WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rolex watches off eBay

MooreMoney

Reaction score
I would only buy from a Rolex dealer period. Way to many good fakes.

Also if you ever buy a Rolex keep everything it comes with. Box, receipt, bag ect. So when you go to sell it no questions it’s legit. I have more watches then I need but for some reason I like buying and selling them.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I would only buy from a Rolex dealer period. Way to many good fakes.

Also if you ever buy a Rolex keep everything it comes with. Box, receipt, bag ect. So when you go to sell it no questions it’s legit. I have more watches then I need but for some reason I like buying and selling them.

Box and papers also enhance the value [emoji106]

On the flip side, if looking for pre-owned and you’ll never flip/sell it, buying a nice watch that lacks box/papers can net you a good discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Bob's Watches in Newport Beach is your best bet. I am not a fan of Rolex for all the reasons listed above about allocation, although I want my Panda Daytona, but not at those prices. Secondary market is above MSRP on the stainless steel usually, but as stated, these are your options these days.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Box and papers also enhance the value [emoji106]

On the flip side, if looking for pre-owned and you’ll never flip/sell it, buying a nice watch that lacks box/papers can net you a good discount.

I ended up getting my Omega SMP 300m a few months ago, however, on the search for a couple other pieces if I can find with decent discount on secondary market, might have to offer you a bounty if you come across them ;)

cofooter

Reaction score
Related question. Where is the best place to sell a Rolex? I have a solid gold datejust I do not wear and was thinking of parting with.

copterzach

Reaction score
Related question. Where is the best place to sell a Rolex? I have a solid gold datejust I do not wear and was thinking of parting with.

Post it up here. Might sell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pronstar

Reaction score
I ended up getting my Omega SMP 300m a few months ago, however, on the search for a couple other pieces if I can find with decent discount on secondary market, might have to offer you a bounty if you come across them ;)

I love watch shopping, just let me know what you’re looking for [emoji106]

Where’d you end up getting the SMP from?

pronstar

Reaction score
I will Sunday when I get home, no idea what it is worth.......

There’s an app called Watch Recon that scrapes all the various pre-owned watch sites and forums, it could help determine value for you.

Here’s a screen grab

IMG_7360.png

MooreMoney

Reaction score
Rolex’s are in very high demand right now. If you go to a Rolex store they have zero inventory. I mean the one I do business out of has had zero watches for over a year.
Only way you are getting one (good one) is waiting. The customers that buy them often are getting priority over someone first time buying one.

cofooter

Reaction score
Its older, few light scratches, also have a diamond bezel for it. I'll post up on Sunday or Monday. Have the box but thats it.

cofooter

Reaction score
Its older, few light scratches, also have a diamond bezel for it. I'll post up on Sunday or Monday. Have the box but thats it.
Funny story, my Dad bought it at an estate sale. He wore it a few times but heard a story about people getting their arms chopped off so people could steal the watch. Don't know where he heard that. Anyways, he didn't want to wear it anymore and eventually gave it to me. I'm not a watch guy, so I don't wear it much.

adam909

Reaction score
Im a watch collector and ill buy some high end replicas. Knowing what I know due to the high end of the replica watches I would only buy from a actual dealer if i was wanting a gen. The replica watch market is crazy scary.. The higher end rep rolex look and feel gen until you open it up.. All replicas.
IMG_0149.jpeg

traquer

Reaction score
^ Nice collection. My buddy has a few high end replicas but you can always tell. Maybe yours are better, but his omega didn't have the same blue coating on the glass as my real one (looked way too blue) and his sub date window looked different and not deep black like my dad's. He has some real ones too, it was fun comparing. And yes it's crazy scary these days.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Wanted to see if anyone had an experience on buying a watch off eBay? Been wanting a Rolex Deep-sea for years, now really have the bug to pull the trigger. Every licensed dealer I've walked into basically laughed me out of their store. No one has inventory! No sign of when they will get a shipment either. So my last resort is off eBay. All signs look like its legit but obviously spending $15k plus on a "folex" is not what I want. Anyone have experience buying a high end watch off eBay? Here is an example of what I'm looking at. Guy has great reviews authenticity guarantee etc.. What else should I look for?

I did it.... bought my first Rolly off eBay some years ago.... Submariner SS.... seller showed it as the version with the date window and it came as the version without. I had no recourse and was disappointed but live/ learn. It works fine and when I got it cleaned they confirmed its a real one. Oh well.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I did it.... bought my first Rolly off eBay some years ago.... Submariner SS.... seller showed it as the version with the date window and it came as the version without. I had no recourse and was disappointed but live/ learn. It works fine and when I got it cleaned they confirmed its a real one. Oh well.

