WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rolex watches off eBay

Flippindough

Reaction score
Wanted to see if anyone had an experience on buying a watch off eBay? Been wanting a Rolex Deep-sea for years, now really have the bug to pull the trigger. Every licensed dealer I've walked into basically laughed me out of their store. No one has inventory! No sign of when they will get a shipment either. So my last resort is off eBay. All signs look like its legit but obviously spending $15k plus on a "folex" is not what I want. Anyone have experience buying a high end watch off eBay? Here is an example of what I'm looking at. Guy has great reviews authenticity guarantee etc.. What else should I look for?

PlanB

Reaction score
Mine have all been bought through the same dealer face to face in his shop. It's the only way I would buy a Rolex.

Bajastu

Reaction score
I’d only buy from a dealer as well. And wow have Rolex’s skyrocketed. I bought a new one 15 years ago and it was only $7,800

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I wouldnt buy anything "name brand" off ebay thats of any value. Shoes purses clothing, etc. Too many knockoffs and its easy for these offshore companies to "look" like USA companies with freight forwarding, etc. Once they rip you off its difficult to get money back as they tend to have many accounts to funnel money around with.

hallett21

Reaction score
Dealer only. Way too much money to take a risk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I'd buy new from an AD if possible, however you are unlikely to find that watch at a dealer. I would look at reputable Rolex resellers such as davidsw, chrono24, and others. You will pay market price which is over MSRP, however you will be buying a genuine watch.

Here are some references to review:

nowski

Reaction score
Some copies are so good the average guy can't tell the difference, you also get a certificate of authenticity to make it look legit. BIL found out the hard way...

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Used to be on a watch forum and there are some valid sellers on eBay. It’s a small community and I wouldn’t go doing it without knowing the process.

Tank

Reaction score
A lot of the high end replicas you can’t tell until you crack them open.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I've never used an alarm clock,... nor have I found a need to where a watch....when The sun creeps up I go to work,... when it's straight up I take a nap.... when it goes down, I go to bed....I think I'll just save my 15k

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I've never used an alarm clock,... nor have I found a need to where a watch....when The sun creeps up I go to work,... when it's straight up I take a nap.... when it goes down, I go to bed....I think I'll just save my 15k

I never understood the watch thing... my phone is 500x more accurate and sync's with the rest of the world. I wear a watch when I go scuba diving and then it goes right back into my scuba bag.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
I used to buy $200 watches once a year, because I had one on, regardless of what I was doing. 24 years ago I dropped $5,500 on a Rolex Datejust. It looks and runs as well as it did when I bought it..
They are now a little under $11k

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Wanted to see if anyone had an experience on buying a watch off eBay? Been wanting a Rolex Deep-sea for years, now really have the bug to pull the trigger. Every licensed dealer I've walked into basically laughed me out of their store. No one has inventory! No sign of when they will get a shipment either. So my last resort is off eBay. All signs look like its legit but obviously spending $15k plus on a "folex" is not what I want. Anyone have experience buying a high end watch off eBay? Here is an example of what I'm looking at. Guy has great reviews authenticity guarantee etc.. What else should I look for?

Deepsea $14k. Very popular Youtube channel

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
I never understood the watch thing... my phone is 500x more accurate and sync's with the rest of the world. I wear a watch when I go scuba diving and then it goes right back into my scuba bag.

Because watches are timeless. They can be an investment as well such a Rolex. Do you make money on your phone when you want to sell. Doubt it

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
E Bay says they guarantee the authenticity, but I couldn’t get ahold of anybody when I had an issue selling a motorcycle . Caveat Emptor !

TimeBandit

Reaction score
30 years ago I went to a west side jeweler/Rolex dealer, at the time I'm thinking they were around $5k for the one I liked.

I just held it and thought how much better my Citizen or my Seiko looked for under $500. Now I never wear any watch.

Done-it-again

Reaction score

Hit up @HappyJewelers, they have lots of choices.

Just not this one, I have my eye on it.

A0DCD2C8-F721-4C72-BC82-6F8FCDECC056.jpeg

Last edited:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Buy with confidence.

eBay has a watch authentication service for luxury watches.

Details here:

Basically the watch goes to a third party authenticator before funds are released to the seller.

There’s no getting around this.

Just make sure you buy through eBay and not “let’s avoid eBay fees and do this outside of eBay”.

You’ll love the sea dweller [emoji106]
I have an 116660 “triple 6” and it’s a tank.

