WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rob at Quality Custom Marine Frustrating issue with my boat!

ilmormark

Rest Easy Mark (ilmormark) (Smoke On The Water) 😢
Reaction score
OK i bought a hull and got messed around by a couple of guys but bottom line Bob at Shockwave rigged it and did an amazing job. Every time i take it out it throws a fault and goes to idle very sporadic i have taken it to 3 certified mercury racing guys in bullhead and Havasu. After a few bucks still had the problem can be going 70 dies and goes to idle several little things didnt work have tried to have them all fixed with months of works with several shops.

I took it back to OC with me 3 weeks ago after talking with Rob at quality custom marine told him about the issue he immediately said he could fix it....

Fast forward after one week and more than 5000 in warranty work i took it out sunday and yesterday went to Havasu and bingo no not one fault didnt even hiccup one time.

ROB at Quality knows his stuff and if you have an issue with your boat he is the guy to take it to in my opinion

4Waters

Reaction score
OK i bought a hull and got messed around by a couple of guys but bottom line Bob at Shockwave rigged it and did an amazing job. Every time i take it out it throws a fault and goes to idle very sporadic i have taken it to 3 certified mercury racing guys in bullhead and Havasu. After a few bucks still had the problem can be going 70 dies and goes to idle several little things didnt work have tried to have them all fixed with months of works with several shops.

I took it back to OC with me 3 weeks ago after talking with Rob at quality custom marine told him about the issue he immediately said he could fix it....

Fast forward after one week and more than 5000 in warranty work i took it out sunday and yesterday went to Havasu and bingo no not one fault didnt even hiccup one time.

ROB at Quality knows his stuff and if you have an issue with your boat he is the guy to take it to in my opinion
I thought this was a callout thread. I glad it's fixed, what was the problem.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Totally thought this was a call out thread. Nonetheless, happy the boat is running flawless

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Totally thought this was a call out thread. Nonetheless, happy the boat is running flawless

There's still time to save it and turn it into a call out thread. :D

Glad to hear the boat is running well. There is nothing worse that getting out on the water and hearing that "sputtering/coughing" sound. Especially when it's the engine. :D

boatpi

Reaction score
I met Rob a number of years ago in really odd insurance claims

He is honest and very smart. Nice to see this thread.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
That's good to hear, glad you got it fixed!

Inland Air Balance

Certified in something
Reaction score
another vote for Rob@QPM. I've been using him for the last few years and could not be happier with his knowledge and low key approach.

sintax

Reaction score
$5000 in warranty work? What was wrong with it?

Yea, my eyes bugged out when I read that one too....

"so we replaced everything related to your wiring and ECU, turns out we fixed it"

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score

Rob at Quality Performance is who I forwarded all my parents boat service needs to when I moved to Texas

rcomander

Reaction score
I've been going to Rob since he opened in Corona........good guy....

sirbob

Reaction score
Still no answer what the problem was that the other three merc techs missed out on a $5000 :rolleyes:

AND unless I miss understood what is being said - paying $5000 for warranty work doesn't sound like much of a warranty?

Possibly thats how much it would have cost if not under warranty?

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Rob or Robby as I know him, is a great guy. I broke into the marine business about 2 years after he did and we both worked at the same shop for several years together, Harry's Marine Engine Service. Rob wanted to get more performance oriented and went to work for the original Warlock, Tom Stolarz and Clyde Kirk. This is when Grove St. in Anaheim was the home of who's who in the boat world. Late 70's early 80's. Advantage, Dooley, G&S(shoemaker), Tom Papp, Eliminator, Crusader(Stan Moskwa), Heckel&Jeckel(polishers) and many more.
Although I have not seen Robby in many years I still give him lots of credit for showing the ropes in my formative years of the boat business. If you read this Robby I'll get by and see you soon in Corona.:D You know who I am.

Bucketlist

Reaction score
I have used Rob and his shop for many years on two of my boats and he has always been able to diagnose and fix my issues. The most frustrating was an intermittent grounding issue. Rob is as honest as the day as long and I consider him a friend outside of the boat business.

ilmormark

Rest Easy Mark (ilmormark) (Smoke On The Water) 😢
Reaction score
Sorry for the late repy just got back been BOATING ALL DAY! wooohooo no one fault ran beautiful. I didnt pay but 500 for some overnighted parts Mercury Racing and Rob got together and figured it out dont even know what was wrong only know they replaced a lot of things but Rob and Mercury Techs took care of business. It had 700 faults in 2 years a lot of them were while idling every time it beeped it was a fault is my guess it could happen while on plane or at 65 MPH just very sporadic going to go enjoy my boat again tomorrow
IMG_7666.jpg

spectras only

Reaction score
It's great you got your problem solved. Still don't get it why replacing a few parts would amount to $5000.
Not sure what merc electronics are in the Ilmor package, but it sounded you had a IAC valve issue. Merc IAC valve is around 200 bucks, and ECU around 1000-1200. No surprise, I work on everything on my boat, including my drives. Last year, input shaft seal in the starboard drive blown, oil in the bilge. Seal was around 16 bucks and replaced it in about two hours.
I still don't get it how Mercruiser gets away charging 50 bucks for this so called 'muffler' for the IAC valve.:rolleyes::p
https://www.amazon.ca/MERCURY-Muffl..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=PMB1SF6R2STEN87VWX2R

Last edited: