WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rolling power blackouts in effect across Texas as massive winter storm drives demand for electricity

squeezer

Reaction score
I havent listened to RL in 20 years and your’re a dick. Simple as that.

this is why I dont debate you idiots on RDP. You are just shit stirring and having fun at the expense of people and their pain based on it being a red state.

Yes... Because pointing out the obvious is shit stirring at others expense.

There is a lesson in this debacle, lets see who is smart enough to learn from it.

squeezer

Reaction score
Let me get this straight, you make a blanket statement saying that Texans can’t take care of them selves and your gods gift to survival. You get called out for it and now it’s “this isn’t the thread you’re looking for”.

Keyboard cowboys aren’t what they use to be

Oh and I asked you a question boy..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Luckily enough, you asking a question doesn't move the old give a shit O'meter.

In the spirit of RDP Jeopardy; read the definition of sarcasm, derision, and mockery then restate your question in the form of an answer and I might play along.

Or

Move along.

4Waters

Reaction score
Let me get this straight, you make a blanket statement saying that Texans can’t take care of them selves and your gods gift to survival. You get called out for it and now it’s “this isn’t the thread you’re looking for”.

Keyboard cowboys aren’t what they use to be

Oh and I asked you a question boy..

Squeezer actually saved the world by burning fossil fuel

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Honestly....People are dying, family members from members on here are at risk, members at risk, even Shintoooo has a friend getting frost bite and we have a douchebag coming in here trying to be cute making fun of all of it.

Dick move

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Squeezer actually saved the world by burning fossil fuel

I've already said it at least twice in this thread, it is an infrastructure problem. You @squeezer screaming more green energy at the top of your lungs is not the solution. 4waters asked you a question over and over and over and over and over again. Were waiting for your answer buddy

I'll take POS liberal who likes kicking people while their down with absolute left line toeing BS for 200 Alex.

72Hondo

Reaction score

In the spirit of RDP Jeopardy; read the definition of sarcasm, derision, and mockery then restate your question in the form of an answer and I might play along.

Or

Move along.

Wow I haven’t seen this much back peddling in a long time. Did you get bent over a deck boat at Foxes as well?

You just focus on filtering your urine for survival or some shit.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Honestly....People are dying, family members from members on here are at risk, members at risk, even Shintoooo has a friend getting frost bite and we have a douchebag coming in here trying to be cute making fun of all of it.

Dick move
Tom,
the bad part is people don’t look ahead week to week even if you don’t have a lot of money ( we don’t ) but you can prepare just have a wood pile out behind the shop cast iron is kool , toss a few extra cans of soup ( Walmart brand ) works corn meal flour bisque beans cheep hotdogs rice spuds just buy no name if you know how to cook you can make a killer meal no power just cook it like the old guys Did 😎

4Waters

Reaction score

Or

Move along.
Oh I get it, you expect someone else to give an answer but you don't have to, typical liberal double standard. I get it though, you don't like to be backed into a corner or be called out so I guess you should shut the fuck up and go to that turd forum where you will be able to share with the other butt hurt turds how the Republicans broke it off in your ass.

squeezer

Reaction score
Oh I get it, you expect someone else to give an answer but you don't have to, typical liberal double standard. I get it though, you don't like to be backed into a corner or be called out so I guess you should shut the fuck up and go to that turd forum where you will be able to share with the other butt hurt turds how the Republicans broke it off in your ass.

You forgot "Answer..."

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
lets see who is smart enough to learn from it.

What is it with you ultra AOC Liberals always trying to measure dick intelligence.

First it was your BFF Gmac telling everyone he’s a Mensa member and now you’re trying to have a cock off doing the same.

