WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rolling power blackouts in effect across Texas as massive winter storm drives demand for electricity

Taboma

Reaction score
We've been buying some property in MT since that is where we want to end up (i like texas but not forever). Our realtor told us the first winter is the one that weeds out people from CA and he gets listings again from it. 😄

My sister in law and her hubby moved up to some "Banana Belt" (Ummm, yeah sure 😂) area of Montana, two years ago. He was from there originally, she was from Oceanside.
Well, they're still there, she's still alive and they're still together as of this fall anyway. We do get a chuckle when they share winter pics and she's indoors wearing 10 layers of clothes and a down jacket. 😂
Looks beautiful in other seasons, but no way in hell I could tolerate the long cold winter, be it the temps or cabin fever.
MIght be comfy for the ballers building pads up there, plenty of heat, backup everything, a caretaker, sure, big fun, but not me, nope.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
My sister in law and her hubby moved up to some "Banana Belt" (Ummm, yeah sure 😂) area of Montana, two years ago. He was from there originally, she was from Oceanside.
Well, they're still there, she's still alive and they're still together as of this fall anyway. We do get a chuckle when they share winter pics and she's indoors wearing 10 layers of clothes and a down jacket. 😂
Looks beautiful in other seasons, but no way in hell I could tolerate the long cold winter, be it the temps or cabin fever.
MIght be comfy for the ballers building pads up there, plenty of heat, backup everything, a caretaker, sure, big fun, but not me, nope.

We've been buying in that "belt" if its the one north of Dillon. IDK why, I had never heard of the place before but went there for a meeting and was like yep this is the place. Yea I was there a couple weeks ago and it's kinda funny to see the people from different areas and how they dress etc. It's gorgeous but winter is actually there now..my buddy was sending me pics of it being 30+ below Wind chill on the property we are in the middle of buying. 2 weeks ago we were bar hopping in half zip sweaters. My wife grew up in HI, i don't think she's going to like it as much as she thinks lol

playdeep

Reaction score

Dam Liberals screwing up Texas...
FB_IMG_1604891684576.jpg

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...2007... I bailed out of Harrah Oklahoma as we were being hit with an ice storm at my girlfriends horseranch... so I took off towards Austin where I hung out for a week...saw a lot of great music...
...The morning I woke up and my Dodge ram diesel didn’t want to go forward so easy...because the tires were sort of frozen to the bridge where I was camped out...Turns out the bridge was right at the driveway for the parking area for the Austin police department ...I was there a week they never said a word???...
...Anyway when the last music joint shut down because of the cold the last player was Furry Lewis and he was 98 years old at the time...Next morning I went to IHOP for breakfast... in the middle of my breakfast the manager came over and locked all the doors ....they had simply run out of food from having to feed the road workers who were deicing the roads...
... Time to leave Austin...Got on the highway I forget what highway that is that goes from Austin to Oklahoma City???...
...Could not believe that the locals did not know how to drive on black ice ...they were looping them right and left... I just put my 5.9...12 valve diesel in four-wheel-drive high...The weight of the Lance camper helped keep it glued to the highway ...and drove 50 miles an hour all the way back to Harrah Oklahoma...
... if the Texans can’t handle black ice...II wonder how they’re going to do driving through a foot of snow???...

j21black

Reaction score
If we're willing to burn, loot & murder a country over a dead drug addict, then what will come from freezing law abiding citizens to death? This could get interesting...... 🤔

I would guess, absolutely nothing.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
My niece is in college and her roommate got stuck at their apartment with no heat. She was going to her car to warm up every few hours. Finally my sister just drove the 2 hours to go rescue her. At least my sister has food, booze and a fire place for the kids.