Bummer - at least it was real.

the date version is a bit more money- but I actually prefer the thinner no date Sub.

Preferably the 14060 which is known as the "last of the best" - its the bridge watch that connects modern with vintage.

Rolex off Ebay? Only if its sold by a certed dealer or an actual watchmaker I know, otherwise not a chance in hell.....

McKay

Reaction score
Yup.

And right now, due to crazy demand and tight supply, most used stainless steel rolexes are selling for above the MSRP that dealers charge for new.

I kick myself for not buying every BLNR/Batman I could a few years ago when they were $8500… they’re twice that now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bought mine in early 2014 from what I remember and got it new from and AD at 10% off. Those were the days.

traquer

Reaction score
BTW not sure why Rolex is creating this artificial shortage in the first place.. Guess it makes it more exclusive? I walked into a dealer a while back and the sales guy seemed pretty annoyed that he didn't have anything that he could sell me.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I love watch shopping, just let me know what you’re looking for [emoji106]

Where’d you end up getting the SMP from?

Exquisite Time Pieces in Florida, I got a healthy discount and buying a watch in Florida from a company without a presence in Cali, and shipping to Cali, also had a certain advantage :)

Right now I am in search of a screaming deal on a Hamilton Pilot Day Date, I can get for like 30% off on Jomashop, but either want to pay that with a real warranty or less for a lightly used one with mfr warranty ticking. I missed a chance when Macy's had a sale it applied to them, so I am sure that is an option that would pop back up.

That's not a very expensive piece, but the next real item I am looking for is a reverso duoface, and finally narrowing down which Speedy moonwatch I want.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
BTW not sure why Rolex is creating this artificial shortage in the first place.. Guess it makes it more exclusive? I walked into a dealer a while back and the sales guy seemed pretty annoyed that he didn't have anything that he could sell me.

Supply control insures MSRP stability.

Make to many and value plummets.

pronstar

Reaction score
Supply control insures MSRP stability.

Make to many and value plummets.

Let’s not forget that Rolex makes over 1 million watches per year for authorized dealers…and quite a bit of AD inventory is sold out the back door, below MSRP, on the gray market so AD’s can ensure future allocation.

So some of their supply issues are self-inflicted by their dealer body.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Cool thread. I like Rolex watches and wear one all the time. In my opinion they are timeless and I will pass my collection to my boys. I would not buy one on eBay. There are plenty of dealers you can still find them at.

7872E6DA-73C2-41D1-BBE8-9EFE4E66FD10.jpeg

C3A6E216-ED29-4CBB-A396-DE0EAF004AF7.jpeg

JD D05

Reaction score
I got mine I guess about a year ago. The member I got it from had just got it back from Rolex getting cleaned up. I absolutely love it.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I got mine I guess about a year ago. The member I got it from had just got it back from Rolex getting cleaned up. I absolutely love it.

You can wear them everyday and then get them buffed out and detailed and they look brand new. I never take them off.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I have 2 cell phone that keep good time , let’s me know 10 minutes before the meeting is on wakes me up And let’s me know my car warranty is up 😩😉👍😎

Englewood

Reaction score
I’ve bought 2 off of eBay. Both have been verified by Rolex stores. Check reviews and verify they are a legit jeweler.

JD D05

Reaction score
You can wear them everyday and then get them buffed out and detailed and they look brand new. I never take them off.

Ya when I started wearing the watch it was perfect. Not so much anymore. My bro has the Batman and we were snowmobiling and he takes his glove off and it falls into the snow from a broken link. The guys we were riding with were blown away that he was wearing it. We did find it lol.

Reactions: SJP

Flatsix66

Reaction score
This thread has sparked my interest in looking at all my old Omega sea masters. Dusted one off today. Been years, damn heavy after wearing an Apple for the last years.

Attachments

• 90FAFCB2-E91E-4FFA-BE85-ED783BCAD3FC.jpeg
    90FAFCB2-E91E-4FFA-BE85-ED783BCAD3FC.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 73

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
I have two on Consignment at True Facet...Very large resale Co on line Only Certified Rolex Watches
Ive Bought and sold Several From them Very reliable and Easy to deal with

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Bummer - at least it was real.

the date version is a bit more money- but I actually prefer the thinner no date Sub.

Preferably the 14060 which is known as the "last of the best" - its the bridge watch that connects modern with vintage.

Rolex off Ebay? Only if its sold by a certed dealer or an actual watchmaker I know, otherwise not a chance in hell.....
Funny, I just went on used Rolex site mentioned above.... mine is asking around $10K... I don't think I paid much more than $1500 when I bought it around 20 years back. Sweet

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Funny, I just went on used Rolex site mentioned above.... mine is asking around $10K... I don't think I paid much more than $1500 when I bought it around 20 years back. Sweet

Yup. Dont you wish you'd have bought a couple now?

Glad you said it, because Its much more powerful when a 3rd party validates another claim.

I understand the whole - "I dont wear watches or dont do watches" blah blah.......

Even if you dont like or appreciate watches , you can appreciate wealth preservation and fine machinery.
The basic submariner is as secure as money in the bank over time, even better as it will outstrip inflation where cash will diminish.

There are few items a man can possess which can both be used daily, and appreciate over time.
To be honest daily wear for decades will require maintenance, but the device is as durable as an object can actually be made to be.
They need some maintenance or worth will diminish.

A Rolex sub is a companion with you through life - when all your phones and electronic toys diminish to dust and head to a landfilll your submariner will be working perfectly and worth more than when you bought it.

These aren't about "telling time", they are about your relationship with time.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Yup. Dont you wish you'd have bought a couple now?

Glad you said it, because Its much more powerful when a 3rd party validates another claim.

I understand the whole - "I dont wear watches or dont do watches" blah blah.......

Even if you dont like or appreciate watches , you can appreciate wealth preservation and fine machinery.
The basic submariner is as secure as money in the bank over time, even better as it will outstrip inflation where cash will diminish.

There are few items a man can possess which can both be used daily, and appreciate over time.
To be honest daily wear for decades will require maintenance, but the device is as durable as an object can actually be made to be.
They need some maintenance or worth will diminish.

A Rolex sub is a companion with you through life - when all your phones and electronic toys diminish to dust and head to a landfilll your submariner will be working perfectly and worth more than when you bought it.

These aren't about "telling time", they are about your relationship with time.
Nicely stated... and apparently factual.... I've never had it serviced since first acquired just to ease my mind that it was legit.... I should get it cleaned up but its been industructable.... all these years of offshore pounding and salt abuse and all I've ever done is shower with it at days end. Older I get less I wear it cause cell used for time but I still like the looks. I was drunk boating in Parker few months back and jumped off boat trailer at Launch #6 and fell hard to pavement and did a hilarious big man roll on the hot asphalt while my buddies all fell out laughing... I remember the sound of the Rollie crashing on the pavement as I rolled and thought oh well, this thing'll be toast. Nope it was just fine.... took a lick & kept on tickin!

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
Both of mine Submariners
Both Two Tone just sold one have the other White Face with Saphires And Diamond 7900.00 on True Facet

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
I got this one last year at the Wynn. I really want a sky dweller but it’s impossible to find and this one was my second choice. Walked in the Rolex store and they just put it on display. Guy said the salesmen are calling their previous customers and it’ll be gone in the next hour. I didn’t let that happen lol.

IMG_1378.jpg

Got this one couple weeks ago at the Hublot store in Caesar’s shops. This one is limited and I got the last one in all of North America. Just lucky timing as it’s a collectible. I’m in Maui right now and I walked into the Rolex store with it on and a guy wanted to buy it off me.

IMG_1379.jpg

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
The Rolex store at the Crystal shops next to the Aria had two Rolex watches in the whole store and 8 people working there lol.

golakers

Reaction score
Sold my Submariner last month. Don’t wear it so I figured make a quick $5k 🤷🏼‍♂️

sintax

Reaction score
This thread has sparked my interest in looking at all my old Omega sea masters. Dusted one off today. Been years, damn heavy after wearing an Apple for the last years.

Any speed masters you’d want to part ways with?

sintax

Reaction score
I got this one last year at the Wynn. I really want a sky dweller but it’s impossible to find and this one was my second choice. Walked in the Rolex store and they just put it on display. Guy said the salesmen are calling their previous customers and it’ll be gone in the next hour. I didn’t let that happen lol.

View attachment 1037718

Got this one couple weeks ago at the Hublot store in Caesar’s shops. This one is limited and I got the last one in all of North America. Just lucky timing as it’s a collectible. I’m in Maui right now and I walked into the Rolex store with it on and a guy wanted to buy it off me.

View attachment 1037719

Haha just had to google to figure out that yacht master bezel function. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a function like that. Pretty cool

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
4CE07EF2-AE8E-4595-8583-E12FF1D45594.jpeg

I am wearing this daily, the nato strap definitely works for me in summertime. I will put the bracelet back on when the season begins to change.