IMG_9542.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tank

Reaction score
Buddy is a dealer/jeweler. I just text him he said he is actually getting one in. Let you
Know what he says when he has it.

Last edited:

JD D05

Reaction score
I would buy face to face but have heard good things from this dealer.

C-2

Reaction score
UncleDave turned me on to Feldmar Watch in West LA. They always have nice, used inventory of many different watch brands like Omega, Tudor, too.

gqchris

Reaction score
I bought my wifes Rolex on Ebay from a high feedback dealer 5 years ago. Its turned out fine, but it was nowhere near what the prices are now. I think I paid like 2600$ or so.

nameisbond

Reaction score
I like Facebook Marketplace. Since the sellers are local, you can meet at a dealer and have them verify it.

Turnup

Reaction score
rolexforums.com if you're not going to buy from an AD. They have some really reputable sellers for gray market.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Because watches are timeless. They can be an investment as well such a Rolex. Do you make money on your phone when you want to sell. Doubt it

x2. I'm more into the vintage ones. My daily watch is a 1950's model that I know the full history on.

Turnup

Reaction score

He's also on rolexforums.com 👍

McKay

Reaction score

That dealer is good to go. Don’t worry at all buying from him.

Raffit78

Reaction score

Some people use their discretionary income to purchase RV’s, boats, that almost all lose value when you drive off a lot. Unless Ofcourse it’s in a “pandemic”. I don’t know a single Rolex dating till the first ones made that has lost money. It’s arguably the best investment you can make as a material good. Some people flip toys and some flip watches. You just have to buy right like anything else.

Xring01

Reaction score
Check out the classified of Timezone.com

I have bought some highend watchs their.

Dalton

Reaction score
It’s hard to tell nowadays, some are fake but the dial, crystal, and bezel are real, the movement is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Some people use their discretionary income to purchase RV’s, boats, that almost all lose value when you drive off a lot. Unless Ofcourse it’s in a “pandemic”. I don’t know a single Rolex dating till the first ones made that has lost money. It’s arguably the best investment you can make as a material good. Some people flip toys and some flip watches. You just have to buy right like anything else.

Yup.

And right now, due to crazy demand and tight supply, most used stainless steel rolexes are selling for above the MSRP that dealers charge for new.

I kick myself for not buying every BLNR/Batman I could a few years ago when they were $8500… they’re twice that now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BingerFang

Reaction score
Save yourself the headache and head to happy jewelers.

I bought my dad one for his 60th birthday from them and couldn’t be happier.

72CE0900-C941-44FF-AE19-E02E7D73B336.jpeg

Jay Dub

Reaction score

avoid. avoid. avoid. Here in Southern CA there are several reputable dealers for used Rolex. I have used Tourneau and Beverly Hills Watch company.

sirbob

Reaction score
The reality is if you want a “new” model of any of the top brands you will be buying on the secondary market.

There are no new Rolex’s from a AD. They sell them to past customers who have them for 6 months or shorter / then trade them in and get the new one. The dealer than sells them at an inflated price since they can’t sell new above retail. Same thing Ferrai does.

The closest you will find to new on the current models is Bob’s watches in Newport. They may be the largest reseller of Rolex’s in the world. They have a nice store and you can try them on etc.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I am back to wearing a watch again because I have made it a goal to not use my phone in restaurants or when I am socializing with my friends. I am not 100% without breaking my rule and looking at my phone, but at least I don't need my phone to check the time. Also I only wear good old analog watches, but my favorite is this 30 something year old casio my wife gave me when we were dating!... Still works and I dive with it even after a couple of battery jobs.

One day I would like a high end watch like a Rolex or Omega... one day... lol

watch.jpg

2Driver

Reaction score
True story
A Co-worker was showing off his fake Rolex to 3 of us when the second hand dislodged one of the “diamonds” and swept it around the face until it wedged permanently against the minute hand. 😁

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
crown and caliber is a trusted source online.

badgas

Reaction score
Some good references here.

I like a nice quality watch.

like @mesquito_creek stated. It's nice to leave the phone behind at social events and i'm a freak about not being late.

About 3 months ago while helping my daughter move I lost my TAG that I paid like $900 for 20 years ago. It was a great watch. I was thinking of looking into a used Rolex but I just cant spend that much. Maybe when pool is done in Havasu and I start collecting some rent then I will buy a nice watch.