they called it quits on quarantine and are full open.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
I haven’t towed a trailer on family road trips (we stay in hotels), but after two 2-week road trips, we’ve realized our daily driving limit has to be under 400 miles (at least West of the Mississippi River). We have two girls (9&10). We usually hit the road each day between 7 and 8, and arrive at next hotel by 8 pm. With bathroom breaks, lunch (to-go food or quick picnic with sandwiches we make), and a few quick sightseeing stops, gas stop, the easy 400 mile day ends up long and with cranky kids.

On paper, it always seems doable time-wise, no matter the distance, but it never works out that good. Consider also, traffic, road work, accidents.

If you intend to haul the mail, stop as little as humanly possible, your driving time might work. If you actually want to enjoy the trip and see America, I’d do 300-350 miles a day and add a few days. Consider Google says non-stop is about 42 hours of driving, with zero stops.

Halvecto

Reaction score
Do it! Others on here are likely more familiar with it, but Key West is cool to see, although for a family spot it's not worth staying for a few days. There are great beaches and camping spots on some of the larger Keys that are not all the way down to Key West. Largo, Grassy, Duck, Marathon are all great spots with nice camping/beaches. Sanibel, Captiva Island, Marco Island in the Naples/Ft. Myers area are great spots too.

I've driven LA to Tampa and LA to various cities in the South multiple times. Heads-up: Two stretches are always longer than expected; El Paso to San Antonio and Baton Rouge/NO to Tampa. Should be a good time of year to travel. We are flying to San Antonio area for Thanksgiving and I'm not looking forward to the travel that week at all. I would rather drive it.

Last edited:

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
I haven’t towed a trailer on family road trips (we stay in hotels), but after two 2-week road trips, we’ve realized our daily driving limit has to be under 400 miles (at least West of the Mississippi River). We have two girls (9&10). We usually hit the road each day between 7 and 8, and arrive at next hotel by 8 pm. With bathroom breaks, lunch (to-go food or quick picnic with sandwiches we make), and a few quick sightseeing stops, gas stop, the easy 400 mile day ends up long and with cranky kids.

On paper, it always seems doable time-wise, no matter the distance, but it never works out that good. Consider also, traffic, road work, accidents.

If you intend to haul the mail, stop as little as humanly possible, your driving time might work. If you actually want to enjoy the trip and see America, I’d do 300-350 miles a day and add a few days. Consider Google says non-stop is about 42 hours of driving, with zero stops.

Good idea. We are planning on adding a few days on the way back to see some of the sights.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Never towed something those lengths of days. We have driven to see all 50 states in a car and it is something that our 25 year old son continues to benefit from. I high school he had experiences that aligned with history classes. In college he always was able to strike up a conversation with classmate/frat members about their home states. In his work it has opened doors during interviews. He also has fond memories with family during those travels.

The best story is the petrified Forrest. I went there as a kid and didn’t care so much for it. Took the wife and don and hyped it up like no other. They got there and for years complained about it. We drove by it in April. Our son needed gas at the time and I said I knew a good station. Once he saw the sign he started saying no way not going to do it. Rather run out of gas than go there again in his lifetime. We ended up spending an hour at the gift shop after getting gas and laughed the whole time.

A month later he said that he was going to do the same thing to his family and I asked if I could join him. GOOD TIMES!!!!

DO IT!!!!!

Also check out roadsideamerica.com or something like that. They has silly things that you can stop off and see on the side of the road. Some good some bad. Post up and I am sure that people along the way will point you in the right direction.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
One more thing to add. I like the drive and wife and kid not so much. I’d get them in the car around 4-5am. Let them sleep, I’d listen to music I liked and watched the sunrise in peace. Around 7am they’d wake up and we’d find a place to grab breakfast. I got the drive and they got the sleep. Everyone one was happy. LOL

beerrun

Reaction score
I think you should do it just not sure you will get to KW in 5 days

cxr

Reaction score
Got room for 4 more. Drop us off in Orlando. And. Pickup on the way back. 😂😂. Lol. Just remember a lot of people have canceleld vacations and will be hitting the road like you are this year so account for increased traffic

I have been trying to plan this same type of trip
For the beg. Of November to get my family to WDW

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Does this sound insane?

Totally insane. Why?

I've driven from Florida to Key West. That drive is beyond amazing. I did it in a POS rental car, non stop due to time restrictions, and it was more driving than I wanted to do in one day. Towing will be even less fun.

Solution?

Once you head out on the keys, drive slow and take your time. There will be a LOT of places you'll want to stop. Park there and spend the night.

There is no reason to spend 5 days in Key West. You'll see the whole Key in a couple of hours! They have tram/tour rides that cover the whole island. Take one all the way around, then go back to the places you want to explore.