Cdog

Reaction score
...2007... I bailed out of Harrah Oklahoma as we were being hit with an ice storm at my girlfriends horseranch... so I took off towards Austin where I hung out for a week...saw a lot of great music...
...The morning I woke up and my Dodge ram diesel didn’t want to go forward so easy...because the tires were sort of frozen to the bridge where I was camped out...Turns out the bridge was right at the driveway for the parking area for the Austin police department ...I was there a week they never said a word???...
...Anyway when the last music joint shut down because of the cold the last player was Furry Lewis and he was 98 years old at the time...Next morning I went to IHOP for breakfast... in the middle of my breakfast the manager came over and locked all the doors ....they had simply run out of food from having to feed the road workers who were deicing the roads...
... Time to leave Austin...Got on the highway I forget what highway that is that goes from Austin to Oklahoma City???...
...Could not believe that the locals did not know how to drive on black ice ...they were looping them right and left... I just put my 5.9...12 valve diesel in four-wheel-drive high...The weight of the Lance camper helped keep it glued to the highway ...and drove 50 miles an hour all the way back to Harrah Oklahoma...
... if the Texans can’t handle black ice...II wonder how they’re going to do driving through a foot of snow???...

LOL! The 35.

Some of the best Racers I know are from Texas. Some of the worst drivers I've seen were in Texas. HAHA!

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
A guy I know in Texas has been snowed in with no power and no heat source in his home for 3 days, with single digit temperatures. All his appliances and heater are electric. I can't believe he doesn't have a generator, but he doesn't.

Sent From Tapatalk

Done-it-again

Reaction score
My uncle has been without power since Friday. Has the wood fireplace going and generators running for the fireplace fan, fridge and well pump.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see if ERCOT survives this. Texas has ran its own electric grid for many years. There is a push to integrate the three big utility interconnections (aka grids) in the US. All FERC needs is an excuse.

As always, this will become about politics.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
We've been buying in that "belt" if its the one north of Dillon. IDK why, I had never heard of the place before but went there for a meeting and was like yep this is the place. Yea I was there a couple weeks ago and it's kinda funny to see the people from different areas and how they dress etc. It's gorgeous but winter is actually there now..my buddy was sending me pics of it being 30+ below Wind chill on the property we are in the middle of buying. 2 weeks ago we were bar hopping in half zip sweaters. My wife grew up in HI, i don't think she's going to like it as much as she thinks lol

BitterRoot valley, south of Hamilton is the area. I wrote Banana Belt, because it seems whenever somebody mentions moving to some God Awful freezing-ass place, it's always in the Banana Belt, and I'm thinking, what frozen bananas on a stick for shit sake ?? 😂
My wife and I have been married 37 amazing years, if I said "Honey, we're movin to Montana", all I'd hear is Fuck You, the door slam and tires squealing in the driveway as she drove to some lawyers office.
Now she did really enjoy our cruise to Alaska, but that was in August 😁

Taboma

Reaction score
OK, well after watching the tv show Ozark on Netflix, wife informs me to stop looking at property in that area or anywhere there's people like what's depicted on that show.

Now with this BS going on in Texas, you Texans can keep the place, no thanks. Nope on Montana or anywhere it's that cold. Nope on anywhere the demographics favor a certain minority that's making a lot of news of late -- I don't need any more of their bullshit, heard plenty enough " That's discrimination" during my Army days to suffice, thanks.
So little by little I'm whittling away the choices. The California wildfires are looking better and better :oops: ;)

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
OK, well after watching the tv show Ozark on Netflix, wife informs me to stop looking at property in that area or anywhere there's people like what's depicted on that show.

Now with this BS going on in Texas, you Texans can keep the place, no thanks. Nope on Montana or anywhere it's that cold. Nope on anywhere the demographics favor a certain minority that's making a lot of news of late -- I don't need any more of their bullshit, heard plenty enough " That's discrimination" during my Army days to suffice, thanks.
So little by little I'm whittling away the choices. The California wildfires are looking better and better :oops: ;)
Utah

81Sprint

Reaction score
My Dad is in Katy, right outside of Houston and has been without power since 8:30 yesterday morning and it was 17 degrees outside this morning. He already has pipes in his house freezing and put his propane garage heater in the living room to stay warm. Crazy stuff

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Where’s Jao? Shouldn’t he be sending in the National Guard with water, food, snow plows, back up generators, etc... Oh Yeah Texas is a Red State that didn’t vote for his commie ass. I guess they’re fucked!!!

