WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Roof painting - So.Cal / AZ?

sintax

Reaction score
The roof paint on my 06 Silverado Duramax starting to go, clear is pretty much fully shot I think. I was wondering about getting that one panel painted, it is a metallic silver. Any goto shops that could handle that at a reasonable price? Since its the roof, I really never see it unless looking out of my second story office window.

Is it cheaper to get done in AZ vs CA? I know the CARB has really put a lot of restrictions on materials and cleanup that has really increased costs from things 20 years ago.

Beyond that, my painted fender flares are starting go go as well. Do those repaint well? I imagine that would be more sensitive to matching.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
The roof paint on my 06 Silverado Duramax starting to go, clear is pretty much fully shot I think. I was wondering about getting that one panel painted, it is a metallic silver. Any goto shops that could handle that at a reasonable price? Since its the roof, I really never see it unless looking out of my second story office window.

Is it cheaper to get done in AZ vs CA? I know the CARB has really put a lot of restrictions on materials and cleanup that has really increased costs from things 20 years ago.

Beyond that, my painted fender flares are starting go go as well. Do those repaint well? I imagine that would be more sensitive to matching.

I've got clear peeling on my 2500hd as well. Curious what the fix is on this - I imagine you have to strip all the clear off, which probably means take the whole panel back down to bare metal? Mine is only peeling on the passenger rear door and passenger bed side, but would like to get it done in the near future.

sintax

Reaction score
I've got clear peeling on my 2500hd as well. Curious what the fix is on this - I imagine you have to strip all the clear off, which probably means take the whole panel back down to bare metal? Mine is only peeling on the passenger rear door and passenger bed side, but would like to get it done in the near future.

yea, i know theres a few dudes who do custom car stuff here, so I was hoping they'd be familiar with the ins and outs. We'll see what comes up.

I really would like to keep my truck running and looking the best I can. With new trucks in that 60-80k price point, i really dont see myself getting a new one soon. I bought my 07 classic duramax for 38k brand new in 07. It has 130k on the clock and I hope it will last me a long time.

The other thing I need to fix is the headliner. That thing is looking really sad too.

J&k beer can

Reaction score
my friend had his 05 sanded down to metal on roof and hood.. its had that issue with paint peeling away..

if you have sunroof or xm antenna the headliner needs to be dropped and windshield removed so it can be done right..
safelite(hacks)did a windshield replacement previous and then cut into paint under window adhesive.. so that would have rusted if it not been taking care of..

make sure its a good shop that can do it right if your going to keep truck long term..

Gelcoater

Reaction score
my friend had his 05 sanded down to metal on roof and hood.. its had that issue with paint peeling away..

if you have sunroof or xm antenna the headliner needs to be dropped and windshield removed so it can be done right..
safelite(hacks)did a windshield replacement previous and then cut into paint under window adhesive.. so that would have rusted if it not been taking care of..

make sure its a good shop that can do it right if your going to keep truck long term..
Good info there.
My clear is pretty toast, I need pretty much an entire paint job. And I have a sunroof. So I should just plan on replacing sunroof boots and tracks before hand and a new headliner after.
Then a big heavy assed metal front bumper👍

Your ad here

Reaction score
To do it right you have to remove the windshield, rear glass, and any roof penetration items on the roof. They can "rope" the weather stripping around the glass but just have it removed. I do not recommend Prestige Auto Collision in Mission Viejo.

the510

Reaction score
did you ever get that roof painted? Im looking to get mine done as well on my 2000

Not So Fast

Reaction score
Good luck getting almost anything done without a long wait, full paints anyways, spot jobs maybe not so bad but it seems EVERyONE is so busy in todays market. I want to have the top wrapped in gloss white on my OBS truck, just a wrap and its 3 weeks wait ??
Good luck
IMG_4125.JPG