Plus, there is no way you'll be able to get around KW with a truck and 5th wheel! LoL

You should probably find the closet campground to KW, and take day trips from there. A bicycle is the best way to get around KW. @Tank

So leave the mainland and look for places to camp on the keys. Enjoy the beauty. Don't rush. It's an incredible drive.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Totally insane. Why?

I've driven from Florida to Key West. That drive is beyond amazing. I did it in a POS rental car, non stop due to time restrictions, and it was more driving than I wanted to do in one day. Towing will be even less fun.

Solution?

Once you head out on the keys, drive slow and take your time. There will be a LOT of places you'll want to stop. Park there and spend the night.

There is no reason to spend 5 days in Key West. You'll see the whole Key in a couple of hours! They have tram/tour rides that cover the whole island. Take one all the way around, then go back to the places you want to explore.

Plus, there is no way you'll be able to get around KW with a truck and 5th wheel! LoL

You should probably find the closet campground to KW, and take day trips from there. A bicycle is the best way to get around KW. @Tank

So leave the mainland and look for places to camp on the keys. Enjoy the beauty. Don't rush. It's an incredible drive.

I should have mentioned this was the plan. I wasn't hung up on Key west for 5 days, more like getting a park to camp at mid keys (if that makes sense) then exploring from there.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
My questions would be do you plan on doing this with kids? No way in hell I would with my 9 and 7 year olds. I would be short 2 kids by the time we got back. LOL

If yes to kids, then I would think a motor home would be the best option, they could watch TV , eat, pee etc. With towing a 5th, they would have to be in the truck.

If its just you and your wife, you idea would work.

I have thought about doing this, but cant help but think it would be cool for a few days, then start to be over it. But that's just me.

JBZ

Reaction score
Not so crazy
This was crazy
Newport beach to Bradenton FL (Just past Tampa)
In one shot
Me and a buddy
38 and 1/2 hours
2593 miles
avg speed 67mph
IMG_1206.JPG

rivergames

Reaction score
I've driven across the country multiple times when we race in Augusta, GA.

My take: Shoot the 10 and drive as long and quick as you can till you get to San Antonio, TX. My brother and I pulled our race trailer back from Austin, TX in 21 hours. You can do two 12 hour drives from So Cal

Once you get to central TX, it turns from desert into greenery. Relax your drive and enjoy the country and stop at great food joints and enjoy the bayous in Louisiana.

buck35

Reaction score
Never towed something those lengths of days. We have driven to see all 50 states in a car and it is something that our 25 year old son continues to benefit from. I high school he had experiences that aligned with history classes. In college he always was able to strike up a conversation with classmate/frat members about their home states. In his work it has opened doors during interviews. He also has fond memories with family during those travels.

The best story is the petrified Forrest. I went there as a kid and didn’t care so much for it. Took the wife and don and hyped it up like no other. They got there and for years complained about it. We drove by it in April. Our son needed gas at the time and I said I knew a good station. Once he saw the sign he started saying no way not going to do it. Rather run out of gas than go there again in his lifetime. We ended up spending an hour at the gift shop after getting gas and laughed the whole time.

A month later he said that he was going to do the same thing to his family and I asked if I could join him. GOOD TIMES!!!!

DO IT!!!!!

Also check out roadsideamerica.com or something like that. They has silly things that you can stop off and see on the side of the road. Some good some bad. Post up and I am sure that people along the way will point you in the right direction.
The one in vantage wa. Is pretty cool. Went thru that as a kid In the 60s. I live less than 50 miles from there.

1tonfun

Reaction score
The first long trip we did was in our motor home, went from Phoenix up through Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Jackson WY, Glacier National park, and Banf Canada. Was an absolutely amazing trip. We planned it out so the first day was 10 hrs from Phoenix to Salt Lake then shorter days for the Yellowstone area. Then a long day to Glacier and shorter days through Glacier and Banf. Had 2 long day's to get back to Vegas for a wedding then home. Did the trip over 12 day's and had a blast. Kids are gone so it was only the wife and I. We can't wait to do it again!! We took our time to see what we wanted to see, then packed up and headed to the next stop. Bathroom and lunch breaks will add time, being in the motorhome we didn't have to stop to eat or use the bathroom. On the long day's was usually when I would have to fill up so that was my pit stop during the longer drives. I will say this, the motor home is a lot more comfortable to drive for extended periods vs. my pickup. Our friends with kids usually limit the drive to 6-7 hrs in their motor home on long trips.

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
We planned 5 nights to they keys at 6-7 hours a day 400-500 miles per day.

It is home from NC that we were planning on slamming it back in 4 days but there is always wiggle room for that.

Just did Idaho. 400-500 per day will take you 8-10 hours.

rrrr

Reaction score
It's close to 24 hours of driving nonstop from Dallas to LA. It's right around 1,500 miles. I've done it twice.

