WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Roadside assistance

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Wife and I recently purchased a 2018 TT and I want to get a roadside assistance plan for us. We currently have AAA for our truck/car with the basic plan but wondering if maybe Good Sam or others have something better. What say ye?

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
Wife and I recently purchased a 2018 TT and I want to get a roadside assistance plan for us. We currently have AAA for our truck/car with the basic plan but wondering if maybe Good Sam or others have something better. What say ye?

Good sams they are good on price if your a member you get free stays at some rv parks or big discounts and they are one of the only companies that I know that will tow both the truck and trailer if you break down

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Good sams they are good on price if your a member you get free stays at some rv parks or big discounts and they are one of the only companies that I know that will tow both the truck and trailer if you break down
Yeah currently a member of GS and looking at their pricing/plan they look superior to AAA.
Thanks

Singleton

Reaction score
I had AAA RV and Good Sam.
The one time I needed help (truck broke on rice with travel trailer attached), AAA was 6+ hours out to deal with both truck and trailer. Called Good Sam and truck arrived in 3 hours and was able to deal with truck and trailer. Driver told me he got both calls (AAA request and Good Sam), GS paid better so it had higher priority.

I moved AAA back to basic after that and have AAA basic and GS now.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I had AAA RV and Good Sam.
The one time I needed help (truck broke on rice with travel trailer attached), AAA was 6+ hours out to deal with both truck and trailer. Called Good Sam and truck arrived in 3 hours and was able to deal with truck and trailer. Driver told me he got both calls (AAA request and Good Sam), GS paid better so it had higher priority.

I moved AAA back to basic after that and have AAA basic and GS now.
Exactly what I have now as of 30 min ago.

X Hoser

Reaction score
I have both AAA and GS. I think the AAA is 200 miles? If I break, I want options and as fast of service as I can possibly get.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I use the towing that my insurance offers. I needed it once and they towed my from just below lake mead on the 93 to my house in havasu. I had to lie just a little about nobody between there and home that could fix it to get it there. It was a pay and reimburse deal.

Mikes56

Reaction score
AAA can kiss my ass.

I blew a tire on my boat trailer last week coming home from Havasu. We were just outside Mojave and it was 102*. I called AAA and they couldn’t find anyone to change my fucking trailer tire. One guy called and said he’d be there in 15 minutes. After an hour I called him back and he said, I ain’t coming. I’m like WTF??? I called AAA back and they suggested I find someone on my own, pay for it, and they would reimburse me. My wife found a tow truck in Rosamond, he showed up and in 10 minutes the tire was changed, for $325. You’ll love this part, the tow truck is a AAA contractor. Again WTF???

AAA can kiss my ass. I was motherfucking the AAA operator over the phone I was so pissed. 18 year member and they can now fuck off.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
AAA can kiss my ass.

I blew a tire on my boat trailer last week coming home from Havasu. We were just outside Mojave and it was 102*. I called AAA and they couldn’t find anyone to change my fucking trailer tire. One guy called and said he’d be there in 15 minutes. After an hour I called him back and he said, I ain’t coming. I’m like WTF??? I called AAA back and they suggested I find someone on my own, pay for it, and they would reimburse me. My wife found a tow truck in Rosamond, he showed up and in 10 minutes the tire was changed, for $325. You’ll love this part, the tow truck is a AAA contractor. Again WTF???

AAA can kiss my ass. I was motherfucking the AAA operator over the phone I was so pissed. 18 year member and they can now fuck off.

Is this with their plus or premier level of membership or just their basic? Is changing a trailer tire that hard?

Personally I carry a 6 ton jack, and a dewalt impact driver and socket for my trailer lugs (and my truck lugs and my prop nut), and some good gloves. I havent had to do this yet but I figure I could approximate a nascar pit stop once I got the spare off the trailer.

MagicMan

Reaction score
AAA Service times suck ass in Havasu and Bullhead city for some reason. Rarely have issues in Cali. Over an hour each time I’ve called.

Mikes56

Reaction score
Is this with their plus or premier level of membership or just their basic? Is changing a trailer tire that hard?

Personally I carry a 6 ton jack, and a dewalt impact driver and socket for my trailer lugs (and my truck lugs and my prop nut), and some good gloves. I havent had to do this yet but I figure I could approximate a nascar pit stop once I got the spare off the trailer.
I have their RV coverage. If I didn’t, I could understand them jacking me around.

Yes, I’m going to bring a floor jack and impact next time. I thought about it but said, Nah I’ve got AAA.

Fuck AAA.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I have their RV coverage. If I didn’t, I could understand them jacking me around.

Yes, I’m going to bring a floor jack and impact next time. I thought about it but said, Nah I’ve got AAA.

Fuck AAA.

I have AAA RV (Plus) myself, but I wouldnt consider calling them for a trailer tire change unless there is just some crazy senario I could not fix myself (broke all my tools, stripped something, etc). Being out on Rice Road (middle of nowhere), I simply dont want to wait four hours to be assisted with something I'd rather get done and on my way. I'd get where I was going about the same time AAA would be showing up had I sat there and waited, and then I'd still have to drive the rest of the way.

AAA can be good, but only in major cities. Beyond that, I think Good Sam or other RV solutions would be better since they are more accustomed to responding to customers out in the sticks.

69hondo

Reaction score
I will not recommend AAA but I would like to hear others opinions on other options specifically you al with class A coaches.
I have had the best AAA RV coverage for a long while now and in the last 5 years have had some bad luck on the road (towed 3 separate times) and each time AAA has gotten worse. The last time February of this year it took them 22 hours and cost me a shit load of $$$$.

Disclaimer . Everytime I share this I hear how oh I must have the wrong coverage or you are wrong that would never happen. I assure you I have the best roadside AAA can offer.

Last edited:

Meaney77

Reaction score
Here is my story... Knock on wood, I havent needed them for a tow since this last event.