Singleton

Reaction score
Sister is in McKinney.
No power and no heat and pipes just blew. Had to walk her though turning off main to limit damage. She is stuck, told her next time when storm is coming make sure all cars are full of gas!

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Sister is in McKinney.
No power and no heat and pipes just blew. Had to walk her though turning off main to limit damage. She is stuck, told her next time when storm is coming make sure all cars are full of gas!

A lot of the roads/hwy's are closed...no plow and salt equipment here...at least where we are. You couldn't pay me to leave my house unless it was an absolute necessity right now. The insurance claims from pipes are going to be absolutely insane.. The shit part of this is there is nowhere to go..hotels don't have power either..the ones that do are full. It's a bad situation for a lot of people.

Singleton

Reaction score
A lot of the roads/hwy's are closed...no plow and salt equipment here...at least where we are. You couldn't pay me to leave my house unless it was an absolute necessity right now. The insurance claims from pipes are going to be absolutely insane.. The shit part of this is there is nowhere to go..hotels don't have power either..the ones that do are full. It's a bad situation for a lot of people.

Car with gas = heat when needed.
Her 200g fish tank is now a cemetery - battery backup ran out of power

jet496

Reaction score
Maybe this is just Texas hospitality to make all the newly settled CA escapees feel right at home 🤣
LOL. We have friends visiting their daughter in Lubbock & they've been dying to mover there. They may think twice now before leaving the spoils of San Diego.

Wedgy

Reaction score
LOL. We have friends visiting their daughter in Lubbock & they've been dying to mover there. They may think twice now before leaving the spoils of San Diego.

It is nowhere near as bad in Lubbock as it is being described in SA, Austin, Houston.

You have to be tough to live out here in "The Dirt."
Straight shot to Canada. I've seen it do this in April here. Not this bad, but. We have had record lows here before, and we will have them again.

I agree totally about the snowplows.
Also stupid people who are civic leaders, who don't have a clue.

The problem is not enough generation capacity from fossil fuel fired plants. It is stupid to "Go Green." Cali has shuttered way too many Plants. Chula Vista, Carlsbad. Just in SD County. Stupid, stupid move.

Wind and Solar make up way too much percentage of the Texas Grid.
That is totally asinine.

One Comet impact will shove that "Green New Deal," straight up their Commie Ass. Like Humans really can control the Climate. It's a Grift.

But what do I know. I'm just a Used Tilesetter. From a Dry Farm Family in Anton, TX.

When the Army surveyed this area in the 1800's, they said, and I quote, "This area is so desolate, no-one will ever live here..."

The last refuge of the wild Indians.

I love it here. I ended up in Cali,, cause Dad was a Marine.
Rain, shine, sleet or snow. Bring it.

Last edited:

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
My Dad is in Katy, right outside of Houston and has been without power since 8:30 yesterday morning and it was 17 degrees outside this morning. He already has pipes in his house freezing and put his propane garage heater in the living room to stay warm. Crazy stuff
Was down there a couple weeks ago our site has no power ☹

Last edited:
Reactions: DWC

LowRiver2

Reaction score
We've been buying some property in MT since that is where we want to end up (i like texas but not forever). Our realtor told us the first winter is the one that weeds out people from CA and he gets listings again from it. 😄
100% it does,
45 relatives there
Most have winter mobiles in Yuma once they hit 50 , true story

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Do you think Texas will be lucky enough to chase some of them bay area folk out of here after all this?? One can dream
Hopefully
Southern Utah or NV is the only places Cal natives can flourish without freezing IMHO.
(I’ll probably piss some off for saying it lol)
Helena MT just got above 0 degrees after 11 days.
i can hang but not by choice , lol