4Waters

Reaction score
You forgot "Answer..."
WTF are you talking about? Did you learn something from my earlier post about natural gas? I'm guessing you already knew that but you were going to have to eat crow to admit it. How'd that crow taste since I crammed it down your throat, I did notice that you didn't have a gag reflex.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Tom,
the bad part is people don’t look ahead week to week even if you don’t have a lot of money ( we don’t ) but you can prepare just have a wood pile out behind the shop cast iron is kool , toss a few extra cans of soup ( Walmart brand ) works corn meal flour bisque beans cheep hotdogs rice spuds just buy no name if you know how to cook you can make a killer meal no power just cook it like the old guys Did 😎

I get it. I always have stuff stocked and ready and am always talking to people just to try to be prepared as best as possible. I of course have a generator and lots of batteries and solar in the 5th wheel. Extra 60 gallons of gas....multiple large cannisters of propane, etc.....and lots of dog food and water for the pups.

What I don't like is someone coming on and talking shit at others expense. Trying to take those cheap jabs at people who were caught not prepared.

We are on the same page

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
You guys need to chill out. He’ll get his.

You’ve seen it time and again where RDP comes out to help those in need. You have it in this very thread. That happens daily on a much larger scale to good people. Shit, how many of you would help Grads after all of his nonsense? I don’t wish ill on him, but I’m not going out of my way to help a guy like that.

Someday, somewhere he’ll need someone and nobody will be there. It’s sad, actually.

Last edited:

squeezer

Reaction score
WTF are you talking about? Did you learn something from my earlier post about natural gas? I'm guessing you already knew that but you were going to have to eat crow to admit it. How'd that crow taste since I crammed it down your throat, I did notice that you didn't have a gag reflex.

Go ahead and find the post where I said anything negative about NG fired plants... (I'll wait)

While you are doing here are a few questions for you.

There are windmills working in much colder conditions than those in Texas right now (True/False)
There are gas powered plants working in colder conditions than those in Texas right now (True/False)
There are (Insert energy source here) plants working in colder conditions than those in Texas right now (True/False)

The bottom line is this. Decisions were made years ago to not make the systems cold weather tolerant. Hindsight being 2020 that was not the best choice. Overlay that on top of the independent grid and it leads to what we saw this week.

BOTH of those decisions were made to lower costs to the consumers and/or improve profit margins. It has virtually NOTHING to do with the wind/solar push this country is finally making.

The only thing being crammed down anybodys throat is the false narrative that "Windmills caused the blackouts".

squeezer

Reaction score
What I don't like is someone coming on and talking shit at others expense. Trying to take those cheap jabs at people who were caught not prepared.

Does that mean you are ready to call out the debunked "Windmills caused the blackout" propaganda for what it is?

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Does that mean you are ready to call out the debunked "Windmills caused the blackout" propaganda for what it is?

I am ready to call you out as a pot stirrer and only that. Debate with someone else.

4Waters

Reaction score
Windmills true, right after you de-ice them.

de-icing-wind-turbines.jpg

Question 2 true because Texas always has been 1st in the United States for setting record low national temps for days on end year after year, maybe San Diego should spend billions of dollars in retrofitting their gas power plants since they set single digit records all the time as well.

Question 3 true see answer to question 1 and 2

You said in an earlier post we need to get away from gas and coal power plants and go green renewable, that is eluding that natural gas is bad, I asked what was wrong with natural gas and you wouldn't answer because you knew you fucked up.

Texas could have done things differently but why, you are from Texas, is this storm something you absolutely knew without a doubt would happen this year and if so why didn't you tell someone? Has it happened before? Official records have only been kept for about 120 years maybe less in Texas so we are still learning about mother nature. You liberals keep saying the global temperature is rising and the ice cap are melting but since we only truly know the last 120 years or so of historical weather records we don't know if this is a normal 1,000 or 10,000 or 1,000,000 year cycle, ice cores only tell a small percentage of what was happening 10,000 years ago. The last time this happened in Texas may have happened 1000 years ago we don't know, we deal with it as it happens.

How's that gag reflex?

4Waters

Reaction score
Wrong... The shit talking was on other peoples pushing a false narrative.
You're pushing a false narrative, green renewable will not work at all this proved it, an iced windmill will be out of balance and have catastrophic failure, so until it is de-iced and inspected it can't be put in use and none of that matters when there is no wind to spin the renewable energy just like what happened in Texas, multiple people in this thread that live in Texas have stated there was no wind.

squeezer

Reaction score
You're pushing a false narrative, green renewable will not work at all this proved it, an iced windmill will be out of balance and have catastrophic failure, so until it is de-iced and inspected it can't be put in use and none of that matters when there is no wind to spin the renewable energy just like what happened in Texas, multiple people in this thread that live in Texas have stated there was no wind.

At what point in this conversation did you get the impression that I think we dont need conventional energy sources in the grid?

An iced windmill is only a problem because the combustion based plants also failed to some degree or another.

This event was foreshadowed in 2011.

This is an interesting summary.

Texas politicians and regulators were warned after the 2011 storm that more “winterizing” of power infrastructure was necessary, a report by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and the North American Electric Reliability Corporation shows. The large number of units that tripped offline or couldn’t start during that storm “demonstrates that the generators did not adequately anticipate the full impact of the extended cold weather and high winds,” regulators wrote at the time. More thorough preparation for cold weather could have prevented the outages, the report said.

“This should have been addressed in 2011 by the Legislature after that market meltdown, but there was no substantial follow up,” by state politicians or regulators, said Ed Hirs, an energy fellow and economics professor at the University of Houston. “They skipped on down the road with business as usual.”

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Windmills true, right after you de-ice them.

View attachment 974252

Question 2 true because Texas always has been 1st in the United States for setting record low national temps for days on end year after year, maybe San Diego should spend billions of dollars in retrofitting their gas power plants since they set single digit records all the time as well.

Question 3 true see answer to question 1 and 2

You said in an earlier post we need to get away from gas and coal power plants and go green renewable, that is eluding that natural gas is bad, I asked what was wrong with natural gas and you wouldn't answer because you knew you fucked up.

Texas could have done things differently but why, you are from Texas, is this storm something you absolutely knew without a doubt would happen this year and if so why didn't you tell someone? Has it happened before? Official records have only been kept for about 120 years maybe less in Texas so we are still learning about mother nature. You liberals keep saying the global temperature is rising and the ice cap are melting but since we only truly know the last 120 years or so of historical weather records we don't know if this is a normal 1,000 or 10,000 or 1,000,000 year cycle, ice cores only tell a small percentage of what was happening 10,000 years ago. The last time this happened in Texas may have happened 1000 years ago we don't know, we deal with it as it happens.

How's that gag reflex?

Its a lost cause. Dicks think with their wrong head....lol

4Waters

Reaction score
At what point in this conversation did you get the impression that I think we dont need conventional energy sources in the grid?

An iced windmill is only a problem because the combustion based plants also failed to some degree or another.

This event was foreshadowed in 2011.

This is an interesting summary.

Texas politicians and regulators were warned after the 2011 storm that more “winterizing” of power infrastructure was necessary, a report by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and the North American Electric Reliability Corporation shows. The large number of units that tripped offline or couldn’t start during that storm “demonstrates that the generators did not adequately anticipate the full impact of the extended cold weather and high winds,” regulators wrote at the time. More thorough preparation for cold weather could have prevented the outages, the report said.

“This should have been addressed in 2011 by the Legislature after that market meltdown, but there was no substantial follow up,” by state politicians or regulators, said Ed Hirs, an energy fellow and economics professor at the University of Houston. “They skipped on down the road with business as usual.”
Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 whole days of freezing temperatures, yup that's just like what's happening now, not to mention in 2011 the wind was actually blowing but the windmills still failed. So the green renewable failed in windy 2011 and failed in dead still 2021.

And in this conversation you said "WE NEED TO GET AWAY FROM COAL AND NATURAL GAS" keep back pedaling.

squeezer

Reaction score
Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 whole days of freezing temperatures, yup that's just like what's happening now, not to mention in 2011 the wind was actually blowing but the windmills still failed. So the green renewable failed in windy 2011 and failed in dead still 2021.

And in this conversation you said "WE NEED TO GET AWAY FROM COAL AND NATURAL GAS" keep back pedaling.

Bullshit...

I said we should backup Renewables with NG, You said we should back up NG with renewables

I then went on to say thats a distinction without a difference and the balance is set based on climate and geography.

If thats your idea of bashing NG then you better climb out of the cess pool because the waves get way bigger than that.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Go ahead and find the post where I said anything negative about NG fired plants... (I'll wait)

While you are doing here are a few questions for you.

There are windmills working in much colder conditions than those in Texas right now (True/False)
There are gas powered plants working in colder conditions than those in Texas right now (True/False)
There are (Insert energy source here) plants working in colder conditions than those in Texas right now (True/False)

The bottom line is this. Decisions were made years ago to not make the systems cold weather tolerant. Hindsight being 2020 that was not the best choice. Overlay that on top of the independent grid and it leads to what we saw this week.

BOTH of those decisions were made to lower costs to the consumers and/or improve profit margins. It has virtually NOTHING to do with the wind/solar push this country is finally making.

The only thing being crammed down anybodys throat is the false narrative that "Windmills caused the blackouts".
Here's a newsflash for your out of touch dumb ass...... NOTHING is designed or built to not have limitations. Most structural systems are designed to work perfectly for 90 to 95% of all RECORDED weather possibilities. To build for 100%, or in this situation the 102% functionality of the systems does NOT HAPPEN.

The solar generation systems in Montana or other northern states are not designed to work and cool the electronics for 120 degree days like systems in Phoenix are. That would be fiscally irresponsible and wasteful. Same for designing generation equipment in Texas to be able to withstand sub-zero temps.

There were mistakes made in the management of the grid systems. Absolutely. But when 20% of the power source cannot function, shit hits the fan. Cloudy, inclimate days + snow on the panels.... no solar. Iced up fans and little to no wimd.... no wind power. Where is the confusion there?

The majority of the failure of the gas fired generation truly sounds to be managerial decisions. Mostly the slow to react to the forecast decisions.

But hey, let's rely on more generation options that we cannot control...... genius! I think a bartender told me that one before too....

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Next door neighbors mother is in Fort Worth their natural gas fireplace is working and they also have heat ..:don’t think they’ve had any pipe freezing problems at least there is been no complaints from her...

Wolskis

Reaction score
Agreed, windmills did not cause the blackout, but as I stated earlier they contributed. As of 1830 last night, ERCOT reported 36,000 MW of generation remain in forced outage due to the winter evert. Of that, approximately 21,400 MW is thermal, (gas turbine and coal) and the rest is wind and solar.

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score
Oh boy it keeps going. If your not on the right band wagon around here your.......

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Here's a newsflash for your out of touch dumb ass...... NOTHING is designed or built to not have limitations. Most structural systems are designed to work perfectly for 90 to 95% of all RECORDED weather possibilities. To build for 100%, or in this situation the 102% functionality of the systems does NOT HAPPEN.

The solar generation systems in Montana or other northern states are not designed to work and cool the electronics for 120 degree days like systems in Phoenix are. That would be fiscally irresponsible and wasteful. Same for designing generation equipment in Texas to be able to withstand sub-zero temps.

There were mistakes made in the management of the grid systems. Absolutely. But when 20% of the power source cannot function, shit hits the fan. Cloudy, inclimate days + snow on the panels.... no solar. Iced up fans and little to no wimd.... no wind power. Where is the confusion there?

The majority of the failure of the gas fired generation truly sounds to be managerial decisions. Mostly the slow to react to the forecast decisions.

But hey, let's rely on more generation options that we cannot control...... genius! I think a bartender told me that one before too....

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

You bring up a good point and something that hasn't really been brought up.

The national weather service really screwed us in Texas this time around and its one reason that a lot of Texans were caught with their pants down. At least in Austin weather reports were showing that it was going to be just a normal cold snap that would last for 3-4 days through the weekend. It did not become apparent until Wednesday (12 days ago) that Monday was going to have such a drastic low. And it was not until the weekend that it was reported that it was going to last as long as it has. But by then, it was already too late for many people to leave home to do anything to prepare if they had not already

I had tried to leave my house Sunday to go get paint for some parts on my Cobra and couldn't get out of my neighborhood. Chains or 4wd is still pretty much a requirement and not too many people have chains in Texas, myself included. And then record snowfall happened but the real knife in the back was that the snow stuck which shut down everything. Not just our power grid.

Last edited:

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score

The national weather service really screwed us in Texas this time around and its one reason that a lot of Texans were caught with their pants down. At least in Austin weather reports were showing that it was going to be just a normal cold snap that would last for 3-4 days through the weekend. It did not become apparent until Wednesday (12 days ago) that Monday was going to have such a drastic low. And it was not until the weekend that it was reported that it was going to last as long as it has. But by then, it was already too late for many people to leave home to do anything to prepare if they had not already

I had tried to leave my house Sunday to go get paint for some parts on my Cobra and couldn't get out of my neighborhood. Chains or 4wd I still pretty much a requirement and not too many people have chains in Texas, myself included. And then record snowfall happened but the real knife in the back was that the snow stuck which shut down everything. Not just our power grid.

DFW weather reports were pretty clear that it was going to be a record breaker that lasted a while with plenty of snow. I watched it every day as my trip neared. My friends were extremely excited as they are CA transplants and had only seen dustings in the past.

There was plenty of time to prepare, which my friends did, but I they never took into account lost power. I doubt many people did. It’s going to be an absolute shit show when everything thaws and nobody has running water because their pipes are bursting. Good time to be a plumber or reseller of whole home generators.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Personal responsibility does come into play for sure. This entire thing went past reasonable but hopefully people learn from it going forward. You have to be prepared to be on your own for X amount of time when something like this happens.

Lets see how CA holds up when a big EQ hits......It will be a lot of the same situation as TX but probably over the top roaming thugs. Better be prepared and strapped to protect your family with all the loosening of laws. It will be a free for all.

Most people get complacent and then you throw in sucking off the tit it makes it much worse.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Excellent article explaining power problems in Texas.

Everybody read this, please.

zhandfull

Reaction score
Interesting.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Those potential power bills are going to wipe out some people. How are they going to resolve that issue?

WOW

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
My sister and BIL were able to rent a hotel room for a few days that does have running water which they do not have. They did this just so they can take showers.....

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Excellent article explaining power problems in Texas.

That is a damn good article. Nothing but facts with only a small and well declared personal opinion piece at the bottom. I 100% agree with what's written in that article.

Thats real reporting right there. Kudos to its author

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score

I had tried to leave my house Sunday to go get paint for some parts on my Cobra and couldn't get out of my neighborhood. Chains or 4wd I still pretty much a requirement and not too many people have chains in Texas, myself included. And then record snowfall happened but the real knife in the back was that the snow stuck which shut down everything. Not just our power grid.

This ^^^

We went to San Antonio thinking it was going to be just cold per the weather updates. Never in a million years would have we continued with our trip if we had any inclination it would have turned out the way it did.

Taboma

Reaction score
Interesting.

How much do you suppose these people might have saved during other periods using this "Indexing" billing method ?
I'm only asking because I'm not familiar with this system. I'm guessing customers were attracted to signing up for it (Assuming they were given a choice) because they felt the risk was worth the reward --- obviously, not in this case of extreme weather.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Starting to sound like the Enron situation and the early 2000's california blackouts.

Only if it is discovered that generation assetts were pruposefully being witheld to drive up spot energy prices.

c_land

Reaction score
Only if it is discovered that generation assetts were pruposefully being witheld to drive up spot energy prices.
I'll have to read up on it more. My understanding of that situation is pretty limited.... I was 9 when it happened :D

farmo83

Reaction score
Any bets on how many new boat motors you'll be installing Shlbyntro due to cracked blocks/heads?

In all seriousness I didn't realize ERCOT had no enforcement authority. I look for that to change quickly or PUC to undertake that.

Basically the way you fix this is to form a capacity market which means many dollars more on your utility bills.