There's no way you can drive 400-500 miles in six to seven hours. That's averaging 70 MPH, which is damned hard to do unless you're pushing 80-90 a good bit of the time.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We've done it a few times. We enjoy it and will do it again soon.
Checking into a campground is a hassle night after night for just an overnighter. OK if you're staying a few days or to give the kids a break.
Roadside rests work pretty good and on BLM land while you're in transit. KOA ain't cheap anymore.

This is a help too:
FLA toll costs are insane if you're towing and you have to be on your game - don't miss your transition rd or exit.
Campsites in FLA can be expensive but we feel worth it and you best book way in advance.

Travel early and hit the Roadside rests early, before sundown.
Wife feeding Prairie Dogs at a roadside rest:
801BDC87-3480-447B-BD19-9B496C6742B4.jpeg

Last edited:

rcmike

Reaction score
That is a big pull, I usually do Tennessee in 3 or 4 days, depending if I leave late and spend the first night in Havasu. But the last day is usually 4-5 hours..

rcmike

Reaction score
Let me add, do it. Amazing trip. I would spend a few hours looking for stupid roadside stops where you are going to spend 15 minutes or less, and find one a day where you will be there a little longer. That way everyone gets out of the car and walks around, goes to the bathroom, etc.. Makes the drive a lot better.. Run 40 back. It's prettier. Stay out of the RV parking in the casinos in Oklahoma.. They are all mud..

Backlash

Reaction score
Born and raised in Orlando and stuck in CA for the last 30 years, so we've made this trip many times. It will take you longer than that to get there if that's your planned time driving. Hauling ass, not towing anything usually takes us 3 solid days to get from San Bernardino to Orlando. And that's with no mechanical breakdowns and no sightseeing. Averaged about 75-80 as best I could. Hell, it takes almost an entire day just to get across Texas! 😁 Once you get to SoFla, look at staying in Islamorada or one of the other larger lower keys (Big Pine?). They are more relaxed and less expensive than Key West, and easier to drag a trailer around in my opinion. It will be a trip you're family will never forget. Have fun, start a thread and be safe!

sonicss31

Reaction score
The Keys are open. Masks are required in businesses but no Gestapo policing here. The KOA on Sugarloaf Key is still closed from Hurricane Irma but plenty of other nice sites are available. All of the tolls are billed later so no stopping, “toll by plate” photos taken. You can buy “Sunpass” online and save some money. They will mail you a transponder. Anything you need help with down here I’m willing to assist. :) I live on Cudjoe Key, 23 miles from KW.

Ty N

Reaction score
DO IT!!!! Have as much fun with it as possible!! We have towed our 5th wheel to Sturgis and OKC numerous times from Phoenix, best trips ever!!!

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
I thought the event this year was cancelled?
The races are canceled but the Poker run is still on. it won't be like years past. no big parties. poker run village etc but still going to be a good time

beerrun

Reaction score
Texas 880 miles border to border on the 10 not much between el paso and San Antonio

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I’ve done this drive several times towing Miami to LA and back. I don’t think you can get there in 5 days with your plan. It would take me 3 full days driving 16-18 hours a day, no stopping except for gas. And I was smoked at the end of it. Texas is 908miles on I10 if I remember right. And Florida from Pensacola to the Keys is over 800. It’s a lot further than people think.

I-10 in Louisiana is the worst road on earth when towing. My god I thought my teeth were gonna rattle out, destroyed the shocks on the truck. There’s a bypass around NOLA, I-12, if you don’t want to drive thru NOLA.

On I10, you’ll drive thru Phoenix, Tucson, El Paso, San Antonio, Houston. You will hit traffic/rush hour in one of those cities. Happens every time to me lol.

All that to say, it’s probably going to take you quite a bit longer than expected. The Keys are awesome. Get a Sun Pass for sure! It’ll cost a bunch but it’ll save you tons of time on the Florida turnpike. Check out Marathon, that’s one of my favorites and it’s pretty much right in the middle. Key west can be seen in a day just walking or biking around, it’s pretty small. Lots of good restaurants.

Good luck!

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Born and raised in Orlando and stuck in CA for the last 30 years, so we've made this trip many times. It will take you longer than that to get there if that's your planned time driving. Hauling ass, not towing anything usually takes us 3 solid days to get from San Bernardino to Orlando. And that's with no mechanical breakdowns and no sightseeing. Averaged about 75-80 as best I could. Hell, it takes almost an entire day just to get across Texas! 😁 Once you get to SoFla, look at staying in Islamorada or one of the other larger lower keys (Big Pine?). They are more relaxed and less expensive than Key West, and easier to drag a trailer around in my opinion. It will be a trip you're family will never forget. Have fun, start a thread and be safe!
Don't believe a word of this. i swear it takes like 15 days to drive across Texas :)

beerrun

Reaction score
by the way I would go tomorrow if I could