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Hopefully
Southern Utah or NV is the only places Cal natives can flourish without freezing IMHO.
(I’ll probably piss some off for saying it lol)
Helena MT just got above 0 degrees after 11 days.
i can hang but not by choice , lol

My next door neighbors name is Helene and is from Helena, MT. Her family still has a ranch out there that she goes to for several months during the summer. Yesterday I accused her of bringing this weather home with her, lol

Last edited:

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
My next door neighbors name is Helene and is from Helena, MT. Her family still has a ranch out there that goes to for several months during the summer. Yesterday I accused her of bringing this weather home with her, lol
NopeMr.Trumps falt 😂😂dumb fucks

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Email just came in from the New Braunfels schools... school is cancelled tomorrow and likely thursday. Due to rolling blackouts heating is out at multiple campuses. 2 schools have major water line breaks. The main to the middle school is also broken for that area.. Expecting a 1/4 in of ice tonight...its already off and on freezing rain at my house.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Email just came in from the New Braunfels schools... school is cancelled tomorrow and likely thursday. Due to rolling blackouts heating is out at multiple campuses. 2 schools have major water line breaks. The main to the middle school is also broken for that area.. Expecting a 1/4 in of ice tonight...its already off and on freezing rain at my house.

Bundle up and be safe

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
First thing....I am more than a few BLs into the night and my sister in Texas told me something that made me LMAO

They have no water and she has decided not to eat so she doesn't need to shit in a bucket....lol

I am sorry but that has gone too far

That would be funny if it didn't suck so bad! Ok, it's kinda funny...

:p

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I guess 10g of snow equals one gallon of water....

Last edited:

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
Melt snow and pour it into the tank.. It's like the people letting all their food spoil instead of sticking it on their porch.
We do this all the time but we put in a cooler with little bags of water 2 hours later rock close lid

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I had to be at a job in Austin today by 11pm. I found out about this yesterday around 1pm, in Phoenix, lol. Booked the only flight I could but the Austin airport was closed, so the flight was cancelled. Next available flight would have been Friday. Not acceptable they said. So I booked the only ticket into Texas I could find last minute, flew into Dallas and rented one of Avis’ finest midsized shitboxes- and threw full coverage on it so I could ball er up and walk away. Dallas was pretty bad, most of the lights were out since the power was out, and only the main roads had been cleared. Luckily I only had to make it from the airport to I35.

The drive wasn’t that bad once I got out of Dallas until just north of Georgetown. From there things got a little more exciting, lol.

They only plowed 2 lanes, and didn’t follow the lane lines, so there was generally one good lane, and one lane that went from great to absolute shit every few miles. But they zig-zagged across the lane lines, and most of the drivers were following the plowed lanes and not the lines, or would randomly switch.

I noticed 3 groups of drivers: Those who have driven in snow and ice, I think there were a dozen of us. Those who hadn’t, but drove like it was dry, speeding and tailgating. Most of the semis fell into this category. And those who had never driven in snow, were terrified, and were blocking the good lane at 30 mph. Good times.

Made it to Austin, tried to stop for food along the way, nobody had power and everything was closed. Get to my hotel, they didn’t have a room for me because I was the only one who made it in. Restaurants are all closed, store shelves are bare, it’s a shitshow for sure. Finally got into a room, found the only place in the hotel serving food, and got a meal. They had 2 choices- pasta with chili, or pasta with seafood, lol.

But, I made it in one piece. It’s hard to describe the situation down here to someone not familiar. It’s bad- real bad. This would be like an equivalent amount of snow falling over Phoenix and Tucson, or in SoCal. It’s only going to get worse.

Thoughts and prayers to everyone affected by this.

BDBC09F7-5EAC-484C-A9BD-6D5B830A68F8.jpeg
FA77A543-1D21-47A9-A68E-ECEFC619128D.jpeg

gqchris

Reaction score
I had to be at a job in Austin today by 11pm. I found out about this yesterday around 1pm, in Phoenix, lol. Booked the only flight I could but the Austin airport was closed, so the flight was cancelled. Next available flight would have been Friday. Not acceptable they said. So I booked the only ticket into Texas I could find last minute, flew into Dallas and rented one of Avis’ finest midsized shitboxes- and threw full coverage on it so I could ball er up and walk away. Dallas was pretty bad, most of the lights were out since the power was out, and only the main roads had been cleared. Luckily I only had to make it from the airport to I35.

The drive wasn’t that bad once I got out of Dallas until just north of Georgetown. From there things got a little more exciting, lol.

They only plowed 2 lanes, and didn’t follow the lane lines, so there was generally one good lane, and one lane that went from great to absolute shit every few miles. But they zig-zagged across the lane lines, and most of the drivers were following the plowed lanes and not the lines, or would randomly switch.

I noticed 3 groups of drivers: Those who have driven in snow and ice, I think there were a dozen of us. Those who hadn’t, but drove like it was dry, speeding and tailgating. Most of the semis fell into this category. And those who had never driven in snow, were terrified, and were blocking the good lane at 30 mph. Good times.

Made it to Austin, tried to stop for food along the way, nobody had power and everything was closed. Get to my hotel, they didn’t have a room for me because I was the only one who made it in. Restaurants are all closed, store shelves are bare, it’s a shitshow for sure. Finally got into a room, found the only place in the hotel serving food, and got a meal. They had 2 choices- pasta with chili, or pasta with seafood, lol.

But, I made it in one piece. It’s hard to describe the situation down here to someone not familiar. It’s bad- real bad. This would be like an equivalent amount of snow falling over Phoenix and Tucson, or in SoCal. It’s only going to get worse.

Thoughts and prayers to everyone affected by this.

View attachment 973509 View attachment 973510

I gotta ask what Job makes it that important to jet out there to what seems like the worse storm in a hundred years? They couldnt pay me enough to deal with that!

shunter2005

Reaction score

Fun Fact, Texas is the only state that doesn't have any interconnection with other states for expanded transmission capabilities...
Rolling black outs my ass!!!! It rolled to my house and lasted for 36 frickin' hours!!!!
And we still got over 1 million users in the Greater Houston area without electricity. ERCOT, non profit allocates electricity in Texas. The Gov is pissed and has already started an investigation into this fiasco. The head guy at ERCOT gave an interview tonight on the 10:00 news. I'm betting it's his last one as head guy at ERCOT.

gqchris

Reaction score
I remember as a kid living in Kansas. We had a huge snow storm. Knocked out power for two nights. We lived on Base Housing. I must have been 5 or 6. We hung blankets in the kitchen doorways and all the family slept in there. 5 of us. We kept the stove on for heat. I look back now and wonder how we didnt all die! I thought it was so cool as a kid. We listened to Heehaw all night on the battery powered radio. Crazy how I remember this.

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
What a bunch of candy ass mother fuckers. It aint that cold. Ive been in colder. Ive lived in a day cab dump truck for a few days in the middle of the Nevada desert in colder.

3-4 days with no tv, cell phone, heat, not that bigga deal. Blankets. Hunker down and live on.

Texan can not drive in hot sunny weather let alone snow. Ive been driving around everywhere just shaking my head at the pure stupidity!! Traffic light out....stop? NOPE wtf?? I could go on but my tv show just came back from commercial

Yes this stupid Californian planned ahead!!

4Waters

Reaction score
What a bunch of candy ass mother fuckers. It aint that cold. Ive been in colder. Ive lived in a day cab dump truck for a few days in the middle of the Nevada desert in colder.

3-4 days with no tv, cell phone, heat, not that bigga deal. Blankets. Hunker down and live on.

Texan can not drive in hot sunny weather let alone snow. Ive been driving around everywhere just shaking my head at the pure stupidity!! Traffic light out....stop? NOPE wtf?? I could go on but my tv show just came back from commercial

Yes this stupid Californian planned ahead!!
Well you had to plan ahead in California, the ship is being steered by morons🤣